• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Dixie Kong would be awesome. I want her more than K. Rool even though that's a bannable offense in some circles.

D

Deleted member

Count me in as a supporter, Dixie was one of the most glarin omissions of Smash 4's roster in my opinion.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I’m playing Tropical Freeze for the first time, and it’s freaking kicking my ass! It was great to finally see Dixie in a starring role again though. You can definitely count me as a supporter! DK needs more reps. I support K Rool and Cranky as well, but I honestly don’t know what to expect at this point. I’m hoping we get at least one?

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
With DKC2 being my favorite game of all time, i strongly support Dixie and K. Rool!

slambros

Smash Ace
I think Dixie Kong has a stronger chance than before because Tropical Freeze, which released pretty close to Smash 4 in retrospect, is receiving that rerelease, showing that the character is being thought of.

:171:

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
the truth is: both Dixie and K Rool MUST be in this time. No reason to leave one or the other behind

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
BirthNote BirthNote Wow, that's amazing? You should work at Retro studios!
But as much as I would love another DKC from Retro, I think that wouldn't be a good idea. Tropical Freeze is a masterpiece and it deserves a 90% at least but it only has 83 on metacritic which is a shame. Most people thought it was a waste of retro's talent and many critics were biased because they expected Metroid. They only made 2 DK games which sold so much more than the whole Metroid prime series. So I hope the make a 3D Donkey Kong with many returning characters like the kremlins and the rest of the dk crew. Gameplaywise it should be a mix of breath of the wild and mario Odyssey but with new and fresh ideas. They should also push the switch hardware as the snes dk's and dk64 showcased the graphical capabilities of their consoles.
I really hope that we get at least one new DK character in smash switch this time. Dixie Kong and King K. Rool have to be in smash!

Btw sorry for my bad english:facepalm:

Morbi

Scavenger
the truth is: both Dixie and K Rool MUST be in this time. No reason to leave one or the other behind
It would honestly not surprise me. There are so few viable choices that doubling up on Donkey Kong makes the most sense. They would not even have to if they just added one in the first place.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dixie Kong AND King K.Rool would be a ideal outcome yes. But I also wouldn't mind Funky Kong at all, even if he where to be a downright clone of Donkey Kong, except using his surfboard instead of Spinning Kong.

StormC

Smash Hero
K. Rool and Dixie being added to the base game would be an unprecedented show of generosity to the DK franchise that Sakurai hasn't displayed before. I could see one being in the base game and one being DLC, though.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
DK is is just so underrepresented. There aren't any items from the dkc series in the game. Assist trophies are missing too. I could imagine a new type of item from dkc in smash: the animal crates! Imagine when a create shows up and you get Rambi, squawks or any other animal buddy and you smash through all the other players. That would be nice

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I really think that Dixie and k rool both have high chances to appear in the new smash game! Dixie because of dkc tropical freeze, which was completely ignored in smash 4 expect for some trophies and two boring tracks from the game (which is a shame because dkctf has tons of great music in it). Smash 4 was probably to far into development and sakurai learned too late about the existence of dkctf, so they couldn't put any more content from it into smash 4. Another reason could be the language barrier.
King K. Rool is one of the most requested characters and Sakurai gave us k. rool mii costume so he acknowledges what we want k rool. Unfortunately, k.rool hasn't appeared in a mainline dk game since dk64 and sakurai probably chose other characters over him because of relevance.
This time he can't come up with poor excuses!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I don't really care for Dixie Kong in Smash, I don't care for most of the Kongs. Dunno why, never really had much connection to the DK series

But I concede she is very likely, and I wish you all luck in your quest

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I'm thinking TF will have a larger prescence this time, given the remake and that it was released too late in development to warrent representation in Smash 4. I'd say a stage and music is a safe bet.

The RTC thread is making me too optimistic about Dixie; I might need to step back a bit. Though, I think it'll be hard for Sakurai to ignore DKC this time around. Imo, there's not a lot of realizable iconic or new characters left to represent (I'd say roughly 15-18 first party characters at max, including the Inklings).

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I agree with the semi-clone assessment. Every Smash game has had at least one clone or semi-clone (:luigi64:,:falcomelee:,:drmario:,:pichumelee:,:ganondorfmelee:,:roymelee:,:younglinkmelee:,:lucas:,:wolf:,:4darkpit:,:4lucina:), so I don't think this game will have all fully unique newcomers. I think Dixie's one of the most likely candidates for this treatment this time around; she's shown to be at least semi-popular in the Smash community recently, and she's been put back into relevancy since Smash 4. Personally, just give me a bunch of hair attacks and her bubblegum popgun, and I'll call it good. I consider Lucas, Toon Link, and Falco to be different enough from their base characters that they feel distinct, despite sharing a few moves.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Yeah, as despising of the idea as Dixie Kong likely being a semi-clone can be, I personally think that is the best case scenario. I have known the arguments regarding Dixie's uniqueness for a while since watching the Smash 4 DLC support thread of Dixie, but I still feel she will likely be a Wolf-like semi-clone at the least. Cross your fingers that Sakurai has time for semi-clones.

:drflip:

StormC

Smash Hero
I think Dixie comes down to a few things:

1. Arguably her best shot was Smash 4 DLC and she missed the boat there.

2. Sakurai might consider her low priority if he doesn't want her to be anything but a semiclone.

3. TF port might not have been on Sakurai's radar if development started in 2016.

Worth noting that Sakurai said that he was able to make Wolf in 70% of the time it took to make a new character because of reusing Fox's assets and animations. Best case scenario I can see for Dixie is she's an unlockable thrown in like Wolf was.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I think Dixie comes down to a few things:

1. Arguably her best shot was Smash 4 DLC and she missed the boat there.

2. Sakurai might consider her low priority if he doesn't want her to be anything but a semiclone.

3. TF port might not have been on Sakurai's radar if development started in 2016.

Worth noting that Sakurai said that he was able to make Wolf in 70% of the time it took to make a new character because of reusing Fox's assets and animations. Best case scenario I can see for Dixie is she's an unlockable thrown in like Wolf was.
TF port is definitely on Sakurai's radar for character consideration when he eventually and inevitably will reach the "bonus dessert" phase, he will probably know of the port as early as the beginning of 2018 and consider Dixie from there.

StormC

Smash Hero
TF port is definitely on Sakurai's radar for character consideration when he eventually and inevitably will reach the "bonus dessert" phase, he will probably know of the port as early as the beginning of 2018 and consider Dixie from there.
I agree with that. But then we're back in the same issue as Smash 4 DLC, where Dixie had pretty much everything going for her pre-ballot and still didn't get added.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I agree with that. But then we're back in the same issue as Smash 4 DLC, where Dixie had pretty much everything going for her pre-ballot and still didn't get added.
I like to think that clones were never considered, instead it focused on bringing back popular veterans (Mewtwo), getting some icons (Cloud), promoting new games (Corrin), and answering people's prayers with the ballot (Bayonetta). Considering how long the development for DLC was, I would imagine that the time spent would not work well for last-minute clones, especially when the team for Smash 4 DLC was far smaller than Smash 4's base game.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Gotta add a few extra Fire Emblem reps instead.

Reila

Semi-close is fine by me, as long as she has the guitar somewhere in her moveset. That said, the animal buddies moveset idea is really interesting. If only Sakurai liked Donkey Kong more.

Spatman

Smash Ace
I can't tolerate the animal buddies moveset idea, to be honest.
It would literally mean: Dixie isn't a good character herself, she can't bring anything original and valuable, so we use her as a mere container of DKC's elements.

Instead she could bring such things of her own. She would, of course, have the same diddy's body so it could be possible and likely she would have similar movement stats and physics and animations, but it's not stuck in the stone, not all these things must to be very similar, and still there is place for many different moves and attacks from diddy's ones

Morbi

Scavenger
I can't tolerate the animal buddies moveset idea, to be honest.
It would literally mean: Dixie isn't a good character herself, she can't bring anything original and valuable, so we use her as a mere container of DKC's elements.

Instead she could bring such things of her own. She would, of course, have the same diddy's body so it could be possible and likely she would have similar movement stats and physics and animations, but it's not stuck in the stone, not all these things must to be very similar, and still there is place for many different moves and attacks from diddy's ones
I honestly agree and I have never really been an adamant supporter of her... At all.

StormC

Smash Hero
I see Dixie having a completely different up B with some hair attacks/grabs and a bubblegum gun that shoots bouncing projectiles, as well as a unique Final Smash. Everything else would probably be from Diddy.

Last edited:

Reila

I see the animal buddies moveset as a tribute to the game Dixie made her debut. To each her own, of course.

Reila

I see Dixie having a completely different up B with some hair attacks/grabs and a bubblegum gun that shoots bouncing projectiles, as well as a unique Final Smash. Everything else would probably be from Diddy.
There is no reason why she couldn't have barrels instead of a banana for down B and something else for side B, such as an animal buddy (I mean ONE, like maybe a "Rambi Rush" of sorts), some grab attack (her hair is perfect to make her a semi-grappler of sorts), something with the guitar, or even, again a barrel-related move (down B = she summons a barrel to throw at the opponent, side B = she hops on a barrel like it is possible to do in DKC3, her own game). The possibilities are various if one stops trying to make her an almost identical clone of Diddy.

I can dig Dixie having a bunch of similar smash attacks, tilts and stuff, but there is no reason for her to have the same specials.

By the way, speaking of her own game, if she came with a stage, which is unlikely and it would probably be from Tropical Freeze instead of her own game... But in case it came from her own game, I would like it to be based on the KAOS fight arena. Why? Well, KAOS is awesome and because KONGS ARE ENEMY... You must be... DESTROYED!!!!! Kaos is played as the villain of the game for most of it, I think it would be cool. It would also give us a DKC stage that isn't based in a freaking forest.

https://youtu.be/d4bWQ17d328?t=3m50s

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Guitar would be weird as anything other than a taunt/victory animation IMO. She doesn’t actually do anything with it in the games...while Diddy does use it as an attack in DK64 but it’s missing in Smash.

Reila

By the way, speaking of her own game, if she came with a stage, which is unlikely and it would probably be from Tropical Freeze instead of her own game... But in the case it came from her own game, as it should, I would like it to be based on the KAOS fight arena. Why? Well, KAOS is awesome and because KONGS ARE ENEMY... You must be... DESTROYED!!!!! Kaos is played as the villain of the game for most of it, anyways, so I think it would be cool. It would also give us a DKC stage that isn't based in a freaking forest.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Ok, I've updated the Support List and added StormC StormC , P PF9 , Morbi Morbi , Marcello691 Marcello691 , Brother AJ Brother AJ , and G-Guy G-Guy ! Now that we're at 175, 200 seems like a close goal. Sorry for the delay in updates BTW; I usually stop by this site on the weekends but I wound up replying to Rate Their Chances. I also would like to extend a huge welcome to Con0rrrr Con0rrrr and @Tord the Red Leader as well! I added y'all a couple days back but didn't get to make it known.

I’m playing Tropical Freeze for the first time, and it’s freaking kicking my ***! It was great to finally see Dixie in a starring role again though. You can definitely count me as a supporter! DK needs more reps. I support K Rool and Cranky as well, but I honestly don’t know what to expect at this point. I’m hoping we get at least one?
Welcome aboard! Yea, TF is an ***-whooping and beating it is satisfying, but in regards to Smash I honestly don't know what Sakurai's got planned for this series. I know he's aware of the outcries but I'm not sure how he'll go about solving the problem.

I think Dixie Kong has a stronger chance than before because Tropical Freeze, which released pretty close to Smash 4 in retrospect, is receiving that rerelease, showing that the character is being thought of.

:171:
This definitely holds weight. As much as DK was the star of the game, Dixie was the favorite character of many if not most. With DKCTF reaching a larger audience there'll be a lot of people flocking to Dixie's gameplay options, even with Funky taking the spotlight.

BirthNote BirthNote Wow, that's amazing? You should work at Retro studios!
But as much as I would love another DKC from Retro, I think that wouldn't be a good idea. Tropical Freeze is a masterpiece and it deserves a 90% at least but it only has 83 on metacritic which is a shame. Most people thought it was a waste of retro's talent and many critics were biased because they expected Metroid. They only made 2 DK games which sold so much more than the whole Metroid prime series. So I hope the make a 3D Donkey Kong with many returning characters like the kremlins and the rest of the dk crew. Gameplaywise it should be a mix of breath of the wild and mario Odyssey but with new and fresh ideas. They should also push the switch hardware as the snes dk's and dk64 showcased the graphical capabilities of their consoles.
I really hope that we get at least one new DK character in smash switch this time. Dixie Kong and King K. Rool have to be in smash!

Btw sorry for my bad english:facepalm:
Hello, do you mean that fanmade DKC level list from a few pages back? If so, THANK YOU!! But as for Retro I honestly would love for them to make one more DKC; I loved TF and still play it from time, but I would love to see them improve it and make one final sequel that takes things a step further and brings in new twists. I really wanna know what they're working on now and TBH, and welcome to both the thread and the Barrel!

Dixie's up for voting in Rate Their Chances! Let's get in there.
Thanks for the heads up. I left my take on her over there, and reading most of everyone's ratings gave me hope as well. I'm not crazy about her being a clone, but different strokes lol.

I don't really care for Dixie Kong in Smash, I don't care for most of the Kongs. Dunno why, never really had much connection to the DK series

But I concede she is very likely, and I wish you all luck in your quest
I can respect that. Thanks.

sman3579

Smash Cadet
I'd be cool with Dixie being included, I just hope they wouldn't clone or semi-clone her.

Reila

I'd be cool with Dixie being included, I just hope they wouldn't clone or semi-clone her.
I would be surprised if she was added with a completely unique moveset. I think the possibilities are:

- A Lucas/Roy kind of clone. Similar but not exactly the same specials and smashes.
- A Lucina kind of clone. In short: Please no.
- Perhaps a new kind of semi-clone. Less cloney than Roy/Lucas, but not completely unique either.
- An assist trophy :011:

And of course, a completely unique moveset, which obviously would happen if the director respected the Donkey Kong Country series as it deserves.

Morbi

Scavenger
I would be surprised if she was added with a completely unique moveset. I think the possibilities are:

- A Lucas/Roy kind of clone. Similar but not exactly the same specials and smashes.
- A Lucina kind of clone. In short: Please no.
- Perhaps a new kind of semi-clone. Less cloney than Roy/Lucas, but not completely unique either.
- An assist trophy :011:

And of course, a completely unique moveset, which obviously would happen if the director respected the Donkey Kong Country series as it deserves.
In other words, Wolf, he shares less than he has of his own. Definitely not a semi-clone. Albeit, his similarities mostly have to do with his specials whereas Dixie would probably be the opposite (share some normals, have unique specials).

That being said, if he wanted to make her a clone, he probably would have, I imagine. Perhaps that is why she did not appear last time. Maybe he wanted to save her for the next game knowing it was about to enter development?

Reila

In other words, Wolf, he shares less than he has of his own. Definitely not a semi-clone. Albeit, his similarities mostly have to do with his specials whereas Dixie would probably be the opposite (share some normals, have unique specials).

That being said, if he wanted to make her a clone, he probably would have, I imagine. Perhaps that is why she did not appear last time. Maybe he wanted to save her for the next game knowing it was about to enter development?
We can only hope.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
sman3579 sman3579 Welcome to the Barrel! Have a nice cozy spot next to the other Support Buddies!

You see, THAT'S one of my hope spots with Dixie. Other than them making Bowser Jr play nothing like a Squirtle/Bowser/Mario clone like literally everyone expected, we got something that very, VERY few saw coming. I'm willing to want the same for Dixie, and going by all three of her trophy descriptions from Melee to Smash 4, there's always an emphasis on her hair and her uses for it. It seems like they have enough of a distinction from Diddy in mind for her. We know they had a tagteam mechanic planned for them, but do we know if they were going for an Ice Climbers dynamic or a more DKC-styled plan?

If it's the IC route then Dixie's a clone and she got axed for any reason we can think of. If they're paying tribute to DKC there'd be no reason for them to be the same without being pointless; they'd be leaning more in the Zelda/Sheik or Pokemon Trainer direction, AKA one slot with multiple movesets, but why would she end up cut? The Zeldas get priority for being a Vet to an extremely high profile series, so they've got nothing to worry about. The Trainer's in a similar but distinct boat: a newbie, but from a massively popular series with 2 of the most popular Pokemon under his command. He'd send more shockwaves than Dixie would due to DKC's circumstances at the time and Pokemon's status, plus the Trainer's bringing 3 movesets while the Kongs offer 2. The Trainer gets more priority, but likely takes up more development time to get him running, which is why it sometimes takes a while to swap out Pokemon and for the Zeldas to transform. Diddy AND Dixie would've added to that burden if they worked as intended, so Sakurai likely chose the more popular Kong and kept it moving.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I want them to go crazy with Dixie's hair. Maybe she can spring from it; maybe she can coil onto characters like a chain. Maybe she can create a whirlwind by spinning it really fast. There's so much potential. She should have a UNIQUE moveset. She has the potential. Show her some love, Sakurai.

K. Rool is my most wanted but Dixie is my second and I always dislike it when some people, including DK fans, use one or the other to bludgeon the other character. We should get BOTH. They are both icons from mega hit games that people played together with their families and friends and still remember to this day. I would have added Dixie in Brawl and Smash 4. Her appearances were major even if she didn't appear in DKCR, Jungle Beat, or 64. DKC series are classic games that are among the most famous in Nintendo's catalogue. So DKCTF being too new is a poor excuse in my opinion. DK series has kept getting hurt by this weird relevancy choke hold with relevancy defined in a particularly limited way. Maybe this time it can work in Dixie's favor but I think it's BS how it's kept her out.

Dixie could be so fun to play as. I really hope she's in. I want to play as the character I used the most in the DKC series. I hope they go for her Rare look. Nintendo's Dixie looks a little bit like she had her face squashed by a Thwomp.

Last edited:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
By the way, speaking of her own game, if she came with a stage, which is unlikely and it would probably be from Tropical Freeze instead of her own game... But in the case it came from her own game, as it should, I would like it to be based on the KAOS fight arena. Why? Well, KAOS is awesome and because KONGS ARE ENEMY... You must be... DESTROYED!!!!! Kaos is played as the villain of the game for most of it, anyways, so I think it would be cool. It would also give us a DKC stage that isn't based in a freaking forest.

I would love any stage from the Rare era that isn't a generic jungle pretending to be a DK stage. Honestly, if we get any DK stage from the Rare era, I think that basically confirms a new DK character. The DK stages we've got throughout the game's history up until now have been very uninspired and have few references to the series.

Though, I'd think a rare era DK stage would be more indicative of K. Rool, and a recent/Tropical Freeze stage would point to Dixie.

Not to start anything here, though. They really both deserve to be in now. There's not a lot of excuses left.

Top Bottom