• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I personally love Squitter the Spider the most in terms of Animal Buddies. Donkey Kong Country 3's level of Krack-Shot Kroc utilized Squitter's abilities greatly. The constant tension of avoiding incoming homing shots while also quickly and mentally utilizing his web platform ability made the level a masterpiece of platforming to me.

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I personally love Squitter the Spider the most in terms of Animal Buddies. Donkey Kong Country 3's level of Krack-Shot Kroc utilized Squitter's abilities greatly. The constant tension of avoiding incoming homing shots while also quickly and mentally utilizing his web platform ability made the level a masterpiece of platforming to me.
Same. Squitter is my favorite, followed by Squawks. As a kid, I spent a huge chunk of time searching for the bonus rooms in Web Woods in DKC2 that I grew to master Squitter's controls. It's super fun to speedrun levels that focus on him, and Krack-Shot Kroc is definitely one of the most memorable from DKC3 because of how it balances his controls with the constant threat of getting shot at.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
How would you guys react if we got Dixie added in the next Smash game...

as part of a Diddy/Dixie tag team like was originally planned for Brawl?

I mean, it's not unheard of for Sakurai to return to ideas that he's had in the past, and it's entirely possible that he wanted to do it in Smash 4 but couldn't because of the 3DS.

I mean, it's worth bringing up as a possibility, right?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

I mean, it's not unheard of for Sakurai to return to ideas that he's had in the past, and it's entirely possible that he wanted to do it in Smash 4 but couldn't because of the 3DS.

It could happen I suppose but Diddy has already established himself as a character for 2 smash games now, tacking dixie on and having diddy ditch one of his attacks for it would be odd. And since they'd have different movesets anyway there's not much reason to have them in the same slot. I'm sure there's other characters they could use if they wanted to revisit the tag team mechanic.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
It could happen I suppose but Diddy has already established himself as a character for 2 smash games now, tacking dixie on and having diddy ditch one of his attacks for it would be odd. And since they'd have different movesets anyway there's not much reason to have them in the same slot. I'm sure there's other characters they could use if they wanted to revisit the tag team mechanic.
Well, given how unbalanced Diddy ended up being with the banana peel, replacing down b with a character switch could be a possibility.

The only reason I bring it up as a genuine possibility is because DKC has the pair up mechanic as an integral part of the gameplay. If Sakurai wants to represent that part of the series, it makes perfect sense to do that with Dixie.

If it's too odd to use Diddy alongside Dixie, could Dixie + another Kong work? I think the tag team mechanic is an interesting one that could easily be revisited, but Dixie + Cranky isn't really a thing that's promoted often, Kiddy hasn't showed up in ages, and Funky was added to Tropical Freeze at a time that was likely past Sakurai's roster selection period.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Well, given how unbalanced Diddy ended up being with the banana peel, replacing down b with a character switch could be a possibility.

The only reason I bring it up as a genuine possibility is because DKC has the pair up mechanic as an integral part of the gameplay. If Sakurai wants to represent that part of the series, it makes perfect sense to do that with Dixie.

If it's too odd to use Diddy alongside Dixie, could Dixie + another Kong work? I think the tag team mechanic is an interesting one that could easily be revisited, but Dixie + Cranky isn't really a thing that's promoted often, Kiddy hasn't showed up in ages, and Funky was added to Tropical Freeze at a time that was likely past Sakurai's roster selection period.
To be fair the tag team mechanic hasn't been used in the series in decades anyway, it's not something that really needs representing anymore. If they wanted to go with a tag team character it doesn't have to be someone from DKC, off the top of my head I could see Rex and Pyra doing that maybe, there's probably more I can't think of

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
To be fair the tag team mechanic hasn't been used in the series in decades anyway, it's not something that really needs representing anymore. If they wanted to go with a tag team character it doesn't have to be someone from DKC, off the top of my head I could see Rex and Pyra doing that maybe, there's probably more I can't think of
Yeah, that's fair. But the series still includes having two characters for platforming in modern stuff.

Other than them, there's some more out-there choices like Midna and Wolf Link, Byte & Barq, Gooey & Rick, Lolo & Lala, Snip & Clip, Kat & Ana, and Banjo & Kazooie if they were ever to get in.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

The main problem with this would be the fact that they've only been paired once, and that was 23 years ago. In the 24 years that Diddy's been in existence, he's paired up with DK in 3 DKCs (1, Returns and TF), and even Mario spinoffs like Double Dash. Dixie's been paired up with Diddy just as much as she's been with DK: exactly once. DK and Diddy are much more iconic than Diddy and Dixie, and based on the amount of times they've been partnered it'd be more likely to have those two share a slot in a Banjo-Kazooie styled moveset than a monkey Ice Climbers.

Obviously that's not factoring the other problem of Diddy already being a fully-fledged character as is, plus pairing them up would bring a legit question regarding Sheik and Zelda being separate.

Spatman

Smash Ace

likely it would be very cool, but... this way I'd lose my main since ever. I prefer the idea to have diddy and dixie separated

...but idk, maybe in the timeline where diddy and dixie were a tag team since brawl they were an even funnier character

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime

Very unlikely to happen because of Diddy's popularity within the community. Then again, since when Nintendo cares about what fans like or dislike.

I would consider it both a waste of a potentially fun new solo character, a waste of Diddy's old moveset and really, it would make me think about how little the Donkey Kong series means for Nintendo. It is a very popular series that also sells very, very well and the most they could do is mess up a veteran rep instead of adding a third, new one?

Last edited:

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608

I don't think that's very likely due to Sakurai removing all "shared" character slots in smash 4 like Zelda/Shiek or Samus/Zero suit samus.
I want dixie and diddy to be separate characters now, dk deserves mooooore than two reps. I really can't wait for e3. I hope dixie and k.rool both get in. It's only logical isn't it?
I mean dixie because of tropical freeze and k.rool because of the ballot!

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Good news bad news

Bad news is I can not find my Dixie moveset, so I have to remake it. Shame.

Good news is I have been playing Tropical Freeze hard mode, So I am closer than ever to Dixie and Cranky. I wholeheartedly support Dixie and K Rool for smash 5.

Cart Boy

Smash Rookie
Hello, new friends! I've wanted to see Dixie Kong since the Brawl Dojo days, and her absence in 3DS/Wii U was one of my few disappointments with its roster. Here's hoping she finally gets her due!

Reila

Can we have this wonderful piece of music in Smash Switch if Dixie is playable?

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
So guys e3 is almost there, do you think we get Dixie or k.rool or both revealed? I don't want to wait any longer, I hope dixie and k.rool are directly shown in the first real trailer

Reila

No, I think we will get a third party character revealed. If Ridley is playable in the game, I think he would be more likely to be revealed at E3, too, but until and if he is revealed, he falls into the wishful thinking category to me.

I also don't know why you people are expecting both Dixie and K. Rool to be playable. Maybe they will be, which would be great, Smash devs would finally be giving DKC the recognition it deserves, but do but keep your expectations in check, We might not get either of them.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
So guys e3 is almost there, do you think we get Dixie or k.rool or both revealed? I don't want to wait any longer, I hope dixie and k.rool are directly shown in the first real trailer
If we're getting both I doubt they'll both be in the trailer. It makes more sense to reveal K Rool first since he's more popular and if he's in it's cause of the ballot. Dixie could be revealed later or be a secret character like Bowser jr. was

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Dixie, Elma and Isabelle as the top 3, noice
Dixie being number one makes a lot of sense. She is really deserving of the spot. I'd be a bid bummed out if she did not make the cut. While K. Rool has been my all time want since Brawl. I still think Dixie should really be in the roster. I don't care if she ends up being a semi-clone, like Wolf. A true clone she will never be, and because of the semi-clone, I could see her not taking too much developement time, and actually end up in the game towards the release.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Dixie being number one makes a lot of sense. She is really deserving of the spot. I'd be a bid bummed out if she did not make the cut. While K. Rool has been my all time want since Brawl. I still think Dixie should really be in the roster. I don't care if she ends up being a semi-clone, like Wolf. A true clone she will never be, and because of the semi-clone, I could see her not taking too much developement time, and actually end up in the game towards the release.
Yeah, given her relevance and her popularity I'd be super disappointed if they chose K Rool over her rather than in addition to her.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Honestly, I'd love a trailer with both coming together. I'd be in heaven.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I mean almost any important character from Nintendo is in smash, I feel like Dixie and K.Rool are really missing from the roster and they should've been included in smash bros melee already, a time when dk was extremely popular.
I had a discussion a week ago with someone here regarding fire emblem vs DK. He said that the DK series lacked relevancy and that the dk series is volatile. I tried to explain to him why I think that the dk series needs more reps, but we were talking past each other to be honest. He said that Fire emblem has always been a flagship franchise since it's first title in 1990. For me personally, I grew up in the 90's, and I knew Nintendo for Super Mario, DK, Zelda, Kirby, even F-Zero and Star Fox and I didn't know fire emblem even existed until smash bros melee came out. So fire emblem never was a flagship series to me. We were talking about sales and such and I noticed that even the most successful fire emblem title sold a little more than 2mio copies and that on the 3ds, which has a very big install base. So DK tropical freeze on WiiU sold almost 2mio copies, but we all know that the WiiU was a flop and a hindrance for every game on it. What I want to say is that DK is still way bigger than fe in terms of sales and prominence. So if fire emblem has gotten all those characters in one smash game, why can't we get two DK characters, who are popular, known and wanted by many people and who are ong overdue?

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Honestly, I'd love a trailer with both coming together. I'd be in heaven.
I've pictured in my head how this could go and how it would break the Smash fandom.

It's nice to see more people these days in support of both Dixie and K. Rool even when most prefer one over the other.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
****, yes please!! a masterpiece!
Seriously! I think pretty much any track from Tropical Freeze could be put into Smash. Busted Bayou. Alpine Incline. Seashore War. And I really wanna see Aquatic Ambiance finally make it in!

On a similar note, I hope the DK reps get an updated victory theme. Something about the Brawl/Smash 4 one feels off. Maybe something more like the bonus room victory theme.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Oh Dixie. Dear, darling Dixie.....

...For years, the unsung third hero of the legendary DKC franchise that, along with other big names like Toad, K. Rool & Ridley, was constantly denied a special invitation, never getting an opportunity to show her stuff in what is undoubtedly gaming's ultimate kingmaker....

....Well I, Foolhardy Son of a Shepard, will stand by no longer, as I wish to show my support for one of the remaining Nin-titans not in Smash, in the name of ALL THAT IS JUSTICE ON THIS WIDE, WONDROUS, EARTH!!! *thunder roars in the sky*

ahem....... So. Can I be on the list?

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
Seriously! I think pretty much any track from Tropical Freeze could be put into Smash. Busted Bayou. Alpine Incline. Seashore War. And I really wanna see Aquatic Ambiance finally make it in!

On a similar note, I hope the DK reps get an updated victory theme. Something about the Brawl/Smash 4 one feels off. Maybe something more like the bonus room victory theme.

yes, it would make much sense

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I've pictured in my head how this could go and how it would break the Smash fandom.

It's nice to see more people these days in support of both Dixie and K. Rool even when most prefer one over the other.
Agreed, but it's true, with the current line-up, Dixie and K. Rool are some of the most prominent All-Stars, both deseves to be inn.
I'd say the next best villain and the next best female picks for this Smash, without a doubt.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
My Switch just came in, hopefully Tropical Freeze will follow! Ordered them in a bundle. This will keep me occupied till E3 at least! :D

Shamefully because of the buddy system, I doubt I'll be playing Dixie a lot. Because Diddy needs my love first of all. So excuse me at that, Diddy is already considered the worst Kong buddy in the game, so I have no choice but to use him exclusively.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Dixie.
Yep, she gets my support as well. My second most wanted female fighter next to Krystal.

I say her chances are pretty decent, though that ain't say she can't co-exist with K.Rool.

Worst case scenario is she's a Diddy semi-clone while K.Rool gets the unique moveset but there can be ways to give her interesting moves such as her hair and bubble gum.

Support granted.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Sugarwatermixlegit Sugarwatermixlegit , Cart Boy Cart Boy , Ed-boy Ed-boy and Dee Dude Dee Dude are now on the Support List! Welcome to all of you; glad to see new Supporters so close to E3!

SeashoreWar SeashoreWar and Reila Reila those music selections remind me of the music section in the OP. LMK if there's any music y'all would like featured in the OP.

Just thought I'd share this here, no surprise at all for our gal.

Loved the vid! Glad to see Dixie getting attention and not being passed off as "Female Diddy." Good stuff.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Finally got around to picking up Tropical Freeze on Switch. Can't wait to play as Dixie again (and try out Funky mode)!

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
They've also put up this video...

I'm real tired of this attitude tbh, I'll just copy and paste what I commented here lol

"Honestly my major issue with this is that while Diddy's moveset could mostly work with Dixie, it doesn't feel like it would fit her character AT ALL. Diddy is meant to be this mischievous, hyperactive chimp, in contrast dixie is a lot more laid back than Diddy is, I just can't see her pulling out bananas and slapping and jumping on people, especially since in the DKC games, EVERYTHING dixie does relies on her hair. Gliding, attacking, picking up objects, all of it is done with her hair which would make her less of a physical fighter, using her hair heavily in normals would make her distinct thanks to the added range. Dixie in the DKC games is also heavily based on being in the air, and being able to use her hair to more easily manoeuvre in the air and using that to take on platforming challenges, this would translate into smash with the glide similar to peach and a moveset that is stronger in the air but much weaker on the ground. The grappler idea is also one that fits Dixie perfectly, she uses her hair to pick up objects in DKC and having grabs and command grabs be a big part of her moveset just fits her character.

Using Diddy as a base but changing all her moves like they did Wolf makes more sense than adding her as a complete clone for no reason. The idea that Dixie HAS to be a clone because her body is similar is an outdated and stupid argument."

Last edited:

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Yeah the whole video bothered me. Especially the silhouette argument. I mean he even brings up himself that the argument doesn't apply to everyone on the roster. And I think you can tell a difference between Dixie and Diddy...

Plus, it's something Sakurai said in 2008 and everybody knows how much he changes his mind on things lol.

Top Bottom