• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Personally I'd always think that a Mario & Luigi styled RPG would work extremely well with the DKC cast.

DK could more or less function as the 'Bowser'. With similar abilities like punching and being big and heavy. It'd be possible for smaller Kongs to ride his back, much like in the Returns games. It'd give them a boost in endurance but a loss in speed and a los of certain special skills. Diddy and Dixie can team up like Mario and Luigi do, that's pretty much perfect with them. Spin Bros. for example works perfectly with Diddy and Dixie.

So DK could; Punch, Jump, Hand Slap / Clap variations (DKC and Jungle Beat respectively), Roll, and just in general be a beast in HP, Strenght and Defense.

Diddy: Jump, Cartwheel, Popguns and of course the famous Rocket Barrel. Main stats be excellent in ; Speed, 'Luck' (Stache in M&L), average Strenght, with low Defense and HP. Good MP though or whatever is used for special attacks.

Dixie.. I have no idea yet, pretty similar o Diddy but with less Speed and better Defense or something.

I'd instantly buy it honestly

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Dixie.. I have no idea yet, pretty simi--
YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE THEN!

Dixie: Jump, Hover, Spinning, Sticky Gum Wads, Guitar-based soundwaves and of course grappling moves that let her grab/throw some enemies and her kong friends as well. Pairs up with DK to spin even more than either can on their own making a giant tornado; pairs up with Diddy to act as his defensive barrier. As she sits on his shoulders, Dixie swats away attacks meant for him with her hair, while Diddy on her shoulders shoots down any unfriendly things headed for her. Can launch DK at foes like a catapult swinging a boulder. Slightly higher Defense than Diddy, less Speed but more HP.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE THEN!

Dixie: Jump, Hover, Spinning, Sticky Gum Wads, Guitar-based soundwaves and of course grappling moves that let her grab/throw some enemies and her kong friends as well. Pairs up with DK to spin even more than either can on their own making a giant tornado; pairs up with Diddy to act as his defensive barrier. As she sits on his shoulders, Dixie swats away attacks meant for him with her hair, while Diddy on her shoulders shoots down any unfriendly things headed for her. Can launch DK at foes like a catapult swinging a boulder. Slightly higher Defense than Diddy, less Speed but more HP.
Astonished here! Then again it's the Dixie thread. Shouldn't expect less! I especially like the tornado idea! Thinking of a combination of Smash's grounded Up B and Dixie's Helicopter Spin. Could even resemble the overpowered Kong Cyclone :laugh:

Hover is also a good idea, giving her defensive options! She could heal or use items in the meanwhile, making her automatically assume a sort of 'cleric' role.

As for Diddy that's gotta be my part.

With the Barrel Jet he'd be able to reach very high places in a fast way. There'd be some Bonus Levels that he alone could reach, just like other Kongs would have their own Bonus Level. It would in this game replace the Rocket Barrels. In battle the Rocket Barrel is a very high risk high reward attack, with potential of seriously damaging Diddy in the process. With the right timing, Diddy can crash into enemies causing an explosion (very risky), or assault them with a physical attack, or simply shoot airborne enemies that other projectiles might not hit.

With Cartwheel Diddy could dash through lines of enemies, doing about the damage of a single jump (am gonna assume the Kongs would be able to multi bounce like in M&L and heavier enemies in Returns). On higher level you'll unlock Dash Cartwheel, a charged Cartwheel attack. Always had this idea as a Side B attack for Diddy in Smash. It only hits grounded enemies however.

Popguns are the projectile weapons, Diddy and Dixie's need to be somewhat different I feel. So Dixie's should be about slowing down, and Diddy's could maybe break defenses. Or stun.

Team Attacks with Dixie would invoke launching her at enemies, and with DK it would be a charge up attack. Imagine Diddy's Smash Up B, while holding DK who's charging up Giant Punch. Basically the paired ending of DKC Returns. Double jumping would also be thing for DK + Diddy. Diddy + Dixie could be a Helicopter Peanut Popgun spinning attack. I feel a duo grappling attack is also needed between Diddy and Dixie. Initiated by Diddy.

Diddy ;he'd be the offensive guy, comparing to Mario & Luigi's cast, he'd be a way faster, slightly weaker and less durable version of Mario, oh and his team attacks are just about the strongest offensively, and has high risk high reward factor. Very skill based character, like in the original DKCs.

DK would be an all around strong tank character. With very well distributed stats with some risk of being outsped at times. His downfall would be that his strongest attacks involve some sort of charging up. Very comparable to Bowser in M&L, yet a more leading character and far more team based. The strong dependable sturdy guy, but in big fights he's bound to take a lot of damage as the lead character.

Dixie would be a less tanky Luigi. Far faster to, in between DK and Diddy in speed. So about Mario's speed.

Feel like Diddy could use some defensive abilities and barrels need to fit in somehow. So maybe all Kongs could have a set of barrels they could use in battle, or in certain areas only. If not he could get a shield based on the steel kegs, cause of the way he holds barrels in DKC. Barrel based weapons seem like a fun idea in general. You could imagine Barrel Hammers, TNT Barrel Bazookas, Steel Keg Gloves (imagine DK with Steel Kegs on his arms as he simply punched holes in them and uses them as a weapon) / Shields, or just about anything.

Animal Buddies should also obviously make it in. Maybe as summoning attacks in certain stages or levels or boss battles. Or do parts where you play as the Animal Buddy alone.

With this alone as concept you could make any sort of RPG really, doesn't even need to be based on M&L. Could be as similar as Super Mario and DKC in general, as in obviously the same genre but still unique.

I wish this had any sort of chance of ever happening.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Astonished here! Then again it's the Dixie thread. Shouldn't expect less! I especially like the tornado idea! Thinking of a combination of Smash's grounded Up B and Dixie's Helicopter Spin. Could even resemble the overpowered Kong Cyclone :laugh:

Hover is also a good idea, giving her defensive options! She could heal or use items in the meanwhile, making her automatically assume a sort of 'cleric' role.

As for Diddy that's gotta be my part.

With the Barrel Jet he'd be able to reach very high places in a fast way. There'd be some Bonus Levels that he alone could reach, just like other Kongs would have their own Bonus Level. It would in this game replace the Rocket Barrels. In battle the Rocket Barrel is a very high risk high reward attack, with potential of seriously damaging Diddy in the process. With the right timing, Diddy can crash into enemies causing an explosion (very risky), or assault them with a physical attack, or simply shoot airborne enemies that other projectiles might not hit.

With Cartwheel Diddy could dash through lines of enemies, doing about the damage of a single jump (am gonna assume the Kongs would be able to multi bounce like in M&L and heavier enemies in Returns). On higher level you'll unlock Dash Cartwheel, a charged Cartwheel attack. Always had this idea as a Side B attack for Diddy in Smash. It only hits grounded enemies however.

Popguns are the projectile weapons, Diddy and Dixie's need to be somewhat different I feel. So Dixie's should be about slowing down, and Diddy's could maybe break defenses. Or stun.

Team Attacks with Dixie would invoke launching her at enemies, and with DK it would be a charge up attack. Imagine Diddy's Smash Up B, while holding DK who's charging up Giant Punch. Basically the paired ending of DKC Returns. Double jumping would also be thing for DK + Diddy. Diddy + Dixie could be a Helicopter Peanut Popgun spinning attack. I feel a duo grappling attack is also needed between Diddy and Dixie. Initiated by Diddy.

Diddy ;he'd be the offensive guy, comparing to Mario & Luigi's cast, he'd be a way faster, slightly weaker and less durable version of Mario, oh and his team attacks are just about the strongest offensively, and has high risk high reward factor. Very skill based character, like in the original DKCs.

DK would be an all around strong tank character. With very well distributed stats with some risk of being outsped at times. His downfall would be that his strongest attacks involve some sort of charging up. Very comparable to Bowser in M&L, yet a more leading character and far more team based. The strong dependable sturdy guy, but in big fights he's bound to take a lot of damage as the lead character.

Dixie would be a less tanky Luigi. Far faster to, in between DK and Diddy in speed. So about Mario's speed.

Feel like Diddy could use some defensive abilities and barrels need to fit in somehow. So maybe all Kongs could have a set of barrels they could use in battle, or in certain areas only. If not he could get a shield based on the steel kegs, cause of the way he holds barrels in DKC. Barrel based weapons seem like a fun idea in general. You could imagine Barrel Hammers, TNT Barrel Bazookas, Steel Keg Gloves (imagine DK with Steel Kegs on his arms as he simply punched holes in them and uses them as a weapon) / Shields, or just about anything.

Animal Buddies should also obviously make it in. Maybe as summoning attacks in certain stages or levels or boss battles. Or do parts where you play as the Animal Buddy alone.

With this alone as concept you could make any sort of RPG really, doesn't even need to be based on M&L. Could be as similar as Super Mario and DKC in general, as in obviously the same genre but still unique.

I wish this had any sort of chance of ever happening.
THIS is dope. Having Diddy as the fast, high-risk/reward character fits him like a glove. And DK with Steel Kegs as improvised weapons is pretty damn bad***. Ooooh...imagine a super barrel, where DK, Diddy and Dixie each put coconuts, peanuts, gumballs and bananas into it and have it fire a stream of those at enemies as like an ultimate 3-kong attack. Kinda like Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard's Final Smash in Brawl.

With Animal Buddies, perhaps they could have Squawks to bring in items randomly as a summon, Rambi will no doubt trample enemies and just blast through enemy lines like a highspeed truck; Rattly I can see him landing a ton of jumps on enemies since he's so springy, and...maybe Glimmer can blind foes with its Esca. The anglerfish's light makes foes more likely to miss their attacks for a short duration.

Y'know what..I wonder how they'd handle other Kong characters in this hypothetical game. Maybe throw in Lanky, Chunky, Tiny, and Cranky but only as Guest Party members for certain parts of certain quests, usually one Guest per Special Quest, so that it's enough for us to get used to them, but still miss them when it's time for them to move on from the general plot. Speaking of which, I wonder what the story would be.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
For a story? It could be ideal of having K.Rool finding some super secret ancient Kremling power that he turns them into giant dinosaurs or something? I always liked such an idea. Dragon / dinosaur fused Kremlings is a refreshing concept and it keeps a sort of conflict between animal species as the first DKC.

Imagine a sort of dragon / T-Rex mix of King K.Rool, a sort of Giga Bowser, but using K.Rool. That's a fitting final boss at least.

I like the super barrel idea! I also think bananas should serve as power ups and healing items. Maybe using the peels as weapons to. What about a team attack using a giant banana as a sort of boomerang? No reason not to make it a little comical.

About the other Kongs, yes an RPG is a ideal way of bringing them back. Yet I do think the core should be DK / Diddy and Dixie. Or just do it in certain parts or have side stories that makes you unlock them.

I could see Lanky as the super random dude with handstand as a stanche changer. Making him more agile, but in compensation of another stat. I like the idea of him being a little tanky, yet strong but not fast. Slower than DK, but very fast in handstand. His long arms could hit multiple enemies. Very high luck.

Chunky? Super heavy weight, basically a stronger, slower DK. Somewhat less HP and defense however. Terrible luck. Can turn giant and invisible. Not much of a team player, only has team moves with Kiddy and Tiny. Doesn't double jump either. Can lift enemies up and throw them potentially? Could he be strong enough to launch Rambi at enemies? :laugh:

Tiny is a jack of all trades. Simply cause that's absent as a role yet... Can also turn tiny to avoid enemies better. But at the cost of some HP, and she's not able to dish out a lot of damage as tiny Tiny either.

Cranky is a super secret unlockable. Using potions to power up the others and throw at enemies for random effects, ideal team player, can jump on enemies others cannot. Low HP, nice strength and speed, a more balanced version of Diddy who's less offensive and more a team player. Has super overpowered Team Attacks with Donkey Kong. Can call up Animal Buddies during a fight. One of his potions used on himself makes him young for a couple of turns, all Kongs astonished at first (eye popping out animation), and he basically becomes Super Kong.

Funky could also join. And he'd be a mechanical fighter, using his tools, plane, and weapons like orange grenades during battle. Also somewhat high risk high reward. Has many multi hit attacks.

And Kiddy, how could I forget!? There should be a side story of Kiddy going on his own adventure, and getting crazy level up gains. A mix of DK and Chunky's styles. Can use his water skip as an attack on enemies hitting everything on field. Has his personal Animal Buddy as Ellie the elephant.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dammit WHY ISN'T THIS A REAL THING NINTENDO!? With the charm of the Mario RPGs this could be awesome.
Honestly I've been waiting for this since the first Mario & Luigi.

I can literally just imagine this game in my head, and even 'play' it... Imagining it with graphics somewhat similar to DK Jungle Climber , but more polished (it was a great looking game though!).

RPG as a genre is especially cool for Donkey Kong cause of the awesome lore of characters. A platformer couldn't really make use all of the characters. Even Rare themselves couldn't do that
How about Donkey Kong Warriors?! :awesome:
I want this very badly too! I'd accept DK and Diddy in a Mario Warriors game to howeve, as that's more likely to happen... unfortunately.

I still have hope for our series because of Mario Oddyseys street names. Still think that isn't discussed a lot.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Got some new stuff today: Did You Know Gaming just released a vid for Brawl, and of course our girl Dixie was mentioned as a cut fighter. There's a lot of info a Smash enthusiast will have already known but I figure why not share it anyway.

Also, I found some recolors of Smashified's art for Dixie from a user on DeviantART named skydraofthegoddesses, and I'll be adding it to the OP:

Not bad if I do say so myself. I'm feeling the green color and the yellow; if she were in those would be my picks when playing as her, with occasionally Wrinkly Kong's ghostly color up top.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Got some new stuff today: Did You Know Gaming just released a vid for Brawl, and of course our girl Dixie was mentioned as a cut fighter. There's a lot of info a Smash enthusiast will have already known but I figure why not share it anyway.

Also, I found some recolors of Smashified's art for Dixie from a user on DeviantART named skydraofthegoddesses, and I'll be adding it to the OP:

Not bad if I do say so myself. I'm feeling the green color and the yellow; if she were in those would be my picks when playing as her, with occasionally Wrinkly Kong's ghostly color up top.
All of these are really good, and this is actually the first time I've ever seen someone make a Wrinkly color for one of the Kongs. I guess it's one of those obvious choices that makes sense when you see it, but otherwise slips past you. That might just me though, I'd always considered her actual color alts and references to Tiny and Kiddy.

I'd love to see a Donkey Kong RPG too, especially after seeing the ideas posted here.

Those are all really nice. Yellow alt is my personal favourite.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I'd love to see a Donkey Kong RPG too, especially after seeing the ideas posted here.
I don't even like RPGs very much, and I've still had a great time reading the ideas here. I can very easily imagine such a game from them, and that speaks volumes as to how well-realised the ideas are.

Well done, guys. :4dk: :4diddy:

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
All of these are really good, and this is actually the first time I've ever seen someone make a Wrinkly color for one of the Kongs. I guess it's one of those obvious choices that makes sense when you see it, but otherwise slips past you. That might just me though, I'd always considered her actual color alts and references to Tiny and Kiddy.
TBH I never thought about a Wrinkly alt before either, but after seeing it I wish Diddy had an alt of Cranky's color scheme to compliment this one. I see 2 of them also have some highlights on Dixie's bangs and ponytail; that's a cool little detail that I never thought about either actually until now.

Those are all really nice. Yellow alt is my personal favourite.
Yea! It goes great with DK and Diddy's Black & Yellow alts as well.

P.Kay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
plenty.kay
3DS FC
3153-8243-0352

Aaah, that's really cool. Thanks for finding them! I like the grey one the most. :diddy:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
E3 has come and is still going! We didn't get any Donkey Kong games revealed, but we did get a couple cameos with the Roided out Rabbid Kong, and another fresh look at New Donk City. In the Mario Odyssey trailer, we not only got to see that area but we also heard the voice and saw one of the oldest Donkey Kong characters, besides DK and Mario themselves, in the franchise's history: Pauline. There's plenty of videos focusing on the city, and GameXplain just uploaded one that's...somewhat related to Pauline:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHQrwoKUISU

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
but we also heard the voice and saw one of the oldest Donkey Kong characters, besides DK and Mario themselves, in the franchise's history: Pauline.
I really like the fact that she's the singer of the game's theme-song, and the mayor of New Donk City. They refused to give away any more than that during yesterday's coverage, though. :laugh:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I really like the fact that she's the singer of the game's theme-song, and the mayor of New Donk City. They refused to give away any more than that during yesterday's coverage, though. :laugh:
Mario Odyssey story: Pauline secretly works with Bowser to get back with Mario.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Ugh I know right!? Being cryptic about seeing DK had me going 'Come on! y'know he's in the game just let us see him!' But, I gotta be patient; that reminds me though, since Mario can use his hat to possess people, what if he does that to DK? The hero kong with a cap and 'stache would be funny.

I gotta avoid any more preview vids now, cuz I don't want my expectations to get the best of me. XD

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Pauline?! In a Mario game?! As the mayor of New Donk City?! AND the singer of the whole game's theme song?!?! AAAAHH!!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Welcome aboard the Barrel, MainJPW MainJPW and Pacack Pacack , you two have helped us reach 140 supporters and one step closer to 150 respectively. Here's hoping Dixie makes it in.

Quick question Pacack, Why is a raven like a writing desk?

If Retro is working in a new DKC..I wonder if its 2D or 3D.
Yea, this is interesting cuz it turns out Metroid Prime 4 is being made by a brand new studio, so that means Retro is still working on an unknown project. I really hope it is a new DKC; I like the way they're slowly putting 3D elements in the gameplay like the Barrel Segments, Mine Cart Rides and Rocket Barrel Sequences. It would be logical to expand on that for the next game, and at the very least I think it'll be 2.5D by switching between perspectives depending on the level.

splat

Smash Lord
Could you add me to the list as well? Here's two versions of a stock icon to thank you.

Yea, this is interesting cuz it turns out Metroid Prime 4 is being made by a brand new studio, so that means Retro is still working on an unknown project. I really hope it is a new DKC; I like the way they're slowly putting 3D elements in the gameplay like the Barrel Segments, Mine Cart Rides and Rocket Barrel Sequences. It would be logical to expand on that for the next game, and at the very least I think it'll be 2.5D by switching between perspectives depending on the level.
The return of Parry?

Replaying through Tropical Freeze again really made me think what I'd want to see in a theoretical next game. On one hand, I think the current DK cast is fine, on the other side I'd really love to see Wrinkly (would could phase through hazards by pressing A) or even King K. Rool as a surprise ally.
I'd feel like aliens would be an interesting enemy after the Tikis and the Snowmads - and a space theme could work pretty good too: bananas are somewhat crescent-shaped and peeling a banana into five peels kind of makes it look like a star. Also, thematically space kind of fits your 2.5D-idea.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I'd feel like aliens would be an interesting enemy after the Tikis and the Snowmads - and a space theme could work pretty good too: bananas are somewhat crescent-shaped and peeling a banana into five peels kind of makes it look like a star. Also, thematically space kind of fits your 2.5D-idea.
There's also the fact that apes were amongst the first animals ever sent into space, so there's another good thematic fit right there. ;)

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Could you add me to the list as well? Here's two versions of a stock icon to thank you.

The return of Parry?

Replaying through Tropical Freeze again really made me think what I'd want to see in a theoretical next game. On one hand, I think the current DK cast is fine, on the other side I'd really love to see Wrinkly (would could phase through hazards by pressing A) or even King K. Rool as a surprise ally.
Thanks for the icons, and welcome! I left a link to your thread in my Closing Word statement, and I wouldn't mind Wrinkly or K. Rool being guest characters. If Retro strictly had 4 playable characters in every DKC, but swapped out the 4th person each game for a new partner I'd be fine with that, as I feel after a while Retro would have to limit the amount of playable characters for the games. I can see them getting away with 5 as a reference to DK64, and 6 would be pushing it, but anything more would be too much for a platformer.

I have to admit though Wrinkly would be fun to use with her ghost powers and stuff. On DK's back she can make both him and herself intangible briefly so they can bypass obstacles, like you said or walk through walls to get to secrets that Diddy and Dixie can't get past. It may be hard to "kill" her cuz she's obviously dead already but I'm sure Retro can come up with something that lets them make Wrinkly vulnerable to enemies. Maybe the aliens have some sort of power that hurts spirits as well as mortals? I like the alien idea especially, as sci-fi tends to be my favorite genre and it lets your imagination run wild.

K. Rool as a guest protagonist would shock me but I wouldn't rule him out. I doubt he'd be riding on DK's back though--we'd probably get the opposite or him opening the door for 4-player co-op that lets 1 player ride on his back and the remaining rides on DK's, but knowing K. Rool I'm not too sure he'd want any Kong on his shoulders LOL. His jumping could be incredible though, and maybe he'd throw his crown a short range as his answer to Diddy and Dixie's hover/double jump, respectively.

There's also the fact that apes were amongst the first animals ever sent into space, so there's another good thematic fit right there. ;)
Yeah this would work really well. Have you seen in Tropical Freeze's concept art a picture of DK in a scrapped moon world level? That just adds to the space theme as well, and it says they've at least thought about an extraterrestrial setting, so a whole game based on that would be fantastic for me. Plus I'd love to hear more sci-fi themes from David Wise. :D

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Hi, I'm from Germany and love this Thread. I wanted Dixie Kong for Brawl and when she didn't make it to the Game I thought that she would going to be in smash 4. But it seems that Sakurai does not like the DK series because of the lack of content from the dk series in smash. I really hope that Dixie is going to be a a playable character in the switch version!! Please sakurai!!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nah wouldn't want it to be based on such cruel acts. However, DK was already in space for a few levels in Jungle Beat. So it shows that it works, even though Jungle Beat itself didn't work well.

Sci-fi would work as a setting for DKC, but am not sure if I want it expanded more than just one world or something. Don't make it the main theme please. I just can't imagine DKC without amazing envoirmentals, and I think the space theme would dumb that down somewhat. I mean, there's some stuff you can do with space, but how long to keep it interessting? There's outerspace, meteor belts, potential other planets? But I just want the lush scenery where am thinking am actually in a rainforest, or savanna, or underwater corals, ancient temples, pirate ships.

Think you guys, and just about ANYONE should give DK Jungle Climber a chance. It covered a lot of these elements, like different dimensions, and eventually going to Planet Plantaen, which offers unique scenery. Gameplay is also cool and refreshing and it was the last time Kremlings, K.Rool and other typical DKC enemies appear. Till this day am still surprised how this game is so unloved.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Nah wouldn't want it to be based on such cruel acts.
Cruel though it was, it's a fact that it happened, and it's pretty much the only reason that sci-fi is in any way associated with apes - without it, it's just a matter of putting things in space "just because". :p

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Marcello691 Marcello691 is the newest member of the Barrel! Welcome to the thread, I added you a few days back but I didn't announce it til now because of this long post I was gonna make.

Sci-fi would work as a setting for DKC, but am not sure if I want it expanded more than just one world or something. Don't make it the main theme please. I just can't imagine DKC without amazing envoirmentals, and I think the space theme would dumb that down somewhat. I mean, there's some stuff you can do with space, but how long to keep it interesting? There's outerspace, meteor belts, potential other planets? But I just want the lush scenery where am thinking am actually in a rainforest, or savanna, or underwater corals, ancient temples, pirate ships.
No offense, but I disagree about the environments. With space itself you have massive varieties to go with; there's the typical stuff like asteroid fields, planets on the horizon, the emptiness of the void, and the really hot star or really cold ice ball, but there's also stuff in space that just blows our minds and understanding of reality. Besides black holes, you get crazy stuff like:

Supernovas; basically a star dying in a bright explosion so enormous that it can be seen from other solar systems. Imagine a sequence where you're escaping the radius of a dying star and trying to platform your way to some spacecraft. The layout can be some industrial spaceport, a deserted asteroid the size of a city or some alien world with a view of the night sky. As you do escape, the star in its death throes is sending out explosive pulses that shockwave through the level in multiple waves, and everyone--enemies, NPCs and the Kongs are trying to escape. Duck under certain structures, hide behind others and try to maneuver around the increasingly hot environment; If you're too slow the star itself explodes and you die no matter what. Think of Returns's Tidal Terror but a lot more dynamic. Or make it a chase level. Either way, imagine how the environment would be reacting to what's essentially a bittersweet doomsday: oddly beautiful but horrific.

Nebulae; they're pretty much massive clouds of dust in space but they're so common that they come in so many shapes, sizes and colors. Retro could look at actual nebulae or even come up with their own creative designs. With this I can picture some foggy levels, portions where you see the nebula from a distance but at times you must traverse through it; creating silhouette levels and the chance to have some mystery as we don't know what could be hiding in there. Some portions of the cloud could come together and form permanent rock platforms that you can safely walk on, others temporarily making weird shaped platforms that disperse in a pattern, and some begin condensing to form pockets of heat that'd basically be stars, but DK-sized for the sake of gameplay.

And that's just a little bit from space itself. When you get to the idea of alien planets we start seeing how friendly Earth is. They've found planets that seem like they came from some sci-fi novel and traversing some in a platformer would be interesting to say the least. You've got the gas giants like Jupiter, the dead planets like Mars or the smelly infernos of Venus, but then there's the stuff that shouldn't make sense for reality, but it's there. There's a planet that may be made of diamond--imagine a science fantasy mining level in that setting; a planet that's currently known as the darkest in our universe--picture another silhouette level on a world blacker than coal. Or a planet that rains MOLTEN GLASS SIDEWAYS due to the high winds and extreme temperature, despite being a sapphire-colored world--the gameplay ideas write themselves with this one. The amount of crazy, mindblowing planets in real life is so freaking large that they can fuel so much imaginative concepts, and that's if they try to keep it realistic. Throw in the cartoony flavor of the new DKCs and people will swear there's no way what Retro comes up with was based on reality, but the joke will be on them, because the reality was pretty surreal to begin with. There's even a moon in our solar system with a thick ice surface but an alien ocean beneath it. Imagine what those coral reefs look like..

Now that brings me onto sci-fi concepts in general. They could have elements that's based on technology that we have yet to build. Again, there's the standard space ships, stations and satellites, but if we're involving aliens that gives us the excuse to show stuff that we're still hoping to build. Stuff like:

Space Elevators: Essentially a giant tower that connects the planet to a space station, and allows travel with an elevator. Picture a vertical level where you're trying to get to the top, riding a couple elevators and navigating obstacles.

Dyson Spheres: Basically a colossal structure that is built around a sun to power it. It can be a complete sphere or a collection of rings joined together in one round form, or a single ring like the ringworlds in Halo. Picture a level on this massive sphere or conjoined rings where you're traversing on the surface of the sphere/ring viewing the starry sky as you maneuver around advanced tech and construction machines, and then you occasionally progress further by going just beneath the sphere's/ring's surface, which would be indoor sections that have a gigantic lava ocean beneath (the sun that powers the sphere) that you must avoid falling into. While you barely have to worry about falling while traversing the surface of the sphere, here you contend with the heatwaves and try to get through the limited walkways that's provided as you're in near-constant danger of falling. Up top your main concern is the enemies and unfriendly machinery trying to kill you as the surface has few bottomless pits.

There's so, SO much you could fill a game with, and they could make sections of the game that range from Alien Planets/Civilization, Sci-Fi Technology, The Cosmos, Constellations, Science Fantasy, and Cosmic Horror. Lets say for example, I come up with a level list for each of these sections, but since that would turn this into a massive wall of text I'll make another post with those ideas later.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Lets say for example, I come up with a level list for each of these sections, but since that would turn this into a massive wall of text I'll make another post with those ideas later.
I just want to say that I'm really looking forward to reading this, after having thoroughly enjoyed reading the post that I'm quoting from, here. :grin:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Okay...after about a week of brainstorming I've cooked up a list of levels and ideas in a massive mountain of text. Heeeeere we go....

Here's the "Plot": An alien ship hovers over DK Island and launches a probe nearby that leeches all the minerals, nutrients, resources and whatever else out of the area and teleports it to the ship, leaving the area a toxic vacuum. This area of effect spreads and begins leeching DK Isle as well; the Kongs notice the ship hovering above, give chase, launch into the hangar and attempt to progress further, but by this point the ship is taking off into space and the kongs fall out of the hangar and land on an island that houses a launch site for a space program. They decide to use this NASA-like place to go after this mothership, as they see that their island from a distance has been reduced to a toxic wasteland and the probe's reach is expanding. Soon, the entire planet will be uninhabitable. It's up to DK and friends to reach the aliens responsible and make them turn off their probe.

That's the plot--simple, quick, doesn't really make sense but grave in tone. In DKCR you had to stop your island from being turned into the enemies' paradise, and in DKCTF you had to fight your way back to the island and reclaim it. Here you have to leave the island and travel the universe to save it. Each Boss has a piece of the tool needed to shut down the probe; defeating them means you're one step closer to saving your planet.

Enemy Faction: Aliens. They're anthropomorphic animals that are basically a group of different species under one banner, but the main troops are elephants, and thus the leader of this faction is an unusually large elephant. The other bosses are a Bison, Hyena, Giant Anteater, Hippopotamus, and Coyote. The aesthetic for this faction is a mix between Astronaut and Conquistador. Astronaut because they're exploring a new frontier, and Conquistador because they're not exactly friendly adventurers. There's also faint cult-like elements to them...
Section 1: Science Fiction. Since this is the 1st "World" it has to be a little introduction to the Space setting, and since Tropical Freeze has at least 6 levels per world I'll do my best to list at least 6 myself.

1-1: Launch Site. First level; takes place on whatever planet DKC takes place on, and has some familiar scenery but definitely has its own aesthetic. Takes visual inspiration from NASA's launch facilities and sadly does have nods to the first monkeys flown in space. A platforming level with industrial scenery and notable vegetation.

1-2: Space Elevator. Instead of riding some rocket up, the Kongs ascend an industrial tower so tall that it reaches out to space. The aesthetic has more of the industrial flavor of the 1st level but taking on a more sci-fi tone (the transition to the game's main theme) as the machinery becomes high-tech, and you'll eventually see the atmosphere of the planet as well as its horizon line. You're going from a beautiful sunset sky to a black starry vista as you ascend higher, and it feels like you're on top of the world, because you literally are. There's platforming involved here, along with elevator traversal both up and down mildly similar to DKC2's Castle Crush and a few barrel segments that launch you higher and higher. This is a vertical level that's primarily indoor, but allows you to see what's outside.

1-3: Space Station. The destination of 1-2. You arrive at the space station ready to platform your way around the facility. You're officially offworld and navigating many wings of the station, ranging from laboratories, astronaut training/fitness centers, living quarters and finally the spaceport, where many vehicles dock and take off. The aesthetic is full-blown sci-fi, complete with advanced tech, robots, experimental fuel sources and whatnot. We have officially left the planet behind and are setting out on the new frontier. Primarily a platforming level, but each of the 4 sections of the station have their own twist. The lab is a bit of a maze, the training/fitness section has you endure an obstacle course, living quarters are run of the mill platforming and the port has you avoid incoming and outgoing vehicles.

1-4: Space Travel. The Kongs have found a fancy-looking rocket "barrel" and are flying it to the moon. You navigate the celestial sky avoiding satellites, starships and astronauts as the camera switches perspective from 2D to 3D like Tropical Freeze's Reckless Ride; the level honestly plays like a level of Starfox but with the Rocket Barrel's limitations sadly. You see more of the vastness of space and a handful of constellations, both real and made up, and the trail of the Rocket Barrel leaves star dust like a comet instead of smoke. The checkpoints are small depots with minimal platforming as you go from one rocket to the next and the end of the level has you land on the moon, and there's a secret exit.

1-5: Lunar Colony. Here you will navigate indoor structures on the moon with a view of the space station from 1-3 and the planet from 1-1. You'll traverse the man-made farm (indoor), the lunar village (indoor) and the lunar surface that is primarily deserted, save for some enemies. The farm section will be primarily you navigating a greenhouse and using the vegetation as turf to climb, the village will involve you hopping on 1-story rooftops and recklessly going through people's houses, and the lunar surface will have you use construction machinery to avoid falling into craters. Slightly lower gravity when outside.

1-A: Lunar Caverns.
Secret level from 1-4. You navigate an underground labyrinth being looked after by maintenance droids with machinery that powers the lunar colony. A primarily underground and nearly entirely techno level. Occasionally you reach the surface, which is on the dark side of the moon; here you don't see the setting of 1-1 or 1-3. Just an empty sky with a comet randomly streaking through in the distance.

1-B: Boss Level. The Boss arrives on his starship, you fight him in the moon's crater and after battling him the Kongs take his ship.
Section 2: Science Fantasy. We've crossed into space with Science Fiction and now we're going full on Science Fantasy to let the imagination soar. As this "World" covers some Science Fantasy concepts, each level here takes place on a different planet from each other around the galaxy like it's a tour of the universe, so each level has unique scenery, enemies and settings. Things that come from the imagination are the main force here, regardless of whether it makes sense, so let the crazy concepts commence. Enemies are prone to using magic and alien tech; many settings and characters here stand out as being fantasy creatures or from time periods long past despite the futuristic look overall.

2-1: Starship. The 1st Boss's ship has been hijacked by the Kongs, and all the remaining crew are mobilizing to exterminate them as the ship flies on autopilot. The Kongs are fighting their way from one end of the ship to another, platforming through hazardous machinery and avoiding advanced weaponry like laser cannons, security systems and the like, also using teleporters which is the level's main gimmick. The Aesthetic is indoor, industrial, alien, full of the main antagonist's heraldry, and advanced as you're basically stuck on the enemy's ship with everything trying to kill you. The difficulty is established here as the following levels are less forgiving.

2-2: Dyson Sphere. The ship the Kongs were on has traveled to an entire sun coated by a Dyson Sphere for fuel; the heroes disembark and continue their journey along the massive sphere and trek across the surface. Using Barrel Cannons to blast across large stretches of the structure and platforming on construction / maintenance sites, and often times going just beneath the sphere's surface to continue further. The topside has little bottomless pits to worry about but many projectiles and foes while the underside is the opposite: full of walkways that are easy to fall off of and a bright purple lava ocean beneath that bursts out heatwaves, but very few enemies. You'll find that you'll have to climb across the railings at certain points and move quickly before the catwalks fall into the sun. The aesthetic has a duality to it: Topside you'll see a nebula in the distance on a fancy panel-like surface with construction sites and nearly finished plates, and Below you'll see the underside of those panels absorbing the light and heat from the sun, which from this perspective looks like a massive ocean of pulsating fire from a purple star. There's still construction objects and walkways, but it's minimized by the scope of the purple lava ocean, all with hazy heatwaves for added effects. Barrel Cannon sequences have you weave in and out of the surface of the sphere with a dynamic camera.

2-3: Interstellar Launch. The Barrel Cannons from 2-2 have brought the Kongs to a network of Cannons that let them launch incredible distances over a short time. Inspired by Mass Effect's Mass Relays, the Kongs platform across satellites and into Barrel Sequences that launch them across solar systems to reach the end of the level. They're essentially touring space here, jumping their way through Space Depots, Stations and Battleships with the Cannons being a way to transition to each. The Aesthetic here is the wonders of space; each part here has a different backdrop and the Barrel sequences switch from 2D to 3D constantly and is primarily a Dynamic Barrel level. Think of Returns's Longshot Launch and Tropical Freeze's Cannon Canyon. Basically the most distance covered in the game but the barrels make level’s length standard. Enemies are space serpents primarily. The level's an homage to Mario Galaxy. Contains a secret path.

2-4: Diamond Planet. After literally shooting across space at warp speed the Kongs land on a planet filled not just with diamonds, but treasure in all forms. The world is a frequently visited paradise and on it various species are storing the endless treasures like some sort of bank; on this level you use a mine cart to ride through the gigantic vaults of treasure, and the cart sequence plays out like a chase from a heist movie. This being the 1st planet you visit since 1-1, it's refreshing to be on an actual world again, but the sky looks nothing like the blue planet DK's known all his life as it's populated by flying armored trucks, androids clad in roman armor and alien ships loading treasure in the background. The aesthetic is that of a rocky planet and the buildings are giant vaults / fortresses that store the treasure. Enemies include the Roman Androids, Aliens dressed as security guards and the main antagonist's forces; there's an unusually high amount of banana coins here. Standard platforming 1/5th of the way in, primarily a mine cart level.

2-5: Garden World. Another new planet. Here, the Kongs traverse a world that's being terraformed into a lush rain forest. The NPCs on this level are using advanced massive fantasy tech to rapidly create a biome while you're traversing the level. Vegetation is being formed all around you; creating platforms and alien plants, fruits and vegetables that you must use and or avoid to continue further. Some areas have been created just before you get to them or while you're navigating it, near the end of the stage you'll have to avoid machines that are deforesting parts of the area. The idea of the level is to keep moving; the ground is shifting often to keep you on your toes and enemies here are astronauts and sentient 3D Printers. A sort of alien jungle / laboratory aesthetic is the main look complete with weird plants and slick fancy machinery. What sets the jungle elements apart from the rest of the series is it's alien look and its neat cultivation.

2-6: Lost Civilization. You traverse the ancient ruins of an abandoned city, but atop huge stationary floating airships rather than the ground itself making the level take place above the ruins. The ships and the NPCs who pilot it have an archaeologist flair and you platform your way through the level navigating the ships. At times you use ziplines and the layout of the level is pretty much you hopping from one airship to the next; ascending one, descending another or going straight through. The ships hover close to the top of the ruined buildings, so you have limited platforming on those at times. Your main concern is falling into the ruins below and archaeologists trying to capture you.

2-A: Giant Robot. Alternate route from 2-3. You trek inside a humongous robot submarine in an alien ocean, going through massive corridors that may flood periodically and populated by extraterrestrial museum exhibits and tourists. The aesthetic is a mix between submarine, robotics, museum and aquarium due to the deep sea setting. There's glimpses of strange coral reefs rarely but it's overshadowed by the main element, which is the inside of a massive machine.

2-B: Military Base. Continued route from 2-A. Here, you've stumbled upon a militarized zone on a planet that's basically Mars in all but name, home to sci-fi doomsday weaponry like giant laser cannons, deathbots, extremely powerful (but not as powerful as a level in Section 3) "man"-made bombs and prototypes. Your task for this level is to not become target practice for the myriad of weapons as you'll be jumping your way from one firing range to the next. Enemies here are actually the Roman Androids from 2-4, as a nod to the whole Mars planet being named after a Roman God.

2-BOSS: You fight this boss on a large satellite with 2-B's planet in the background. He's trying to deploy a probe from orbit like the one poisoning your world, and he must be stopped.
Section 3: Deep Space. After touring a handful of planets the Kongs are now travelling the cosmos to the enemy's homeworld. The overarching theme for this section is all the mysteries that can be glimpsed in space, featuring natural phenomenon and constellations, as well as slight nods to mythology where space is concerned. Unlike the 1st 2 sections there's almost no level taking place on an actual planet, and more of the main enemy faction will be found on the levels than not.

3-1: Starry Sky. As an introduction to this new Section, the Kongs trek across a night sky like they're celestial objects. They platform on constellations both fictional and real, sliding down crescent moons, swimming in the tails of comets that streak in periodically, and interacting with stars like they're harmless (which they are in this level). The aesthetic here is stylized; everything resembles artsy depictions of celestial bodies like it's some sort of illustration on an ancient chart. It doesn't have the exact feel of Van Gogh's Starry Night, but that comparison is adequate, and because of those stylized suns, moons, stars and comets, the level is strictly 2D; no dynamic camera here, and when you blast out of a barrel it leaves a trail like a streaking comet and the 1-Shot Barrels burst like a firecracker's explosion. A pretty level with a hemisphere-like layout.

3-2: Cosmic Stream. Here, the kongs are travelling forward on destroyed tech like derelict satellites and the remains of space ships, but all the wreckage is floating on a sparkling tide of stardust like a river, ie the titular Cosmic Stream. The wreckage drifts slowly on the "river" among the depths of space, and the platforms range from standard pieces to stand/walk on to medium-sized structures; the paths are a little fragile in this derelict graveyard, so traversing through the larger structures puts them at risk of collapsing on you. Luckily, the stream on this river behaves like water, so you can swim through the stardust, and when you do, you tend to swim faster than normal. This is a semi-platforming semi-water level; you can navigate the level using either the wreckage, the stardust, or both. The stardust is perfect for speedrunning the level though, and the aesthetic returns to the "realistic" (for DKC anyway) style of the previous levels that 3-1 left behind. Wreckage responds dynamically to the stream and Kongs' presence, and some parts of the stream bob up and down gently. The level's essentially a junkyard river IN SPACE.

3-3: Search and Destroy. Having learned of the previous 2 bosses' fate, the boss of this Section is actively hunting the Kongs and planning to annihilate them. You journey through an outpost on an asteroid field while the boss's battleship patrols in the background, blowing up the environment and launching lasers as well as deploying obstacles in your path to put an end to you. Using searchlights and sentries at the beginning to spot you, the battleship will blow you away if you're in its lights, while many enemies launch projectiles or use tractor beams to hold you in place for the ship to deal with you. After a certain point in the level the ship will just destroy things indiscriminately whether it knows you're hiding behind some asteroids or not, meaning you must move quickly. The layout of the level has platforming parts behind the floating rocks, which usually provides cover for DK as the walls often obscure the ship's visors, but the camera faces the side he's platforming on so we have nothing to block our sight of him. The level's tone is far more tense than the others, as it lets you know that the villains are done taking chances. Could be a Silhouette Level too, if it was made so that the parts behind the asteroid causes the silhouette effect and leaving cover returns you to your perfectly visible state, meaning you're vulnerable to be blasted.

3-4: Riding the Stars. Mine Cart level; you hop on an ethereal cart and ride along the lines that connect the stars of a constellation, then use those lines to intersect the ship from 3-3 and disable its cannons. You can't progress very far with that dreadnought dogging you, so you might as well give it some trouble of your own. As you ride the constellations the camera is 2D, but when you land on the hull of the dreadnought the camera switches from 2D to 3D at certain parts; when on the hull some cannons fire laser beams at you and you must jump up or down, or left or right depending on the camera. You're driving the cart straight into the turrets and cannons, but hopping off at the last second as it collides in a firecracker explosion, landing on another constellation with another ethereal cart, then riding the constellation onto another part of the ship and repeating the process. The level's very linear despite its premise, and at the end, the ship retreats, leaving you free to continue onward. The aesthetic mixes 3-1 and 3-3. When you start the level you see in the distance a bright yellow star zooming past with a cute pink orb on the top of it. A small asteroid approaches in the background; the orb immediately jumps off the star, letting it impact the rock as it seamlessly hops onto another star. It's unknown who this pink puffball may be, but it seems to be foreshadowing the stage's mechanic with a demonstration...

3-A: Neutron Stars. On this stage you're inexplicably at a fortress in space of barricades and locks that prevent you from going further, but also near a cluster of Neutron Stars. These are incredibly dense, but DK can hold these small things for some reason, and he uses them to break down the blockades. The level is mainly a fun destructive place where you create mayhem to move further. The stars impact obstacles like a boulder the size of a planet, despite being so small.

3-5: Creation Myth. Another surreal level. You begin the level in a star-less void where some..."creature" made of smoke and stars in the background rips parts of itself off and flings them around while you platform in the foreground; the parts in the far distance explode and leave clusters of dust. It's simultaneously creating scenery and the rest of the stage for you to traverse; the pieces ripped off are giant nebulae and once you get to the end of the foreground you started on, you blast out of a barrel into the nebulae and continue platforming, reaching the end of one nebula and launching into the next. Inside, the rocky platforms found there are what you can traverse on, with the rolling clouds of the nebula obscuring certain paths and gives you the Silhouette Effect when obscuring you. Some portions of the cloud condense and form permanent rock platforms that you safely walk on, others temporarily making weird shaped platforms that disperse in a pattern, and some begin condensing to form pockets of heat that'd basically be stars, but DK-sized for the sake of gameplay. These stars are dangerous, and some form zipline points that you can use, but if a cloud is obscuring parts of the line, you must jump to avoid falling off as it was placed there to trick you. Has a secret exit, no nods to religion, just mythological creation.

3-6: Gravity Well. This level starts with the Kongs navigating a long abandoned space ship. They start at the top, maneuver around the wreckage and work their way down, making this a vertical level like 1-2, but instead focusing on going downward. As you go through the ship, there's pillars of light emanating from the bottom of the wreckage, which you use to slide down on like a vine. As you go deeper into the setting your jumps become heavier and you land faster, but your jump height stays the same. With your jumps becoming more like groundpounds as you reach deeper layers, you continue along the fragile wreckage, and about 3/4ths of the way through you learn that this ship was drifting on top of a Quasar, a pillar of light being sucked into an event horizon by a Supermassive Black Hole, which explains your heightened fallspeed because you're getting sucked in with it. The Quasar's light was shining through the ship and being refracted by both the corridors and the monstrous black hole as well, bending the rays of light to be solid enough for the Kongs to swing / slide off of. As it becomes clear that you're being pulled into a terrible fate you must navigate what's left of the wreckage quickly before you reach the bottom of the Well. At the end of the level you get inside of a barrel as the footholds around you are crushed and all that is visible is a pitch black horizon beneath you. You must quickly blast out of the barrel, and when you do you're launched further and faster than the barrels from 2-3, but learn in mid-trajectory that it's not enough to escape as you're dragged back down. All you've done is rise to the higher layers; your jumps are less heavy, so you must find one more barrel as strong as that one to launch as far away from this apocalypse. The way the light flows here makes the stage beautiful, but the feeling of horror is what dominates the level.

3-7: Super Nova.
The ending of both 3-6 and 3-A send you into a solar system with a dying green star. It is in its final stages of life and ready to blow, and every starship in this populated solar system is hauling a** to leave ASAP. The Kongs were lucky enough to land (relatively) near an evacuation star port, and many NPCs as well as enemies are fleeing in the same direction as you to leave. You must platform quickly and make split-second maneuvers to survive, as the sun in the background is sending out deadly pulses of heat and waves of lava that ripple across the level, and not just from the background to the foreground, but also behind you, below and above. The magnetic fields cause some vehicles to go haywire and crash into others as well as the level, machinery powers down far too quickly, and you see spacecraft taking off hastily. While 3-6's tone was that of melancholic yet graceful despair (facing the inevitable) and 3-A's was like a way to enjoy wrecking stuff, this level's tone is flat out panic and hysteria. Everyone here cares about completing this level just as badly as the Kongs. As you finish the stage, you find yourself aboard the ship from 3-3. Small world, huh?

3-Boss. It seems you cannot relax just yet, as you must now fight the boss of the section, aka the captain of 3-3's ship. Once he's defeated you're free to go onto the next section.
Section 4: Alien Worlds. Having had enough of the emptiness, dangers and wonders of Deep Space the game now turns its attention to the strange planets one could discover. With you...somewhat closer to the enemies' homeworld and the defeat of 3 top members already, the Kongs have become an important target and thus the levels will be less friendly. The stages here focus on the harshness of exoplanets and extreme conditions that Earth usually doesn't have to deal with. Unlike Section 2, the ideas here are based more heavily on real life planets as a contrast to what we hope alien planets are like versus reality. Enemies here vary from each stage but the main faction is present in each, either through search parties or sentries sent to kill you.

4-1: A New Planet. Having beaten up all the crew from 3-Boss's ship and piloted it until it ran out of fuel (all offscreen), the Kongs decide to leave for the nearest planet. The level starts in the hangar, and the kongs use a rocketbarrel to fly to the planet nearby, making the stage mostly take place in the atmosphere. The camera is dynamic and switches perspective like 1-4's stage and you're piloting your rocket safely onto the surface of this planet, but what kind of world will this turn out to be is a mystery for the next level to solve. The level comes with the excitement of landing on a new world.

4-2: Alien Valley. It turns out the planet from 4-1 is home to a lush valley, but with an odd twist. The midground is that of a lush, wild jungle and alien wildlife while the foreground is a burning inferno and the background is an arctic wasteland. It turns out you're on a planet with a habitable zone only at the equator, and every other part of the planet is either burning or frozen by extreme temperatures. You luckily stay on the equator, but to continue further you must enter a barrel that shoots you closer to the foreground or background to advance. The scenery is affected by the weather of whichever ground you're closest to; fiery in the foreground and icy in the background; the midground's sky is twilight while the foreground is a bright day and the background is night time. Once the level's cleared you move on to another planet.

4-3: Meteor Shower. You land on a new planet that takes place on a harbor beside an ocean. Lots of narrow walkways and an industrial aesthetic that gives a nice view of the ocean and alien sky, but unfortunately there's a meteor shower raining across the seascape. You have to platform your way through the harbor as the meteors strike the fore, mid and background which creates huge splashes of superheated water that at times obscures the sections you have to traverse, but luckily you won't be going on foot, because Rambi's in the level. How'd he get here? Doesn't matter--what's important is that you don't get killed by the meteor shower. An action-packed platforming level on Rambi's back with a nice maritime feel. The impact from the asteroids make the water too dangerous to swim in, so stay dry.

4-4: Toxic Planet. On this level you find yourself on an inhospitable world that was once a lush mountain range, but thanks to the enemy faction's probe this place is filled to the brim with poisonous fumes and devoid of life. A nice reminder of what DK's planet will end up like if he fails; the level has you moving inside the mountain silos and briefly outside in the wide open air to reach the next. The wind blows the sickening fumes around, and contact with it hurts but you mainly worry about that outside of the silos. An ugly level, there's none of that cosmic beauty from 3-2's and 3-6's wreckage. The planet's just a husk.

4-5: Pitch Black. You platform your way into a new world--a desert, but with sand blacker than coal and a pale pink alien sky. The level has a laboratory operated by robots, and they create light sources like bulbs and screens, so the platforms tend to be adorned with little lights and screens appear to illuminate parts of the stage. A dimly lit but lively stage throughout. Glass tends to feature heavily in this level as the lights from the laboratory are used to reflect and refract across the stage for illumination, and has brief cart sections and moving platforms.

4-6: Molten Glass. You now arrive on a world made of glass. Plateaus of slick and jagged glass forms the entire landscape while crystal-like volcanoes litter the background and strong winds push you like DKC2's Gusty Glade. As you press forward, the volcanoes erupt periodically and shards of the molten silicates rain down on you; you must take shelter beneath makeshift barricades formed from destroyed ships. Being in contact with the "rain" causes you to take damage but won't kill you in one hit, so you don't have to worry like you do on 3-7's stage. The planet has a glassy blue color and the pools of lava are nearly like Phazon in color, and the planet looks like Phaaze. Touching those is instant death, and the slick surfaces are often things you can slide off, but only if it's some sort of downward slope. The winds can be useful to help you cover more distance at times, but it also helps that molten glass rain sideways.

4-A: Gas Giant. You "land" on a gaseous world like Jupiter but with a flying laboratory and platform among the machinery and a floating landmass or two. Enemies here tend to be beings made of water vapor and have mild electricity powers.

4-B: Ice Ball. Much like Europa IRL, the Kongs find themselves on a planet with a thick frozen crust and an exotic ocean beneath. The level focuses more on the water aspect than the ice, as you're required to get through that icy layer and explore the depths below.

4-Boss. You fight the boss on an artificial planetoid.
Section 5: Alien Civilization. You've left your home planet, toured outer space and set foot on worlds with weather conditions far different from our own, now it's time to go through some alien civilizations and finally make your way to the enemies' homeworld. Only a few more levels to go. Many of the stages tend to be high tech, and most of them take place on one planet, and every level is the setup for the next. There's a subplot going on that isn't really touched upon as it's part of another hero's story, but you get glimpses of some narrative while the game is strictly gameplay-oriented; this game focuses on the Kongs' involvement, but acknowledges another faction at times. It turns out not everyone is an enemy here.

5-1: Space Colony. Your adventure across the universe has landed you into the enemy faction's solar system, and your first step to finding your final destination is to get through the space colony orbiting their planet, but there's a twist. The colony's under attack by the enemy faction, despite being inhabited by the same species as them. It seems there's a conflict going on between 2 groups: the ones you've been fighting throughout the game and this group who are clad in armor that sets them apart from the enemies. They fight in the foreground and background while you move through the midground; sometimes the good faction will toss hearts over to you and activate machines and walkways for you from the back or foreground. The level has a high amount of enemies but it is a straight up platforming stage, and you don't have to interact with the NPCs as they mostly provide scenery for the level.

5-2: Arrival. You start the level in the hangar of 5-1 and enter an escape pod. The pod launches into the atmosphere as you direct its trajectory while it drops straight down and you land on the planet. Then, you button mash to open the pod doors and out bursts DK! The level has begun, starting in space but taking place on an archipelago that houses a village among some temples. There's a slight futuristic look on top of the tropical background here, as it's peppered with high tech machinery and some hovercraft; you navigate the structures, cross the bridges and you get help from the faction introduced in 5-1 as you're actually traversing their hideout, and at the end of the stage you set off on the sea with them using their hovercraft.

5-3: Crossing the Sea. 5-1's faction has amassed a fleet of hovercraft and are flying towards the enemy's stronghold: a futuristic city not too far off the coast of a continent. As the large airships fly to the city you remain inside the spacious vessel of one doing mild platforming, until the enemy faction launches a counter attack and starts bombing the ships. From this point on you must move your way to the top of the vehicle via an obstacle course formed from the damage the ship's taking and get to the roof. Once you're at the top (which was the easy part) you see a dogfight taking place among allied and enemy ships in the background with projectiles flying back and forth; your ship however is attacked by one that shoots bombs. You must catch the bombs being thrown and send them back before they explode, or use your hand slap to bounce them off; all while dodging projectiles and repelling boarding parties or else the ship blows up. Once you succeed, you jump onto the roof of another friendly airship, repel a few more foes, climb into the ship (another easy segment) and then ride a rocket barrel into the futuristic city, dodging traffic and street signs / advertisements and buildings. The level's elaborate, the background at first is the inside of a ship, then the open sea populated by a dogfight, then the inside of another ship and finally a coastline transitioning to a city. The stages direction is basically Up, Forward, Down, then Forward, but the rocket barrel gets a dynamic angle when it reaches the city.

5-4: Star City. You've finally arrived at the enemy's base: a high-tech city with skyscrapers, flying cars, hovercraft and bullet trains. The level has music that's faintly familiar to Diddy Kong, and in the background of one building you'll find a crumbled statue of some pig sorcerer... Anyway, whatever namesake this city shares with an old game, it's been drastically redesigned much like Retro's redesigned DK Island--we might as well call it New Star City. The Kongs navigate this stage by hopping through fire escapes, running on rooftops, using the flying cars as moving platforms and climbing billboards and advertisements while swinging off ropes and poles. This is a straight up urban jungle level, but with none of the jungle to be found. Just a pretty city with lots of lights, an alien / future feel, a nice evening sky, tons of heavy platforming and nearly just as many enemies. The kongs are soloing this level, there's no friendly allies tossing you hearts or coins from the background.

5-A: The Low Road. You continue through a town on the lower sections of the city. There's more vegetation here and tons of "old-fashioned" hovercraft and tech around the area, whereas 5-4 had you on higher altitudes like rooftops and jumping across flying car traffic, here you're on the streets and whatnot as a contrast to one another. There's few enemies here but tons of turf to climb on; we're basically facing a breather level here. There's a parked Arwing in the background of one section.

5-B: Alien Zoo. Here you make your way through an alien zoo that has accidentally let the animals run loose. Your job is to navigate the level while not getting mauled by the weird wildlife. A fun distraction, but still a dangerous stage.

5-5: High Speed. The journey through the city takes us to a large highway of flying cars, and you must traverse on these high speed vehicles while hopping from one to another. You can hold onto some, but you must move quickly and avoid being pushed off the vehicles and into the ground below, as you're very high up. Checkpoints can be found on the arches here, and the stage requires you to duck under some obstacles and / or incoming traffic, and among the flying cars you might notice some from other series. Enemies here are very scarce, but the ones that are tend to bounce you in a direction you don't wanna go in, like Up if there's cars flying right above your head, or Backwards.

5-6: Star Parade. Now that you've gotten off the highway you find a large parade happening around this part of the city, complete with fireworks, confetti, marching bands with large instruments and floats that you can bounce on, which you'll be using to navigate. You start the level by going down an elevator that obscures our view of the Kongs, and after it briefly scrolls down, the door opens and out emerges DK...on Rambi's back! You won't be going through this stage on foot; with Rambi's help you'll be stampeding through this parade, charging through billboards and bouncing off floats--most of the alien citizens will think it's part of the act anyway and you won't be hurting them. The enemy faction is who you will be hurting though, and you won't be alone, because the allies from 5-1 have arrived to save their city while you burst forward. They'll help you along the way as the usually do: throwing items toward you, creating platforms and stuff, and when you make it to the front of the parade you'll see both the final boss and his right hand man in the background; if you want you can stay at this part and watch in-game as they're exposed as the villains they are or just keep moving through the level. Either option is fine TBH, as once it's done the crowd will cheer and throw tons of bananas, coins, and balloons to you while the villains flee--which can't be prevented as there's a few more stages left, but the Kongs and the allies from 5-1 are seen as heroes in the city.

5-7: The Outskirts. With the city saved, 5-1's allies and the Kongs travel to a shady warehouse outside the city to find the final boss's hideaway. The level features an industrial setting with high-tech security, enemy heraldry and a handful of guard patrols as well as sentry bots. The level starts over an open field but takes place mainly within the warehouse; tight spaces and harrowing platforming is the king in this stage, and inside the Kongs also find as-of-yet dormant probes like the one that landed near DK Isle. As you go deeper into the facility you find a labyrinth that branches into multiple paths; you choose one and the allies go into the rest, all splitting up. Whichever you choose has different platforming segments, and at the end of each is a key. You take the key, return to where the paths split as everyone now has a key too and go through one more brief platforming segment that leads to a large vault with many keyholes. Everyone uses their key to unlock the vault and it opens to reveal a digital map of all the probes' destinations, showing the scope of the enemy faction's plan, which is to feed some very, VERY alien...thing. Suddenly the level shakes and an alarm sounds, but for what will be revealed on the next stage.

5-8: Launch Preparations. The final level of this Section. It turns out the warehouse from 5-7 was sitting on top of a giant mothership and it's preparing for takeoff. You must get to the control room and stop the main villain and his right hand man from launching into space, making this a timed level. The time limit is lax, but obstacles here are mainly meant to slow you down if not kill you, so there's segments with hatches attempting to close before you get through them and sentries that create sticky surfaces to immobilize you. An annoying hurdle for speedrunners, but there's bombs in the environment that you can throw if you get locked in a room to destroy the doors. Level ends near the control room.

5-Boss: As you reach the control room, you stand face-to-face with the final boss and his trusted comrade. The Elephant (final boss) and the Hyena (Section 5's boss) decide to both fight in a way that's similar to the Kongs, with the Elephant leading the charge and the Hyena on his back. After a few hits the duo use a new tactic by tag-teaming like the oldschool DKCs, but the inactive boss runs in the background and tries to attack you from there as you fight the active boss n the midground, each using different attack methods when they're tagged out and in. Eventually, the Elephant is forced to continue on to make sure their plan stays on track, as the Hyena fights to hold the line against the Kongs. Once the Hyena's defeated, the ship's takeoff controls are destroyed and you complete the boss stage.
Section 6: Cosmic Horror. You have traveled from your home planet, across the reaches of space, seen some crazy worlds, locales and environments then thwarted the villain's plan as well as help new allies reclaim their city. But something's amiss...the villain is still at large; he left the fight early to finish a final piece of an emergency plan. What could possibly be the endgame here? We'll know soon, as this Section of the game focuses on Lovecraftian ideas. It's more lovecraft lite TBH. Horrible monstrosities and places that simply shouldn't exist are the main theme here in this definite final section.

6-1: The Reveal. Picking up where the Boss Fight left off, the Kongs have chased the Elephant to the top of his mothership, where he flees in an escape pod with some contraption. He hovers off in the distance, deploys his device and a massive crater forms in the background under his device, as the planet shakes. You must traverse the level as structures crumble around you in an attempt to crush you. At the end of the stage you hear a massive monster's yawn. Something in that crater is...alive.

6-2: Awakening. As the...thing awakens from the massive crater in the background, the entire planet transforms its surface into a weird texture that seems to mimic the look of sand via a planet-wide earthquake followed by a shockwave so large it can be seen across the planet's horizon. You must outrun this shockwave, first by platforming along an obstacle course in the midground with a barrel at the end, then as you enter that barrel you're blasted to the foreground--which becomes the new midground--and you maneuver your way around some more hazards to a minecart and ride it, but with the camera facing the shockwave at an angle, like High Tide Ride's camera in reverse. While you're moving through the obstacles, the insta-death shockwave comes closer so you're somewhat on a time limit to get to the barrel. This sequence is pretty much Yoshi's Island's Final Boss battle, but as a platforming sequence and no way to fight back, just run. The cart section has you riding away in an on-rails segment that is a nod to Crash Bandicoot but with the DKC style.

6-3: Rogue Planet. The world has fully transformed into a massive orb with a sandy texture and a humongous crater that can be seen from orbit. What this planet has become is unsettling, and to make matters worse it has left its orbit for what appears to be a collision course with another planet. You travel through an underground cave while this is happening, and now that the planet has transformed into some spherical creature, the environment looks like some weird, living magical cave with a vast draw distance and tons of alien formations. What the Kongs are inside of is unknown, as the planet surely didn't look this...alien in Section 5. The level is full of strange phenomenon and odd light sources that overall have a very strange beauty to them, but it's still unsettling. A heavy platforming stage.

6-4: Linked Worlds. Now that the planet has caught up to another world a strange event has occurred: The transformed sphere has anchored itself to the other world with some odd rays of light that can best be described as a massively thick tether of webs, and the Kongs, who've had enough of what this planet is doing use the link between these spheres to escape this world, which is where the stage takes place. The colossal tether is made of some odd material and has platforms along it as well as never-before-seen enemies and harrowing obstacles. The background is the outer reaches of space and the stage is Upward-Diagonally oriented. As the Kongs reach the end of the stage, they board 5-1's Space Colony.

6-5: Approaching A Star. With the Kongs platforming on the space station, we finally have a normal level that makes sense again! This is a breather level that is much needed considering the past 4 levels' weirdness with standard challenging (relatively) segments and the like, but in the background you'll see in addition to outer space is the planet that was transformed, and more planets linked up to it, like a web of taken worlds. Whatever this thing is, it's expanding, but that's a problem for another stage. This level contains two secret paths that lead to more normal levels.

6-A: Exploring the Colony. On this stage you take a break from these "plot"-driven levels and fool around in the colony. There's no catastrophe in the background and no serious tone whatsoever; here you just enjoy platforming challenges and minigames while we pretend there's no need to beat the game any time soon. Meant to be a fun level--collect things in a time limit or navigate obstacle courses without getting hit for prizes.

6-B: A Strange Portal. Even more of an escapist level than 6-A, you find a portal that takes you to 3 sections that are each based off a level from the 1st 3 DKCs. Those levels being the Ice Cave from DKC 1, the Castle from DKC 2 and the Factory from DKC 3. These aren't remasters though--they're just new levels with a look and tone that resembles those stages, all fully rendered of course. Have fun.

6-6: Consuming A Sun. With the network of planets growing the Kongs take the fight to the final boss's mothership, which has been following the rogue worlds and infiltrate it. They fly a rocket barrel toward the ship dodging the usual obstacles such as space debris, asteroids and defense systems, and in the background you see all those linked planets as they've approached the star of their solar system. The planets all inhale the star into each sphere slowly while you traverse the level; they intend to drain the star for some unknown reason that cannot be good, and so you must thwart the villain before whatever this creature's plan is reaches completion

6-7: The Final Level. You've returned to the main antagonist's space station from 5-7 and 5-8. Now you must fight your way to the boss with Rambi's and the allies' assistance. You charge through defense systems and sentries at fullspeed letting nothing slow you down. It's like Meltdown Mayhem with an indoor spaceship aesthetic, full of enemy heraldry and screens depicting the creature in space draining the local sun and diagrams of potential planets. The grand finale, it all comes to this.

6-Boss: Finale. You reach the deck of the mothership, with a full view of this monstrous planet and its network still consuming the star. The final boss cutscene plays, and you get a glimpse of what's going on; the leader of the enemy faction you've been fighting the whole game has summoned a galactic monster to help him conquer the universe. Using probes he and his gang have launched onto alien worlds like DK's, he has given it enough food to awaken it on his own planet. The creature has then used said planet as a body, abandoned its orbit, and began to launch tethers onto other worlds, creating a near-literal web of spherical bodies to basically grow in size. These planets function as mouths as well thanks to the bottomless craters that can be seen from orbit; with enough mouths, the monstrosity moves toward a sun and then inhales the entire thing with each mouth. The energy taken from this sun will give it enough power to form an eye. With this eye, the abomination will see its surroundings and become intelligent, choosing where to go next throughout the universe, take more planets and eat more stars and grow even smarter with each newly formed eye. The main antagonist--the Elephant--has basically unleashed a sentient star system upon the universe, and hopes to tame it to radiate terror among all life.

Ignoring the vast stupidity of this plan, the Kongs are infuriated that their planet was used to feed this apocalypse, and so the battle begins more ferocious than ever before. The fight takes place aboard the ship with a wide view of outerspace and the monster in the far background. The color of space changes during each phase of the fight and the cosmic catastrophe in the background gets closer to finishing its meal, but the boss fight isn't timed as it's already hard enough as the Elephant will be throwing EVERYTHING he has to defeat you; the monster's progress responds to each phase of the fight as well, and the battle is both the finale and a sort of rematch--the Elephant has learned from the fight in Section 5 and has some tricks up his trunk. Beat him, and the game is finished.

ENDING: The Elephant is knocked out of the ship with a punch stronger than what DK used against Tiki Tong, and he lands into the maw of the galactic beast like a comet, causing it to exhale all that it took from the sun. Aboard the ship, the final piece of the Probes' shutdown mechanism is activated, reversing all the resources leeched from all the planets as the ship enters a meltdown. The Kongs set the ship on one last voyage straight to the monster's mouth and they escape before it reaches its destination. The ship creates a magical explosion inside the beast that eradicates it from every planet and returns all the worlds to normal, as the shockwave pushes them back to their orbits and original distances from the sun. The Kongs are viewed as galactic heroes among their new friends, and after much gratitude they return to their far off planet during the credits to find an even bigger homecoming party waiting for them. Their biggest adventure to date has been completed, and their world is more beautiful than ever.

THAT'S what I've come up with. Turned out to be harder than I'd hoped but I got through it; feedback is welcome, both positive, negative and neutral so don't be shy. Hopefully I didn't jump the shark with Section 6...

I guess you can't really call this Donkey Kong Country if you're not having the story take place on islands though....

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Okay...after about a week of brainstorming I've cooked up a list of levels and ideas in a massive mountain of text. Heeeeere we go....

Here's the "Plot": An alien ship hovers over DK Island and launches a probe nearby that leeches all the minerals, nutrients, resources and whatever else out of the area and teleports it to the ship, leaving the area a toxic vacuum. This area of effect spreads and begins leeching DK Isle as well; the Kongs notice the ship hovering above, give chase, launch into the hangar and attempt to progress further, but by this point the ship is taking off into space and the kongs fall out of the hangar and land on an island that houses a launch site for a space program. They decide to use this NASA-like place to go after this mothership, as they see that their island from a distance has been reduced to a toxic wasteland and the probe's reach is expanding. Soon, the entire planet will be uninhabitable. It's up to DK and friends to reach the aliens responsible and make them turn off their probe.

That's the plot--simple, quick, doesn't really make sense but grave in tone. In DKCR you had to stop your island from being turned into the enemies' paradise, and in DKCTF you had to fight your way back to the island and reclaim it. Here you have to leave the island and travel the universe to save it. Each Boss has a piece of the tool needed to shut down the probe; defeating them means you're one step closer to saving your planet.

Enemy Faction: Aliens. They're anthropomorphic animals that are basically a group of different species under one banner, but the main troops are elephants, and thus the leader of this faction is an unusually large elephant. The other bosses are a Bison, Hyena, Giant Anteater, Hippopotamus, and Coyote. The aesthetic for this faction is a mix between Astronaut and Conquistador. Astronaut because they're exploring a new frontier, and Conquistador because they're not exactly friendly adventurers. There's also faint cult-like elements to them...
Section 1: Science Fiction. Since this is the 1st "World" it has to be a little introduction to the Space setting, and since Tropical Freeze has at least 6 levels per world I'll do my best to list at least 6 myself.

1-1: Launch Site. First level; takes place on whatever planet DKC takes place on, and has some familiar scenery but definitely has its own aesthetic. Takes visual inspiration from NASA's launch facilities and sadly does have nods to the first monkeys flown in space. A platforming level with industrial scenery and notable vegetation.

1-2: Space Elevator. Instead of riding some rocket up, the Kongs ascend an industrial tower so tall that it reaches out to space. The aesthetic has more of the industrial flavor of the 1st level but taking on a more sci-fi tone (the transition to the game's main theme) as the machinery becomes high-tech, and you'll eventually see the atmosphere of the planet as well as its horizon line. You're going from a beautiful sunset sky to a black starry vista as you ascend higher, and it feels like you're on top of the world, because you literally are. There's platforming involved here, along with elevator traversal both up and down mildly similar to DKC2's Castle Crush and a few barrel segments that launch you higher and higher. This is a vertical level that's primarily indoor, but allows you to see what's outside.

1-3: Space Station. The destination of 1-2. You arrive at the space station ready to platform your way around the facility. You're officially offworld and navigating many wings of the station, ranging from laboratories, astronaut training/fitness centers, living quarters and finally the spaceport, where many vehicles dock and take off. The aesthetic is full-blown sci-fi, complete with advanced tech, robots, experimental fuel sources and whatnot. We have officially left the planet behind and are setting out on the new frontier. Primarily a platforming level, but each of the 4 sections of the station have their own twist. The lab is a bit of a maze, the training/fitness section has you endure an obstacle course, living quarters are run of the mill platforming and the port has you avoid incoming and outgoing vehicles.

1-4: Space Travel. The Kongs have found a fancy-looking rocket "barrel" and are flying it to the moon. You navigate the celestial sky avoiding satellites, starships and astronauts as the camera switches perspective from 2D to 3D like Tropical Freeze's Reckless Ride; the level honestly plays like a level of Starfox but with the Rocket Barrel's limitations sadly. You see more of the vastness of space and a handful of constellations, both real and made up, and the trail of the Rocket Barrel leaves star dust like a comet instead of smoke. The checkpoints are small depots with minimal platforming as you go from one rocket to the next and the end of the level has you land on the moon, and there's a secret exit.

1-5: Lunar Colony. Here you will navigate indoor structures on the moon with a view of the space station from 1-3 and the planet from 1-1. You'll traverse the man-made farm (indoor), the lunar village (indoor) and the lunar surface that is primarily deserted, save for some enemies. The farm section will be primarily you navigating a greenhouse and using the vegetation as turf to climb, the village will involve you hopping on 1-story rooftops and recklessly going through people's houses, and the lunar surface will have you use construction machinery to avoid falling into craters. Slightly lower gravity when outside.

1-A: Lunar Caverns.
Secret level from 1-4. You navigate an underground labyrinth being looked after by maintenance droids with machinery that powers the lunar colony. A primarily underground and nearly entirely techno level. Occasionally you reach the surface, which is on the dark side of the moon; here you don't see the setting of 1-1 or 1-3. Just an empty sky with a comet randomly streaking through in the distance.

1-B: Boss Level. The Boss arrives on his starship, you fight him in the moon's crater and after battling him the Kongs take his ship.
Section 2: Science Fantasy. We've crossed into space with Science Fiction and now we're going full on Science Fantasy to let the imagination soar. As this "World" covers some Science Fantasy concepts, each level here takes place on a different planet from each other around the galaxy like it's a tour of the universe, so each level has unique scenery, enemies and settings. Things that come from the imagination are the main force here, regardless of whether it makes sense, so let the crazy concepts commence. Enemies are prone to using magic and alien tech; many settings and characters here stand out as being fantasy creatures or from time periods long past despite the futuristic look overall.

2-1: Starship. The 1st Boss's ship has been hijacked by the Kongs, and all the remaining crew are mobilizing to exterminate them as the ship flies on autopilot. The Kongs are fighting their way from one end of the ship to another, platforming through hazardous machinery and avoiding advanced weaponry like laser cannons, security systems and the like, also using teleporters which is the level's main gimmick. The Aesthetic is indoor, industrial, alien, full of the main antagonist's heraldry, and advanced as you're basically stuck on the enemy's ship with everything trying to kill you. The difficulty is established here as the following levels are less forgiving.

2-2: Dyson Sphere. The ship the Kongs were on has traveled to an entire sun coated by a Dyson Sphere for fuel; the heroes disembark and continue their journey along the massive sphere and trek across the surface. Using Barrel Cannons to blast across large stretches of the structure and platforming on construction / maintenance sites, and often times going just beneath the sphere's surface to continue further. The topside has little bottomless pits to worry about but many projectiles and foes while the underside is the opposite: full of walkways that are easy to fall off of and a bright purple lava ocean beneath that bursts out heatwaves, but very few enemies. You'll find that you'll have to climb across the railings at certain points and move quickly before the catwalks fall into the sun. The aesthetic has a duality to it: Topside you'll see a nebula in the distance on a fancy panel-like surface with construction sites and nearly finished plates, and Below you'll see the underside of those panels absorbing the light and heat from the sun, which from this perspective looks like a massive ocean of pulsating fire from a purple star. There's still construction objects and walkways, but it's minimized by the scope of the purple lava ocean, all with hazy heatwaves for added effects. Barrel Cannon sequences have you weave in and out of the surface of the sphere with a dynamic camera.

2-3: Interstellar Launch. The Barrel Cannons from 2-2 have brought the Kongs to a network of Cannons that let them launch incredible distances over a short time. Inspired by Mass Effect's Mass Relays, the Kongs platform across satellites and into Barrel Sequences that launch them across solar systems to reach the end of the level. They're essentially touring space here, jumping their way through Space Depots, Stations and Battleships with the Cannons being a way to transition to each. The Aesthetic here is the wonders of space; each part here has a different backdrop and the Barrel sequences switch from 2D to 3D constantly and is primarily a Dynamic Barrel level. Think of Returns's Longshot Launch and Tropical Freeze's Cannon Canyon. Basically the most distance covered in the game but the barrels make level’s length standard. Enemies are space serpents primarily. The level's an homage to Mario Galaxy. Contains a secret path.

2-4: Diamond Planet. After literally shooting across space at warp speed the Kongs land on a planet filled not just with diamonds, but treasure in all forms. The world is a frequently visited paradise and on it various species are storing the endless treasures like some sort of bank; on this level you use a mine cart to ride through the gigantic vaults of treasure, and the cart sequence plays out like a chase from a heist movie. This being the 1st planet you visit since 1-1, it's refreshing to be on an actual world again, but the sky looks nothing like the blue planet DK's known all his life as it's populated by flying armored trucks, androids clad in roman armor and alien ships loading treasure in the background. The aesthetic is that of a rocky planet and the buildings are giant vaults / fortresses that store the treasure. Enemies include the Roman Androids, Aliens dressed as security guards and the main antagonist's forces; there's an unusually high amount of banana coins here. Standard platforming 1/5th of the way in, primarily a mine cart level.

2-5: Garden World. Another new planet. Here, the Kongs traverse a world that's being terraformed into a lush rain forest. The NPCs on this level are using advanced massive fantasy tech to rapidly create a biome while you're traversing the level. Vegetation is being formed all around you; creating platforms and alien plants, fruits and vegetables that you must use and or avoid to continue further. Some areas have been created just before you get to them or while you're navigating it, near the end of the stage you'll have to avoid machines that are deforesting parts of the area. The idea of the level is to keep moving; the ground is shifting often to keep you on your toes and enemies here are astronauts and sentient 3D Printers. A sort of alien jungle / laboratory aesthetic is the main look complete with weird plants and slick fancy machinery. What sets the jungle elements apart from the rest of the series is it's alien look and its neat cultivation.

2-6: Lost Civilization. You traverse the ancient ruins of an abandoned city, but atop huge stationary floating airships rather than the ground itself making the level take place above the ruins. The ships and the NPCs who pilot it have an archaeologist flair and you platform your way through the level navigating the ships. At times you use ziplines and the layout of the level is pretty much you hopping from one airship to the next; ascending one, descending another or going straight through. The ships hover close to the top of the ruined buildings, so you have limited platforming on those at times. Your main concern is falling into the ruins below and archaeologists trying to capture you.

2-A: Giant Robot. Alternate route from 2-3. You trek inside a humongous robot submarine in an alien ocean, going through massive corridors that may flood periodically and populated by extraterrestrial museum exhibits and tourists. The aesthetic is a mix between submarine, robotics, museum and aquarium due to the deep sea setting. There's glimpses of strange coral reefs rarely but it's overshadowed by the main element, which is the inside of a massive machine.

2-B: Military Base. Continued route from 2-A. Here, you've stumbled upon a militarized zone on a planet that's basically Mars in all but name, home to sci-fi doomsday weaponry like giant laser cannons, deathbots, extremely powerful (but not as powerful as a level in Section 3) "man"-made bombs and prototypes. Your task for this level is to not become target practice for the myriad of weapons as you'll be jumping your way from one firing range to the next. Enemies here are actually the Roman Androids from 2-4, as a nod to the whole Mars planet being named after a Roman God.

2-BOSS: You fight this boss on a large satellite with 2-B's planet in the background. He's trying to deploy a probe from orbit like the one poisoning your world, and he must be stopped.
Section 3: Deep Space. After touring a handful of planets the Kongs are now travelling the cosmos to the enemy's homeworld. The overarching theme for this section is all the mysteries that can be glimpsed in space, featuring natural phenomenon and constellations, as well as slight nods to mythology where space is concerned. Unlike the 1st 2 sections there's almost no level taking place on an actual planet, and more of the main enemy faction will be found on the levels than not.

3-1: Starry Sky. As an introduction to this new Section, the Kongs trek across a night sky like they're celestial objects. They platform on constellations both fictional and real, sliding down crescent moons, swimming in the tails of comets that streak in periodically, and interacting with stars like they're harmless (which they are in this level). The aesthetic here is stylized; everything resembles artsy depictions of celestial bodies like it's some sort of illustration on an ancient chart. It doesn't have the exact feel of Van Gogh's Starry Night, but that comparison is adequate, and because of those stylized suns, moons, stars and comets, the level is strictly 2D; no dynamic camera here, and when you blast out of a barrel it leaves a trail like a streaking comet and the 1-Shot Barrels burst like a firecracker's explosion. A pretty level with a hemisphere-like layout.

3-2: Cosmic Stream. Here, the kongs are travelling forward on destroyed tech like derelict satellites and the remains of space ships, but all the wreckage is floating on a sparkling tide of stardust like a river, ie the titular Cosmic Stream. The wreckage drifts slowly on the "river" among the depths of space, and the platforms range from standard pieces to stand/walk on to medium-sized structures; the paths are a little fragile in this derelict graveyard, so traversing through the larger structures puts them at risk of collapsing on you. Luckily, the stream on this river behaves like water, so you can swim through the stardust, and when you do, you tend to swim faster than normal. This is a semi-platforming semi-water level; you can navigate the level using either the wreckage, the stardust, or both. The stardust is perfect for speedrunning the level though, and the aesthetic returns to the "realistic" (for DKC anyway) style of the previous levels that 3-1 left behind. Wreckage responds dynamically to the stream and Kongs' presence, and some parts of the stream bob up and down gently. The level's essentially a junkyard river IN SPACE.

3-3: Search and Destroy. Having learned of the previous 2 bosses' fate, the boss of this Section is actively hunting the Kongs and planning to annihilate them. You journey through an outpost on an asteroid field while the boss's battleship patrols in the background, blowing up the environment and launching lasers as well as deploying obstacles in your path to put an end to you. Using searchlights and sentries at the beginning to spot you, the battleship will blow you away if you're in its lights, while many enemies launch projectiles or use tractor beams to hold you in place for the ship to deal with you. After a certain point in the level the ship will just destroy things indiscriminately whether it knows you're hiding behind some asteroids or not, meaning you must move quickly. The layout of the level has platforming parts behind the floating rocks, which usually provides cover for DK as the walls often obscure the ship's visors, but the camera faces the side he's platforming on so we have nothing to block our sight of him. The level's tone is far more tense than the others, as it lets you know that the villains are done taking chances. Could be a Silhouette Level too, if it was made so that the parts behind the asteroid causes the silhouette effect and leaving cover returns you to your perfectly visible state, meaning you're vulnerable to be blasted.

3-4: Riding the Stars. Mine Cart level; you hop on an ethereal cart and ride along the lines that connect the stars of a constellation, then use those lines to intersect the ship from 3-3 and disable its cannons. You can't progress very far with that dreadnought dogging you, so you might as well give it some trouble of your own. As you ride the constellations the camera is 2D, but when you land on the hull of the dreadnought the camera switches from 2D to 3D at certain parts; when on the hull some cannons fire laser beams at you and you must jump up or down, or left or right depending on the camera. You're driving the cart straight into the turrets and cannons, but hopping off at the last second as it collides in a firecracker explosion, landing on another constellation with another ethereal cart, then riding the constellation onto another part of the ship and repeating the process. The level's very linear despite its premise, and at the end, the ship retreats, leaving you free to continue onward. The aesthetic mixes 3-1 and 3-4.

3-A: Neutron Stars. On this stage you're inexplicably at a fortress in space of barricades and locks that prevent you from going further, but also near a cluster of Neutron Stars. These are incredibly dense, but DK can hold these small things for some reason, and he uses them to break down the blockades. The level is mainly a fun destructive place where you create mayhem to move further. The stars impact obstacles like a boulder the size of a planet, despite being so small.

3-5: Creation Myth. Another surreal level. You begin the level in a star-less void where some..."creature" made of smoke and stars in the background rips parts of itself off and flings them around while you platform in the foreground; the parts in the far distance explode and leave clusters of dust. It's simultaneously creating scenery and the rest of the stage for you to traverse; the pieces ripped off are giant nebulae and once you get to the end of the foreground you started on, you blast out of a barrel into the nebulae and continue platforming, reaching the end of one nebula and launching into the next. Inside, the rocky platforms found there are what you can traverse on, with the rolling clouds of the nebula obscuring certain paths and gives you the Silhouette Effect when obscuring you. Some portions of the cloud condense and form permanent rock platforms that you safely walk on, others temporarily making weird shaped platforms that disperse in a pattern, and some begin condensing to form pockets of heat that'd basically be stars, but DK-sized for the sake of gameplay. These stars are dangerous, and some form zipline points that you can use, but if a cloud is obscuring parts of the line, you must jump to avoid falling off as it was placed there to trick you. Has a secret exit, no nods to religion, just mythological creation.

3-6: Gravity Well. This level starts with the Kongs navigating a long abandoned space ship. They start at the top, maneuver around the wreckage and work their way down, making this a vertical level like 1-2, but instead focusing on going downward. As you go through the ship, there's pillars of light emanating from the bottom of the wreckage, which you use to slide down on like a vine. As you go deeper into the setting your jumps become heavier and you land faster, but your jump height stays the same. With your jumps becoming more like groundpounds as you reach deeper layers, you continue along the fragile wreckage, and about 3/4ths of the way through you learn that this ship was drifting on top of a Quasar, a pillar of light being sucked into an event horizon by a Supermassive Black Hole, which explains your heightened fallspeed because you're getting sucked in with it. The Quasar's light was shining through the ship and being refracted by both the corridors and the monstrous black hole as well, bending the rays of light to be solid enough for the Kongs to swing / slide off of. As it becomes clear that you're being pulled into a terrible fate you must navigate what's left of the wreckage quickly before you reach the bottom of the Well. At the end of the level you get inside of a barrel as the footholds around you are crushed and all that is visible is a pitch black horizon beneath you. You must quickly blast out of the barrel, and when you do you're launched further and faster than the barrels from 2-3, but learn in mid-trajectory that it's not enough to escape as you're dragged back down. All you've done is rise to the higher layers; your jumps are less heavy, so you must find one more barrel as strong as that one to launch as far away from this apocalypse. The way the light flows here makes the stage beautiful, but the feeling of horror is what dominates the level.

3-7: Super Nova.
The ending of both 3-6 and 3-A send you into a solar system with a dying green star. It is in its final stages of life and ready to blow, and every starship in this populated solar system is hauling a** to leave ASAP. The Kongs were lucky enough to land (relatively) near an evacuation star port, and many NPCs as well as enemies are fleeing in the same direction as you to leave. You must platform quickly and make split-second maneuvers to survive, as the sun in the background is sending out deadly pulses of heat and waves of lava that ripple across the level, and not just from the background to the foreground, but also behind you, below and above. The magnetic fields cause some vehicles to go haywire and crash into others as well as the level, machinery powers down far too quickly, and you see spacecraft taking off hastily. While 3-6's tone was that of melancholic yet graceful despair (facing the inevitable) and 3-A's was like a way to enjoy wrecking stuff, this level's tone is flat out panic and hysteria. Everyone here cares about completing this level just as badly as the Kongs. As you finish the stage, you find yourself aboard the ship from 3-3. Small world, huh?

3-Boss. It seems you cannot relax just yet, as you must now fight the boss of the section, aka the captain of 3-3's ship. Once he's defeated you're free to go onto the next section.
Section 4: Alien Worlds. Having had enough of the emptiness, dangers and wonders of Deep Space the game now turns its attention to the strange planets one could discover. With you...somewhat closer to the enemies' homeworld and the defeat of 3 top members already, the Kongs have become an important target and thus the levels will be less friendly. The stages here focus on the harshness of exoplanets and extreme conditions that Earth usually doesn't have to deal with. Unlike Section 2, the ideas here are based more heavily on real life planets as a contrast to what we hope alien planets are like versus reality. Enemies here vary from each stage but the main faction is present in each, either through search parties or sentries sent to kill you.

4-1: A New Planet. Having beaten up all the crew from 3-Boss's ship and piloted it until it ran out of fuel (all offscreen), the Kongs decide to leave for the nearest planet. The level starts in the hangar, and the kongs use a rocketbarrel to fly to the planet nearby, making the stage mostly take place in the atmosphere. The camera is dynamic and switches perspective like 1-4's stage and you're piloting your rocket safely onto the surface of this planet, but what kind of world will this turn out to be is a mystery for the next level to solve. The level comes with the excitement of landing on a new world.

4-2: Alien Valley. It turns out the planet from 4-1 is home to a lush valley, but with an odd twist. The midground is that of a lush, wild jungle and alien wildlife while the foreground is a burning inferno and the background is an arctic wasteland. It turns out you're on a planet with a habitable zone only at the equator, and every other part of the planet is either burning or frozen by extreme temperatures. You luckily stay on the equator, but to continue further you must enter a barrel that shoots you closer to the foreground or background to advance. The scenery is affected by the weather of whichever ground you're closest to; fiery in the foreground and icy in the background; the midground's sky is twilight while the foreground is a bright day and the background is night time. Once the level's cleared you move on to another planet.

4-3: Meteor Shower. You land on a new planet that takes place on a harbor beside an ocean. Lots of narrow walkways and an industrial aesthetic that gives a nice view of the ocean and alien sky, but unfortunately there's a meteor shower raining across the seascape. You have to platform your way through the harbor as the meteors strike the fore, mid and background which creates huge splashes of superheated water that at times obscures the sections you have to traverse, but luckily you won't be going on foot, because Rambi's in the level. How'd he get here? Doesn't matter--what's important is that you don't get killed by the meteor shower. An action-packed platforming level on Rambi's back with a nice maritime feel. The impact from the asteroids make the water too dangerous to swim in, so stay dry.

4-4: Toxic Planet. On this level you find yourself on an inhospitable world that was once a lush mountain range, but thanks to the enemy faction's probe this place is filled to the brim with poisonous fumes and devoid of life. A nice reminder of what DK's planet will end up like if he fails; the level has you moving inside the mountain silos and briefly outside in the wide open air to reach the next. The wind blows the sickening fumes around, and contact with it hurts but you mainly worry about that outside of the silos. An ugly level, there's none of that cosmic beauty from 3-2's and 3-6's wreckage. The planet's just a husk.

4-5: Pitch Black. You platform your way into a new world--a desert, but with sand blacker than coal and a pale pink alien sky. The level has a laboratory operated by robots, and they create light sources like bulbs and screens, so the platforms tend to be adorned with little lights and screens appear to illuminate parts of the stage. A dimly lit but lively stage throughout. Glass tends to feature heavily in this level as the lights from the laboratory are used to reflect and refract across the stage for illumination, and has brief cart sections and moving platforms.

4-6: Molten Glass. You now arrive on a world made of glass. Plateaus of slick and jagged glass forms the entire landscape while crystal-like volcanoes litter the background and strong winds push you like DKC2's Gusty Glade. As you press forward, the volcanoes erupt periodically and shards of the molten silicates rain down on you; you must take shelter beneath makeshift barricades formed from destroyed ships. Being in contact with the "rain" causes you to take damage but won't kill you in one hit, so you don't have to worry like you do on 3-7's stage. The planet has a glassy blue color and the pools of lava are nearly like Phazon in color, and the planet looks like Phaaze. Touching those is instant death, and the slick surfaces are often things you can slide off, but only if it's some sort of downward slope. The winds can be useful to help you cover more distance at times, but it also helps that molten glass rain sideways.

4-A: Gas Giant. You "land" on a gaseous world like Jupiter but with a flying laboratory and platform among the machinery and a floating landmass or two. Enemies here tend to be beings made of water vapor and have mild electricity powers.

4-B: Ice Ball. Much like Europa IRL, the Kongs find themselves on a planet with a thick frozen crust and an exotic ocean beneath. The level focuses more on the water aspect than the ice, as you're required to get through that icy layer and explore the depths below.

4-Boss. You fight the boss on an artificial planetoid.
Section 5: Alien Civilization. You've left your home planet, toured outer space and set foot on worlds with weather conditions far different from our own, now it's time to go through some alien civilizations and finally make your way to the enemies' homeworld. Only a few more levels to go. Many of the stages tend to be high tech, and most of them take place on one planet, and every level is the setup for the next. There's a subplot going on that isn't really touched upon as it's part of another hero's story, but you get glimpses of some narrative while the game is strictly gameplay-oriented; this game focuses on the Kongs' involvement, but acknowledges another faction at times. It turns out not everyone is an enemy here.

5-1: Space Colony. Your adventure across the universe has landed you into the enemy faction's solar system, and your first step to finding your final destination is to get through the space colony orbiting their planet, but there's a twist. The colony's under attack by the enemy faction, despite being inhabited by the same species as them. It seems there's a conflict going on between 2 groups: the ones you've been fighting throughout the game and this group who are clad in armor that sets them apart from the enemies. They fight in the foreground and background while you move through the midground; sometimes the good faction will toss hearts over to you and activate machines and walkways for you from the back or foreground. The level has a high amount of enemies but it is a straight up platforming stage, and you don't have to interact with the NPCs as they mostly provide scenery for the level.

5-2: Arrival. You start the level in the hangar of 5-1 and enter an escape pod. The pod launches into the atmosphere as you direct its trajectory while it drops straight down and you land on the planet. Then, you button mash to open the pod doors and out bursts DK! The level has begun, starting in space but taking place on an archipelago that houses a village among some temples. There's a slight futuristic look on top of the tropical background here, as it's peppered with high tech machinery and some hovercraft; you navigate the structures, cross the bridges and you get help from the faction introduced in 5-1 as you're actually traversing their hideout, and at the end of the stage you set off on the sea with them using their hovercraft.

5-3: Crossing the Sea. 5-1's faction has amassed a fleet of hovercraft and are flying towards the enemy's stronghold: a futuristic city not too far off the coast of a continent. As the large airships fly to the city you remain inside the spacious vessel of one doing mild platforming, until the enemy faction launches a counter attack and starts bombing the ships. From this point on you must move your way to the top of the vehicle via an obstacle course formed from the damage the ship's taking and get to the roof. Once you're at the top (which was the easy part) you see a dogfight taking place among allied and enemy ships in the background with projectiles flying back and forth; your ship however is attacked by one that shoots bombs. You must catch the bombs being thrown and send them back before they explode, or use your hand slap to bounce them off; all while dodging projectiles and repelling boarding parties or else the ship blows up. Once you succeed, you jump onto the roof of another friendly airship, repel a few more foes, climb into the ship (another easy segment) and then ride a rocket barrel into the futuristic city, dodging traffic and street signs / advertisements and buildings. The level's elaborate, the background at first is the inside of a ship, then the open sea populated by a dogfight, then the inside of another ship and finally a coastline transitioning to a city. The stages direction is basically Up, Forward, Down, then Forward, but the rocket barrel gets a dynamic angle when it reaches the city.

5-4: Star City. You've finally arrived at the enemy's base: a high-tech city with skyscrapers, flying cars, hovercraft and bullet trains. The level has music that's faintly familiar to Diddy Kong, and in the background of one building you'll find a crumbled statue of some pig sorcerer... Anyway, whatever namesake this city shares with an old game, it's been drastically redesigned much like Retro's redesigned DK Island--we might as well call it New Star City. The Kongs navigate this stage by hopping through fire escapes, running on rooftops, using the flying cars as moving platforms and climbing billboards and advertisements while swinging off ropes and poles. This is a straight up urban jungle level, but with none of the jungle to be found. Just a pretty city with lots of lights, an alien / future feel, a nice evening sky, tons of heavy platforming and nearly just as many enemies. The kongs are soloing this level, there's no friendly allies tossing you hearts or coins from the background.

5-A: The Low Road. You continue through a town on the lower sections of the city. There's more vegetation here and tons of "old-fashioned" hovercraft and tech around the area, whereas 5-4 had you on higher altitudes like rooftops and jumping across flying car traffic, here you're on the streets and whatnot as a contrast to one another. There's few enemies here but tons of turf to climb on; we're basically facing a breather level here. There's a parked Arwing in the background of one section.

5-B: Alien Zoo. Here you make your way through an alien zoo that has accidentally let the animals run loose. Your job is to navigate the level while not getting mauled by the weird wildlife. A fun distraction, but still a dangerous stage.

5-5: High Speed. The journey through the city takes us to a large highway of flying cars, and you must traverse on these high speed vehicles while hopping from one to another. You can hold onto some, but you must move quickly and avoid being pushed off the vehicles and into the ground below, as you're very high up. Checkpoints can be found on the arches here, and the stage requires you to duck under some obstacles and / or incoming traffic, and among the flying cars you might notice some from other series. Enemies here are very scarce, but the ones that are tend to bounce you in a direction you don't wanna go in, like Up if there's cars flying right above your head, or Backwards.

5-6: Star Parade. Now that you've gotten off the highway you find a large parade happening around this part of the city, complete with fireworks, confetti, marching bands with large instruments and floats that you can bounce on, which you'll be using to navigate. You start the level by going down an elevator that obscures our view of the Kongs, and after it briefly scrolls down, the door opens and out emerges DK...on Rambi's back! You won't be going through this stage on foot; with Rambi's help you'll be stampeding through this parade, charging through billboards and bouncing off floats--most of the alien citizens will think it's part of the act anyway and you won't be hurting them. The enemy faction is who you will be hurting though, and you won't be alone, because the allies from 5-1 have arrived to save their city while you burst forward. They'll help you along the way as the usually do: throwing items toward you, creating platforms and stuff, and when you make it to the front of the parade you'll see both the final boss and his right hand man in the background; if you want you can stay at this part and watch in-game as they're exposed as the villains they are or just keep moving through the level. Either option is fine TBH, as once it's done the crowd will cheer and throw tons of bananas, coins, and balloons to you while the villains flee--which can't be prevented as there's a few more stages left, but the Kongs and the allies from 5-1 are seen as heroes in the city.

5-7: The Outskirts. With the city saved, 5-1's allies and the Kongs travel to a shady warehouse outside the city to find the final boss's hideaway. The level features an industrial setting with high-tech security, enemy heraldry and a handful of guard patrols as well as sentry bots. The level starts over an open field but takes place mainly within the warehouse; tight spaces and harrowing platforming is the king in this stage, and inside the Kongs also find as-of-yet dormant probes like the one that landed near DK Isle. As you go deeper into the facility you find a labyrinth that branches into multiple paths; you choose one and the allies go into the rest, all splitting up. Whichever you choose has different platforming segments, and at the end of each is a key. You take the key, return to where the paths split as everyone now has a key too and go through one more brief platforming segment that leads to a large vault with many keyholes. Everyone uses their key to unlock the vault and it opens to reveal a digital map of all the probes' destinations, showing the scope of the enemy faction's plan, which is to feed some very, VERY alien...thing. Suddenly the level shakes and an alarm sounds, but for what will be revealed on the next stage.

5-8: Launch Preparations. The final level of this Section. It turns out the warehouse from 5-7 was sitting on top of a giant mothership and it's preparing for takeoff. You must get to the control room and stop the main villain and his right hand man from launching into space, making this a timed level. The time limit is lax, but obstacles here are mainly meant to slow you down if not kill you, so there's segments with hatches attempting to close before you get through them and sentries that create sticky surfaces to immobilize you. An annoying hurdle for speedrunners, but there's bombs in the environment that you can throw if you get locked in a room to destroy the doors. Level ends near the control room.

5-Boss: As you reach the control room, you stand face-to-face with the final boss and his trusted comrade. The Elephant (final boss) and the Hyena (Section 5's boss) decide to both fight in a way that's similar to the Kongs, with the Elephant leading the charge and the Hyena on his back. After a few hits the duo use a new tactic by tag-teaming like the oldschool DKCs, but the inactive boss runs in the background and tries to attack you from there as you fight the active boss n the midground, each using different attack methods when they're tagged out and in. Eventually, the Elephant is forced to continue on to make sure their plan stays on track, as the Hyena fights to hold the line against the Kongs. Once the Hyena's defeated, the ship's takeoff controls are destroyed and you complete the boss stage.
Section 6: Cosmic Horror. You have traveled from your home planet, across the reaches of space, seen some crazy worlds, locales and environments then thwarted the villain's plan as well as help new allies reclaim their city. But something's amiss...the villain is still at large; he left the fight early to finish a final piece of an emergency plan. What could possibly be the endgame here? We'll know soon, as this Section of the game focuses on Lovecraftian ideas. It's more lovecraft lite TBH. Horrible monstrosities and places that simply shouldn't exist are the main theme here in this definite final section.

6-1: The Reveal. Picking up where the Boss Fight left off, the Kongs have chased the Elephant to the top of his mothership, where he flees in an escape pod with some contraption. He hovers off in the distance, deploys his device and a massive crater forms in the background under his device, as the planet shakes. You must traverse the level as structures crumble around you in an attempt to crush you. At the end of the stage you hear a massive monster's yawn. Something in that crater is...alive.

6-2: Awakening. As the...thing awakens from the massive crater in the background, the entire planet transforms its surface into a weird texture that seems to mimic the look of sand via a planet-wide earthquake followed by a shockwave so large it can be seen across the planet's horizon. You must outrun this shockwave, first by platforming along an obstacle course in the midground with a barrel at the end, then as you enter that barrel you're blasted to the foreground--which becomes the new midground--and you maneuver your way around some more hazards to a minecart and ride it, but with the camera facing the shockwave at an angle, like High Tide Ride's camera in reverse. While you're moving through the obstacles, the insta-death shockwave comes closer so you're somewhat on a time limit to get to the barrel. This sequence is pretty much Yoshi's Island's Final Boss battle, but as a platforming sequence and no way to fight back, just run. The cart section has you riding away in an on-rails segment that is a nod to Crash Bandicoot but with the DKC style.

6-3: Rogue Planet. The world has fully transformed into a massive orb with a sandy texture and a humongous crater that can be seen from orbit. What this planet has become is unsettling, and to make matters worse it has left its orbit for what appears to be a collision course with another planet. You travel through an underground cave while this is happening, and now that the planet has transformed into some spherical creature, the environment looks like some weird, living magical cave with a vast draw distance and tons of alien formations. What the Kongs are inside of is unknown, as the planet surely didn't look this...alien in Section 5. The level is full of strange phenomenon and odd light sources that overall have a very strange beauty to them, but it's still unsettling. A heavy platforming stage.

6-4: Linked Worlds. Now that the planet has caught up to another world a strange event has occurred: The transformed sphere has anchored itself to the other world with some odd rays of light that can best be described as a massively thick tether of webs, and the Kongs, who've had enough of what this planet is doing use the link between these spheres to escape this world, which is where the stage takes place. The colossal tether is made of some odd material and has platforms along it as well as never-before-seen enemies and harrowing obstacles. The background is the outer reaches of space and the stage is Upward-Diagonally oriented. As the Kongs reach the end of the stage, they board 5-1's Space Colony.

6-5: Approaching A Star. With the Kongs platforming on the space station, we finally have a normal level that makes sense again! This is a breather level that is much needed considering the past 4 levels' weirdness with standard challenging (relatively) segments and the like, but in the background you'll see in addition to outer space is the planet that was transformed, and more planets linked up to it, like a web of taken worlds. Whatever this thing is, it's expanding, but that's a problem for another stage. This level contains two secret paths that lead to more normal levels.

6-A: Exploring the Colony. On this stage you take a break from these "plot"-driven levels and fool around in the colony. There's no catastrophe in the background and no serious tone whatsoever; here you just enjoy platforming challenges and minigames while we pretend there's no need to beat the game any time soon. Meant to be a fun level--collect things in a time limit or navigate obstacle courses without getting hit for prizes.

6-B: A Strange Portal. Even more of an escapist level than 6-A, you find a portal that takes you to 3 sections that are each based off a level from the 1st 3 DKCs. Those levels being the Ice Cave from DKC 1, the Castle from DKC 2 and the Factory from DKC 3. These aren't remasters though--they're just new levels with a look and tone that resembles those stages, all fully rendered of course. Have fun.

6-6: Consuming A Sun. With the network of planets growing the Kongs take the fight to the final boss's mothership, which has been following the rogue worlds and infiltrate it. They fly a rocket barrel toward the ship dodging the usual obstacles such as space debris, asteroids and defense systems, and in the background you see all those linked planets as they've approached the star of their solar system. The planets all inhale the star into each sphere slowly while you traverse the level; they intend to drain the star for some unknown reason that cannot be good, and so you must thwart the villain before whatever this creature's plan is reaches completion

6-7: The Final Level. You've returned to the main antagonist's space station from 5-7 and 5-8. Now you must fight your way to the boss with Rambi's and the allies' assistance. You charge through defense systems and sentries at fullspeed letting nothing slow you down. It's like Meltdown Mayhem with an indoor spaceship aesthetic, full of enemy heraldry and screens depicting the creature in space draining the local sun and diagrams of potential planets. The grand finale, it all comes to this.

6-Boss: Finale. You reach the deck of the mothership, with a full view of this monstrous planet and its network still consuming the star. The final boss cutscene plays, and you get a glimpse of what's going on; the leader of the enemy faction you've been fighting the whole game has summoned a galactic monster to help him conquer the universe. Using probes he and his gang have launched onto alien worlds like DK's, he has given it enough food to awaken it on his own planet. The creature has then used said planet as a body, abandoned its orbit, and began to launch tethers onto other worlds, creating a near-literal web of spherical bodies to basically grow in size. These planets function as mouths as well thanks to the bottomless craters that can be seen from orbit; with enough mouths, the monstrosity moves toward a sun and then inhales the entire thing with each mouth. The energy taken from this sun will give it enough power to form an eye. With this eye, the abomination will see its surroundings and become intelligent, choosing where to go next throughout the universe, take more planets and eat more stars and grow even smarter with each newly formed eye. The main antagonist--the Elephant--has basically unleashed a sentient star system upon the universe, and hopes to tame it to radiate terror among all life.

Ignoring the vast stupidity of this plan, the Kongs are infuriated that their planet was used to feed this apocalypse, and so the battle begins more ferocious than ever before. The fight takes place aboard the ship with a wide view of outerspace and the monster in the far background. The color of space changes during each phase of the fight and the cosmic catastrophe in the background gets closer to finishing its meal, but the boss fight isn't timed as it's already hard enough as the Elephant will be throwing EVERYTHING he has to defeat you; the monster's progress responds to each phase of the fight as well, and the battle is both the finale and a sort of rematch--the Elephant has learned from the fight in Section 5 and has some tricks up his trunk. Beat him, and the game is finished.

ENDING: The Elephant is knocked out of the ship with a punch stronger than what DK used against Tiki Tong, and he lands into the maw of the galactic beast like a comet, causing it to exhale all that it took from the sun. Aboard the ship, the final piece of the Probes' shutdown mechanism is activated, reversing all the resources leeched from all the planets as the ship enters a meltdown. The Kongs set the ship on one last voyage straight to the monster's mouth and they escape before it reaches its destination. The ship creates a magical explosion inside the beast that eradicates it from every planet and returns all the worlds to normal, as the shockwave pushes them back to their orbits and original distances from the sun. The Kongs are viewed as galactic heroes among their new friends, and after much gratitude they return to their far off planet during the credits to find an even bigger homecoming party waiting for them. Their biggest adventure to date has been completed, and their world is more beautiful than ever.

THAT'S what I've come up with. Turned out to be harder than I'd hoped but I got through it; feedback is welcome, both positive, negative and neutral so don't be shy. Hopefully I didn't jump the shark with Section 6...

I guess you can't really call this Donkey Kong Country if you're not having the story take place on islands though....
Oh man, that was an epic read, and I loved it from start to finish!

I wish so much that this was a real game. This reads so much like a summary of a real product that I'd love to be able to put down a pre-order, now! :laugh:

I loved the little nods to other series, in there, such as the parked Arwing. The only thing missing was a nod to the Kirby series, since, in spite of its cute appearance, it, too, has dealt with plenty of disturbing galactic horror.

You took an idea that most would dismiss as a shark-jump moment ("IN SPACE!"), and turned it into something really compelling that did fresh new things, as opposed to what's usually expected from "Sequel IN SPACE!"-type games. Sterling work! :grin:

Last edited:

splat

Smash Lord
I knew I wasn't the only one making such a list. Great stuff! I love how you were able to make so many varied levels centred around one overarching theme.

I hope I'll be able to share my version soon!

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I knew I wasn't the only one making such a list. Great stuff! I love how you were able to make so many varied levels centred around one overarching theme.

I'll be looking forward to reading this one, too. :grin:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Oh man, that was an epic read, and I loved it from start to finish!

I wish so much that this was a real game. This reads so much like a summary of a real product that I'd love to be able to put down a pre-order, now! :laugh:

I loved the little nods to other series, in there, such as the parked Arwing. The only thing missing was a nod to the Kirby series, since, in spite of its cute appearance, it, too, has dealt with plenty of disturbing galactic horror.

You took an idea that most would dismiss as a shark-jump moment ("IN SPACE!"), and turned it into something really compelling that did fresh new things, as opposed to what's usually expected from "Sequel IN SPACE!"-type games. Sterling work! :grin:
Thank you, THANK YOU SO. VERY. MUCH for these kind words!! As I was typing up that post I was certain it would come off as some crazy shark-jumping concept that DKC should never touch, but this changed everything and I'm proud to have posted it. Seriously, thank you :D

I gotta admit though, I can't believe I forgot to give a nod to Kirby! I loved Super Star and you're right--he does face some crazy abominations that could wipe out planets so I'm gonna fix that by giving him a cameo in 3-4. Here it is:
As you ride along the constellation, you see in the distance a bright yellow star zooming past with a cute pink orb on the top of it. A small asteroid approaches in the background; the orb immediately jumps off the star, letting it impact the rock as it seamlessly hops onto another star. It's unknown who this pink puffball may be, but it seems to be foreshadowing the stage's mechanic with a demonstration...

Thanks splat, it was hard to think these things up but it was worth it, and I definitely look forward to your ideas as well!

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Thank you, THANK YOU SO. VERY. MUCH for these kind words!! As I was typing up that post I was certain it would come off as some crazy shark-jumping concept that DKC should never touch, but this changed everything and I'm proud to have posted it. Seriously, thank you :D
Hey, you're very welcome. :bee: It's clear that you're enthusiastic about the topics you were drawing from, and it really shows.

Honestly, I've always wanted to see a space-themed DKC title, but because the well-worn "IN SPACE!" tropes are so deeply-ingrained in popular culture, I actually always had a bit of a tricky time imagining how it would be done right. You just got it in one.

I just want to say that it was very well-realised, too. Honestly, I could easily imagine every detail of the game from beginning to end - it was kind of like watching a longplay or a Let's Play.

Also, I loved the little nod to "some pig sorcerer", too. That was great. :laugh:

I have one question, actually, which I forgot to ask before - would the Kongs have spacesuits, so as to survive some of the environments that they'd be traversing? :laugh:

I gotta admit though, I can't believe I forgot to give a nod to Kirby! I loved Super Star and you're right--he does face some crazy abominations that could wipe out planets so I'm gonna fix that by giving him a cameo in 3-4. Here it is:
As you ride along the constellation, you see in the distance a bright yellow star zooming past with a cute pink orb on the top of it. A small asteroid approaches in the background; the orb immediately jumps off the star, letting it impact the rock as it seamlessly hops onto another star. It's unknown who this pink puffball may be, but it seems to be foreshadowing the stage's mechanic with a demonstration...
Perfect - and it's very in-line with how games in Kirby's home-series tend to demonstrate things, to boot! :grin:

Top Bottom