• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who’s being slept on?

Soyaccino

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
In my time playing smash (every game since 64 but never competitive player) there’s been tier lists, broken characters and elite tactics.
AND THEN there’s the sudden revelation that a certain character is a weapon that we’ve all be sleeping on.

Who do you think is currently being slept on in smash and has the potential to rise the ranks?

FYI also I see tier lists as a realistic competitive player eventuality as opposed to something I choose my character by. I’m typically a Zoner player who loves me some item gameplay (dedede, villager and Isabelle)

GhostM

Phantom
The characters that are slept on are usually characters who are considered underrated, and in my opinion, these characters are slept on:

- Robin
- PAC Man
- Bowser Jr.
- Corrin
- Isabelle
- Duck Hunt

I feel like not enough people play them or represent them to get a feel of their true potential.

Soyaccino

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
The characters that are slept on are usually characters who are considered underrated, and in my opinion, these characters are slept on:

- Robin
- PAC Man
- Bowser Jr.
- Corrin
- Isabelle
- Duck Hunt

I feel like not enough people play them or represent them to get a feel of their true potential.
I’ve NEVER tried Corrin admittedly. Bowser Jr was my SSB4 main for a while but I’ve dodged them this time because (if I’m being honest) they seem to almost be a joke. Bottom of every tier makes even me nervous.

Couldn’t agree more with PAC and Robin. Isabelle relies on the rod and if they keep mucking it about in patches it’s hard to keep up a play style.

Also 100% with DuckHunt. That ‘can’ gameplay is limitless.

Personally I’d also add Lucario to the mix.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
Perhaps an odd one, but Plant in doubles, solely because if you Poison Cloud Joker while he goes for down-B, he pretty much has Arsene, so you can theoretically keep Arsene out on an allied Joker.

As for singles, I'd go for Pit and Dark Pit.

Soyaccino

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
:ultyoshi:

Representation ****s him up 90% of the time...
I find it hard to just jump onto him, even as a trial, mainly because of how different his jump, up B and recovery is. Could be the reason?

Nebunera

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo. People just saw the tail and gave up. Still has great kill setups, strong damage, amazing recovery, good kill throws, and does good against projectiles.

He is a high tier.

Last edited:

GhostM

Phantom
I’d like to add a couple of more characters to the previous list of mine from an earlier post:

- Toon Link :ulttoonlink:. Don’t really see that many people playing him, but see more of Link but higher amount of players for Young Link because of his fast moves. Toon Link has some potential but is still underrated. He relies a lot on his zoning potential to play.

- Dr. Mario :ultdoc:. See more people playing regular Mario than doc because of a better combo game, but doc is still a decent character who is better in this game than Smash 4. I will say that he still needs buffs, but is a fun character overall.

- Rosalina & Luma :ultrosalina:. Ever since people realized how she was nerfed from Smash 4, many people have moved on from this character. Again, underrated and unrepresented, but needs buffs.

- Ridley :ultridley:. I personally feel like the majority was hyped for his inclusion in Smash, but I don’t really see people playing him, often times running into a Ridley once in a while during online play, but I don’t think he has a major representation in the competitive scene.

Soyaccino

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
I’d like to add a couple of more characters to the previous list of mine from an earlier post:

- Toon Link :ulttoonlink:. Don’t really see that many people playing him, but see more of Link but higher amount of players for Young Link because of his fast moves. Toon Link has some potential but is still underrated. He relies a lot on his zoning potential to play.

^totally agree BUT having tried hard with him, by the time you’ve worn them down to about 160% and are ready to finish, getting in close is risky af as you’ve only really got things like back throw to tackle people. Awesome character though.

- Dr. Mario :ultdoc:. See more people playing regular Mario than doc because of a better combo game, but doc is still a decent character who is better in this game than Smash 4. I will say that he still needs buffs, but is a fun character overall.

^tonnes of this guy online recently! That tornado is ripping me up lol.

- Rosalina & Luma :ultrosalina:. Ever since people realized how she was nerfed from Smash 4, many people have moved on from this character. Again, underrated and unrepresented, but needs buffs.

^smash 4 has a lot to answer for considering it was on a dead console. Sheik, ZSS, Bayo, Rosa, Diddy ... all arguably lifeless in this game.

- Ridley :ultridley:. I personally feel like the majority was hyped for his inclusion in Smash, but I don’t really see people playing him, often times running into a Ridley once in a while during online play, but I don’t think he has a major representation in the competitive scene.
^ Ridley is plays like a ganon with wings. His projectile is only really helpful if they’re off stage as it is so easy to punish.
His main specials have all got such crippling startup times, team this with his (surprisingly) slow air speed and you often just have to settle for a very defensive play style which is a shame.
I really want to use him but his short range and slow / predictable recovery puts me off.

GhostM

Phantom
What about Mii Sword Fighter and Mii Gunner? I see people using Mii Brawler but I don't really see people playing Sword Fighter or Gunner enough to really show their true potential. Heck, I haven't even used them either. What about the Belmont's? I remember seeing them when the game first came out, and I sometimes see them on online play, but I see people playing Simon more than Richter, so I guess Richter is underrated as well, but I guess not since many of his moves are very similar to Simons as far as I'm aware. Might be wrong about that.

Now that I look at it most of the underrated characters once you've unlocked them all are at the bottom of the roster list, excluding only some who are more represented than others.

Soyaccino

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
What about Mii Sword Fighter and Mii Gunner? I see people using Mii Brawler but I don't really see people playing Sword Fighter or Gunner enough to really show their true potential. Heck, I haven't even used them either. What about the Belmont's? I remember seeing them when the game first came out, and I sometimes see them on online play, but I see people playing Simon more than Richter, so I guess Richter is underrated as well, but I guess not since many of his moves are very similar to Simons as far as I'm aware. Might be wrong about that.

Now that I look at it most of the underrated characters once you've unlocked them all are at the bottom of the roster list, excluding only some who are more represented than others.
I think the Belmont’s have SO much potential but because of their massive spam potential people avoid using them.

Since my initial post I started using Corrin and I can honestly say that he is awesome! You can be quite unpredictable and the F-smash range is lit!

GhostM

Phantom
I always find it to be rewarding and fun to play with the low tiers because of how different you would play them out due to how technical they are. Ever since I gave out my list I’ve been playing with Robin and Corrin and they’re fun characters to play with. I’ve been giving the belmonts some time too.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Doc. Is he good? Eh, debatable, but he’s not bad, and certainly not as bad as some say he is.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Doc. Is he good? Eh, debatable, but he’s not bad, and certainly not as bad as some say he is.
To be honest, many people likely think &/or say he's bad because he's an easy target to pick on.

-He's a clone of an series with a ton reps
-He's not super popular
-He's barely out of reach of becoming a very scary character to fight

Soyaccino

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
Mewtwo. People just saw the tail and gave up. Still has great kill setups, strong damage, amazing recovery, good kill throws, and does good against projectiles.

He is a high tier.
Feeling better now the tail is ‘fixed’?

Soyaccino

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
Anyone consider plant to have more potential than he’s being granted in the tier lists?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I find it hard to just jump onto him, even as a trial, mainly because of how different his jump, up B and recovery is. Could be the reason?
This is a pretty common problem with Yoshi. He's pretty solid overall, but he requires rethinking of how the game in general works due to the factors you mention.
A lot of people I've seen really just can't adapt to the lack of a conventional third jump and it seems to put them off trying him out after their usual tactics don't translate as well as they would to someone a little more straight forward.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Last I heard the top three played at EVO were :ultyoshi::ultfox::ultwolf:, right? Unless I'm mistaken, that's something for the green guy.

I like playing Yoshi. He's not a main, but definitely in my better half of the roster. It's fun catching people off guard with his jank, same as Dedede.

Soyaccino

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
Last I heard the top three played at EVO were :ultyoshi::ultfox::ultwolf:, right? Unless I'm mistaken, that's something for the green guy.

I like playing Yoshi. He's not a main, but definitely in my better half of the roster. It's fun catching people off guard with his jank, same as Dedede.
I agree with both the comments above re: Yoshi. In my exp he has no middle following. He’s either played by God’s or noobs (like jiggs).

I’d play King D more if they fixed his Gordo to make it less easy to bounce back at me lol.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Anyone consider plant to have more potential than he’s being granted in the tier lists?
No, he's pretty bad. He has some weird stuff but his frame data truly kills his viability. He's not safe on really ANYTHING and he isn't outspeeding people either. He's fun but I'd say he's as bad as most have assessed. He MAY see better use in doubles...maybe? But in singles he just gets thrown all around and can't really do much about it.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Duke Nukem

frezzthrower to freezeother fighters

shrink ray ro shrink other fighters

trip mines

pipe bomb

Jetpack

holograms

rpg

Devastator

chaingun

Plasma cannon

dule MP5KS

Two different shotguns

two different handguns

Mighty boot

Steroids for double speed

railgun

A lot of cut weapons like a laser chainsaw and a tazzer

crossbow

throwing knifes and axes

BMF Thunderstrike

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Duke Nukem

frezzthrower to freezeother fighters

shrink ray ro shrink other fighters

trip mines

pipe bomb

Jetpack

holograms

rpg

Devastator

chaingun

Plasma cannon

dule MP5KS

Two different shotguns

two different handguns

Mighty boot

Steroids for double speed

railgun

A lot of cut weapons like a laser chainsaw and a tazzer

crossbow

throwing knifes and axes

BMF Thunderstrike
Man, as much as I'd love Duke, I dunno if he'd ever make it in. If anyone would get in to represent old school shooters it'd probably be Doom Guy due to being, if somewhat barely, more palatable to general audiences than Duke XD But still, Duke would be my pick if I had to choose between the two.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Man, as much as I'd love Duke, I dunno if he'd ever make it in. If anyone would get in to represent old school shooters it'd probably be Doom Guy due to being, if somewhat barely, more palatable to general audiences than Duke XD But still, Duke would be my pick if I had to choose between the two.
If Banjo can get in So can Duke. But yes that new DOOM game coming out this year or next would go together well. and I'm leaving it at that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom