• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Now that Tropical Freeze has been out for a couple of years and will be the focus game for DK representation, Dixie is a near certainty at this point. Its just sucks that I can't play the Kongs to save my life so I'm just waiting for Dixie's confirmation before I get on K. Rool train in earnest. Good luck guys!

ZRoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4868-5857
If King K. Rool is not in the new Smash (which is a long shot by number one wish), the only next logical step is adding Dixie Kong. She'd be perfect.

Cazzone

Smash Cadet
If King K. Rool is not in the new Smash (which is a long shot by number one wish), the only next logical step is adding Dixie Kong. She'd be perfect.
The only problem with Dixie being in smash is that King K. Rool exists and he’s more popular, so if they’re going to add a DK rep, it’s going to be him and not Dixie as I wish...

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
How's it going, everyone? I missed this thread. Thanks for keeping the original OP and expanding on it, BirthNote BirthNote ! It looks good.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think Dixie has a great shot at being revealed next.

This is of course because I think that she has had moveset ideas since Brawl, when she was going to be included with Diddy, and that the two would have to be about as similar as Lucas and Ness or they would not feel apart of the same world. Keep the vocabulary.

I say next, because I think they will try to make K Rool seem more unexpected, so that an E3 reveal is massive.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I think Dixie has a great shot at being revealed next.

This is of course because I think that she has had moveset ideas since Brawl, when she was going to be included with Diddy, and that the two would have to be about as similar as Lucas and Ness or they would not feel apart of the same world. Keep the vocabulary.

I say next, because I think they will try to make K Rool seem more unexpected, so that an E3 reveal is massive.
I like the comparison to Ness and Lucas. At first glance, they look identical, even sharing specials and a couple of normals; however, they are quite different in feel and are still distinct from each other. Even if Dixie would be made similar to Diddy, she would likely feel different enough to have her own identity, especially if they gave her disjoints and tether/command grabs with her hair.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I like the comparison to Ness and Lucas. At first glance, they look identical, even sharing specials and a couple of normals; however, they are quite different in feel and are still distinct from each other. Even if Dixie would be made similar to Diddy, she would likely feel different enough to have her own identity, especially if they gave her disjoints and tether/command grabs with her hair.
I'd be pretty disappointed f they did not give her disjoints and tethers with her hair.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Dixie is still my #1 most wanted Nintendo character for Smash.

But thanks to the ballot, I think K. Rool edges her chances down a little. I'd be happy with either (but I want both!)

ZRoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4868-5857
The only problem with Dixie being in smash is that King K. Rool exists and he’s more popular, so if they’re going to add a DK rep, it’s going to be him and not Dixie as I wish...
Really? I see it the other way around especially seeing as how Dixie Kong is in Tropical Freeze and King K. Rool hasn't been seen in ages. Isn't there something from keeping him from appearing? Like Rare still having the rights or something. Don't get me wrong though I would love to see King K. Rool in Smash.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I'll definitely be in support of Dixie since she's another female plus a Donkey Kong rep long overdue since Brawl. Arguably the third most recognisable in the franchise and can offer a unique moveset lest Midna also get in.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Ah, here it is. Been having a blast with Dixie on Tropical Freeze, so I want to throw my support behind one of the most iconic action girls in Nintendo's history.

I was genuinely shocked she didn't make it in Sm4sh, but even Diddy took one game longer than he should have!

Spatman

Smash Ace
oooh sh*t guys and gals, a gigaton of hype for Dixie is just passed through my veins! I really really hope it will be the right time

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
Dixie supporter here

I've been hoping for Dixie and King Rool since Smash 4 was announced, I thought at least one of them would get in. Can't believe Donkey Kong Country still has only 2 slots in the roster

If we are lucky Tropical Freeze, that is now coming to Switch too, will increase the chance of Dixie this time

Come on, Sakurai, give DK some love, give us Dixie

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
For anyone worried that K. Rool would mean no Dixie, multiple characters from the same series have made it in at once.

:mario64::luigi64:
:pikachu64::jigglypuff64:

:peachmelee::bowsermelee::drmario:
:zeldamelee::sheikmelee::ganondorfmelee::younglinkmelee:
:mewtwomelee::pichumelee:
:marthmelee::roymelee:

:metaknight::dedede:
:squirtle::ivysaur::charizard::lucario:

:rosalina::4bowserjr:
:4palutena::4darkpit:
:4robinm::4lucina::4corrin:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
If dixie is in the game, I'd totally attempt to main her!

I really think that we are going to get a Donkey Kong Country Character this time, and I think Dixie is the most likely, along with a Tropical Freeze stage.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I support. I think she is one of the most 'deserving' to get into Smash based on her history alone but also the fact that Donkey Kong should really have more representation. I'd be really interested in seeing what Sakurai could muster up here.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Add me to this too by the way. I'm putting all my muscle behind Takamaru, but I feel like DK fans more than deserve her and K. Rool. She's had way too many playable appearances and two of those within her own series are legit Hall of Fame level entries.

Phoebee

Smash Cadet
I definitely support both Dixie and K. Rool getting in!

Any moveset ideas y'all have floating around? I personally think some moves based on DKC's animal buddies would be neat.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
I was a Dixie supporter back in the Smash 4 speculation days and have become even more of one since playing DKC2 (great game by the way). The references to DKC stuff in New Donk City and the re-release of Tropical Freeze make me hopeful about her chances. I don't know if she's a lock, but I definitely think that if Sakurai and co. want to add a DK character, she makes a ton of sense.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Just wanted to show my support. Donkey Kong Country, the three original games, were a big part of my childhood. I am not confident on Dixie being playable in Smash 5, I just don't have the level of trust in the Smash developers after Smash 4, but one can hope.

Reila

For anyone worried that K. Rool would mean no Dixie, multiple characters from the same series have made it in at once.

Just wanted to say that the more characters there are, the less likely it is for them to introduce tons and tons of newcomers. That is, if they want this game to have any level of balance for competitive aspects. Nothing is impeding them from completely dropping the competitive aspect of Smash and adding 30 newcomers, of course. After all, the game was not designed originally as a competitive title.

So, hoping for two DK newcomers is not something I would partake in. It can happen, it is not impossible. Is it likely? I wonder. Not only what I say about, but Smash 4 shows Sakurai is more interested in adding characters from games he developed or just enjoys than actually sticking to the "Nintendo tribute" aspect of the Smash series. Expect more Fire Emblem and less Donkey Kong.

(Double post, a mod is free to merge both posts)

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
A quick specials moveset I've drafted (I believe it's pretty similar to what I came up with in the previous thread, but w/e):

Neutral: Bubblegum Popgun - Dixie fires a small, fast projectile that bounces a couple of times along the ground like in TF. It has similar versatility to Mario's fireball, but less damage. Decent for landing and for conditioning reflectors/shields.

Side: Chimp Cyclone - Command grab. Dixie spins horizontally while moving forward and grabs an opponent with her hair before throwing them forward. Goes into special fall on whiff. Great for edgeguarding, but risky.

Up: Helicopter Spin - Dixie spins her hair so fast that she soars upward with a windbox below her. She has a hitbox on her hair going up that can knock opponents away. She slows her spin after a second and transitions into her iconic spinning animation from DKC2-3 and slowly decends. She can cancel this animation into an aerial.

Down: Guitar Blast - Dixie strums her guitar, emitting a small shockwave around her that stuns opponents. Has a bit of startup and can be blocked, so it's best to use for dodge reads or after a grounded footstool.

I picture Dixie having a strong grab game on the ground, but average grounded mobility (She has around Rosalina's dash speed). She is floatier than Diddy with disjointed aerials and great aerial acceleration with good aerial speed. She feels a bit like Mewtwo in the air and has around Pikachu's weight. She also has two midair jumps to mix up her landing.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Nintendo adding Dixie and K. Rool, rounding the DK series to a 4 sounds perfect.

Dixie is definitely on my most wanted list along with K. Rool. Support!

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Still doesn't reasonate with me that she got left out last time. Everything aligned perfectly, and still nothing. She's still got a strong chance though, and I'm rooting for her. I think there will be at least one new DKC character in Smash 5.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Still doesn't reasonate with me that she got left out last time. Everything aligned perfectly, and still nothing. She's still got a strong chance though, and I'm rooting for her. I think there will be at least one new DKC character in Smash 5.
I think Tropical Freeze just came out a little too late. I know stuff like Fire Emblem has happened early before, but Retro Studios is a western company so Sakurai likely didn't have as close of an eye on all that to get the opportunity to add anyone from it.

I think the chances are much more in her favor this time after the critical reception of Tropical Freeze and the upcoming port.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Definitely possible, but it was in that sweet spot for DLC.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
I NEED Dixie in Smash Switch. She's my second most wanted character and one of my favorite DKC characters. She really deserves the spot and really should have it already. She's really underrated in regards to her status as a Nintendo All Star. She has a headlining game in the main series of her franchise. A game that sold over a million units on the Super Nintendo when the N64 was already out. She deserves it probably more than any first party (except for someone I'd say she's tied with, K. Rool). This may be an unpopular opinion but I think she should be a Luigi/Falco like semi clone of DK and Diddy combined. I feel that would be true to her character even more than an original moveset. Good Luck everyone I really hope she makes it.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Man, the Barrel has grown quite a bit in the last couple of days! We've gone from 151 to 161, and I'd like to thank as well as welcome Shy_Guy595, Tonydrake, Starcutter, majorasmaskfan, Ryan., bksbestbwoy, Phoebee, Astraltar, Lyndis_, and ZRoy!! I'm happy to see so many new people in such a short timeframe. A new Smash is an exciting time lol.

Oh and P PreedReve I noticed you liked the OP; do you want me to add you to the list?
Now that Tropical Freeze has been out for a couple of years and will be the focus game for DK representation, Dixie is a near certainty at this point. Its just sucks that I can't play the Kongs to save my life so I'm just waiting for Dixie's confirmation before I get on K. Rool train in earnest. Good luck guys!
I agree. In general, I feel that Nintendo's priming us for new DK content; with the New Donk City references, Mario + Rabbids DLC and now a Tropical Freeze port I wouldn't be surprised if something BIG is coming in regards to the series. I just hope one of those major things, besides a brand new game, is Dixie setting foot in Smash.

BTW, do you want me to add you to the support list? You seem pretty on board with Dixie but I wanna be sure. :)
Hey, Cazzone. You seem new here so I'd like to welcome you not only to this thread but also the forums! I get that you'd like to have Dixie and you're feeling uneasy about her, but I wouldn't worry personally; it's clear that the DK series needs more characters and I'm sure we'll get a newcomer FINALLY, but I recommend not letting the stature of one character overshadow the other. Ideally we get 2 characters, but even if we only get 1 we're finally getting a much needed slot for an underrepresented series. Obviously we're rooting for Dixie here, and it's fine to talk about her in relation to other possibilities, but let's not count her out.

Hopefully my point comes across peacefully. Feel free to discuss her chances, but let's all avoid any Dixie vs K. Rool moments that leads us to choose one over the other. Enjoy your time at Smashboards; would you like me to add you to the Support List?
How's it going, everyone? I missed this thread. Thanks for keeping the original OP and expanding on it, BirthNote BirthNote ! It looks good.
Seth! Welcome back!!!! Man it's been so long, and thanks for the kind words--the OG thread was good enough as is so I felt the only thing to do would be to just expand it. I also added your moveset to the OP. Thanks for contributing, I actually haven't had a new set to put in there for a long while. Speaking of which...
Any moveset ideas y'all have floating around? I personally think some moves based on DKC's animal buddies would be neat.
We definitely do! We've got 10 different movesets that show distinct possibilities for Dixie in the OP. Feel free to read/watch/view them, and if anyone writes her off as a Diddy Clone, feel free to direct them to this thread lol.
Just wanted to show my support. Donkey Kong Country, the three original games, were a big part of my childhood. I am not confident on Dixie being playable in Smash 5, I just don't have the level of trust in the Smash developers after Smash 4, but one can hope.
Hello, Reila! Thanks for stopping by, I wanna add you to the list but I wanna make sure you're not already there. You're not AltaisReila, right? Some users changed their names so I wanna make sure.

This right here gives me hope. It makes 2 DK characters seem like nothing to fuss over.

Cazzone

Smash Cadet
Hey, Cazzone. You seem new here so I'd like to welcome you not only to this thread but also the forums! I get that you'd like to have Dixie and you're feeling uneasy about her, but I wouldn't worry personally; it's clear that the DK series needs more characters and I'm sure we'll get a newcomer FINALLY, but I recommend not letting the stature of one character overshadow the other. Ideally we get 2 characters, but even if we only get 1 we're finally getting a much needed slot for an underrepresented series. Obviously we're rooting for Dixie here, and it's fine to talk about her in relation to other possibilities, but let's not count her out.

Hopefully my point comes across peacefully. Feel free to discuss her chances, but let's all avoid any Dixie vs K. Rool moments that leads us to choose one over the other. Enjoy your time at Smashboards; would you like me to add you to the Support List?
Aw, you’re so sweet!
Don’t get me wrong, if we are going to get Rool over Dixie I still would be happy, cause he’s unique and from an under represented franchise, but I also would be sad because Dixie is my number one pick for Smash 5, no denying it ahah!
I’m positive we’ll get both tho.

Of course you can add me on the supporter list ;)

Oh, sorry if my English isn’t good, I’m italian!

Reila

You can add me to the supporter list, of course. I am not on the list yet.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Ok you two are now Support Buddies! Welcome to the Barrel, Reila Reila and Cazzone Cazzone ! If y'all wanna add to the OP with things such as movesets, fanart, recolors or music tracks, feel free to do so. And don't worry Cazzone, your English is fine! I didn't notice anything wrong with it.

PF9

Smash Lord
Mario has Peach in Smash, I'd like for every male Mario series protagonist to have their GF in Smash - Birdo for Yoshi, Daisy for Luigi, and Dixie for Diddy (and maybe Candy for DK). Count me in.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I agree. In general, I feel that Nintendo's priming us for new DK content; with the New Donk City references, Mario + Rabbids DLC and now a Tropical Freeze port I wouldn't be surprised if something BIG is coming in regards to the series. I just hope one of those major things, besides a brand new game, is Dixie setting foot in Smash.

BTW, do you want me to add you to the support list? You seem pretty on board with Dixie but I wanna be sure. :)
Yeah, you can add me. I like the King more but I'm a DK fan first and foremost.

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
BirthNote BirthNote Sure, add me to the support list. ;D

To contribute to the thread, back when the ballot was open, I had a thought about how Dixie could play: She could be partnered up with Kiddy Kong as a pseudo-Ice Climbers. She would be the main body but Kiddy Kong would be used for the smashes, one-or-two of the specials, and maybe some of the grabs. I thought it would be an interesting way to incorporate Donkey Kong Country's gameplay, where you have two Kongs pair up. The Dixie-Kiddy paring is from Donkey Kong Country 3, the game where Dixie was the big bannana out of the two.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
You know what? I'll throw my name down for supporting Dixie Kong. Both K. Rool and Dixie would make wonderful additions to the cast of Smash Bros. though sadly my feelings on K. Rool aren't the same as they were before. Either we get one or both of them, I think it's about time Donkey Kong got a bit more love this Smash Bros.

So put me in the barrel, if you don't mind.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This right here gives me hope. It makes 2 DK characters seem like nothing to fuss over.
As it should. Donkey Kong is one of the most recognizable video games of any company- it receiving two characters in this game is not even as odd as Fire Emblem getting four in the last game.

Top Bottom