• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who do you secondary? (also, help me pick one :p )

Phatty

Smash Cadet
So I’m having a difficult time trying to decide on a good secondary to supplement my Lucina. I thought I’d make a thread asking you guys for help and to have a general discussion on any of your secondaries and why you chose them. I’ve sorted the potential candidates into three categories ordered first to last within their categories.

Characters I like

Daisy, Wario, Yoshi, Snake, DK, Kirby

These are characters I play that I enjoy the most, besides my main. Daisy, Wario, and Yoshi top the list for similar reasons. They have good combo potential, they have good aerial mobility to avoid projectiles, and they edgeguard pretty well. I especially like Daisy but playing her well demands a lot of time and practice so I’m not sure if she makes a good secondary for that reason alone. Snake is probably my second best character currently but I’m not sure that he supplements Lucina well. Also, my Snake is pretty gimmicky.

Characters I kinda like

Olimar, Fox, Young Link, Toon Link, Cloud, Samus, Diddy Kong, Jiggs

These are characters I play but not as often as the first group. Olimar tops the list but I’m probably the best with the Links right now. Olimar and Fox are both characters that a large part of the cast has a hard time dealing with. The only problem with most of the characters in this group is they don’t always mesh well with my playstyle.

Characters that I think have potential.

Mewtwo, Pichu, Pikachu, Inkling, Megaman, Metaknight, Pit, Greninja, Lucario, Link, Rob, Wolf, Shulk, Wii Fit, Ness, Mii Swordfighter

These are characters that I don’t play much or at all but I think have real potential. Mewtwo is the one that I’m most considering because he fits just about every category I want in a secondary. He has good speed, a projectile, range, edgeguarding, anti-zoning, kill power, and combo potential (though that was slightly nerfed since Smash4). I just don’t play him at all. Inkling is the character that I’ve played the most out of this group but so far my results have been mostly mixed. I’ve played Mii Swordfighter some because of the stupid kill combo and its general combo potential, but I don’t really like the character outside of that. A lot of the other pics are there because I think that the current meta is undervaluing them and they would be a good surprise pic. Greninja, Lucario, Megaman, Pit, Metaknight and Wii Fit are the ones that fall into that category. I just don’t have any experience with any of them and I’m not sure they would suit my playstyle.

So let me know what you guys think and tell me about your current secondaries.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
So honestly I don’t know if Lucina needs a secondary but if you’re having trouble with Inkling, Wolf, the rats, the Belmonts, and other zoners Ness deals with them quite well. I dabble with Lucina and she’s not my secondary but I know how to play her and I know her strengths and weaknesses and she goes along quite well with Ness. Ness beats the Pikachu and Pichu, the Belmonts, goes at least even with if he doesn’t beat Inkling, slightly beats Wolf, beats Snake, beats Megaman (other than leaf shield but every character has to deal with that), and most heavies. I think they compliment each other quite well. Plus Ness is really fun to play, plus he’s kind of a sleeper pick in the meta (I mean people know he’s good but they forget about him)

I’d recommend trying him out a little and seeing if he vibes with you. I definitely think they go well together

Last edited:

Kybou

Smash Rookie
So I’m having a difficult time trying to decide on a good secondary to supplement my Lucina. I thought I’d make a thread asking you guys for help and to have a general discussion on any of your secondaries and why you chose them. I’ve sorted the potential candidates into three categories ordered first to last within their categories.

Characters I like

These are characters I play that I enjoy the most, besides my main. Daisy, Wario, and Yoshi top the list for similar reasons. They have good combo potential, they have good aerial mobility to avoid projectiles, and they edgeguard pretty well. I especially like Daisy but playing her well demands a lot of time and practice so I’m not sure if she makes a good secondary for that reason alone. Snake is probably my second best character currently but I’m not sure that he supplements Lucina well. Also, my Snake is pretty gimmicky.

Characters I kinda like

These are characters I play but not as often as the first group. Olimar tops the list but I’m probably the best with the Links right now. Olimar and Fox are both characters that a large part of the cast has a hard time dealing with. The only problem with most of the characters in this group is they don’t always mesh well with my playstyle.

Mewtwo, Pichu, Pikachu, Inkling, Megaman, Metaknight, Pit, Greninja, Lucario, Link, Rob, Wolf, Shulk, Wii Fit, Ness, Mii Swordfighter

These are characters that I don’t play much or at all but I think have real potential. Mewtwo is the one that I’m most considering because he fits just about every category I want in a secondary. He has good speed, a projectile, range, edgeguarding, anti-zoning, kill power, and combo potential (though that was slightly nerfed since Smash4). I just don’t play him at all. Inkling is the character that I’ve played the most out of this group but so far my results have been mostly mixed. I’ve played Mii Swordfighter some because of the stupid kill combo and its general combo potential, but I don’t really like the character outside of that. A lot of the other pics are there because I think that the current meta is undervaluing them and they would be a good surprise pic. Greninja, Lucario, Megaman, Pit, Metaknight and Wii Fit are the ones that fall into that category. I just don’t have any experience with any of them and I’m not sure they would suit my playstyle.

If it was me I’d go with mewtwo. Doesn’t have the best combo game though. He is fast and has amazing jump height and recovery. His projectial (shadow ball) can kill. He had a good back throw. His upsmash can be great to deal with a camper above you but can be punished if you miss. His Fsmash is a good solid move and his Dsmash can be super dangerous to kill (kinda reminds me of jigglypuff rest but with a slightly bigger hitbox and does slightly less damage and nockback). Nair is great for getting outta shield pressure. Fair is really fast and is a good damage dealer, bair is similar but has sweet sour spots. Dair is a spike move... that’s it... his uptilt and downtilt are his best combo moves but in my opinion combos aren’t where mewtwo shines. Ftilt and and Btilt are not the best and I don’t really use. Up special is a great recovery but can be finicky when trying to grab the ledge. Nutral special is a good projectial which you already know. Down special is handy but will only work if they are standing on the ground, won’t work on airel opponents. Side special can be good if your fighting projectial characters or if you just want to mess with your opponent approach.

Hope this helps with mewtwo! Can’t help with anyone else really.

ItsLogic

Smash Cadet
I generally bounce around the roster while choosing my secondary. But most of the time I base it on my style of Smash. I main Pit, King K. Rool and Palutena, so for my secondaries I chose Dark Pit, Piranha plant, and Duck Hun. That's just how I choose mine, by basing it on my style of Smash and how similar they could be to my mains

Phatty

Smash Cadet
So honestly I don’t know if Lucina needs a secondary but if you’re having trouble with Inkling, Wolf, the rats, the Belmonts, and other zoners Ness deals with them quite well.
Thanks for the tip. I think Ness is being underrated as well. There's a guy in my area that has been demolishing everyone with Ness. He even beat SDX a week or two ago and I thought Mewtwo won that matchup pretty easily.

If it was me I’d go with mewtwo.
Yeah he's the one I'm leaning towards the most RN. I made this thread to air out my thoughts, to see if anyone had some good ideas or points, and to see who other people choose as secondaries and why.

I generally bounce around the roster while choosing my secondary. But most of the time I base it on my style of Smash. I main Pit, King K. Rool and Palutena, so for my secondaries I chose Dark Pit, Piranha plant, and Duck Hun. That's just how I choose mine, by basing it on my style of Smash and how similar they could be to my mains
Dude that is a lot of characters. I guess it can be hard to counterpick you lol. Honestly, before Ultimate came out I had planned on having a pocket third character that almost no one plays just to cheese out a win or two due to matchup inexperience. With such a big roster (and a pretty well-balanced one atm) I think that is a very viable strategy.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
I'm currently co-maining Lucina and Palutena with Wolf as a secondary. I see Wolf was in your list as characters having potential, but not Palu. I would recommend checking her out definitely. At even skill, Palu wins a significant majority of the game's matchups so for anyone you struggle to beat as Lucina, odds are Palu would make a good counterpick.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
I've been having a bit of a character crisis myself when it comes to secondaries tbh. I've learned so many characters, some for MU experience, some for fun, some for trying to balance my match ups, but nobody's really clicked for me. I do use snake and dark samus in some matchups though, I feel like they aren't going to stay as permanent secondaries but atm they're pretty fitting.

Phatty

Smash Cadet
I'm currently co-maining Lucina and Palutena with Wolf as a secondary. I see Wolf was in your list as characters having potential, but not Palu. I would recommend checking her out definitely. At even skill, Palu wins a significant majority of the game's matchups so for anyone you struggle to beat as Lucina, odds are Palu would make a good counterpick.
That's an interesting suggestion. That last section isn't necessarily all of the characters that I think have potential it's more of a list of characters that I am considering that have potential. I definitely think Palu is good but I never really cared for the character. I also don't see Palus edgeguarding very much outside of throwing out explosive flames and her ground options are underwhelming as well. She does have great mobility and great aerials though, and I do like that. Thank you for the suggestion I will give her some thought.

I've been having a bit of a character crisis myself when it comes to secondaries tbh. I've learned so many characters, some for MU experience, some for fun, some for trying to balance my match ups, but nobody's really clicked for me. I do use snake and dark samus in some matchups though, I feel like they aren't going to stay as permanent secondaries but atm they're pretty fitting.
You know I had originally planned on using Snake as my secondary and Inkling as a third character. I have a lot of fun playing Snake but I feel like a lot of what he does is gimmicky and he can be exploited by someone that knows the matchup (though to be fair, my Snake wasn't very good). I don't think he compliments Marcina's matchup spread at all either. Playing as Snake helped out a lot in that MU, though, since I have a good idea what he wants to do, what his options are, and how to play around his grenades.

UltiEnder

Smash Rookie

Characters I like

Characters I kinda like

I personally main Lucas, but Zelda, Incin, and Corrin are my secondaries. They are all a load of fun and I thoroughly enjoy playing as them. And picking up mewtwo isnt a bad idea. he's a good character who can do really well!

Last edited:

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
That's an interesting suggestion. That last section isn't necessarily all of the characters that I think have potential it's more of a list of characters that I am considering that have potential. I definitely think Palu is good but I never really cared for the character. I also don't see Palus edgeguarding very much outside of throwing out explosive flames and her ground options are underwhelming as well. She does have great mobility and great aerials though, and I do like that. Thank you for the suggestion I will give her some thought.
Palu's edge guard game is pretty solid. All of her aerials have utility for edge guarding and her dair spike is great b/c it comes out much faster than a lot of other dair spikes. The Explosive Flame on edge guards is used to force your opponent's hand and make them commit to recovering either high or low. The thing with edge guarding with Palu is I don't think you want to go too far off-level despite her great recovery b/c she is really excellent at ledge trapping. Forcing a high recovery and then waiting with her up smash primed gets me a lot of kills.

Truth on her ground options though. Her jab and tilts come out slower than most and have more end lag. You have to get used to using sh ff fair and bair as her primary ground tools instead of her actual ground attacks, which still have their uses though. Up tilt is an amazing anti-aerial and can kill. Ftilt can kill also.

Top Bottom