• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who are the Newcomers in your dream Smash?

UserKev

Smash Champion
This topic is a unique distinguish from the brain dead most wanted character topics. But rather aiming for a more satisfying approach and explaining why you are choosing these specific characters as if you are Sakurai. You don't really gotta explain tho. Its optional. Non video game characters are not allowed.

In my dream Smash Bros, these are the Newcomers.

Super Mario Bros: Wart is my pick as a strong Retro and unforgettable villain.
DK: Cranky Kong is the Newcomer for DK, mainly because he'd bring a refreshingly unique and historic moveset to Smash, being one of the earliest Kongs.
Animal Crossing: I decide to pick Mr. Resetti. Not only being iconic to the Animal Crossing series, but ultimately due to his sheer potential for a unique moveset.
Kirby Dreamland: Adeleine or regular Waddle Dee
Earthbound: Porky

For third party starter, Dragonborn is my first decided pick.

In my dream Smash Bros (which the name is Nova) (Don't steal the name please)
Mario reps: Waluigi (most popular pick for smash), Geno (2nd most requested Mario character)
Zelda reps: Impa (her design is based on HW: Age of Calamity)
Kirby: Magolor, Galacta Knight and Bandana Dee
Pokemon: Rillaboom (It represents Gen 8)
Xenoblade: Rex (Was considered to be in SSBU, but he was cut)
Retro Picks: ExciteBiker (His game was really popular racing game made by Nintendo), Urban Champion (Best Pick, since his game "Urban Champion" is SSB's Ancestor) and Takamaru (Cool pick, very known in East, but also Assist Trophy that has chance to enter the Smashing Battle Arena)
3rd Party Pick: Master Chief (is really popular in West and also good Microsoft Rep) and Kratos (We need Playstation reps in smash)

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
If I was tasked with pleasing people... hoo boy.
  1. Waluigi
  2. Ashley & Red
  3. Tails
  4. Knuckles
  5. Eggman
  6. Genesect
  7. Crazy Redd
  8. Space Invader
  9. Impa (Elderly)
  10. Tingle
  11. Ganon (Pig)
  12. Kratos
  13. Crash Bandicoot
  14. Doomguy
  15. Red (Angry Birds)
  16. Cuphead
  17. Plasm Wraith
  18. PaRappa the Rapper
  19. Muddy Mole
  20. Jill & Drill Dozer
Clones:
  1. Paula (Ness clone)
  2. The Amazon (Incineroar clone)
  3. Ms. Pac-Man (Pac-Man clone)
  4. Waddle Dee (Regular) (Kirby clone)
  5. Kaptain K. Rool (K. Rool klone)

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
( Paya Legend of Zelda via Nintendo. ) Her playing similar to a beloved orange jumpsuited ninja Naruto would be extreme hype

( Milla Maxwell ( Tales of Xillia 1&2 ) via Bandai Namco ) 2nd sword wielder i would love. first being pythra

( Ahri League of Legends via Riot Games & Tencent ) Her play style would most likely hype me for 1v1s for the first time ever

( Jack-O from ( Guilty Gear XRD Revelator ) via Arc System ) Her play style would most likely hype me for 1v1s for the first time ever

( Matoi ( Phantasy Star Online 2 ) via Sega ) a high damage mage..... sign me up

( Master Chief ( Halo ) via 343 Industries & Microsoft ) Halo 3 and Halo Reach was my gaming life during my teen years

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Knuckles is my first priority Sonic Newcomer.
My Zelda curve ball is Octorok as a newcomer. Or Skull Kid, unforgettable fan favorite.

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
My game puts an emphasis on weird picks...a natural side-effect of my eccentricity. I should note beforehand that in this game, all of Ultimate's fighters are returning, although the teams have been split up. This means that Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Pyra, and Mythra are all individual characters.

First, the Base Game Newcomers:
  1. Waluigi - Fan-favorite, neat choice to kick off the first reveal trailer with. He's one of few predictable characters in the base game.
  2. Vaati - The first real trailer after the initial reveal is all about new villains joining the roster. Up first is an unexpected Zelda character, the first hint towards the slightly less predictable picks this game has to offer.
  3. Porky - The second new villain is fairly popular but still a good surprise.
  4. Captain Syrup - The third and final villain in the trailer is also a big surprise, but definitely an exciting one.
  5. Knuckles - Throwing the Eggman and Shadow fans for a loop, Knuckles brings in a similar playstyle to the one he has in Project+.
  6. Lip - Lip (featuring all the other eight fairies as alts) is the game's retro character.
  7. Octoling - An echo fighter for the Inkling, revealed in the same trailer that announces decloned versions of Daisy and Dark Samus.
  8. Sir Arthur - Representing the first and only new third-party franchise in the base game.
  9. Gardevoir - Representing Gen III, Gardevoir is kind of predictable, but still a welcome surprise for many.
  10. Gothitelle - Representing Gen V, Gothitelle is Gardevoir's echo fighter. They are revealed together.
  11. Kamek - The base game's final newcomer is another villain, this time representing the Yoshi series.
Next up, the first DLC Pass:
  1. Geno - The first DLC character is a crowd-pleaser and little more. Personally, that's the main reason I picked him here.
  2. Kris, Susie, and Ralsei - An unexpected indie game rep, that serves as a unique three-man team.
  3. Demitri - Representing a mostly-forgotten fighting game franchise, Demitri is very unexpected.
  4. Dr. Eggman - At this point, it's more surprising to see a character many people have asked for...He has his Classic, Sonic Boom, and Movie variants as alts.
  5. Sirfetch'd - Representing Gen VIII, because I really didn't want to use one of the starters. Although I may swap this guy out for a Legends: Arceus character later on...
DLC Pass #2:
  1. Conker - By this point, you're probably tired of me just saying the character choices are surprises...
  2. Sora - Hey look, another character people asked for! He's still a bit of a surprise though as he actually brings a little bit of Disney content to the game...not very much though!
  3. Viridi - Expecting Medusa or Hades? Too bad, Nature Time!
  4. Mike Jones - The truly unexpected Nintendo character choice is the one Nintendo themselves prefers to ignore.
  5. Space Invaders - Closing out the DLC is one of gaming's greatest icons...
Finally, after both Passes are released, two bonus fighters are added to the game: Master Hand and Crazy Hand. Master Hand is unlocked if you purchase every character in the first pass, while Crazy Hand is unlocked if you purchase every character in the second pass.

Also, here are some additional newcomers who have been added as alternate costumes for veteran fighters:
  • Slippy (Fox)
  • Paula (Ness)
  • Dry Bowser (Bowser)
  • Peppy (Falco)
  • Big Boss (Snake)
  • Classic Sonic (Sonic)
  • Boom Sonic (Sonic)
  • Teen Sonic (Sonic)
  • Louie (Olimar)
  • The President (Olimar)
  • Brittany (Olimar)
  • Charlie (Olimar)
  • Proto Man (Mega Man)
  • Bass (Mega Man)
  • Roll (Mega Man)
  • Ms. Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
  • All the other Dragon Quest Heroes (Hero)
  • Skeleton (Steve)
  • Piglin (Steve)
  • Jesse from Minecraft Story Mode (Steve)

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
For starters I'd keep every character from Ultimate (including the currently unknown CP11 fighter), and change some characters' movesets to better represent them. As for new characters:
  • Decidueye - He's been my most wanted since before Ultimate was even announced. Incineroar is fine, but I'd be over the moon if Decidueye ever got in. I still love the idea of an archer character, even if everyone else would hate it.
  • Phoenix Wright - I love Ace Attorney, and I think Phoenix could have a very interesting moveset since his game is decidedly not action oriented. I haven't quite figured out how to implement Ace Attorney's gameplay into a fighting game moveset, but I'm sure it's possible. Also, I NEED Ace Attorney's OST in Smash.
  • Rayman - Been wanting him since the Sm4sh days. He'd be really easy to implement, but he'd also be incredibly fun.
  • Dixie Kong - Dixie is the biggest 1st party female character to not be in Smash yet and the only kong with a starring role to not be in Smash yet. We know Sakurai considered her for Brawl, which makes it all the more jarring that she isn't in yet. She's all we need to complete the DK crew. She'd likely be somewhat similar to Diddy, but different enough to stand on her own.
  • Bandana Dee - Another character that would be really easy to translate into Smash and rounds out his series' character represntation.
  • Isaac - I don't love Golden Sun like some other people do, but there's a lot I like about it, and I think Isaac fans deserve their character already. Isaac has tons of potential for an earthbending-based Smash moveset. He could even have a full on gimmick where he swaps Djinn and gets different specials, but it's completely optional. Also, he'd add another great soundtrack.
  • Geno - I haven't played Super Mario RPG yet (though I will very soon - right after I'm done with my 2-game Metroid marathon) but like Isaac, Geno's been a huge request for years that I would love to see realized. He does seem like a cool character, and I even thought he'd be the final character revealed for Ultimate's base roster before the whole Grinch debacle.
  • Dr. Eggman - I'm not one to add reps for the sake of reps, but damn, Sonic could really use another character. Eggman would be the perfect choice, though you can't go wrong with any of the popular choices. Smash has so many iconic villains now, and Eggman feels like the only one missing. Plus, he has a completely unique moveset with his mech and there's a bunch of different Eggman fights to pull attacks from.
  • Waluigi - C'mon. It's time.
There's more, but those are the big ones. I might add more later if I feel like it. I know it's very... vanilla, but I can't really think of many characters that would surprise people and please me at the same time. I like surprises, which is why I enjoyed this game's roster as much as I did, but I can't really pull them myself. It's why I'd rather have Sakurai stay in the director's chair at the end of the day.
Additionally, here's a few echo fighters that I think would be cool:

• Impa (Sheik)
  • Galacta Knight (Meta Knight)
  • Octoling (Inkling)
  • Ryunosuke Naruhodo (Phoenix Wright)

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
1st party picks:

Bandanna Waddle Dee
Adelline and Ribbon
Viridi
Officer Howard
Waluigi
Cranky Kong
Dixie Kong
Ganon (pig form)
The Champions from BotW
Eevee (with ability to swap to different evolutions)
Isaac
Lyn

3rd party picks:
Shovel Knight
Shantae
Sora
Kratos
Doom Guy
Crash Bandicoot

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Here's what mine would be:
(Everyone would be back)
First Party Newcomers
Mario

• Waluigi
  • King Boo
Donkey Kong
  • Dixie Kong
  • Cranky Kong
  • Tiny/Lanky/Chunky (Like a 2nd Pokemon Trainer)
  • Kritter
Legend of Zelda
  • Skull Kid
  • Minda & Wolf Link
  • Impa (Age of Calamity incarnation)
  • Ganon (The blue pig incarnation)
Metroid
  • Kraid (the small fake version)
  • Mother Brain
  • E.M.M.I
Yoshi
  • Poochy
Kirby
  • Bandana Dee
  • Adeleine & Ribbon
  • Gooey
  • Galacta Knight
  • Dark Matter
Star Fox
  • Krystal
  • Andross (Star Fox 0 incarnation)
Pokemon
  • Sceptile (Gen 3 rep)
  • Genesect (Gen 5 rep, from Pokeball to Fighter)
  • Toxtricity (Gen 8 rep)
Earthbound
  • Porky
  • Gigue
F-ZERO
  • Black Shadow
Fire Emblem
  • Hector
  • Lyn
Kid Icarus
  • Hades
Wario
  • The Shake King
Pikmin
  • Plasm Wraith
Animal Crossing
  • Tom Nook
Wii Fit
  • Wii Balance Board
Punch-Out!
  • Dr. Louis
Mii Fighters
  • Mage (Magic attacks)
  • Hammer (Wields a hammer like Dedede)
  • Gamer (Fights with Nintendo consoles)
  • Athlete (Uses sports equipment)
Xenoblade
  • Elma
Splatoon
  • DJ Octavio
ARMS
  • Helix
Third Party Newcomers
Metal Gear

• Raiden
Sonic
  • Dr. Eggman
Mega Man
  • X
Pac-Man
  • Spooky (The villain from Pac-Man World 2)
Street Fighter
  • Chun-Li
Final Fantasy
  • Vivi Ornitier
Bayonetta
  • Father Balder
Castlevania
  • Alucard
Persona
  • Yu Narukami
Dragon Quest
  • Slime
Banjo-Kazooie
  • Gruntilda
Fatal Fury
  • Mai Shiranui
Minecraft
  • Creeper (Would use other Hostile Mobs to assist in battle)
New Franchises
  • Amaterasu (Okami)
  • Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
  • Heavy (Team Fortress)
  • Earthworm Jim (Earthworm Jim)
  • The Octane (Rocket League)
  • Henry Stickmin (The HS Collection)
  • Blinx (Blinx: The Time Sweeper)
  • Yooka & Laylee (Yooka & Laylee)
  • Octodad (Octodad)
  • Peppino (Pizza Tower)
  • The Biomass (Carrion)
  • Camo (Skylanders)
  • Isaac (Binding of Isaac)
  • Bull Shark (Maneater)
  • Meat Boy (Super Meat Boy)
  • Space Invaders (Space Invaders)
  • Centipede (Atari)
  • Spyro (Spyro the Dragon)
New Echo Fighters
  • Midbus (Bowser)
  • Lord Fredrik (King K. Rool)
  • Hilda (Zelda)
  • King D-Mind (King Dedede)
  • Raichu (Pikachu)
  • Blood Falcon (Captain Falcon)
  • Mecha Sonic (Sonic)
  • Medusa (Bayonetta)
  • Jeanne (Bayonetta)

Here's what mine would be:
(Everyone would be back)
First Party Newcomers
Mario

• Waluigi
  • King Boo
Donkey Kong
  • Dixie Kong
  • Cranky Kong
  • Tiny/Lanky/Chunky (Like a 2nd Pokemon Trainer)
  • Kritter
Legend of Zelda
  • Skull Kid
  • Minda & Wolf Link
  • Impa (Age of Calamity incarnation)
  • Ganon (The blue pig incarnation)
Metroid
  • Kraid (the small fake version)
  • Mother Brain
  • E.M.M.I
Yoshi
  • Poochy
Kirby
  • Bandana Dee
  • Adeleine & Ribbon
  • Gooey
  • Galacta Knight
  • Dark Matter
Star Fox
  • Krystal
  • Andross (Star Fox 0 incarnation)
Pokemon
  • Sceptile (Gen 3 rep)
  • Genesect (Gen 5 rep, from Pokeball to Fighter)
  • Toxtricity (Gen 8 rep)
Earthbound
  • Porky
  • Gigue
F-ZERO
  • Black Shadow
Fire Emblem
  • Hector
  • Lyn
Kid Icarus
  • Hades
Wario
  • The Shake King
Pikmin
  • Plasm Wraith
Animal Crossing
  • Tom Nook
Wii Fit
  • Wii Balance Board
Punch-Out!
  • Dr. Louis
Mii Fighters
  • Mage (Magic attacks)
  • Hammer (Wields a hammer like Dedede)
  • Gamer (Fights with Nintendo consoles)
  • Athlete (Uses sports equipment)
Xenoblade
  • Elma
Splatoon
  • DJ Octavio
ARMS
  • Helix
Third Party Newcomers
Metal Gear

• Raiden
Sonic
  • Dr. Eggman
Mega Man
  • X
Pac-Man
  • Spooky (The villain from Pac-Man World 2)
Street Fighter
  • Chun-Li
Final Fantasy
  • Vivi Ornitier
Bayonetta
  • Father Balder
Castlevania
  • Alucard
Persona
  • Yu Narukami
Dragon Quest
  • Slime
Banjo-Kazooie
  • Gruntilda
Fatal Fury
  • Mai Shiranui
Minecraft
  • Creeper (Would use other Hostile Mobs to assist in battle)
New Franchises
  • Amaterasu (Okami)
  • Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
  • Heavy (Team Fortress)
  • Earthworm Jim (Earthworm Jim)
  • The Octane (Rocket League)
  • Henry Stickmin (The HS Collection)
  • Blinx (Blinx: The Time Sweeper)
  • Yooka & Laylee (Yooka & Laylee)
  • Octodad (Octodad)
  • Peppino (Pizza Tower)
  • The Biomass (Carrion)
  • Camo (Skylanders)
  • Isaac (Binding of Isaac)
  • Bull Shark (Maneater)
  • Meat Boy (Super Meat Boy)
  • Space Invaders (Space Invaders)
  • Centipede (Atari)
  • Spyro (Spyro the Dragon)
New Echo Fighters
  • Midbus (Bowser)
  • Lord Fredrik (King K. Rool)
  • Hilda (Zelda)
  • King D-Mind (King Dedede)
  • Raichu (Pikachu)
  • Blood Falcon (Captain Falcon)
  • Mecha Sonic (Sonic)
  • Medusa (Bayonetta)
  • Jeanne (Bayonetta)
I agree with you, Andross should be in the Roster instead of being an Assist.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Mimikyu is my Newcomer for Pokemon. I thought about it, it was almost the face of gen 7.
Alucard is my Castlevania Newcomer, already being an assist in Ultimate. Now playable character.
Scorpion is my third selected Newcomer as special third party.

Ruler of Subspace

Smash Apprentice
Oh my... Unlimited newcomers to wish for? Dream Smash? This is definitely something for me.

Mario series:
Waluigi
Geno
Dementio
Shadow Mario
8-Bit Mario
Bouldergeist
King Boo
King Bob-omb
Mad Piano

Donkey Kong series:
Kritter
Dixie Kong

Zelda series:
Skull Kid
Impa
Midna
Ganon
Calamity Ganon (Age of Calamity)

Metroid series:
Sylux
E.M.M.I

Yoshi series:
Shy Guy

Kirby series:
Marx
Bandana Waddle Dee

Star Fox series:
Slippy
Krystal
Fay
Andross

Pokémon series:
MissingNo. (I'm not sure if this would even count since it's not an official character)
Mimikyu
Inteleon
Decidueye

Mother series:
Kumatora
Porky
Giegue

Metal Gear series:
Raiden
Gray Fox

Sonic the Hedgehog series:
Eggman
Tails
Amy
Shadow
Silver
Knuckles

Mii series:
Mage
Athlete

Castlevania series:
Alucard
Dracula

Persona series:
Yu Narukami

Minecraft series:
Arch-Illager

Tekken series:
Heihachi
Jin
Yoshimitsu

New series characters:
Carmen Sandiego (edutainment rep)
Sans (indie rep)
Reimu Hakurei (bullet hell/"public domain" rep [public domain in quotations because im pretty sure certain things have copyrights within the touhou franchise/community])
Doom Slayer (FPS rep, although Duck Hunt is arguably the first)
Freddy Fazbear (horror rep)
Ray MK III (Mii costume upgrade)
Tabuu (Smash rep)
Mach Rider (back from the cutting board)
Excitebiker (racing rep)
Phoenix Wright (visual novel rep)
Plok (extreme obscurity rep)
Labo Man (toys-to-life rep)
Space Invaders (arcade rep)
Ring Fit Trainer (another sports rep because yes)
Chell (portals could be extremely interesting)

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
For starters I'd keep every character from Ultimate (including the currently unknown CP11 fighter), and change some characters' movesets to better represent them. As for new characters:
  1. Decidueye - He's been my most wanted since before Ultimate was even announced. Incineroar is fine, but I'd be over the moon if Decidueye ever got in. I still love the idea of an archer character, even if everyone else would hate it.
  2. Phoenix Wright - I love Ace Attorney, and I think Phoenix could have a very interesting moveset since his game is decidedly not action oriented. I haven't quite figured out how to implement Ace Attorney's gameplay into a fighting game moveset, but I'm sure it's possible. Also, I NEED Ace Attorney's OST in Smash.
  3. Rayman - Been wanting him since the Sm4sh days. He'd be really easy to implement, but he'd also be incredibly fun.
  4. Dixie Kong - Dixie is the biggest 1st party female character to not be in Smash yet and the only kong with a starring role to not be in Smash yet. We know Sakurai considered her for Brawl, which makes it all the more jarring that she isn't in yet. She's all we need to complete the DK crew. She'd likely be somewhat similar to Diddy, but different enough to stand on her own.
  5. Bandana Dee - Another character that would be really easy to translate into Smash and rounds out his series' character represntation.
  6. Isaac - I don't love Golden Sun like some other people do, but there's a lot I like about it, and I think Isaac fans deserve their character already. Isaac has tons of potential for an earthbending-based Smash moveset. He could even have a full on gimmick where he swaps Djinn and gets different specials, but it's completely optional. Also, he'd add another great soundtrack.
  7. Geno - I haven't played Super Mario RPG yet (though I will very soon - right after I'm done with my 2-game Metroid marathon) but like Isaac, Geno's been a huge request for years that I would love to see realized. He does seem like a cool character, and I even thought he'd be the final character revealed for Ultimate's base roster before the whole Grinch debacle.
  8. Dr. Eggman - I'm not one to add reps for the sake of reps, but damn, Sonic could really use another character. Eggman would be the perfect choice, though you can't go wrong with any of the popular choices. Smash has so many iconic villains now, and Eggman feels like the only one missing. Plus, he has a completely unique moveset with his mech and there's a bunch of different Eggman fights to pull attacks from.
  9. Waluigi - C'mon. It's time.
There's more, but those are the big ones. I might add more later if I feel like it. I know it's very... vanilla, but I can't really think of many characters that would surprise people and please me at the same time. I like surprises, which is why I enjoyed this game's roster as much as I did, but I can't really pull them myself. It's why I'd rather have Sakurai stay in the director's chair at the end of the day.
Additionally, here's a few echo fighters that I think would be cool:

• Impa (Sheik)
  • Galacta Knight (Meta Knight)
  • Octoling (Inkling)
  • Ryunosuke Naruhodo (Phoenix Wright)
I'll expand on this a little, since I have a lot more free time today. My goal is to have 100 numbered characters (not including echo fighters), and my current character count stands at 91 (Smash Ultimate's character selection + every character I added = 82 + 9 = 91), so I have 9 more characters I can add.

• Shovel Knight - Even before his popularity exploded during the Smash Ballot era, the idea of Shovel Knight in Smash always seemed cool to me. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about him being a fighter in this day and age, since his Assist Trophy was satisfying enough for me and I can already play as him in a more mechanically sound platform fighter (I like Smash Ultimate more than Rivals of Aether due to what it accomplishes, but RoA is significantly better in terms of balance and design), but seeing as I have 9 open slots, I don't see a reason not to add him. I considered The Knight from Hollow Knight as an indie rep due to being just as easy to translate into Smash and coming from a game that I think is better overall (that isn't an insult to Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight is just that good), but the logical part of my brain decided to go for the indie rep that has more legacy and popularity within the Smash community. Also, whether Shovel Knight is playable or not, the fact there are no songs from the game is criminal.
  • Rhythm Heaven character - I think the fact Sakurai has stayed completely silent on the lack of a Rhythm Heaven character in Smash is quite jarring, seeing as he acknowledged many other characters who were on the table at one point or another. But we know a RH character was more than likely planned for Sm4sh but was scrapped for one reason or another, and if I were in the director's chair, I'd make sure to rectify that. A Rhythm Heaven character would be very similar to Mr. Game & Watch in the sense that it'd use attacks based on the many minigames from across the series' history, and would have a rhythm mechanic on top of that.
That's 93 characters so far. Now for the last 7 characters I'm not entirely sure about:
  • Deku Link/Goron Link/Zora Link - Like I said earlier, I usually don't add reps for the sake of adding reps. However, it seems like the Smash community really wants another Zelda character that isn't a clone, so I decided to pull from the last Zelda game I played and just give Young Link 3 more transformations that would all play completely differently. Deku Link would be one of the lightest characters in the game with a lot of focus on aerial combat, Goron Link would be a heavyweight with many powerful attacks, and Zora Link would... exist as well, since you can't have Deku Link and Goron Link without having Zora Link. Uniquely, it wouldn't be able to drown until it hits 100%, even if I'm not sure how useful that would be. Also, all 4 forms would share a Final Smash that's similar to Young Link's current one, except he transforms into Fierce Deity Link. I know it's not the Zelda character people have in mind since it's still just 3 more forms of Link, but that's just what you get when you want another character from a series and have no clear frontrunner in mind.
  • Officer Howard - Officer Howard is the protagonist of one of Nintendo's newer IPs, Astral Chain. Both male and female versions are playable, but as I haven't played Astral Chain yet, I still don't entirely know how they'd play. From what I can tell, Howard is pretty much a stand user that has a physical chain-like link to their stand. That sounds like a very cool character concept, but seeing as Sakurai couldn't make Rex and Pyra work I have some doubts as to how one can make this one work. I'm putting them here for now but they could easily get booted later.
  • Crash Bandicoot - Crash seems to be one of the most popular characters in the speculation scene these days. Even before that, I thought the idea of having Crash fight Sonic and Mario was really cool, but I haven't actually played his games yet other than the first game, which I dropped because it's a horribly designed game. I hear it gets better after that, so for now Crash is in a bit of a limbo here as I wouldn't mind seeing him, but I don't really have an attachment to him.
  • Sora - Apparently, I completely underestimated just how popular this character is back in the day, even though he was in Smash Flash 2 which I technically played before I ever owned a Nintendo system. I haven't played Kingdom Hearts yet either, but my friend convinced me so I guess I'll do it one day. The one concern most people seem to have is the Disney characters, but I think you can get away with only having Donald and Goofy help Sora with his Final Smash and having spirits for them and Mickey. Or, if you don't want to open that can of worms, you can exclude them altogether and few people would complain. I think it would be kinda funny if they were in, personally, and it's the most non-video game presence I can tolerate.
  • Master Chief - And now for the last third-party character from a series I haven't played,. With Microsoft already having two characters in the game, I really don't see why one more wouldn't be able to make it in, and Master Chief is the biggest gaming icon they have. Not only that, but unlike Steve and Banjo, Master Chief is a true Xbox icon, which would be insane to see in Smash. It would truly make Smash the definitive gaming crossover. Like I said, I still haven't played Halo, but he has tons of sci-fi guns and a cool energy sword so I know of some moveset potential. I'll get back to you on him after I try out the Halo Infinite multiplayer once that drops, since it is free.
And that's the roster. In case you couldn't keep up:

Aaaaand it's still one of the most vanilla rosters out there. Oh well. Do note that Young Link's transfomations don't show up in the character select screen, though you can choose your default transformation when selecting your character.
There's 100 characters and 11 echo fighters, so 111 characters in total. This roster isn't grounded in reality at all, so I could totally add more if I wanted to, but I think it's a good number to cap it off. I'm already pretty content with what we have even if I think it can be improved, so adding more for the sake of adding more just doesn't feel right to me.
I should also note that this is still subject to change.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Honestly I would make a new criteria expansion for iconic enemies and add the Polar Bear from Ice Climbers and Octorok from Zelda, both being sheer recognizable. I would also add Decidueye as a special priority, Pokemon rep expansion.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I'll expand on this a little, since I have a lot more free time today. My goal is to have 100 numbered characters (not including echo fighters), and my current character count stands at 91 (Smash Ultimate's character selection + every character I added = 82 + 9 = 91), so I have 9 more characters I can add.

• Shovel Knight - Even before his popularity exploded during the Smash Ballot era, the idea of Shovel Knight in Smash always seemed cool to me. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about him being a fighter in this day and age, since his Assist Trophy was satisfying enough for me and I can already play as him in a more mechanically sound platform fighter (I like Smash Ultimate more than Rivals of Aether due to what it accomplishes, but RoA is significantly better in terms of balance and design), but seeing as I have 9 open slots, I don't see a reason not to add him. I considered The Knight from Hollow Knight as an indie rep due to being just as easy to translate into Smash and coming from a game that I think is better overall (that isn't an insult to Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight is just that good), but the logical part of my brain decided to go for the indie rep that has more legacy and popularity within the Smash community. Also, whether Shovel Knight is playable or not, the fact there are no songs from the game is criminal.
  • Rhythm Heaven character - I think the fact Sakurai has stayed completely silent on the lack of a Rhythm Heaven character in Smash is quite jarring, seeing as he acknowledged many other characters who were on the table at one point or another. But we know a RH character was more than likely planned for Sm4sh but was scrapped for one reason or another, and if I were in the director's chair, I'd make sure to rectify that. A Rhythm Heaven character would be very similar to Mr. Game & Watch in the sense that it'd use attacks based on the many minigames from across the series' history, and would have a rhythm mechanic on top of that.
That's 93 characters so far. Now for the last 7 characters I'm not entirely sure about:
  • Deku Link/Goron Link/Zora Link - Like I said earlier, I usually don't add reps for the sake of adding reps. However, it seems like the Smash community really wants another Zelda character that isn't a clone, so I decided to pull from the last Zelda game I played and just give Young Link 3 more transformations that would all play completely differently. Deku Link would be one of the lightest characters in the game with a lot of focus on aerial combat, Goron Link would be a heavyweight with many powerful attacks, and Zora Link would... exist as well, since you can't have Deku Link and Goron Link without having Zora Link. Uniquely, it wouldn't be able to drown until it hits 100%, even if I'm not sure how useful that would be. Also, all 4 forms would share a Final Smash that's similar to Young Link's current one, except he transforms into Fierce Deity Link. I know it's not the Zelda character people have in mind since it's still just 3 more forms of Link, but that's just what you get when you want another character from a series and have no clear frontrunner in mind.
  • Officer Howard - Officer Howard is the protagonist of one of Nintendo's newer IPs, Astral Chain. Both male and female versions are playable, but as I haven't played Astral Chain yet, I still don't entirely know how they'd play. From what I can tell, Howard is pretty much a stand user that has a physical chain-like link to their stand. That sounds like a very cool character concept, but seeing as Sakurai couldn't make Rex and Pyra work I have some doubts as to how one can make this one work. I'm putting them here for now but they could easily get booted later.
  • Crash Bandicoot - Crash seems to be one of the most popular characters in the speculation scene these days. Even before that, I thought the idea of having Crash fight Sonic and Mario was really cool, but I haven't actually played his games yet other than the first game, which I dropped because it's a horribly designed game. I hear it gets better after that, so for now Crash is in a bit of a limbo here as I wouldn't mind seeing him, but I don't really have an attachment to him.
  • Sora - Apparently, I completely underestimated just how popular this character is back in the day, even though he was in Smash Flash 2 which I technically played before I ever owned a Nintendo system. I haven't played Kingdom Hearts yet either, but my friend convinced me so I guess I'll do it one day. The one concern most people seem to have is the Disney characters, but I think you can get away with only having Donald and Goofy help Sora with his Final Smash and having spirits for them and Mickey. Or, if you don't want to open that can of worms, you can exclude them altogether and few people would complain. I think it would be kinda funny if they were in, personally, and it's the most non-video game presence I can tolerate.
  • Master Chief - And now for the last third-party character from a series I haven't played,. With Microsoft already having two characters in the game, I really don't see why one more wouldn't be able to make it in, and Master Chief is the biggest gaming icon they have. Not only that, but unlike Steve and Banjo, Master Chief is a true Xbox icon, which would be insane to see in Smash. It would truly make Smash the definitive gaming crossover. Like I said, I still haven't played Halo, but he has tons of sci-fi guns and a cool energy sword so I know of some moveset potential. I'll get back to you on him after I try out the Halo Infinite multiplayer once that drops, since it is free.
And that's the roster. In case you couldn't keep up:

Aaaaand it's still one of the most vanilla rosters out there. Oh well. Do note that Young Link's transfomations don't show up in the character select screen, though you can choose your default transformation when selecting your character.
There's 100 characters and 11 echo fighters, so 111 characters in total. This roster isn't grounded in reality at all, so I could totally add more if I wanted to, but I think it's a good number to cap it off. I'm already pretty content with what we have even if I think it can be improved, so adding more for the sake of adding more just doesn't feel right to me.
I should also note that this is still subject to change.
Decided to make some changes.
Dream Roster 6.png

Trimmed it down to 11 newcomers

Removed all the echo fighters because they were filler anyway

Removed Bandana Dee and Crash as I no longer have any interest in seeing them as fighters

Removed Shovel Knight and Karate Joe, I still think they'd be dope but the latter is low priority for me and the former is already in Rivals of Aether

Replaced Eggman with Tails due to personal preference. Either of them would be really cool but I just like Tails better

Replaced Officer Howard with Dragaux from Ring Fit Adventure as the modern Nintendo rep

Added Lloyd

100 characters total

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
If I were Sakurai and in charge of the series with no restrictions whatsoever, here's the roster I'd make:
  • Mario
  • Donkey Kong
  • Link
  • Samus
  • Yoshi
  • Kirby
  • Fox
  • Pikachu
  • Luigi
  • Ness
  • Captain Falcon
  • Meowth (:052:)
  • Peach
  • Bowser
  • Ice Climbers
  • Sheik
  • Zelda
  • Scizor (:212:)
  • Ayumi Tachibana
  • Marth
  • Mewtwo
  • Mr. Game & Watch
  • Young Link
  • Ganondorf
  • Falco
  • Roy
  • Meta Knight
  • Pit
  • Zero Suit Samus
  • Wario
  • Snake
  • Ike
  • Charizard
  • Diddy Kong
  • Lucas
  • Sonic
  • King Dedede
  • Olimar
  • Lucario
  • R.O.B.
  • Toon Link
  • Wolf
  • Wii Fit Trainer (in a Brawl rerelease)
  • Snivy
  • Mega Man
  • Villager
  • Rosalina & Luma
  • Little Mac
  • Greninja
  • Mii Fighters
  • Palutena
  • Dark Pit
  • PAC-MAN
  • Lucina
  • Robin
  • Shulk
  • Bowser Jr.
  • Duck Hunt
  • Ryu
  • Cloud
  • Azura (:azura:)
  • Bayonetta
  • Inkling
  • Simon
  • Richter
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Ridley
  • King K. Rool
  • Isabelle
  • Incineroar
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
Vol. 1
  • Joker
  • Hero
  • Banjo & Kazooie
  • Terry Bogard
  • Sora
Vol. 2
  • Min Min
  • Steve
  • Sephiroth
  • Pyra/Mythra
  • Kazuya
  • Dr. Eggman

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Isaac from Golden Sun (I had a poll where I didn't want to do assist trophies at first but eventually changed my mind and Isaac caught up fast. The fan base is strong.)
Sans (The reception of Sans was positive at least by his fan base and I really like grateful fans)
Crash Bandicoot (Does well in every poll I see)
Waluigi (He's just a popular first party)
Meowth (Very iconic due to the anime)
Black Shadow (Very easy to put into the game. Just make him a hybrid of Ganondorf and Falcon)
Sylux (I'm using Sylux as a place holder because I have a friend who likes him and metroid just had a new game but whoever has a new game that's popular)
Tails (We're due for another sonic character)
Skull Kid (We're due for another Legend of Zelda rep)
Coach from Left 4 Dead (or any African American character but I like Coach the most)
Mr Sandman (also a really cool African American and a Nintendo IP)
Sandbag (Smash bros deserves it's own OC in the game also I really like Sandbag)
Phoenix Wright (Very popular with smash fans and has a history on Nintendo. Also Capcom is easy to work with and Ace Attorney is relevant)
Reimu (I would love to see how a bullet-hell character plays in this game and I feel like most of my choices are too western)
F-Type (A car)

Top Bottom