• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who are your Top 5 3rd party guests characters for Ultimate?

D

Deleted member

So, third party characters seem to have become a hot topic regarding Smash Bros as of late, and I wanted to share who I personally want in Smash Ultimate, as well as see what everyone elses picks are. Feel free to give reasons as to why you want said character/characters.

#5- Doomguy/Doom Marine (DOOM series)

#4-Dante (Devil May Cry series)

#3-Bill Rizier (Conra series)

#2- Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden series)

#1-Jack Frost and Flynn (Shin Megami Tensei series)

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
5. Ms. Pac-Man
4. Marta (from Tales of Symphonia 2)
3. Viewtiful Joe
2. Shadow the Hedgehog
1. Bomberman

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Dante (Devil May Cry), Aloy (Horizon: Zero Dawn), Quiet (Metal Gear), Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic), Chun Li/Cammy White (Street Figher), Jun/Jin/Azuka Kazama (Tekken)

5. Adam Jensen (Deus Ex)
4. Raiden (Metal Gear)
3. Chell (Portal)
2. Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
1. 2B (Nier: Automata)

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
1. Bomberman
2. Shadow the Hedgehog
3. Geno
4. Shovel Knight
5. Banjo Kazooie

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Arle Nadja takes the top.

She's followed by Banjo and Kazooie, Geno, Shadow, and the Dragonborn. I mean Crash Bandicoot, how did he miss my mind?

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
5. Asuka (Senran Kagura)
4. Edward Falcon (Power Stones)
3. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)
2. Crash Bandicoot (self-titled)
1. Banjo & Kazooie (self-titled)

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Not ordered:

Bomberman
Shovel Knight
Heihachi
Shadow (Echo)
Ken (Echo)
Spyro
Travis Touchdown

1. Rayman
2. Crash Bandicoot
3. Geno
4. Lloyd Irving (My friend wants a "Tales of" character and I couldn't think of anything else)
5. Banjo Kazooie

But I already got my most wanted...
So I just want to see other fans be happy.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Damn.. I guess it's good that not many third party guests make it in, because I'd be pretty pissed with any of these lists making it in.
(Of course we are all allowed to want what we want, I just actively dislike everything I've read above).

To be fair, here is my list to criticize... though I'm sure it would change regularly because I think many third paties have made a huge impact on gaming.

- Rayman (his design is playful, he appeared as a stoned trophy, and Ubisoft is a Nintendo Switch hero)
- Banjo Kazooie (another characterization with tons of personality, defines the N64 era, ripped away from Nintendo)
- Sora (this would be my gift to the rest of the world, in large part it would also solidify Smash as the most intense crossover of any media)
- Scorpion (I thought this was a personal favorite, but the mechanics of Mortal Kombat would make a unique character, a fun echo in Sub Zero, and the franchise as a whole has earned 5 billion, which is more than most media franchises as a whole)
- Double Damn. Limiting to five is hard. Would it be from my Brawl list in Bomberman? Would it be some of the biggest icons ever in someone like Frogger or Lara Croft? Maybe I need to choose between Crash and Syro? This is difficult... it could be something else entirely.

D

Deleted member

Damn.. I guess it's good that not many third party guests make it in, because I'd be pretty pissed with any of these lists making it in.
(Of course we are all allowed to want what we want, I just actively dislike everything I've read above).

To be fair, here is my list to criticize... though I'm sure it would change regularly because I think many third paties have made a huge impact on gaming.

- Rayman (his design is playful, he appeared as a stoned trophy, and Ubisoft is a Nintendo Switch hero)
- Banjo Kazooie (another characterization with tons of personality, defines the N64 era, ripped away from Nintendo)
- Sora (this would be my gift to the rest of the world, in large part it would also solidify Smash as the most intense crossover of any media)
- Scorpion (I thought this was a personal favorite, but the mechanics of Mortal Kombat would make a unique character, a fun echo in Sub Zero, and the franchise as a whole has earned 5 billion, which is more than most media franchises as a whole)
- Double Damn. Limiting to five is hard. Would it be from my Brawl list in Bomberman? Would it be some of the biggest icons ever in someone like Frogger or Lara Croft? Maybe I need to choose between Crash and Syro? This is difficult... it could be something else entirely.
Really? What's wrong with my choices?

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos

- Sora (this would be my gift to the rest of the world, in large part it would also solidify Smash as the most ambitious crossover event in history)
FTFY :p

Also, I know these lists are 103% opinion, but I am genuinely curious to see what your critique of my list is, given that you agree with me on at least one of them.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
1 Banjo & Kazooie
2 Bomberman
3 Slime/Erdrick
4 Goemon
5 Jack (Harvest Moon)

The last two are a bit of a reach, but that about sums up the characters I actively want to see that are third party. There are a couple more that I wouldn't mind seeing, but I'm not gonna really root for them either. Would love to see a Chrono Trigger AT though.

Last edited:

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
1. Banjo Kazooie
2. Phoenix Wright
3. Sora
4. Luke Fon Fabre
5. Hiro from Digimon World

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Dante (Devil May Cry), Aloy (Horizon: Zero Dawn), Quiet (Metal Gear), Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic), Chun Li/Cammy White (Street Figher), Jun/Jin/Azuka Kazama (Tekken)

5. Adam Jensen (Deus Ex)
4. Raiden (Metal Gear)
3. Chell (Portal)
2. Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
1. 2B (Nier: Automata)
SInce you asked for my opinion...
For three of them, "Who the hell are these guys? Are these even games?"
Raiden... "Oh jesus, great, this game."
I'm actually aware of Deux Ex and Portal, I just cannot fathom what would make someone think of them for Smash in any reasonable way.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
  1. Banjo & Kazooie (Rare/Microsoft)
  2. Simon Belmont (Konami's Castlevania) MADE IT!
  3. Rayman (Ubisoft)
  4. Bomberman (Konami) Assist Trophy!
  5. Geno (Square-Enix's Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars)

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
1-) Crash Bandicoot
2-) Spyro
3-) Phoenix Wright
4-) Bomberman (out)
5-) Simon Belmont (in)

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
Not including those who are already in the game in some capacity.

1. Banjo & Kazooie
2. Geno
3. Shantae
4. Doomguy
5. Ryu Hiyabusa

Honorable mentions: Arthur, Erdrick, and Master Chief

Last edited:

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
5. Rayman
4. Crash
3. Geno
2. Banjo Kazooie
1. Travis Touchdown

RIP Bomberman and Shovel Knight.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Ruling out characters that are already in the game (either playable or as assists) and characters from other console makers (so no Banjo-Kazooie, as great as they would be)...

1. Rayman (Rayman) - based on Rayman Legends alone, there seems to be a lot that they could do with him, and it's a shame that they got permission to use him in Smash 4 only to add him as a regular trophy

2. Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes) - I've generally enjoyed the No More Heroes games, and Suda 51 has been asking Sakurai to include Travis in Smash for about a decade now. While the games are very different from Smash content-wise, it seems entirely within the realm of possibility to tone him down - the games only get bloody during finishing moves, which wouldn't apply to Smash.

3. Heihachi Mishima (Tekken) - he's my favourite character in Tekken, and Namco's back to help with Smash Ultimate. Besides, it would be an interesting change of pace to have a third party franchise represented by its villain, and even with what little I know about Tekken, it seems like the game's focus on juggling could result in an interesting move-list.

4. Doomguy (Doom) - I don't really have any deep reason here - he'd just be fun, even if his shotguns are excluded. (the pistol and chain gun are energy weapons in the 2016 Doom, so I think they'd be okay)

5. Dante (Devil May Cry) - he'd have a crazy amount of moveset potential, even if they just limited it to DMC3 or 4. Besides, he's generally a fun character to watch or play as in his own games, and that could easily transfer over to Smash.

Last edited:

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
We're good on third party characters now. But if I had to choose a few more...

Q*Bert
Rayman
Banjo-Kazooie

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Including deconfirmed

Shovel Knight
Banjo & Kazooie
Bomberman
Shantae
Knuckles

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
!: The master Chief
2: Banjo and Kazooie
3: Bomberman
4: Ms. Pac-Man
5: Crash Bandicoot (Only if Sony clans up their act and stops acting like a bunch of money-grabbing jerks).

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
Here's my Top 5
1.Lord Raptor(Darkstalkers)
2.Geno
3.Terry Bogard(SNK)
4.Goemon(Konami)
5.Faust(Guilty Gear XRD)

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
It's funny - before Sm4sh DLC, I was pretty anti third party. Now...half of my most wanted are.

#1 - Dovahkiin (Elder Scrolls series, Bethesda)
I want the Dragonborn so bad it's not even funny. Skyrim may be getting older at this point, but it was used to show off the capabilities of the Switch in its initial reveal trailer (as the second game shown off after BotW, I might add. Skyrim was announced for Switch before Mario was shown off...). Skyrim also managed a 40/40 in Famitsu, which isn't something every Western game can claim. With the fact that BotW definitely shows some inspiration from Skyrim, and that Skyrim's Switch port did put in some BotW content as well, it'd be great so see Link and the Dragonborn cross blades. The Dragonborn does have a relatively consistent look in all of the marketing but could use alternate race/gender options as alt costumes, and he could use several options for his normals (marketing images have shown him dual-wielding or using a shield, and archery is also a possibility) and Dragon Shouts as his specials, which would make for a unique moveset.​

#2 - Tails (Sonic series, SEGA)
Miles Prower is the most deserving character for Smash in my eyes. With Sonic now a three-time veteran and his numerous crossovers with the Mario franchise, it would make sense that Sonic gets a second character. The best option for me would be Sonic's original player two, who is still considered his BFF. Sonic's moveset also borrows a lot from his earlier games, which would make sense if Tails were to be an easy echo or semi-clone. Shadow may be more popular in the Sonic fandom, but Tails is very recognizable to those who aren't as close to the series. Also, with Shadow having been an assist and Knuckles' new assist trophy, it feels wrong for the original friend to be left out completely.​

#3 - Ivy (Soul Calibur series, Namco)
Soul Calibur isn't Namco's most popular or best performing fighting game series (but hopefully SC6 can turn things around), but it is still very well known. Ivy's known mostly for her unique whip sword, complex movesets, and one or two other things. While her default costumes may be a bit skimpy (understatement of the year), she has taken more conservative alternates before, and Bayonetta has shown that even she can be toned down. Still, the idea of a fighter using a whip sword would make a very interesting close and far range moveset, and the battles between her and Bayo would be legendary.​

#4 - Nightmare (Soul Calibur series, Namco)
Let's face it - if Soul Calibur gets a character, it'll be the one in the series logo. Still, Nightmare's got a lot going for him as well considering he acts as the host for the evil sword. Plus, he would get his alter ego Siegfried as an echo or alt costume. After the crossover in SCII where Link joined the Soul Calibur cast, it would be fun to see them be able to cross back one more time.​

...honestly, that's all I really have. But #1 and #2 are leagues above anything else...

dezeray112

Smash Hero
My Top 5:

1. Heihachi Mishima - Even though the Tekken franchise had been one of the icons of Playstation, it had made its way to Nintendo consoles from the Game Boy Advance, 3DS and the Wii-U. Heihachi is one of the main iconic antagonists of the series since Tekken 1 and he would be my primary candidate for Smash Ultimate.

2. Tidus - If anyone were to ask me other than Final Fantasy VII (which had already been represented in Smash), which franchise and character from the Final Fantasy series I would like to see next in Smash. There are tons of candidates which I had in mind such as Cecil Harvey, Terra Branford, Zidane Tribal, Noctis etc, but my choice would FFX's Tidus (since his series is getting a Nintendo port as confirmed from yesterday's Nintendo Direct.) He would maintain his range Overdrive based moves (similar to Cloud's specials) from Spiral Cut, Slice & Dice, Energy Rain and Blitz Ace as his most likely Final Smash.

3. Chun-Li - Although it is highly likely that Ken Masters is to be the 2nd rep for Street Fighter (as Ryu's echo), if there were any other Street Fighter character I would like to see playable, my choice would be Chun-Li. Like Ryu, she is one of the most iconic female characters within fighting games.

4. Terry Bogard - SNK had been making a comeback ever since King of Fighters XIV in addition to seeing some of their characters making guest apperances in other fighting games from Geese Howard, Iori Yagami and Terry himself. Other than that, Terry is one of the popular characters within the SNK franchise that I would generally like to see if he is a candidate of Smash.

5. Ryu Hayabusa - Since playing Dead or Alive 2, Hayabusa had been one of my characters in the game. It would be awesome to see him in action for Smash.

StormC

Smash Hero
1. Banjo-Kazooie: Putting them on this list even feels weird since I think just about everyone considers them more Nintendo characters than anything. Their most iconic and beloved games were on the N64, and it would be such an amazing thing to have them come home and bump shoulders with other Nintendo all-stars and general gaming icons. Banjo-Kazooie is in my top 5 games ever and being able to have them with all my other favorite characters makes me all tingly inside.

2. Dr. Eggman: Probably the most iconic video game villain not in Smash, and the only character other than Sonic to debut in the very first game. He's a classic character that would offer a great contrast as a mech fighter to Bowser Jr., with something more weighted and heavier. The moveset potential is limitless thanks to his dozens of boss battles, and he would offer a great contrast to all of the furry fast friends Sonic has. I'd seriously consider starting a character campaign for Eggman for Smash 6.

3. Bomberman: I've always kinda lowkey wanted Bomberman since Brawl, but seeing the Assist Trophy made me realize I really would like to play as him. They could do something clever and fun with a bomb/trap-based fighting style, and his design fits into Smash perfectly. I grew up playing the N64 Bomberman games so I definitely have a lot of nostalgia for the character and would love to see him as the third Konami character, if not in this game then the next one.

4. Zero: Again, missed out because of the AT, but I've always thought Zero was the best choice for a second Mega Man character. He represents two subseries of Mega Man, X and Zero, and offers a completely different design and style from Rock; having X would make the Mega Man series start to feel like Fire Emblem where the characters are knockoffs of each other, and Zero offers great potential with a mix of swordplay and other weapons/techniques.

5. M. Bison: If Ken is in as an echo, M. Bison is good to go. My favorite Street Fighter character and another iconic video game baddie I'd love to see throw down with the likes of Bowser, Ganondorf, and K. Rool.

*Zack Fair (Echo Fighter): Sort of separate from these requests, but Zack is one of my favorite FF protagonists and would be a perfect choice for a Cloud echo fighter. The fact that he recently appeared in that barrage of FF content in the Direct gives me some hope... also check out his support thread.

Last edited:

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
1. Joker (Persona 5)
2. Crash Bandicoot
3. Zero (Mega Man X)
4. KOS-MOS (Xenosaga)
5. Geno (Super Mario RPG)

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
  1. Phoenix Wright (Bonus: Apollo Justice as a Phoenix echo :p)
  2. Geno
  3. Dr. Eggman
  4. Jack Frost
  5. Knuckles

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Being honest here, Banjo and Kazooie are the only 3rd parties I actively want. You won't see me jumping out of my seat and cheering for anyone else. But let's just say I had to pick four other characters to root for...

Geno... as much as I hate calling him a 3rd party character, that's what he is...

Dr. Robotnik, in a slightly more compact egg mobile

Bonk... because i'm a filthy retro game loving boomer that wishes Brink of Extinction wasn't cancelled and that Bonk went the distance with Mario and Sonic.

Erdrick ...You know. From Dragon Quest.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Oh, we can go a little crazy here, nice:

Knuckles (Sonic series)

Yes I know he's an assist trophy haha

Grew up on sega genesis, played the HELL out of the sonic games, when introduced to Knuckles I thought he was the coolest thing ever, he's still one of my favorite game characters period, him being a fighter in smash never felt like it could happen, so I'm pleased he got in as an Assist Trophy at least, here's hoping for Tails, who I like much less, but would love for him to join Sonic. I'm not a big fan of Shadow but he seems more likely. If he can be similar to Sonic but have his own unique moves in the way Isabelle is for Villager he might be pretty cool.

Sora (Kingdom Hearts series)

Pretty simple, I love the games, grew up with all the disney movies that are featured in the games, the combat is fun and he would fit perfectly in smash, here's hoping. Also KH music in smash yes pls.

Banjo-Kazooie (<---)

I really have a feeling they will be a big DLC character, as much as I want them in the base game, I feel like Nintendo would want to add them later to really get us hyped even after the game comes out.

Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)

Again a huge fan of the games and the character, he has no real fighting abilities but MvC did a real awesome job with him, but as much as I love the character I think he fit better in there than he would in smash.

Professor Layton (<--- series)

Least likely of the 5, I honestly would just love to see how Sakurai could make him work, sure fencing, but I also want to throw hint coins at people, would be cool imo.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
I won't be counting ones that have already gotten in, and ones already confirmed as Assist Trophies.
In no specific order:

-Banjo-Kazooie
-Crash Bandicoot
-Spyro
-Rayman
-Nightmare (Soul Calibur)

Would love to see these guys, along with their series, being represented in Smash. And in the case of Rayman, represented more than just a couple of trophies. Although my number one 3rd party character already got in (Simon), so I'm sufficiently satisfied at this point. :)

energonkid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Energon_kid
Switch FC
SW-5446-8459-8780
1. Shovel Knight - I know that they are an assist trophy, but he'll always be my most wanted character. Shovel Knight would just be too perfect.

2. Steve from Minecraft - He would be a perfect fit. Incredibly iconic, from one of the most popular games of all time. Building mechanics would be super unique, and a Microsoft character would be awesome.

3. Doomguy - we've got great representations of the Fighting and RPG genres in Ryu and Cloud, so I think Shooters could really use a rep. He's got a ton of history with Nintendo, and his moveset potential is immense.

4. Rayman - I loved his modern games, he's been requested a ton for years and seems quite likely in the grand scheme of things. Definitely the most likely of the 5 I want.

5. Monster Hunter - Not super familiar with franchise, I just think it'd be a super neat character, with all their weapons and such, is a franchise connected deeply to Nintendo and Capcom could use a few more characters, and I think they'd make more sense than Dante, lol.

I feel like Banjo, Geno, a Dragon Quest rep and a new Bandai Namco character are on the likely side of third parties, but I don't particularly care for them.

But I'm cool with basically anything. Just as long as we don't get Shantae, lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom