• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else doesn't enjoy Melee that much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDragon64

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8521-4195-4716
The fans not being able to move on
The game is BROKEN and no one will say it Cuz they GOT TO HAVE FOX S TEIR!!!
Getting into the game to Impossible
There are like only three fighters in the game that people use :foxmelee::falcomelee::marthmelee:
Yeah the game is a smash bros game but the Fans have made the game not as fun and have destroyed the casual fun that it was made to have...
And not to mention they Ruined Brawl And I ain't TRIPPING (hehe) when I say that brawl is a good game and you don't a ROM HACK for it to be fun

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
I love Melee single player, hate it's multiplayer. I really think the balance is bad and the physics are bad and the emergent techniques aren't fun. I don't have to worry about that single player.

Every other Smash I like, but don't love single player and absolutely adore multiplayer (yes even Brawl)

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
There are like only three fighters in the game that people use :foxmelee::falcomelee::marthmelee:
Yeah the game is a smash bros game but the Fans have made the game not as fun and have destroyed the casual fun that it was made to have...
Pal, it seems you have more of a problem with the Melee fan community. As previously mentioned, the game may be broken but you have to realize it was made in a year and a half.
And what exactly do you mean getting into the game is impossible? Again, it may just be a personal thing but I found the game just as pleasant and tight as any other Smash game. You're not going to learn all the tricks straightaway.
Hate to be barraging you with questions, but what was the first entry in the series for you? Tastes can be influenced based on your previous experiences and if your first Smash game was Sm4sh/Brawl, Melee may seem unpolished and sloppy in that regard.

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
Casually Melee is enjoyable. Competitively? No. Take it away, take it far away.

That's basically my stance. I personally consider it the weakest entry in the series.

But hate? Nah. People like different entries for different reasons. If people want to play this game competitively for various reasons, all power to em. I have no interest in watching the competitive melee scene but there are those who do and I have no qualms with those who do.

RedDragon64

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8521-4195-4716
Pal, it seems you have more of a problem with the Melee fan community. As previously mentioned, the game may be broken but you have to realize it was made in a year and a half.
And what exactly do you mean getting into the game is impossible? Again, it may just be a personal thing but I found the game just as pleasant and tight as any other Smash game. You're not going to learn all the tricks straightaway.
Hate to be barraging you with questions, but what was the first entry in the series for you? Tastes can be influenced based on your previous experiences and if your first Smash game was Sm4sh/Brawl, Melee may seem unpolished and sloppy in that regard.
My first smash game was SMASH 4 Wii U and you have a good point I mean if your first Mario game was Super Mario Odyssey then you see
Mario 1 then you might say "WOW THIS GAME SUCKS" The only Mario game you have played at that time was Super Mario Odyssey so you have nothing to compare it to I have played all of them and I know what to compare it to
And What I mean by "Getting into the game to Impossible" is if a casual fan that has never played high tier play and has to learn it will be hard
and unless you have natural talent you won't get far in the tourneys
it is a broken spam glitch fest of who can spam the button the fastest

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I love all Smash games, the Melee community really isn't as bad as it's made out to be, I'd argue that Smash 4's is worse. I played Melee ever since I was a little kid, but that said, I don't like it as much as the newer ones, they feel a bit better for me.

K.K. Slider

Smash Rookie
I like Melee. I like 4 better, but Melee is a nice alternative when you want something different. I think the whole "Three characters used" is a common misconception of Melee's meta. Truth is, for an old game the meta actually continues to shift. Arguably the best player in the world(HBox) is a Puff main. Armada one of the Melee "Gods" uses Peach as his main. M2K uses Marth, Sheik, you name it. Then you have guys like Hugs who use Samus, Chudat uses Ice Climbers, Amsa uses Yoshi, Axe on Pikachu, etc. Although the community can have a few elitists and toxic players I don't think it's that bad all in all. I think anyone who truly loves smash should give it a try. If players could learn to accept all games and play in unity, this community can be even better than it is now. This is a goal we should all strive to achieve.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Well, that's fair LOL. HBox is really good. It's just hard for me to say who's the best because it's such a streaky game in a way. As of recent, Hungry Box is #1.
A moment of silence for his EVO 2018 dreams...

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
And not to mention they Ruined Brawl And I ain't TRIPPING (hehe) when I say that brawl is a good game and you don't a ROM HACK for it to be fun
>August 2018 join date

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I like Melee and its not my favorite in the series (Brawl is, and no NOT Project M). That said, its not fans of Melee that ruin(ed) the game, its certain types of fans, and that can be said about literally anything. I'm a fan of Melee, and I really don't need to ever go back and play it again. The game can be whatever you want it to be. I'm sure you can find three other people that just want to have fun with items on Fourside. Every game has a toxic crowd. Evo showed how ugly some Mele AND Smash 4 players can be.

My least favorite Smash is Smash 4. It has nothing to do with the fans, because I don't let fans get to me when the game can be played perfectly offline (online games that were designed specifically to be played with others is a harder problem to get around). So I don't think any Smash game can be ruined for me because of certain player bases :/

Last edited:

ADAS20

Smash Cadet
Well melee has a different flavor compared to other smash series. If you dont like the flavor, dont eat it more.

K.K. Slider

Smash Rookie
I mean, all these really did was show what we know. It's an OLD GAME it's gonna have disjoint. The brokenness of the game is what makes it unique. To pull off some of the exploits requires a lot of tech skill. It's a hard game. But, evidently I respect your opinion.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I was going to close this immediately, but the actual, sensible discussion here's stayed my hand. Tweaked the title though, and I'll be keeping an eye on things.

As for the actual topic, I do like Melee, but having played it non-stop for 7-odd years, my tastes have gone more to the newer games just for fresh content. I can't play the same thing forever.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I personally do enjoy watching it, but as for playing it, probably not as much. It's just not my style. I'm fine with playing any other game in the series though, with the exception of Project M.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Me. Model work was terrible, soundtrack is unimpressive, controls were too responsive and it doesn't have a lot of cool things later Smash games have. Doesn't help its fandom has A LOT OF bad apples.

Guidodinho

Smash Rookie
Okay, imma just ignore all of the 'community' argumets cuz i don't think they matter. But the game being BROKEN, is one of the main reasons I still like melee the most to this day. Just because of that big 'ol glitchfest, you can move around the stage like an out of controll projectile (if you're in controll of those nutty glitches). To slam more metaphors into this, you can compare the gamecube controller to a guitar, and the game to a ' Dragonforce' song (look up ' through The fire and flames, and the first 20 seconds of the song, wich has some insanely fast jerking on those strings). It's not my type of music, but the point is: the sheer going wild on your instrument while being in complete controll of what you're doing, wich very few games can accomplish like that.

To top it off with another silly metaphor. While going nuts on your 'instrument' it's more Dragonball-Z-esque action than any Dragonball game has accomplished (in my not-so-humble oppinion). And most die-hard melee fans grew up with that ****. So yeah, it's kinda of a crazy button-presser's delight, if that makes more sence.

D

Deleted member

I mean, I don't hate Melee, Or 64 Smash. Just the community, in my experience, tends to be a bit rude and bashes on Smash 4 players like me when I don't even disrespect them at all. And the fact that Zelda is almost unusable in Melee, makes it much worse. Also, the game is extremely broken, to the point if being unfair. So I play Melee casually with some buddies every once and a while but i could never get into the competitive aspect of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I mean, I don't hate Melee, Or 64 Smash. Just the community, in my experience, tends to be a bit rude and bashes on Smash 4 players like me when I don't even disrespect them at all.
Lots of people are picking up and trying Melee, don't let those sour apples ruin what really is a fun game.

Omni calls these players "The 2%ers" because they're vocal, rude, but most importantly, they're a minority.

And the fact that Zelda is almost unusable in Melee, makes it much worse.
But Zelda is unusable in every game. In fact, she's not bottom tier like she is in following games.

Also, the game is extremely broken, to the point if being unfair.
Can you clarify on what you mean by "broken"? AT's are broken? I don't think shield dropping, wavedashing, L-Cancelling, crouch cancelling, and such are breaking the game? They are for the most part, movement options and add depth to any given scenario. Again, how is this broken? How is it detrimental? The engine allows these actions; and Z-Cancelling was in 64, so that was definitely intentional. Z-Cancelling was even in the Japanese 64 manual.

The diversity isn't the best, but it's actually not that bad, a good chunk of the cast is regularly used in tournament. Brawl had stuff like DACUS. Is that a glitch, a buggy mess, all these other ridiculous accusations? Or is it just... a movement option?

Last edited:

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
And the fact that Zelda is almost unusable in Melee, makes it much worse.
Have you tried PM?

Btw Zelda is basically also unusable in Smash 4. Not that I disagree with your sentiment that playing Zelda in Melee is rough and depressing (because it is).

If you want the best incarnation of Zelda, give PM a go ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom