• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else got the Yoshi amiibo?

lusterkid

Smash Rookie
NNID
GrapeSodaGuru
The Yoshi amiibo is awesome. I got it along with my other favorite character, Samus.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I bought one and leveled it to 50, which only took about an hour. He's a little asshole. Just runs away and throws eggs the whole match. Seems marginally better than normal CPUs, but I still find him easy to beat. Maybe I'm a bad teacher, I don't know. I'm skeptical he's learning my inputs like I've heard advertised, since it doesn't really use any of my techniques. It just plays like a campier CPU at this point.

Last edited:

lusterkid

Smash Rookie
NNID
GrapeSodaGuru
I bought one and leveled it to 50, which only took about an hour. He's a little *******. Just runs away and throws eggs the whole match. Seems marginally better than normal CPUs, but I still find him easy to beat. Maybe I'm a bad teacher, I don't know. I'm skeptical he's learning my inputs like I've heard advertised, since it doesn't really use any if my techniques. It just plays like a campier CPU at this point.
I don't like that they can read inputs. To me, it seems less like training and more just... cheap.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Just to update, the amiibo continues learning after reaching the level cap. Since my last post, mine has learned some surprisingly intelligent combos and puts up a much better fight than when it was freshly 50.

Last edited:

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Is this serious? Are they really learning?
Because this sounds like a bad episode of Pokemon.

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
They do learn even after level 50. a good trained amiibo on level 28 can "easily" defeat a bad trained level 50 amiibo.

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
Just to update, the amiibo continues learning after reaching the level cap. Since my last post, mine has learned some surprisingly intelligent combos and puts up a much better fight than when it was freshly 50.
Do you have any replays or videos to show, particularly to compare fresh lvl. 50 to your trained one? I'm really curious to see that.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Getting mine on Friday(alongside Smash Wii U; European release!). Heard someone say in another thread that Yoshi's amiibo looks a little off. Any truth in that, or did the guy just get unlucky?

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
Getting mine on Friday(alongside Smash Wii U; European release!). Heard someone say in another thread that Yoshi's amiibo looks a little off. Any truth in that, or did the guy just get unlucky?
Well mine looks amazing, aside from a little paint flub below the left eye (there's a little bit of white "run-off" if you want to call it that.

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
I got a Yoshi amiibo. All of the Yoshi amiibos at Toys R Us were flipped over inside their boxes. Someone must have handled them roughly and they jostled loose, but only Yoshi was affected. Or perhaps they came alive and were trying to get out of their packaging.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Mine was from Game Stop and its quality is fine.

I don't have any videos to compare then and now, unfortunately. I wasn't convinced until it started reproducing some weird dtilt quirks that I have a habit of doing.

Then today, my Yoshi amiibo looked out at me through the screen and asked if it had a soul.

"No," I whispered, and I turned off the Wii.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
I got one on Friday. Me and some friends were using it as the 6th player for 3v3. That thing legitimately timed out my viliger in the last 2 mins of a game! Guess I trained it well :p

elmike

Smash Apprentice
could you train an amiibo to a level where it can beat two lv 9's CPUs?

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
I bought a Yoshi amiibo along with Smash Wii U day one, and I've been training it almost non-stop. They definitely learn from you, as it has picked up my bad habit of tossing eggs like crazy before approaching. It's actually been a great learning experience for me because I get to see what my mistakes look like when played out by the CPU, so it's additional motivation to keep improving my form and trying different tactics. I really like that it keeps learning and adapting even after reaching the level cap.

Shiri

Smash Chump
Amiibo are trainable past the level cap.
Some trainers (ugh, lol) believe that amiibo are actually more trainable once they hit the cap.
I'm not too versed with the WiiU (people should add me!), but it seems like the biggest loss here is that you can't have PKMN styled clashes where you and a friend can pit different teams of amiibo against each other one-on-one.
The implementation as it is now is pretty cool, however. Very interesting stuff.

Last edited:

GodOfSocks

Smash Journeyman
I got one c:
His name is Yarsh
He hangs out with my other amiibos Lonk and Murp
having three amiibos has taught me that I'm really bad at teams.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well, my Yoshi amiibo turned up today slightly later than planned, and I've started training it. It's surprising just how quick it starts picking up your habits, although I've noticed he throws out less Yoshi Bombs and more Flutter kicks than I do. Relentless attacker, but has finally learnt to avoid stage hazards, like Nabbit, at level 38 after being nabbed no less than three times.

I'm presuming the best way to teach them is to play as the character they are?

Shiri

Smash Chump
I'm presuming the best way to teach them is to play as the character they are?
Correct.

Also confirming that amiibo are trainable past the level cap (oh snap, didn't see that Jile confirmed this as well).

And it looks like I was wrong; you CAN get some PKMN-styled amiibo clashes set up if you really want to. It's fun.

If nobody's put it here already, make sure to train your amiibo with items on every now and then so it learns how to use items properly.

Last edited:

John Sorci

Smash Rookie
NNID
johnsorci
I did. And I'm gonna be customizing it this week to make it my Light Blue Yoshi :)

pixelatedcody

Pixelated Inkling
NNID
cncody
I went all-out with one of my paychecks and bought the first 12 set.

probably going to buy the rest. kinda sucks some are retail exclusive. I prefer shopping for stuff on Amazon... :/

Other than that the Yoshi Amiibo is my favorite next to my villager. they both really cheese me- and the CPU's with dirty tricks. :054:

NightmareTaco

Smash Rookie
I bought one. His name is Waffles. He's yellow.

He went from level 10 - 50 playing just 8 player smashes. Now he's really good at 8 player smashes but not 1v1s (he loses against other amiibos). He's the best egg thrower I've ever seen though, haha.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
lol, I just bought mine today, then went onto the boards to look up yoshi advanced tactics to try and teach them to my amiibo. I'm not even a yoshi player, i just wanted a powerful amiibo, and I think yoshi is probably the most powerful character (in terms of tier listing, and yeah, i know its way too early to call anything like real tiers) they're selling right now.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
I leveled mine to 50 in about two hours or less. Didn't take long, that's for sure. It's getting so strong that it actually puts up a challenge. The only drawback is that when I land an offstage Dair, it dies almost everytime. Otherwise, it's a match of 200% kill percentages with a tie stock everytime.

I see what you guys are saying about the camping part though. Makes it really annoying to play against.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
I was having a lot of trouble trying to teach my super campy Yoshi amiibo to be more aggressive, but I finally managed to get him to go on the offensive more often! Teaming up with him as a Yoshi and playing a good amount of 2v2's against random level 9 CPUs seems to do the trick - after about 5 rounds of that I went back to 1v1 and he was actually approaching pretty consistently.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
I just heard that amiibos get a damage boost you can't turn off. I was really excited to use it as a training partner, but now that I know that, I think it's either the perfect training partner (because it learns from you and counteracts all your strategies, and its more powerfull than you no matter what) or it's worthless garbage (because it's not an actual facsimile for a yoshi).

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
I noticed that my amiibo are knocked back less by my attacks than they should be. Looks like their defense also gets better by itself as well. I was avoiding customizing them for a reason, but I guess that's out the window.

WECsoul

Smash Cadet
NNID
WECsoul
3DS FC
0259-1277-6150
somehow my yoshi (lvl. 50) is spamming with eggs all the time although I almost didn't use them against it at all. Another problem is that my yoshi dodges very well but very often as well, even if there are no attacks. yesterday it had a battle against another amiibo (link) and watching it was a real pain

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Yeah, they're spammy and they spot-dodge constantly, regardless of whether you train them to or not.

I don't really do much with the Amiibo (because playing it got old pretty fast), but I was able to break it out of its defensive habits to a degree with some doubles training after 50.

Last edited:

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Got mine a couple days ago, kinda surprised at the quality of paint on them. I went through several Yoshi and Samus amiibos because of the imperfections of paint. Anything special I need to know about when training?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I was going to get one from the beginning. It's the closest I'll ever come to having a Yoshi virtual pet.

He's not very talented, but I managed to get him to perfect pivot. I consider that a huge accomplishment.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I feel like I should get a Yoshi amiibo incase nintendo discontinues them like samus and I believe fox.

I'd only use it for Hyrule Warriors tho for free stuff everyday.
inb4 1 rupee everyday for a week

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
I did. He's pretty cool, and actually is very good at holding his own.

SnukmssTheChicken

Smash Rookie
I got my Yoshi Amiiibo for 2014Christmas I was very surprised and shocked I thought I was terrible as Yoshi I turned out to be great!

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I put off getting Yoshi for a long time, but I finally picked mine up today. Interestingly, I had to hop to a few different stores to find one. Target had 2 that were in really bad shape, so I waited it one and picked him up from Walmart. He's not bad, a bit of sloppy paint here and there, but I was considering getting him repainted anyway.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
My Yoshi amiibo does Dthrow to UpB and throwing an egg, weird. Kind of unhappy with his AI and I'm probably gonna reset him to break his habits and get him to stop what he's doing.

Aki

Smash Cadet
NNID
Im_Aki
3DS FC
1306-5844-3434
I'd pick a Yoshi amiibo up but I really dislike Yoshi dittos. Sadly I can't find any DDDs so I might get Samus.

Top Bottom