• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who can be the Echo?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm just gonna cut to the chase: now that Simon has Richter added as an Echo, plus Dracula as a boss and Alucard as an assist, some of the other third party inclusions seem a little lackluster. For the more Nintendo-associated third party series', many fans would rejoice in seeing the same fully-comprehensive approach to inclusion that we got with Castelvania.

We already know that Megaman has seven characters in his final Smash, five versions of Megaman, as well as Protoman and Bass. I'm sure it was a big punch to anyone who could have wanted a Megaman echo (though that would have been some fast processing, if you came to this conclusion during E3). Assuming Protoman and Bass are not options (which is not necessarily true), who else could be an Echo fighter for Megaman? Not just could be, but who else is a notable enough fighter to be Megaman's number two? Do you think Protoman and Bass are disconfirmed by being included in the Final Smash?

If those two characters cannot get in, my bet will be on Zero. Not only is he the lead of his own series, but he is the second lead character of Mega Man X (widely considered the best Megaman series), and he is considered to be Bass 2.0 (the successor to Bass) with a lot of the personality and appearance of Protoman.
[[Edit: I guess I cannot get photos to work anymore. Does Google no longer work as a hosting platform now that they had that lawsuit about image display?]]

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I'm just gonna cut to the chase: now that Simon has Richter added as an Echo, plus Dracula as a boss and Alucard as an assist, some of the other third party inclusions seem a little lackluster. For the more Nintendo-associated third party series', many fans would rejoice in seeing the same fully-comprehensive approach to inclusion that we got with Castelvania.

We already know that Megaman has seven characters in his final Smash, five versions of Megaman, as well as Protoman and Bass. I'm sure it was a big punch to anyone who could have wanted a Megaman echo (though that would have been some fast processing, if you came to this conclusion during E3). Assuming Protoman and Bass are not options (which is not necessarily true), who else could be an Echo fighter for Megaman? Not just could be, but who else is a notable enough fighter to be Megaman's number two? Do you think Protoman and Bass are disconfirmed by being included in the Final Smash?

If those two characters cannot get in, my bet will be on Zero.
Unfortunately Zero is an assist trophy, maybe Roll could work since she was similar in MvC if Mega Man had an echo.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Unfortunately Zero is an assist trophy, maybe Roll could work since she was similar in MvC if Mega Man had an echo.
Oh no! I did miss that.

Damn. I knew there was a reason I made this thread. Does Megaman have anyone left?
It would be such a shame for him to not get an Echo. Particularly if we get Ken, Shadow, and Ms Pacman (though I just cannot see Ms Pacman, even if Bandai Namco owns all the rights now).

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Protoman was by and far the best choice for an Echo, but I'm skeptical that it'll happen now. Change him to have to two slightly stronger pellets and have a red colored charge shot; a Link trio shield mechanic would be optional. It's a bit of a shame as I know Maximilian Dood would be at Cloud reveal-levels of hype.

Roll could work because of MvC & mobile phone games, but I'm skeptical Sakurai/Capcom would choice that road over her older brother. A lot of this really depends on how far ahead Sakurai planned to focus on Echo fighters in this game rather than being last minute additions.

Part of me wonders if Mega Man's Final Smash played a role in relegating Protoman/Bass to cameos. It would have taken a lot of reworking and more back-and-forth negotiations from Capcom to give the two a rival version cinematic. RIP Astro Crush

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The most obvious choice would be Roll at the moment. Unless either Protoman or Bass are chosen, and in turn, Mega Man shows up in THEIR Final Smash while they show up in his.

For a more obscure choice, Quint, who is literally Evil Mega Man.

That said, I hope Mega Man's semi-clone would use the custom moves, since they seem to be gone in Smash Ultimate.

For a unique character, Mega Man X or Mega Man EXE would be my choice.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I had a few ideas for how Proto Man could be an Echo, unlikely as it is now:

-Only two buster shots can be active but go farther
-Proto Shield passive identical to the Links' shields, except it also functions when neutral in the air
Neutral Special: Wheel Cutter, rolls along the ground instead of flying straight ahead. Can't be picked up but deals slightly more damage.
Side Special: Hornet Chaser, acts similar to Samus' Missile
Up Special: Proto Coil, no difference
Down Special: Water Shield, pushes opponents while active and offers light protection

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I had a few ideas for how Proto Man could be an Echo, unlikely as it is now:

-Only two buster shots can be active but go farther
-Proto Shield passive identical to the Links' shields, except it also functions when neutral in the air
Neutral Special: Wheel Cutter, rolls along the ground instead of flying straight ahead. Can't be picked up but deals slightly more damage.
Side Special: Hornet Chaser, acts similar to Samus' Missile
Up Special: Proto Coil, no difference
Down Special: Water Shield, pushes opponents while active and offers light protection
I think if they were to give Protoman different specials from Mega Man, they'd re-use the custom moves that Mega Man had in Smash 4. Same could be said for Roll or Bass depending on who they choose, if one happens in this game or DLC. I was thinking he'd use Plant Barrier, Shadow Blade and maybe Ice Slasher as his specials. I don't think they'd give Protoman Beat, so the Proto Coil would make sense.

I do agree that two buster shots should be in Protoman's arsenal, though I don't know if I'd make them go farther or move faster. I also agree with the shield stuff too. It'll help to feel like your playing as Protoman like he is in Mega Man 9 and 10.

Another thing they should do is make him a lighter weight character to reference how he get's knocked back further than Mega Man does in those games. And since Mega Man is in the 2nd or 3rd highest tier for heavy characters, Protoman could still be slightly above average weight even if the difference is noticeable.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
You know what would be cool? If Mega Man’s moveset was tweaked to include elements from Mega Man 11 while Proto Man is given Mega’s old one. Kind of like Link and Young Link.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
You know what would be cool? If Mega Man’s moveset was tweaked to include elements from Mega Man 11 while Proto Man is given Mega’s old one. Kind of like Link and Young Link.
That would be really cool. But at this point, that'd be something done for a sequel. Giving Mega Man the Pile Driver for a Side B would be sick, while Protoman kept Crash Bomb. Though I think Mega Man should keep the Metal Blade, given how popular and useful it is.

Datfalsetto

Smash Rookie
Just got around re watching mega man nt warrior that would be totally awesome if proto man was an echo character! He pretty much looks like a stretched megaman... Lol

Top Bottom