• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who do the big 5 want to avoid as long as possible?

All_Characters

Smash Apprentice
Hi,

Sorry, I just can't contain my hype for EVO, I just gotta talk about it.

So I know that it would be really exciting to see one of the slight outsiders who have been very close to the top make it there (Axe, Wobbles, Shroomed, KirbyKaze, Hax, Unknown etc, I know I'm missing people), but for now I wanna talk about the 5 main contenders for #1 (Armada, Hbox, Mango, M2K, PP, in alphabetical order).

I was thinking that the quest for #1 might be influenced by who faces who when, because in the past certain people seem to do better vs certain people. Wanna know what y'all think.

KEEP IN MIND THAT I'M REALLY ****ING BAD AT THIS GAME AND I DON'T KNOW **** ABOUT WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, I'M JUST SOME RANDOM FANBOY WITH HIS RANDOM FANBOY OPINIONS.

Armada: PP & M2K. After Apex 2013 it seems like Armada has some problem dealing with Marth with his Peach. PP's marth (while good) isn't even really his main, and I'm sure by now he has practiced it a lot and gotten better with it, and of course M2K has a great marth, so I think these 2 are the biggest threats to Armada. Maybe Armada has improved at the matchup though?

Hbox: Armada & Mango. These two basically have Hbox's number it seems, Hbox always seems to come close to Armada's YLink but doesn't really quite make it, and Hbox vs Mango has happened a ton of times with Mango usually winning. Will Hbox find a solution to YLink (I think puff's his best shot), and figure out Mango's Fox? (See how I'm ending these with questions to make it interesting? I should be a writer).

Mango: M2K & Armada*. At the past 2 tournaments that they've played (I think), M2K has been the Mango slayer, going 2-0 and 1-1. If anybody is going to stop Mango from taking the title I think it would be M2K. That being said I don't know if an aggressive fox/falco can handle Armada's peach, although they haven't played in forever. Does Mango have a unique solution to these problems, or will he find a way to brute force through his opponents? I only put the asterisk there because although Mango wants to "avoid" Armada (I think) to win the tournament, I'm sure he really wants to play him.

M2K: Hbox & PP. I'll be honest I don't know about this one too much, but from what I can tell M2K has a hard time dealing with these two guys the most (although he hasn't even played Armada in forever, but see above). He doesn't seem to have a solution to the puff (so far), and PP (tbh I don't even know about this, I just gotta put down 2 names for everybody to make it look nice and match), I'm pretty sure PP has a winning record on him. Will M2K find a way to slay his demons (I should write for game of thrones)?

PP: Mango & Hbox. I don't wanna keep typing ****, but you know what I'm getting at. Hbox beat PP at Zenith (although it was really close), and Mango has been doing really well vs PP lately, pretty much winning most sets). Also I wonder how hard he's worked on his Marth for Armada because he's going to need it, but I think that's his best shot, and he can do it. Can PP solve the puff problem, and manouver his way though Mango?

Really speaking I think that any of these guys can be any of these guys, and what I said above is completely meaningless. I just thought that certain guys have a better chance against certain guys, just based on history? But really, who really gives a **** about history?

If any of you guys see this, and really anybody who's good, good luck to you at EVO, really looking forward to watching it. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
The way Dr. PP plays Marth and the way M2k's does are different things. I feel that M2K's would not do as well vs Armada.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
That is true. I hope this is a match we get to see at some point during evo.

The Business

Smash Journeyman
for mango and m2k you skipped the tournament(vindication) in between apex and zenith where mango won 2/3 sets - winners finals and second set of grand finals.

also pp is a huge threat to hbox, besides zenith hbox hasn't beaten pp since 2011.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
North American "Big Four":

Set counts vs each other (since May 2012)
Mango vs PP: 4-3
Mango vs M2K: 4-4
Mango vs Hbox: 8-1
PP vs Mango: 3-4
PP vs M2K: 6-2
PP vs Hbox: 2-1
M2K vs Mango: 4-4
M2K vs PP: 2-6
M2K vs Hbox: 0-2
Hbox vs Mango: 1-8
Hbox vs PP: 1-2
Hbox vs M2K: 2-0

Set counts vs Armada (lifetime, or since July 2009)
Mango vs Armada: 2-3
PP vs Armada: 4-7
Hbox vs Armada: 3-5
M2K vs Armada: 0-3

That should give you an idea right there.

strawhats

Smash Master
pp has kinda dominated the head to head with hbox, in fact pp's favorite MU is probably jiggs. Hence why hbox hasn't taken a set, sans Zenith 2013, since 2011. So much so that I saw PP frustrating Hbox with marth in friendlies at Zenith 2012 (one of hbox's favorite MUs mind you). PP and M2K could really go either way...its a volatile MU and gimps happen although PP has ended up on the winning end more times than not the last 1.5-2 years. M2K vs Hbox is the real problem, he's got a puff problem and has had one since the days of King/Mango when he mained puff. hence why mango is taking his puff out for m2k at EVO. I wish he would learn/study the marth vs puff MU like PP and PPU have. He can win with fox against hbox and has done so b4 but it's been a while (RoM 3). If there's anyone m2k wants to really avoid it's hbox. M2K vs Armada can go either way, its just a mistake here or there or a really clutch stich face kill/bomb-omb/gimp that has given armada the W over m2k the last three sets they've played. PP vs armada can also go either way, even more so since pp has a marth CP to Armada who can either dominate vs falco or lose tight sets vs PP's bird. As for armada vs mango, i think it's a style counter. I wanna think that mango can beat armada if he goes puff on his CPs and then switches to fox. I dunno about mango vs pp though. Depends on either of the two's mindset imho.

PS. Dont sleep on Ice/PPU/Wobbles/Hax/Unknown when he's on fire.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I'm not sure exactly who of these players are going to EVO (hopefully all of them) but they are the ones closest to the top5. In no particular order...

KirbyKaze
Wobbles
Fly Amanita
Hax
Chillindude
Jman*
S2J*
Shiz*

*I do not know how in shape these players are, but at their best I think they could make it happen.

There are definitely players outside this list that are capable of winning vs the top 5. If I forgot you, please don't be offended!

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
North American "Big Four":

Set counts vs each other (since May 2012)
Mango vs PP: 4-3
Mango vs M2K: 4-4
Mango vs Hbox: 8-1
PP vs Mango: 3-4
PP vs M2K: 6-2
PP vs Hbox: 2-1
M2K vs Mango: 4-4
M2K vs PP: 2-6
M2K vs Hbox: 0-2
Hbox vs Mango: 1-8
Hbox vs PP: 1-2
Hbox vs M2K: 2-0

Set counts vs Armada (lifetime, or since July 2009)
Mango vs Armada: 2-3
PP vs Armada: 4-7
Hbox vs Armada: 3-5
M2K vs Armada: 0-3

That should give you an idea right there.

Your forgot about Silent Spectre's perfect record against Armada:awesome:

Top Bottom