• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who do you think is the most downplayed character in Smash Ultimate?

D

Deleted member

Who, in your opinion, is a character that is better than people say they are?

My biggest opinion is definitely Little Mac. He has the frame data, the mobility, and the relatively safe moves and armored smash attacks. Plus, his weak aerials still have some keepaway prowess. I feel he's actually low mid or high low.

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Who, in your opinion, is a character that is better than people say they are?

My biggest opinion is definitely Little Mac. He has the frame data, the mobility, and the relatively safe moves and armored smash attacks. Plus, his weak aerials still have some keepaway prowess. I feel he's actually low mid or high low.
I personally think he is bottom tier. If you just play super lame and boring, you will usually three stock him with like 3/4 of the cast. His attacks might seem safe, but they really aren’t. His safest move is -8 and its a air move. Even his down tilt is -14. His mobility doesn’t really matter a lot of the time, because of his predictable approach. His weak air moves have no disjoints and they are outranged by almost all characters, so keeps away is nearly impossible. Armored smash attacks are broken tho. He is great on FD as well.

:ultridley: His large moves and great damage output combined with safe spaced air moves are actually very obnoxious, and he can definitely zone many characters out. Also he has great smash attacks and his nair is great. He gets comboed, but rage can help his already strong attacks. I have picked him up as a secondary, and I am LOVING him.

Nah

Smash Champion
Some people like to still insist that ROB isn't top tier or that Wolf still isn't ****ing gross, but I take it the the thread isn't about already well-off characters.

I suppose if anything, I'd say Marth. Most people afaik view him as a mediocre at best character, but I feel like it's an overreaction and we're just repeating what happened in Smash 4 where people for a long time thought Lucina was (after most of the FE cast got buffs anyway) low tier, but then eventually came to see that they weren't that far apart. Or how people used to think Cloud was bad in this game because he wasn't the disgusting god he was in the previous game. Marth is a character design that's proven to fundamentally work--he's been solidly high or top tier in every game he's been in except this one. If it wasn't a fundamentally solid design, Lucy wouldn't be any good. He's just ****ed by the game engine, if I had to hazard a guess, which is why Smash Ultimate Marth is easily the least successful or enticing version of him. Not saying he's still secretly top tier, just not as bad as his (lack of) results might indicate.

Mac is....an interesting case, for lack of better phrasing. Tbh I find him to personally be one of the most unfun characters to play against, and really he shouldn't have been brought into the series, not in this form anyway. He's just a horribly polarized character that was designed to not be able to play half the game and then was "compensated" for it by giving him bull**** like armored smashes and KO Punch and **** like that.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Mii Gunner

There are just some many different move-sets he/she can have and depending on what items are on can really how the match plays out.

a decent frame-rate buff to most of his/her moves and a slight run-speed buff would instantly make Mii Gunner top-tier

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I struggle with little Mac at my level. I usually crush him when I do win but my win rate is still bad overall. I'd say Dr Mario could get some results in tournament. He's got the same frame data as Mario he's just slow, but I've seen some cool combos with him. Also snake and fox are top tier.

wizfoot

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-7677-1915-7484
Maybe I'm just biased, but Ganondorf. Is he slow, clunky, and situational? Yes. Is he also one of the best physical attackers in the game, with an incredibly strong (if short) combo game that can work surprisingly well: even against smaller targets? Yes. He's a low-tier, for sure, but he's definitely not bottom tier and I'd say he has at least a few favorable matchups against even some of the higher tiers.

Top Bottom