• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who do you WISH you mained?

Kolbvrn

Smash Rookie
You know character(s) that you absolutely love but you're not into their playstyle? Or maybe you're a tier list cloner and only will play with the top tiers?
Who do you wish you mained or was better?
Personally I wish I liked Mewtwo a lot more than I do.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
I don't really have any characters that I wish I played but don't based on the reasons you mentioned, but there are several characters I won't touch with a 10 foot pole only because they have such horrid balance problems that their viability suffers to the point of me not wanting to use them. Doc is probably the one I have the most attachment to, there is absolutely NO reason for his recovery to be as bad as it is.. and yet.. ugh. I love Doc and he'd be a set-in-stone pick for my secondary list if he didn't die for free offstage 90% of the time.

Mewtwo in Ult is in a strange place. He has a lot of good tools and, a lot of good is present overall for the character.. but his tail being a part of his hurtbox does him zero favors and combined with the fact he cannot land or escape disadvantage well as-is.. he's screwed HARD once he loses neutral, condemning him to mid-tier placement forever unless he's fixed. I actually quite like Mewtwo and I do alright with his playstyle, but making a mistake with him gets you punished so hard I can't see playing him as ever worth it.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Shulk.

I have an original copy of Xenoblade, and he was one of my most-wanted characters in the post-Brawl Speculation days.

And then he came out and instead of all his arts, he got this stupid buff/debuff system that was a pain to use and didn't reflect any sort of canon.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
I can't comment on how accurate he feels to his games, but Shulk in Ultimate is extremely viable and a real threat in the right hands, I wouldn't say he's a character one would have a hard time maining outside of learning to properly manage Monado Arts and such.

If you just can't play him for design reasons though, that's different.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I'm fine with :ultridley:. <3

In all seriousness though, I wanted to main Ganondorf in Brawl / 4 but every time I played as him I didn't do very well, so I usually played Link instead. In SSBU, however, the character I wanted to main is the one I have chosen to main, so I'm quite happy.

I do, however, want to use Charizard as a second, but I cannot due to him being behind the Pokemon Trainer.

Last edited:

Buuhan

Is mayonnaise an instrument?
I just wish that I could get better using ivysaurs recovery and maybe get a little better at squirtle combos and switching mid air to recover.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I would use Luigi more often if his recovery wasn't completely terrible.

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
1st being :ultkirby:
&
2nd being :ultmetaknight:

I wish I was better with both of them, especially Kirby, but my playstyle has a liking to characters who are a bit more beefy (don’t die as early). Well to be straight, I mained MK before Ryu’s release on Wii U, but I’ve lost my touch with him very much so.
I main my third favorite character in the roster who happens to be :ultryu:. When it comes to my playstyle, he simply fits me perfectly. Beefy, combo heavy, technical, and fairly all around.

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Read this at first as “who do you wish you married?”.

I guess Bayonetta, even though I can play her on a casual level. I just can’t really deal with landing her conversions in a competitive match, and it’s fairly easy for me to get blown up as her.

Last edited:

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
I know :ultlucas: is better overall, but I'll never get over his combo throw being nerfed. This change made his entire game plan entirely different than I'm used to, so even though I still know his moveset well, he fell from being my main in Smash 4 to simply a for-fun character in this game.

Last edited:

alhecks

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
ALHE#265
Switch FC
SW-6570-1974-7503
Definitely Ice Climbers. I've been a huge fan of the original Ice Climbers game and I used to play them all the time in Melee and Brawl. Love their play style a lot even though I can barely do a desynch.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
So the thing is I'm pretty happy with who I mainly play (:ultdarkpit::ultyoshi:) but if there was one character I wished I was really good with that I'm not sure I ever will be with it'd be :ultsonic:.
Sonic can do some especially cool stuff in Ultimate but I think I lack the motivation to master his speed, technical comboes, and deal with the fact that one of his specials is kinda redundant lol. I'd want to be able to play Sonic similar to SuperGirlKels but for various reasons I think thats more commitment than I can give.
:ultgreninja: might be another (and would otherwise take the place of Sonic) but I need to put in the time with him before I can say that and believe I can be really good with Greninja at a level I'd be pleased with more so than Sonic.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
I feel Sonic has actually been knocked down quite a peg going from 4 to Ult, you can't just camp people out nearly as much when the entire cast got much faster by comparison to him.. plus he had some other nerfs that hurt him.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I feel Sonic has actually been knocked down quite a peg going from 4 to Ult, you can't just camp people out nearly as much when the entire cast got much faster by comparison to him.. plus he had some other nerfs that hurt him.
Yup, thats what I've been hearing but I don't actually care about that or how 'viable' a character is in the competitive scene as I don't go to any tournaments.
The thing is, I never played a campy Sonic and as far as the changes are concerned the buffs made to his neutral special and dash attack make the character more playable for me compared to past games.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Yup, thats what I've been hearing but I don't actually care about that or how 'viable' a character is in the competitive scene as I don't go to any tournaments.
The thing is, I never played a campy Sonic and as far as the changes are concerned the buffs made to his neutral special and dash attack make the character more playable for me compared to past games.
Good man. Campy Sonic players make me want to gouge my eyes out.

Last edited:

KitFlix

Smash Rookie
I've been messing around with Sheik recently but man does she absolutely blow. For me, it's really easy to land hits and do long strings but only do like 7 percent. Meanwhile I walk into an f-tilt once and take 15%. I hope 3.0 gives her some damage buffs because she's really fun but not competitively viable at all.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I'd love to be good at Duck Hunt, cos of all the crazy **** they can do with projectiles and the fact that a literal dog (not even an anthropomorphic one like Isabelle) is fighting in Smash

But I just can't really do well with them

osby

Smash Obsessed
:ultbayonetta: and :ultsonic:. I'm a fan of their games but they are really hard to control for me in Smash. Also::ultisabelle::ultrichter:. I wanted to main them before release but that didn't turn out well.

Here's hoping Joker won't be among them after his release.

Nutty Sponge

Smash Apprentice
I adore :ultshulk:, so I would never change my main.

However
I always wanted to play Fox alongside Shulk, but I hate his play style and just went to using Wolf as a co-main

Also, really wanted to learn :ultluigi:, but I just can't master his play style at all... so I'm inclined to stick to :ultmario:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
IDK about maining but i do like animal crossing so i kind of wish villager and isabelle were a bit more fun to play as rather than rarely being played as they are now.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Wii Fit Trainer
Y'know, I wouldn't put her too far outside of mid tier.. but she messes my ass up BADLY because of my MU inexperience. She always surprises me, I think she could grow a LOT in the meta.. she's very cool.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Lucina. I could say I want her to be decloned, but let's not go there. I just don't seem to do that well with her despite how good people say she is.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Lucina. I could say I want her to be decloned, but let's not go there. I just don't seem to do that well with her despite how good people say she is.
How do you play? Like what sort of playstyle meshes best with your natural tenancies? Lucina requires precise speed / timing and good spacing above all else to start bleeding mileage out of her. She's also quite combo heavy.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
How do you play? Like what sort of playstyle meshes best with your natural tenancies? Lucina requires precise speed / timing and good spacing above all else to start bleeding mileage out of her. She's also quite combo heavy.
Not sure if I can define it, but off the top of my head, probably punish heavy. In other words, perhaps the worst style.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Not sure if I can define it, but off the top of my head, probably punish heavy. In other words, perhaps the worst style.
Lucina doesn't mesh the worst with that, she has the speed and range to punish people for a LOT of stuff other characters wouldn't have the window for. She can also dive off the stage, not caring at all as she edge guards the hell out of you and still makes it back. Edge guarding with Lucina is totally lacking in stress, you rarely if ever fear death offstage.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Lucina doesn't mesh the worst with that, she has the speed and range to punish people for a LOT of stuff other characters wouldn't have the window for. She can also dive off the stage, not caring at all as she edge guards the hell out of you and still makes it back. Edge guarding with Lucina is totally lacking in stress, you rarely if ever fear death offstage.
Hmm, thanks. Not sure how useful it will be since I live in the middle of nowhere though, and Quickplay's matchmaking bodies me.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Hmm, thanks. Not sure how useful it will be since I live in the middle of nowhere though, and Quickplay's matchmaking bodies me.
I'm available lots of the time through the week closer to the PM (EST) hours later in the day if you just want someone to play with. I don't mind being a training dummy, I love helping people and simply playing this game, I'll even adopt certain playstyles and hyper-focus on them if you wanted to train in one particular area.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'm available lots of the time through the week closer to the PM (EST) hours later in the day if you just want someone to play with. I don't mind being a training dummy, I love helping people and simply playing this game, I'll even adopt certain playstyles and hyper-focus on them if you wanted to train in one particular area.
Maybe I could take you up on that, but I'm not sure about the internet. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Maybe I could take you up on that, but I'm not sure about the internet. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't.
If it works at all, it'll do. Especially since we'd just be practicing, I know lag sucks (believe me.. I know) but sometimes you sadly have to manage with it. Up until I got my ethernet / LAN adapter I had a very inconsistent connection that would just.. make me sad. It's gotten more consistent post-LAN, provided the connection on the other end is ALSO stable.. but it's still not perfect. That said, screwing around and practicing in BA's can still work very well. If we got into more serious games it could be an issue, but ah well dying to a laggy Falcon Punch can still be hype as hell.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
  • :ultmewtwo: He was my first "main" back in Melee before I even knew what the term meant, and the fact that I can't jive with him in this game like I used to makes me so sad.
  • :ultgnw: I wish he wasn't so bad and played more like he did in past games. (I miss parachute Nair...)
  • :ultduckhunt: I really like this character and even own their amiibo, but their turtle-y playstyle just doesn't work for me in this game.
  • :ultness: I've always kind of wanted to play Ness (especially since playing Earthbound a few months back), but his wonky recovery just turns me off from ever using him.
  • :ultluigi: I like Luigi's goofy portrayal in Smash a lot, but his weird, floaty movement just doesn't work with me.
  • :ultpacman: I envy Pac-Mains who can seemingly pull a zero-to-death combo out of their asses at any time with the right setup.
  • :ultshulk: Xenoblade Chronicles is one of my favorite games of all time, and I'd probably main Shulk if he wasn't as weird and technical as he is. Still fun, though.
Though I have since discovered the raw majesty of the King, so it's not all bad. :ultkingdedede:

Last edited:

alhecks

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
ALHE#265
Switch FC
SW-6570-1974-7503
  • :ultmewtwo: He was my first "main" back in Melee before I even knew what the term meant, and the fact that I can't jive with him in this game like I used to makes me so sad.
  • :ultgnw: I wish he wasn't so bad and played more like he did in past games. (I miss parachute Nair...)
  • :ultduckhunt: I really like this character and even own their amiibo, but their turtle-y playstyle just doesn't work for me in this game.
  • :ultness: I've always kind of wanted to play Ness (especially since playing Earthbound a few months back), but his wonky recovery just turns me off from ever using him.
  • :ultluigi: I like Luigi's goofy portrayal in Smash a lot, but his weird, floaty movement just doesn't work with me.
  • :ultpacman: I envy Pac-Mains who can seemingly pull a zero-to-death combo out of their ***** at any time with the right setup.
  • :ultshulk: Xenoblade Chronicles is probably my favorite game of all time, and I'd probably main Shulk if he wasn't as weird and technical as he is. Still fun, though.
Though I have since discovered the raw majesty of the King, so it's not all bad. :ultkingdedede:

Duck Hunt plays really aggressively with his projectiles, I rarely turtle with him and get good results.

G&W is honestly really hard to master in this game, very hard to play but yet another character I get good results with, though not as good as DH.

My friend is a Pac Main, and I've seen him grow with Pac. It's all time and skill, and lots of practice.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
From Melee Era:
:foxmelee: While Link and Samus were also very important characters in Smash 64 to catch my attention to smash (and Nintendo). Fox was the one that made me go "Oh my god, who is this guy? He's so awesome!". His portrayal in Melee is still my favorite version because he looked cool and sounded a bit cool. He's also the fastest character, and I love going fast in games. However, :marthmelee:Marth and :linkmelee: Link were better at killing computers because they could safely attack the CPUs with their long swords to be safe even when hitting a perfect block which really hindered the amount of time I'd play Fox. Then in Brawl it got worse because in Brawl onwards his voice is so annoying and grates at my ears a bit. Didn't help that when I played star fox assault (the only game I've played from the series currently) made me dislike fox because he was a just a generic commander good guy which made him very boring in my eyes because I hoped for more. Perhaps someday I'll pick him up again because he's still really fun to play and do well with, just there's too many characters in the roster that I catch my interest more than him now. (especially since :wolf:Wolf is in)
:mewtwomelee: Fresh off of watching the first pokemon movie, I fell in love with Mewtwo because at the time having tons of power was an easy way for me to love a character, along with being a villain. Also Mewtwo said a few lines that were among some of the thoughts I had at the time too. Though when I found out he was in Melee I went to unlock him asap. Then I was very disappointed that he wasn't the OP godlike psychic character that he was in his movie as he was my worst (and still is) my worst character in Melee. Then that totally changed my view on how I view all characters in all forms of media from that day forward, because I realized that there were more to characters than just their powers. So for a while I hated Mewtwo so hard because of that. Then later on I would rewatch the movie and remember the other reasons why I loved him, and also saw the cut footage that made me like him in different ways as well. I may not love him as much as I did as a kid, but I still love him again now for better reasons. I never had the time to play with Mewtwo in Smash 4 all that much because I was focused on other characters at the time. However, nowadays I've been trying to play :ultmewtwo: Mewtwo in Ultimate. It was a rough start, kinda like reliving the Melee days, but that was because I was playing him how I saw people playing him in Smash 4 as people were usually extremely aggressive with him. Also, Mewtwo feels very slow compared to other characters. Though maybe it's just because I'm used to to perceived speed of other characters I've used. :ultmetaknight::ultridley::ultpichu::ultwolf::ultsheik::ultroy:. Perhaps it's just that Mewtwo is a bit on the big side, and his animations make his speed look slow. Now after a while of getting my butt handed to me, I decided to take a more passive route with Mewtwo, and I started doing very well with Mewtwo. I still have a ways to go though, but he no longer feels helpless in a fight and I can do well against some of my friends that play way more than I do right now. I also love playing him more because I stopped thinking of his gameplay as Mewtwo, and just something else entirely (because I find his moveset to portray him pretty bad. He's psychic type, he is he punching+tail whipping so much?) so his gameplay is significantly more fun because of that which leads me to experiment more instead of being salty (the subtle kind of salt that you don't usually don't notice is there basically). So now that I love his gameplay, I plan to watch the movies that have mewtwo in them (even the weird Mewtwo that has a different story) and see if I can push him into "loyalty main/secondary" status.
Short lived Brawl Era
There's only one character I was hoping would get into Smash really badly and that was :metaknight:Meta Knight. I'm a sucker for swords because of him and Zelda 1+3. Meta Knight introduced me to the concept of a duel (which was mindblowingly awesome to me) which was a major source of motivation to improve throughout life because seeing him be a Kirby made me go "I can be that awesome too!?" because he was doing all these sweet moves in the duel. I do not have an idol I look up to in life, but if I was held at gunpoint to choose, it'd have to be Meta Knight. He just looks cool as well because I'm a sucker for masks, capes, and bats (so yay for superstar for giving him bat wings). I love how in Sm4sh and early SmUsh I kinda took on the teacher role that Meta Knight does, and now my friends that I used to beat easily, have taken my advice and are now able to absolutely stomp on bad players and even beat me pretty regularly. (Oh I can't wait to get the time to practice up again consistently so I can show them new things and we have even more awesome duels!)

I was shocked at how they decided to add in Meta Knight. He doesn't have his tornado (not the mach tornado, the other one), or sword beams that he's had since Superstar. He doesn't even have his down thrust that should have been his down air that he has had in literally every fight ever including his first appearance (yet we have a bazillion characters in the roster that have that kind of down air, yet never did that in their games, go figure). So another case of questionable representation in smash, but at least he still felt good. He's a fast, multijumping sword fighter. I loved playing him in Brawl, but never really played him against a player. Though once I heard that Smash 4 was coming out, and also that Meta Knight was absolutely overpowered in Brawl I decided to wait until Sm4sh to try him again. Made me happy hearing that his first appearance he was crazy strong though because it made me go "Ah, so his tradition of being the toughest opponent in every game he is in continues." However, I'd rather play a bottom tier than play someone who is so powerful that it's almost cheating. I like feeling that I'm actually fighting, not exploiting. Whenever I go back to Meta Knight in Brawl it feels like I'm cheating, because he's nerfed so heavily in Smash 4 (which he needed, and I expected). :4metaknight:Sm4sh Meta Knight is the first time I tried really hard to main a character because I wanted to master one character before trying other characters again. He was my worst character for the longest time in Sm4sh. After playing a bit of Sheik, it all clicked into place and I was able to kick butt with Meta Knight again and he was easily my best character for a while. However, there's a problem with Meta Knight. With basically any other character in the game, I can take a long break from the game, come back and do just as well with that character as I did before the break. However with Meta Knight, he goes back to being one of my worst characters after a break every time, meaning I have to consistently play smash if I want to stay good with Meta Knight. Realizing this I stopped playing him for a bit to do 100 matches with all characters for the rest of Sm4sh. :ultmetaknight:SmUsh Meta Knight feels better in every way, and since I was terrible at the ladder combo, he was just better for me overall. First day/week of unlocking him I just absolutely demolished everyone I saw, and anyone that could beat me, I was able to adapt to. So I definitely know Meta Knight is fun and can be my best character. However, he still has that problem of if I stop playing him, I do terribly with him, but this time around it's not as bad as it was in Sm4sh. Because of this, sometimes I wonder if I should stop playing him despite him being my best character when I play with him regularly and loving the character so much. Also, Meta Knight is the one character I get an overwhelmingly positive responses from players for playing in Sm4sh and in Ultimate. My Lucario and R.O.B. gets praise to a lesser extent too. Ridley as well, but Ridley causes more ragequits from other people compared to other characters so it kinda balances out.

Since I didn't play Brawl for long, I decided to learn the differences between the spacies and to have an excuse to play :wolf:Wolf. Got a lot of time in with Fox and he felt amazing, but Wolf was really the one who stole the show for the short time I played Brawl. This would also be my first time trying to do more than my newbie tactics that I pulled in Melee, since CPUs don't perfect block as much in Brawl and feel more like a human player. I even started side stepping and doing other things that are a bit harder to pull off. So Wolf is almost a main in Brawl just because he has more play time than Meta Knight did.

Smash 4 mains I considered:
:4charizard:I am a sucker for dragons, so I tried so hard to make Charizard my main in Smash 4. However after a few hundred matches, I realized that I wasn't having the fun I used to with Charizard because he was too basic. I felt like I was doing the same thing in every match since every attack he sends opponents too far away to connect with anything. Charizard can be fun still, but I pretty much only play him in casual play now sadly. In SmUsh, he's part of Pokemon Trainer and I don't like playing with :squirtle:Squirtle because he feels even more repetitive when I played him in Brawl. Ultimate seems to let the combos be more interesting though so perhaps I should give him a shot again. :ultivysaur:I've always been curious about Ivysaur though, and he seems kinda fun. However with that said, I'd rather just play with Charizard, but it's usaully better to play with the other two, and handicapping yourself to just one of the 3 is a big problem. I also would rather learn other fighters than learn these 3.

:4cloud2:Cloud is in a very similar situation to Charizard since Cloud is the easiest character I've ever picked up, and Charizard is very close to being the easiest to pick up. Since I felt like I was good with Cloud, I decided to focus my efforts on learning other characters to see if I wanted to play them..... Then I just never got in the mood to play with Cloud again. Perhaps someday I'll pick him back up because his Advent Children costume looks amazing, and he is pretty fun to play. Though I don't care for Cloud as a character because I haven't play FF7 and all I hear that he does is sulk 24/7..... and he crossdressed that one time.

:4littlemac:I love staying in the air in every game I play, Smash is no different. However a character that forces me to stick to the ground caught my attention, along with his incredibly fast speed. I do like underdog characters, so he was a consideration. However, after playing him enough, I've decided that I don't think I could main Little mac. However he is a very important tool in forcing myself to use ground options more, which I can then apply to other characters to make me more well rounded. :4ganondorf::4myfriends:Ganondorf and Ike played similar roles where they would force me to focus on the enemy, instead of fiddling around with my controls. Good to start off a few matches with them to get into the right mindset to play a human, then to swap to a character and mess with that character's gimmicks. However in SmUsh, Ganondorf is just way too fast and big for me to actually get that because he's just too good. Ike is still solid in SmUsh to make me watch the opponent though.

:4corrin:Corrin - Swords, and dragons, at the same time!? Count me in..... even if this dragon looks like a weird alien..... He's a bit on the slow side. One of the characters I did 100 matches with. On paper he should be super fun like the Marth clones, but better because of more interesting specials. However in practice, something just feels off, but perhaps that could be overcome with practice. However, would it be worth it when there's other characters in the roster that I probably would want to use more?

:4greninja::4sheik: Love Ninjas. In Sm4sh Greninja felt a bit too sluggish because of the startup of his moves, but I might give him a chance again in SmUsh if I have the time (which I probably won't). Also Greninja's tongue grosses me out. If only I never knew that his badass scarf, was actually a gross tongue. Loving a character is important to maintaining motivation to play the character after all, and that deterred me from playing Greninja for a while in Sm4sh. Sheik just feels like they have perfect gameplay and everyone more competitive players seem to have fun playing against my Sheik. Unfortunately outside of Smash, Sheik is a pretty forgettable character so that's one less area to draw motivation from. Though her awesome looks and perfect gameplay puts her in the running for a main/secondary just because of how good they are.

:4robinm:Robin - Magic, swords are things I'm a sucker for so I like Robin in theory. And I love wearing the hood, IF I COULD! However in Sm4sh he's too slow, and in SmUsh I just haven't touched him yet (but fought a freind multiple times so I can see him being fun). I'm worried that he may lack enough combos/setups to actually be worth using. I had such high hopes for Robin because he just looked so cool with his entrance in his reveal trailer.

:4mii:Miis - They have awesome gameplay and are stylish as hell. Couldn't play with randoms in Sm4sh so I can't main them because of that there. However in SmUsh they are available but there's too many characters I prefer to play above them..... Also they removed my favorite swordfighter costume from Sm4sh, the Rathalos armor. Perhaps I'll pick them up much later, but it has been fun playing them randomly and beating people with lack of matchup knowledge with my swordsman.

:4rob:Love of robots, having some childhood memories of ROB, and him being a solid projectile user with a weird gameplay style definitely cements him in one of the characters I want to be good with. In Brawl I didn't have time to play him. In Sm4sh I tried to play him, but felt helpless when getting combo'd and at the time I couldn't handle that so I took a break but never came back to him. SmUsh I picked him back up and I've been kicking people's butts with him despite not having a ton of experience with him. The combo problem doesn't bother me ever, unless I'm fighting my Pikachu main friend. Though matches between my rob and his Pikachu get rather close anyways. R.O.B. just feels so incredibly versatile, that I feel that he will always be at the very least, a secondary.

:4shulk:Shulk - He just feels too slow in Sm4sh, especially when compared to Cloud who has similar range. I did decently well with Shulk in Sm4sh but I gave up after a while despite it feeling cool to play him. In SmUsh I haven't touched him much at all because I know he'll probably be very hard to learn how to use properly. While I don't like having a braindead character like Charizard, Shulk seems like he'd be a bit too tricky to learn how to use properly. Also my fingers probably aren't fast enough to do something like a short hop, fast fall nair, while trying to change the monado art at the same time. Perhaps someday if I have the time I may try him again.

:4tlink:Toon Link - Because Link is the character I learned Smash off of and I love Wind Waker. Figured he'd be easy to pick up and use as well. Nope, Toon Link is one of the characters I struggle to use in Smash. He just plays way too differently from normal Link for me to use him properly. I'd need to give him more time, but I might default to the other Links instead since I'm used to their playstyle more.

SmUsh -
:ultlucario: Lucario I've wanted to be my main since Brawl, and Meta Knight has been dueling him to be my #1 loyalty main ever since. In Sm4sh I never felt the urge to play Lucario so I usually played Meta Knight instead. In SmUsh Lucario is the one I default to and he just feels so smooth and perfect. Lucario is one of the few other characters in the roster that I love to death and it's all because of his movie. Lucario goes through a character arc, and he says some words that I've said before so it kinda hit me hard. Combine that with him being a badass ninja aura master and I just love him so much. Now Lucario's Aura mechanic makes him unique for me because he makes me focus for the entire match no matter what state of mind I'm in. Of course there's the insane high aura damage and him being able to die at those %, but you still dont want to take damage for no reason. So you have to fight a little harder if you want to damage and KO at lower %. Lucario is always a tense match whether you are him, or playing against him and I love it so much.
:ultinklingboy:I was shocked to fall in love with the Splatoon game. I also love that it has a dark backstory and that the Inklings are pretty vicious creatures. I got invited into a Splatoon discord and never left it. So I feel like I have to play Inkling. My first time playing them felt horrible. However now they feel amazing playing them more recently. Stylish moves, the fluid movements, the speed, and having a projectile. It all feels so great. There is potential for them to actually become a main still. Though I gotta say, I hate fighting Inklings because of the Roller. So many times I think I press shield in time, but I'm rolled over anyways, and I absolutely hate mashing and will not mash as hard as I can in casual matches because it just kinda hurts and I don't want to break the controller either.
:ultrichter: Richter - Die you monster! I love playing the Links a lot. Richter feels like a similar character but more extreme. Hard to describe outside of that. However, first impression is that they are a bit too extreme for my liking. However I may try them again at some point. However, while I love the Castlevania games (despite not playing them), the Belmonts seem like boring characters to me. Was super hyped, but Links will probably end up being played more.
:ultridley:Ridley - As a character there's a lot of overlap between Ridley and Meta Knight. Both can attack suddenly very quickly and viciously, yet are depicted as being incredibly intelligent. Both are smaller, faster bosses that are usually the hardest boss that you face in the games they are in, that act kind of like a rival to you. Though of course there's unique things about Ridley that makes me love him, being a dragon is an obvious one. As for him in SmUsh, I absolutely love playing Ridley. He feels like a bigger :ultmetaknight: Meta Knight with some influence from :4ganondorf:Sm4sh Ganondorf (I played a ton of and loved). As time goes on, I'm starting to love doing certain things and watching as players panic because of some of the things Ridley can do. Also, landing just a single Down+B often throws an opponent off their game for the rest of the time you play them (unless you spam down B and miss it a lot of course). I love causing fear into my oppoenents. It's one of the reasons why I love the Meta Knight fights in Kirby, because he's generally a slight bit too fast to react to his crazy fast movements, with multiple ways of attacking (at least in the older games). It's also the reason why I love playing :ultsamus:Samus so much. Seeing the vast difference in a player's behavior once you have a fully charged charge shot is huge and I love seeing them trying to dodge/reflect the charge shot when it hasn't even been shot yet. Any gameplay style that strikes fear into my opponents will have my interest.... Yes, my main class in TF2 was a Spy.......
:ultpichu: Pichu - Don't care about Pichu at all the pokemon games. However, in Smash, I get this overwhelming joy whenever I play Pichu. Pichu is super fast, tiny, and light so it feels so good to play Pichu. Especially after playing someone bigger like Ridley so it feels like the world is super huge once you play Pichu. Some of my favorite matches have been just fighting an Incineroar, because he's just too slow, but if he gets in the vague area of you he can absolutely destroy you, so it's a literal case of cat and mouse where I will just go "oh no no, ah get away!". I was so hyped to have a squad strike and have Pichu + Ridley in the Squad Strike team because I love seeing images of those two together and these are both characters I love playing in SmUsh. Sadly Squad Strike isn't online (hopefully that changes soon). Biggest problem to Pichu is that I feel that Pichu might be a bit too tricky to learn, and also those lightning loops seem a bit broken. I very much hate anything that is like wobbling where a character can just repeatedly do the same thing over and over until kill %. Not fun to watch, not fun to do, not fun to be hit by.
:ultdarkpit:Dark Pit - I keep hearing that the Pits are one of the most fair characters in the game and I would like to minimize the amount of BS in matches. I know that mindset aint gonna win a tourney, but I don't really play to go to a tourney because I'm not a big fan of being famous and the money probably isn't enough to make me spend the time practicing required to get that money. Dark Pit also has multiple jumps, cool moves and he just looks cool. In theory, aside from being slow, I could really enjoy playing the Pits, but I have to practice them, and I haven't gotten around to it yet. Also a problem is that I don't know anything about him and haven't played the games he is from.
:ultroy:Roy - Marth felt perfect in Melee. However I always liked Roy more, but felt like he didn't work properly, but now in Ultimate I want to give him a chance. Roy players are more fun to watch than the other Marth clones as well. Playing him a few matches and he feels great, but I need to practice with him to see if he's main/secondary worthy.

Character(s) I currently wish to main at this moment in "order"::ultmetaknight::ultlucario::ultridley::ultmewtwo::ultrob::ultwolf::ultpichu::ultinklingboy::ultsheik::ultdarkpit::ultroy:
Having just 1 character be a "main" is very difficult for me because I'm used to mastering every style of gameplay in all games I played when growing up, so it's very hard to decide on a gamepaly style to play in Smash. So that's why there's a bit of a higher emphasis on how much I like the character. Since I can literally play anyone in the game and have a blast playing them and there's multiple characters that feel like they have "perfect" gameplay.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
Although I would end up maining someone like Joker or Shulk in terms of maining someone solely for how much I adore the character and their game of origin, I kinda wish I was better at playing :ultmegaman:

The classic Mega Man series are games I greatly adore despite their notorious trial and error gameplay, and he represents his games of origin in Smash so perfectly, so perfectly that he plays radically different from most characters, and his playstyle just doesn't fit me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom