• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Well, for a mascot fighter where people want to see their favorites fight, Corrin was an awful choice. Corrin was nobody's favorite. Dixie would have been better, at least even if she was partly promotional, she had a history and a fanbase to please. Corrin had investors to please. What a bad choice!
Female Corrin was actually pretty hugely popular among Fates players. Just another reason she should have been the default. No one likes male Corrin.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think Dixie missed out mostly because of Tropical Freeze's timing. Even without the port to Switch, I think she was always highly considered. It also didn't help that Smash 4 didn't add any new semi-clone characters, much to my surprise as Brawl was full of them. The newest semi-clone was Roy, and that was because he was a highly requested veteran. If Smash 4 took a more similar approach to Brawl, Dixie was a no brainer.

It all comes down to the fact that Diddy was such a late addition. If he was just added to Melee, as he should've, Dixie would more than likely appear in Brawl as the token DKC newcomer. Then again, I would doubt that the outcry for King K.Rool would have ever gotten as large as K.Rool only became hugely popular after Diddy finally got in Smash.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Female Corrin was actually pretty hugely popular among Fates players. Just another reason she should have been the default. No one likes male Corrin.

I see what you're saying but their popularity came after Corrin was included in Smash Brothers and the game came out internationally. So I don't really think that's relevant when discussing their inclusion because their inclusion predates all that.

The fact of the matter is that Corrin was added before most of the world even got to play their game. They were added essentially to promote that new game. I think this heavy handed, mostly-done-for-promotion sucks. I'd rather see the smash roster lean towards characters people actually want to see included. Corrin, barely new in Japan and an unknown internationally, was not that. They were not more wanted than characters like King K. Rool and Dixie. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

There's a balance to strike and Corrin is at the far end of that balance where their promotional value stands out too much in relation to how much people actually cared about the character at the time of inclusion.

Heck, even with Fire Emblem, who as a series has benefited from these promotional moves, it's partly a curse. It seems that the FE fanbase might have limited say in what characters get added even as the roster count balloons. I'd rather have them move away from adding almost purely promotional characters and instead look more at fan requests, including from FE, including from "non-relevant" FE games and FE games that already have representation in the game. But the tradeoff is that franchises like FE shouldn't get a new character simply because a new game in the pipeline exists.

Corrin was an anti-fan choice. I'm not against promotional value but Corrin was too much.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
@Nintenzilla *Reboot* welcome back! You've been a supporter for a while now so I've updated the list with your Rebooted usnername. Good to hear from you.

I was bored, so I expanded my moveset to a full concept. I slightly edited the specials, so this is the most up-to-date concept for everything.

Dixie Kong

Properties:
Weight - Light, similar to Pikachu
Dash Speed - Average, similar to Rosalina
Air Acceleration - Max, like Palutena/Rosalina
Air Speed - Good, a few points under Wario
Jump Height - Similar to Diddy

Normals:

On the ground: Dixie isn't the most mobile on the ground; she has a pretty defensive playstyle using her hair to poke, wall out, and grab opponents. She can use her aerial mobility to help offset this if she needs to move around fast and get around projectile camping. At low percents, her goal is to get her opponents into the air to extend combos and rack up damage; at high percents, she can use her grabs (fsmash and bthrow) to kill.

Jab: 3-hit combo. Dixie does two slaps and punches her opponent away. Low damage and knockback, but is fast and a decent get-off-me tool.

Ftilt: Dixie leans against her hair and kicks forward. Low damage and knockback.

Utilt: Dixie sweeps her hair around her in a quick counterclockwise motion, similar to Greninja and sword characters. Low knockback, but fast, disjointed, and can link into itself a few times like Toon Link.

Dtilt: Dixie whips her hair in front of her. Fast and decent poke, but low damage and knockback.

Fsmash: Dixie coils inward and throws her hair out in front of her. Upon hit, Dixie grabs her opponent and spins them around her once before throwing them away at a horizontal angle. On whiff, it has punishable endlag. This is Dixie's strongest kill move, but is risky.

Usmash: 2-hit combo. Dixie faces the screen and crouches low, spins her hair along the ground once (1st hit), and whips it upward (2nd hit). 1st hit sends opponents into 2nd. Relatively low knockback, but sends opponents into disadvantage for aerial followups.

Dsmash: Dixie does a handstand and rapidly spins her hair below her. 6-hit combo on either side, and last hit knocks opponents away with decent knockback and good damage.

Dash Attack: Pirouette attack from Tropical Freeze. Dixie spins rapidly and collides into opponents with her body. Singular hit with decent knockback.

Grab: Dixie reels her head back quickly and whips her hair forward, grabbing her opponent and holding them in front of her. Tether grab with similar framedata to Lucas' grab.

Pummel: Dixie slaps her opponent.

Fthrow: Barrel throw animation from DKC2. Dixie reels her head back and throws her opponent forward. Decent knockback and damage.

Bthrow: Dixie slams her opponent on the ground behind her, using the force to flip over them and throw them behind her. Strong kill throw.

Uthrow: Dixie turns toward the screen and reels her head up, throwing her opponents skyward. Low end lag and sets up for aerial followups.

Dthrow: Dixie jumps and throws her opponent into the ground beneath her, sending them slightly behind her. Leads into aerial followups at low percents.

In the air: Dixie has two midair jumps to aid with air combos and to mix up her landing, as her weight and lack of safe landing aerials can make her struggle a bit to get out of disadvantage. She has fast aerial acceleration and good top air speed, giving her great aerial mobility. She is floaty with high gravity, so she stays in the air for a bit before falling down fast, similar to Palutena. Her aerial game is mainly for extending combos and general movement, as her aerials don't have a lot of kill power.

Nair: Dixie kicks to either side of her. First hit (in front of Dixie) is fast with decent knockback and damage, but is more for knocking opponents away than comboing. Second hit has kill power. Comes out fast and has low landing lag, but punishable on shield due to its short range.

Fair: Dixie kicks upwards in front of her. Fast, low knockback, and hits with a vertical angle that links into itself with a midair jump at low/mid percents. Low landing lag, but punishable on shield.

Bair: Dixie sweeps her hair behind her in a vertical motion. Similar to Mewtwo's bair, but slightly faster and less range. Can be linked into itself or another aerial at low percents.

Uair: Dixie faces the screen and sweeps her hair above her in a counter-clockwise half-circle motion, similar to Marth/Lucina. Low landing lag, so can link into itself if used before landing.

Dair: Dixie faces the screen and whips her hair downward. The tip of the ponytail has a weak spike hitbox, and the middle/base knocks opponents away at a horizontal angle with decent knockback. Disjointed and fast.

Zair: Dixie quickly whips her hair forward. Low knockback, range (around Lucas's zair), and damage compared to other zairs, but good for poking. Tethers to the ledge.

Specials:

Neutral: Bubblegum Popgun - Dixie fires a small, fast projectile that bounces a couple of times along the ground like in TF. It has similar versatility to Mario's fireball, but less damage. Decent for conditioning reflectors/shields.

Side: Chimp Cyclone - Command grab. Dixie spins horizontally while moving forward and grabs an opponent with her hair before throwing them forward. Goes into special fall on whiff. Good for stage control, recovering from the ledge against a shielding opponent, or edgeguarding (though, a bit risky). Punishable endlag on the ground.

Up: Helicopter Spin - Dixie spins her hair so fast that she soars upward with a windbox below her. She has a hitbox on her hair going up that can knock opponents away. She slows her spin after a second and transitions into her iconic spinning animation from DKC2-3 and slowly descends with faster air speed than normal. She can cancel this animation into an airdodge/aerial.

Down: Guitar Blast - Dixie strums her guitar, emitting a small shockwave around her that briefly stuns opponents. Short range (around Jigglypuff's Sing), punishable endlag on whiff, and can be blocked, so it's best to use for dodge reads, footstool followups, or whiff punishes.
Excellent post, Seth! I gotta admit I really like the normals here; they show uses for Dixie's hair that I wouldn't have even thought of, like the Up Smash. I've updated your entry in the OP. Thanks for sharing!

I think Dixie missed out mostly because of Tropical Freeze's timing. Even without the port to Switch, I think she was always highly considered. It also didn't help that Smash 4 didn't add any new semi-clone characters, much to my surprise as Brawl was full of them. The newest semi-clone was Roy, and that was because he was a highly requested veteran. If Smash 4 took a more similar approach to Brawl, Dixie was a no brainer.

It all comes down to the fact that Diddy was such a late addition. If he was just added to Melee, as he should've, Dixie would more than likely appear in Brawl as the token DKC newcomer. Then again, I would doubt that the outcry for King K.Rool would have ever gotten as large as K.Rool only became hugely popular after Diddy finally got in Smash.
No offense Diddy, but I really wanna know why you're sure she'd be a clone. Is it because she looks like she could be her boyfriend's twin sister? I remember yeeeears ago, during the post-Brawl speculation when we argued about her looks; if I'm not mistaken we were both confident she wouldn't be a clone, and I came along and said we (her fans) wouldn't have to defend her from those assumptions if Rare put more effort into her design. You disagreed, saying that she looked nothing like Diddy to begin with. Do you remember that discussion? What changed in those years?

I'm gonna assume you do think that she looks like her man, and correct me if I'm wrong, but also tell me why you're confident her fate is semi-clone at best. In every DKC, none of the Kong duos play like each other, and that was especially true for Dixie back in the SNES days since she stood out more than DK (the slow heavy-hitter) and Diddy (the fast weakling) did amongst each other. Even her trophy descriptions put some emphasis on her specialties, so the Smash teams see enough of a distinction in her to point out often in each game since Melee. And quite honestly, we can't exactly go by the "She looks like Diddy, therefore a clone" when we've got a Bowser Jr who has nothing in common with his dad.

I doubt we can use the "K. Rool gets priority, so if Dixie's in we'd need her to be a last-minute clone" logic either, because from my most objective prediction, if we're getting them both it's for two different reasons. K. Rool would get in thanks to the ballot AKA fan demand and Dixie would thanks to Tropical Freeze. Those circumstances are independent of each other and wouldn't cripple either's chances despite being from the same series, but even if Time Constraints does harm them I again have to point to Bowser Junior. According to this article, Bowser's favorite kid was on the verge of being cut, leaving Rosalina as the only new Mario character and yet they still made Bowser's Luigi have his own unique moveset.

Now obviously I've got a bias for wanting Dixie to have a non-clone moveset even if it's nothing like the one I drew up, but I'd rather hope for something that doesn't reuse an existing moveset. I'll be the first to eat crow and accept her being a clone but I see no harm in speculating otherwise. Why are you confident that she'd be a clone?

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
One idea I had was Dixie using her hair to latch onto people like a chain. So let's say she's falling off the stage and she's fallen so far that even her normal recovery can't get her up. She could use her hair to latch onto another character making their way up and piggyback her way up by wrapping her hair around their leg or something.

Another idea I had is for Dixie to reach into her hair (yes her hair) and throw out bubble gum balls that would roll across the stage like marbles. They would be like a moving banana peel in that characters walking while the balls roll underneath them would trip.

She could also use her hair as a way to catch status effects from opponent attacks. Like maybe it extends upwards and like an arc over her, acting like a protective shield. If a character like Bowser, for example, breathes fire on her hair, her hair catches on fire and she use that fire on her hair to her own advantage, hitting opponents with a flaming ponytail. Probably smells terrible.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
One idea I had was Dixie using her hair to latch onto people like a chain. So let's say she's falling off the stage and she's fallen so far that even her normal recovery can't get her up. She could use her hair to latch onto another character making their way up and piggyback her way up by wrapping her hair around their leg or something.

Another idea I had is for Dixie to reach into her hair (yes her hair) and throw out bubble gum balls that would roll across the stage like marbles. They would be like a moving banana peel in that characters walking while the balls roll underneath them would trip.

She could also use her hair as a way to catch status effects from opponent attacks. Like maybe it extends upwards and like an arc over her, acting like a protective shield. If a character like Bowser, for example, breathes fire on her hair, her hair catches on fire and she use that fire on her hair to her own advantage, hitting opponents with a flaming ponytail. Probably smells terrible.
Oooh I like this status-effect idea. Imagine her taking the electricity from Pikachu to whip her hair around with shock-properties, or a PK Freeze gone awry allows her hair to have sweeping frost properties! I wonder what'd happen for things like lasers though; would her hair turn to some sort of plasma tentacle? Man it's easy to go crazy with this idea; I can see water attacks making her hair heavy, thus making it pack even more of a punch than before. Imagine the force behind it...

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
A lot of attention has been given to what the Zelda character designs would look like ever since we saw BOTW Link, since the design changes are so drastic in between games. But this is kind of an open question for the DK series, as well, though to a lesser degree. The DKC characters have "Nintendo/Paon" designs as well as Rare era designs. What design do you guys think they would go for if Dixie is added?

After all, Dixie in Tropical Freeze, her most recent major appearance, is sporting her Nintendo look. She lacks kneepads, doesn't have her nails painted, her head is more "round" or squished, her beret seems smaller, her snout seems different, her fur is lighter.

Compare to Rare design.
I personally would want a composite design that leans toward the Rare design overall, keeps her face, beret, and kneepads from that model. But I would carry over the lighter fur, the lack of colored nails, and reduced eye make up.

If they go for the Nintendo model, it might actually look a bit odd since Smash seems to base DK and Diddy's designs on their old Rare look. If K. Rool is added, I also imagine he'd be sporting the Rare look, the look he is best remembered by and what the Mii costume is based on. So I kind of think we won't be seeing Dixie look like her Tropical Freeze incarnation. I think she is most likely to match the others. Maybe I'm wrong.

What do you guys think?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
A lot of attention has been given to what the Zelda character designs would look like ever since we saw BOTW Link, since the design changes are so drastic in between games. But this is kind of an open question for the DK series, as well, though to a lesser degree. The DKC characters have "Nintendo/Paon" designs as well as Rare era designs. What design do you guys think they would go for if Dixie is added?

After all, Dixie in Tropical Freeze, her most recent major appearance, is sporting her Nintendo look. She lacks kneepads, doesn't have her nails painted, her head is more "round" or squished, her beret seems smaller, her snout seems different, her fur is lighter.

Compare to Rare design.

I personally would want a composite design that leans toward the Rare design overall, keeps her face, beret, and kneepads from that model. But I would carry over the lighter fur, the lack of colored nails, and reduced eye make up.

If they go for the Nintendo model, it might actually look a bit odd since Smash seems to base DK and Diddy's designs on their old Rare look. If K. Rool is added, I also imagine he'd be sporting the Rare look, the look he is best remembered by and what the Mii costume is based on. So I kind of think we won't be seeing Dixie look like her Tropical Freeze incarnation. I think she is most likely to match the others. Maybe I'm wrong.

What do you guys think?
Tbh I can't tell the difference between the rare dk and the current dk

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage

Compare to Rare design.

What do you guys think?
I dunno; there's not a real precedent for this, as DK and Diddy still look the same as they did on the SNES. Given that DK and Diddy have a lot of their animations based on the original DKC trilogy, they might follow suit with Dixie. If that's the case, then they'd be looking at her design from those games and might prefer to model her in that style. However, given that the SNES trilogy was likely the best source to look at when designing both DK and Diddy, that might have been why they are animated so similarly to those games. Since Dixie has both the classic games and Tropical Freeze to look at, my logic could apply in the latter case as well. If I had to guess, I'd say they'd go with her modern look, unless they care that much about art style consistency.

Regardless, I think that Dixie looks mostly the same to her SNES days aside from a few changes, so imo it's almost negligible. I think the biggest change that she's had over time is in her overall personality and animations; she's portrayed in a very genki/kawaii sort of way these days, compared to her cool-headed sassy personality from the SNES trilogy-Donkey Konga era. I'd personally be more interested in what personality type they'd choose to represent. But, that's just me.

Troykv

Smash Master

Compare to Rare design.

What do you guys think?
I like you idea, I'm a fan of more complex designs, but the make up and colored nails doesn't appeal to me in the slightest way.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I dunno; there's not a real precedent for this, as DK and Diddy still look the same as they did on the SNES. Given that DK and Diddy have a lot of their animations based on the original DKC trilogy, they might follow suit with Dixie. If that's the case, then they'd be looking at her design from those games and might prefer to model her in that style. However, given that the SNES trilogy was likely the best source to look at when designing both DK and Diddy, that might have been why they are animated so similarly to those games. Since Dixie has both the classic games and Tropical Freeze to look at, my logic could apply in the latter case as well. If I had to guess, I'd say they'd go with her modern look, unless they care that much about art style consistency.

Regardless, I think that Dixie looks mostly the same to her SNES days aside from a few changes, so imo it's almost negligible. I think the biggest change that she's had over time is in her overall personality and animations; she's portrayed in a very genki/kawaii sort of way these days, compared to her cool-headed sassy personality from the SNES trilogy-Donkey Konga era. I'd personally be more interested in what personality type they'd choose to represent. But, that's just me.
Yeah, the good thing is that her spunkiness isn't totally gone. I think some idle animations in TF have her rocking out. But I do agree that she has been made cuter, same for Diddy. I kinda wish they stuck more closely with the 'tude from the Rare games. It makes the characters stand out more.

I hope she gets to rock out in her victory animation, for example. Headbang with her ponytail. I'd be disappointed if she just did some sort of twirl that would look like something coming from Princess Peach.

But I think her face is different enough to notice and kind of goes in line with her personality change. Her SNES design looks less "genki" as you put it compared to the modern design, which seems to lend itself more to that personality IMO.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Yeah, the good thing is that her spunkiness isn't totally gone. I think some idle animations in TF have her rocking out. But I do agree that she has been made cuter, same for Diddy. I kinda wish they stuck more closely with the 'tude from the Rare games. It makes the characters stand out more.

I hope she gets to rock out in her victory animation, for example. Headbang with her ponytail. I'd be disappointed if she just did some sort of twirl that would look like something coming from Princess Peach.

But I think her face is different enough to notice and kind of goes in line with her personality change. Her SNES design looks less "genki" as you put it compared to the modern design, which seems to lend itself more to that personality IMO.
I'm gonna be pissed if they don't use this in a taunt and/or victory animation

Honestly I much prefer the new design, the lighter fur looks nicer and the makeup and painted toenails are just weird. Her personality is a lot more cutesy I guess but I'd say it's mostly that the DKC series in general has become a lot more cutesy, it applies to DK too, and look at the snowmads compared to the kremlings etc etc

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage

Definitely. I've gotten used to the new portrayal since I played the first Mario Baseball game with my buddy back in the day, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss Dixie's Rare personality. She seemed like a punk rocker who didn't take crap from anyone (at least until she encountered a boss or took damage). If I had a say in how to direct her animations and personality in Smash, I'd go with the SNES games.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Donkey and Diddy didn't change at all, so they still look like in the old days. Dixie however, I dunno, I think they should really go back to her old design. She is no princess peach who is always polite and cute. Even tiny kong now seems to have that laid-back personality.
Maybe Nintendo thought that dixie should be more kawaii because she is Diddy's girlfriend??

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Donkey and Diddy didn't change at all, so they still look like in the old days. Dixie however, I dunno, I think they should really go back to her old design. She is no princess peach who is always polite and cute. Even tiny kong now seems to have that laid-back personality.
Maybe Nintendo thought that dixie should be more kawaii because she is Diddy's girlfriend??
Maybe; Dixie wears all pink and looks very feminine, so they could have felt it was a natural way to go. Additionally, Diddy definitely became more animated and monkey-like from DK64 into the GC era, so that direction could have influenced the team that designed her in Mario Superstar Baseball (this is the game where Dixie started acting more cutesey and cheeky iirc).

EDIT: I do disagree with her modern depiction being polite and passive, however. If you look at the cutscenes from Tropical Freeze, Dixie's expressions and attitudes are more in line with Diddy and Cranky.
She gets angry and has explosive outbursts, which makes sense for a monkey. She may be more giggly and excited than the others when you beat a level or bonus stage, but I don't think she's like Peach in personality. If she were comparable to a Mario princess, I'd say she's closer to Daisy then Peach.

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
I definitely like the Rare designs more for all of the characters.
But as for Dixie, the change didn't bother me as much as for the others.
It's kinda annoying to me that her hair that come out at the front of the hat aren't thin anymore and all the other details are gone, but she still mostly looks the same.
I think what bothers me the most besides not having her kneepads is her beret being too round (one edge should be pointier like the original design has).
Overall she still looks like Dixie (herself) with a few small annoyances, but nothing too bad. The others are worse off (mostly K. Rool and Candy, but DK doesn't look like his normal self as well (weird fur and huge arms, his head also doesn't look like the Rare design..), and Diddys animations are made much worse (walk/run/roll..), he's too "thin" and moves too "fluidly"..).

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
SethTheMage SethTheMage :
So her personality was a little altered to match Nintendo's ideas how they think a blonde-haired, pink wearing female monkey should act. I agree that her personality didn't change that drastically but why did they change her design that way and why did they give tiny kong a complete "overhaul" which seems to reflect Dixie's personality better. It seems like tiny is the older one now

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
It will be very surprising if Dixie not playable in smash launch to promote Tropical Freeze Port. And K Rool should be alongside with Dixie for fan service. It will be very similar how Robin and Lucina got in smash 4. I want Dixie and K Rool in smash sense Melee I'm a huge fan of DKC series.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
It will be very surprising if Dixie not playable in smash launch to promote Tropical Freeze Port. And K Rool should be alongside with Dixie for fan service. It will be very similar how Robin and Lucina got in smash 4. I want Dixie and K Rool in smash sense Melee I'm a huge fan of DKC series.
Idk about promoting a tropical freeze port cause that's not how character selection is done, but tropical freeze was still released at a great time to be considered for a character regardless, I would be shocked if she isn't in.

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
Well it was just a thought but I think that doesn't matter because Nintendo wants to try to forget about the Wii U era. It could increase Dixie chances in smash 5.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Well it was just a thought but I think that doesn't matter because Nintendo wants to try to forget about the Wii U era. It could increase Dixie chances in smash 5.
Who says nintendo wants to forget about the wii u era? This game is going to be largely be based on characters from the wii u era, characters that had games between 2012-2016, that's the only way it can be lol

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
No Nintendo wants to forget that the Wii U ever exist. Thats what I was trying to say. And Nintendo has been porting their games in the second quarter year.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
No Nintendo wants to forget that the Wii U ever exist. Thats what I was trying to say. And Nintendo has been porting their games in the second quarter year.
But no one has said they are, and even if they are trying to forget it that's not going to affect character choices, they can't and won't add characters that were released after 2016 cause that's not how sakurai handles smash development and never has

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
SethTheMage SethTheMage :
So her personality was a little altered to match Nintendo's ideas how they think a blonde-haired, pink wearing female monkey should act. I agree that her personality didn't change that drastically but why did they change her design that way and why did they give tiny kong a complete "overhaul" which seems to reflect Dixie's personality better. It seems like tiny is the older one now
If I had to guess when it comes to Tiny, I'd say her redesign was to make her look reflect her weight class in the DS remake of Diddy Kong Racing. She and Dixie were both chosen (likely because they have the closest relation to Diddy) to replace the two Rare characters who became their own franchises (Conker and Banjo), and neither Dixie nor Tiny's DK64 design were big or tall enough to make sense in Banjo's role as a midweight. As to why they chose Tiny and not Dixie for this change, maybe it was because Dixie's design had already been established across multiple games and paired well with Diddy. Though, I agree that the redesign is pretty odd. It makes Tiny have a unique identity and look when she appears alongside Dixie, but she now embodies neither her namesake nor her status as Dixie's younger sister.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'm sorry but where is this "Dixie's personality has changed" coming from?

I hate to say this guys but it's not like DK, Diddy, and Dixie's personalities were very complex or super duper well defined in the original trilogy. These are cartoon 2D platformers in the SNES era. What do you expect? These protagonists had pretty much no dialogue so you mostly had to interpret their personality from their animations. So what animations did Dixie have? Aside from her platforming abilities:
She chews bubblegum.
She drinks from juice boxes.
She jams on the guitar.
And she cries when she gets hit.

If you were to look at those animations your first impression would be... She's a kid. A fun loving, cool kid. I don't really see her being "sassy". Maybe a little. But a lot of it is loose enough that people can interpret her in a number of ways.

Now we have modern Dixie and her "new personality". Studying her animations in the new game, I really can't see how anything is a betrayal of her old character. Both seem like fun loving kids.

And I know, I know. She has some dialogue at the end of DKC3 demonstrating her sassiness. But that's about all you really have... Maybe some manual stuff too.

And no this is not an attempt to insult Dixie. I love the girl and I'm rooting for her. But to act like she's super different from her old games is silly.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
I always saw Dixie as someone that loves adventure, is somewhat energetic and maybe slightly rebellious.

I dunno, I think she's great in Tropical Freeze. The fact she's constantly happy is hilarious, like she's having the time of her life throughout that game lol. I don't think they Peachified her at all.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I'm sorry but where is this "Dixie's personality has changed" coming from?

I hate to say this guys but it's not like DK, Diddy, and Dixie's personalities were very complex or super duper well defined in the original trilogy. These are cartoon 2D platformers in the SNES era. What do you expect? These protagonists had pretty much no dialogue so you mostly had to interpret their personality from their animations. So what animations did Dixie have? Aside from her platforming abilities:
She chews bubblegum.
She drinks from juice boxes.
She jams on the guitar.
And she cries when she gets hit.

If you were to look at those animations your first impression would be... She's a kid. A fun loving, cool kid. I don't really see her being "sassy". Maybe a little. But a lot of it is loose enough that people can interpret her in a number of ways.

Now we have modern Dixie and her "new personality". Studying her animations in the new game, I really can't see how anything is a betrayal of her old character. Both seem like fun loving kids.

And I know, I know. She has some dialogue at the end of DKC3 demonstrating her sassiness. But that's about all you really have... Maybe some manual stuff too.

And no this is not an attempt to insult Dixie. I love the girl and I'm rooting for her. But to act like she's super different from her old games is silly.
I can respect where you're coming from. Objectively speaking, there isn't a lot that tells about Dixie's personality jn the SNES games, and it probably was that vagueness that allowed me to project a personality onto her. I just feel a difference in how she was animated then compared to now. Personally, I don't think her current depection is bad in any way; just different. At the end of the day, I'm glad that she's back in the spotlight.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I can respect where you're coming from. Objectively speaking, there isn't a lot that tells about Dixie's personality jn the SNES games, and it probably was that vagueness that allowed me to project a personality onto her. I just feel a difference in how she was animated then compared to now. Personally, I don't think her current depection is bad in any way; just different. At the end of the day, I'm glad that she's back in the spotlight.
This...
I just liked her old design better, she looks a bit too cute now. I still love Dixie though and she is my favorite DK character right behind DK himself :-)

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
No, I'm with you. And so are other people in this thread. We see the difference, too.

Yes, it's true Dixies personality wasn't that deep in the SNES games. That doesn't mean it wasn't there. It's kind of weird how "being a kid" is being equated to being feminine. Maybe both portrayals of Dixie are that of a "kid", but kids, including girls, can be spunky just as some are more "kawaii" as modern Dixie seems to be.

I personally love Dixie. But I will say that while I do not find Dixie's current portrayal bad, I think it could be improved. Some of the new idle animations are great in this regard. I do hope though Smash leans harder toward her most famous games, the original DKC series, in showing her personality.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I liked her b roll in original dkc games more( I hope they use it for smash as her dash attack), don't know why retro changed that into a piroutte. Donkey and Diddy still have their original b roll moves...

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I liked her b roll in original dkc games more( I hope they use it for smash as her dash attack), don't know why retro changed that into a piroutte. Donkey and Diddy still have their original b roll moves...
Yes, she holds her hands to her sides when she spins, right? It's weird looking.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I prefer the pirouette tbh, it just looks nicer and it's more exciting and visually interesting than the original, especially next to donkey and diddy who have a somersault and a cartwheel

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I gotta be honest, I prefer the new design to the original--which isn't bad mind you. The old design's colors pop a little too much making the pink a little oversaturated, plus the nail polish and eyelashes are somewhat tacky, and I don't mean to bash Rare and the classic look when I say that. Also, the darker fur color makes Dixie's hair seem more like a wig than a curiously lighter growth of fur. While I love the kneepads and wish they stayed, at first glance I'd look at oldschool Dixie and think she cares more about looking pretty--as in wearing makeup--than adventuring.

With the new design, she's still got that girly look, but it's toned down; the eyelashes aren't that glaring and neither is the color. The hot pink has been watered to a softer pink and the nail polish is gone thankfully, but the kneepads are too which sucks and overall makes it seem like her only trait is girliness. The fur taking on a more tan-like tone helps her overall look, as now her ponytail is much less jarring and doesn't look like a wig. It seems like a lighter extension of the fur around her body rather than a wig that's very well glued on. Overall this Dixie is easier on the eyes, as the once contrasting colors blend well enough but stay distinct. The earrings are a nice touch too.

Now as for her personality, she's definitely girlier nowadays than her 2 SNES appearances, but I don't really see a loss of her...I guess "wild" behavior. There's slightly more of it. In DKC2, the best showcase of her...I guess "savage" nature is when she kicks Diddy's *** to tag in and out with him. Considering the character parade in DKC1 when DK and Diddy bruise eachother, I'm assuming this is normal Kong behavior and they play rough with one another, girlfriend, best friend, grandson (Cranky's QUITE abusive) or not. I take Dixie as a bit sensitive in the SNES games, since she cries when KO'd. In DKCTF, she seems just as violent as her male co stars when it's time to finish off a boss. She's not hiding her wild side but she's definitely letting her girly side shine. The one trait she and all the playable Kongs show is a love for violence but in different ways. DK's got that Alpha Male flair, Diddy's got the "I'll fight ANYONE!" attitude, Cranky's got that "I'll show these young 'uns my belt!" demeanor and Dixie's got that "Come at me!" flair.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
How would you guys feel if Dixie gets some of her moves from DK64‘s Tiny Kong?

Her front flip in the air, the cool sliding Kick or a variation of her 3-hit attack?
I am thinking of compiling a Dixie Moveset that‘s not too similar to Diddy‘s.

The thing with Diddy, however, is that he is built to be annoying and to pretty much feel like a tricky chimpanzee. I do not see Dixie fill that same niche, though.

She seems a bit more...civilized?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Just here to show my support. Dixie deserves it more than just about anyone!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Saw this recently and felt like sharing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DEGLO7dpxo
It details the differences between the Wii U and Switch versions of Tropical Freeze.

How would you guys feel if Dixie gets some of her moves from DK64‘s Tiny Kong?

Her front flip in the air, the cool sliding Kick or a variation of her 3-hit attack?
I am thinking of compiling a Dixie Moveset that‘s not too similar to Diddy‘s.

The thing with Diddy, however, is that he is built to be annoying and to pretty much feel like a tricky chimpanzee. I do not see Dixie fill that same niche, though.

She seems a bit more...civilized?
It'd be a nice easter egg to have some things that reference Tiny, and if you're gonna make a moveset, I say go for it and I'll put it in the OP.

Just here to show my support. Dixie deserves it more than just about anyone!
Welcome back, Banjodorf! You're one of the oldest supporters--I think you've been on the Dixie hype train before I even was LMAO.

Also @smash puffle I noticed you liked the OP. Would you like to be added to the Support List?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

No offense Diddy, but I really wanna know why you're sure she'd be a clone. Is it because she looks like she could be her boyfriend's twin sister? I remember [COLOR=#ffffff][B]yeeeears[/B][/COLOR] ago, during the post-Brawl speculation when we argued about her looks; if I'm not mistaken we were both confident she wouldn't be a clone, and I came along and said we (her fans) wouldn't have to defend her from those assumptions if Rare put more effort into her design. You disagreed, saying that she looked nothing like Diddy to begin with. Do you remember that discussion? What changed in those years?

I'm gonna assume you do think that she looks like her man, and correct me if I'm wrong, but also tell me why you're confident her fate is semi-clone at best. In every DKC, none of the Kong duos play like each other, and that was especially true for Dixie back in the SNES days since she stood out more than DK (the slow heavy-hitter) and Diddy (the fast weakling) did amongst each other. Even her trophy descriptions put some emphasis on her specialties, so the Smash teams see enough of a distinction in her to point out often in each game since Melee. And quite honestly, we can't exactly go by the "She looks like Diddy, therefore a clone" when we've got a Bowser Jr who has nothing in common with his dad.

I doubt we can use the "K. Rool gets priority, so if Dixie's in we'd need her to be a last-minute clone" logic either, because from my most objective prediction, if we're getting them both it's for two different reasons. K. Rool would get in thanks to the ballot AKA fan demand and Dixie would thanks to Tropical Freeze. Those circumstances are independent of each other and wouldn't cripple either's chances despite being from the same series, but even if Time Constraints does harm them I again have to point to Bowser Junior. [URL='https://smashboards.com/threads/bowser-jr-was-almost-cut-from-smash-4.385005/'][B][COLOR=#ff00ff][U]According to this article[/U][/COLOR][/B][/URL], Bowser's favorite kid was on the verge of being cut, leaving Rosalina as the only new Mario character and yet they still made Bowser's Luigi have his own unique moveset.

Now obviously I've got a bias for wanting Dixie to have a non-clone moveset even if it's nothing like the one I drew up, but I'd rather hope for something that doesn't reuse an existing moveset. I'll be the first to eat crow and accept her being a clone but I see no harm in speculating otherwise. Why are you confident that she'd be a clone?
Yo good you called me out on this! And yes, I DO remember that conversation! In fact, this thread has always been the very best qualitive thread on Smashboards honestly. And this is one of the very reasons why.

No I do not think her design is so similar to Diddy, in fact, it totally isn't. They aren't even of similar species at all. If anything it's the artstyle that's to blame with it. I also think that Kiddy plays far more like Diddy in the SNES DKC games, but a heavier weight version with DK's roll attack. She doesn't need to play like Diddy at all therefore, yet, I DO think they will build up from his moveset to create Dixie's eventually.

The main reason why is Tropical Freeze and how Dixie got a Bubblegum Popgun. This makes creating her Neutral Special far easier. Then again, Bowser and Charizard also share the same fire breathing attack for their Neutral Special and they play nothing alike, even if they are both powerful heavy weight fighters.

I imagine Dixie being somewhat closer to Diddy as a semi-clone like the Wolf~Fox style of semi-clone. They are clearly based on each other, but have drastic different moves, a few similarities, but different weights, and stats all over. Fox is a light weight speedster specialised in combos, but has some strong finishers, Wolf is a more powerful character but has his share of speedy moves all over the place that can combo well at times.

Dixie wouldn't be much like Diddy in playstyle at all! She would be slower, floatier and focus more on getting grabs, and slightly zoning / poking with her hair based attacks. They would both excell in the air, but Diddy should be faster, and in a way more powerful, but Dixie trades this off for more careful defensive play, and far more safe recovery options.

A few of Diddy's moves could stay, I'll list them below:

B Air
Side B (after all, Diddy probably has this move because of the orignal idea of having him and Dixie tagged - seems very much based on the Kongs throwing each other at enemies in DKC2)
Neutral B, but Bubblegum instead of Peanuts
D Tilt
U Tilt?
First few hits of jab, and then doing hair twirls instead of the tail wag
D Smash

I really don't think the other moves of Diddy fit Dixie, as they emphasise on either Diddy's natural agility or are too much strenght-based which wouldn't suit Dixie at all. F Smash, F Air and U Smash are too physical for Dixie. I can't see Dixie display as much strenght as Diddy honestly. Unless it's a throwing move, which I think Dixie will mainly use to finish off enemies.

In other cases, a hair attack would make far more sense for a move than simply copy Diddy. She wouldn't do cartwheels at the very least, and she has no Barrel Jetpack. I also don't want her to have the Banana Peel attack, but I struggle to see other options for her that fit naturally. Maybe an attack that's similar to the whirling attack that the Cat O'Ninetails does in DKC2?

It could drag enemies in and then launch them up high without causing damage? Or little damage? It seems VERY fitting for Dixie at the very least.

Am still 100% in the boat of seeing Dixie unique. But I think we need to approach it differently. I think in the end, she'll be as unique as the last batch of Smash 4 DLC characters, maybe a little less so. It was downrightly stated by Sakurai that Corrin took inspiration from Marth's moveset as a base, Cloud took it from Ike (most obvious imo) and Bayonetta was build up from Zero Suit Samus.

I am just looking at this realistically. There's no reason to build Dixie Kong completely from base if they can take a lot from Diddy's moveset as a base, even borrowing stuff from DK if they must for example, his cargo grab game. The Smash team is getting more experienced, and if it can release them of some work.. why not? Even IF she becomes a semi-clone, her Helicopter Spin, lighter weight, more grappler based fight style, hair based throws, slower speed and weaker hits would make her play DRASTICALLY different from Diddy.[/user]

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Yo good you called me out on this! And yes, I DO remember that conversation! In fact, this thread has always been the very best qualitive thread on Smashboards honestly. And this is one of the very reasons why.

No I do not think her design is so similar to Diddy, in fact, it totally isn't. They aren't even of similar species at all. If anything it's the artstyle that's to blame with it. I also think that Kiddy plays far more like Diddy in the SNES DKC games, but a heavier weight version with DK's roll attack. She doesn't need to play like Diddy at all therefore, yet, I DO think they will build up from his moveset to create Dixie's eventually.

The main reason why is Tropical Freeze and how Dixie got a Bubblegum Popgun. This makes creating her Neutral Special far easier. Then again, Bowser and Charizard also share the same fire breathing attack for their Neutral Special and they play nothing alike, even if they are both powerful heavy weight fighters.

I imagine Dixie being somewhat closer to Diddy as a semi-clone like the Wolf~Fox style of semi-clone. They are clearly based on each other, but have drastic different moves, a few similarities, but different weights, and stats all over. Fox is a light weight speedster specialised in combos, but has some strong finishers, Wolf is a more powerful character but has his share of speedy moves all over the place that can combo well at times.

Dixie wouldn't be much like Diddy in playstyle at all! She would be slower, floatier and focus more on getting grabs, and slightly zoning / poking with her hair based attacks. They would both excell in the air, but Diddy should be faster, and in a way more powerful, but Dixie trades this off for more careful defensive play, and far more safe recovery options.
I can see this. Diddy could be more focused on aggressive movement and stage control with banana/peanuts, while Dixie could be more focused on defense, air combat, grabs, and mid-range zoning.

I'm also in the camp of struggling with what to do with Dixie's Down B without giving her the banana. I feel that the banana would make her playstyle feel too much like Diddy; using it to pressure, get stage control, and set up kills. It would enhance her ability to play defensively, but she would still be using the same central tool as him to achieve her end goals and score kills. However, if that's how it has to be to get her in, I'd be okay with it.

As for what she could do for Down B: I've looked at her guitar, but I can't find a way to make that function well without feeling forced or making the move fall into the potential of being either useless or broken. I also think that giving her two command grab tools would feel pretty samey and uninteresting.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

A few of Diddy's moves could stay, I'll list them below:

B Air
Side B (after all, Diddy probably has this move because of the orignal idea of having him and Dixie tagged - seems very much based on the Kongs throwing each other at enemies in DKC2)
Neutral B, but Bubblegum instead of Peanuts
D Tilt
U Tilt?
First few hits of jab, and then doing hair twirls instead of the tail wag
D Smash

I really don't think the other moves of Diddy fit Dixie, as they emphasise on either Diddy's natural agility or are too much strenght-based which wouldn't suit Dixie at all. F Smash, F Air and U Smash are too physical for Dixie. I can't see Dixie display as much strenght as Diddy honestly. Unless it's a throwing move, which I think Dixie will mainly use to finish off enemies.

In other cases, a hair attack would make far more sense for a move than simply copy Diddy. She wouldn't do cartwheels at the very least, and she has no Barrel Jetpack. I also don't want her to have the Banana Peel attack, but I struggle to see other options for her that fit naturally. Maybe an attack that's similar to the whirling attack that the Cat O'Ninetails does in DKC2?

It could drag enemies in and then launch them up high without causing damage? Or little damage? It seems VERY fitting for Dixie at the very least.

Am still 100% in the boat of seeing Dixie unique. But I think we need to approach it differently. I think in the end, she'll be as unique as the last batch of Smash 4 DLC characters, maybe a little less so. It was downrightly stated by Sakurai that Corrin took inspiration from Marth's moveset as a base, Cloud took it from Ike (most obvious imo) and Bayonetta was build up from Zero Suit Samus.

I am just looking at this realistically. There's no reason to build Dixie Kong completely from base if they can take a lot from Diddy's moveset as a base, even borrowing stuff from DK if they must for example, his cargo grab game. The Smash team is getting more experienced, and if it can release them of some work.. why not? Even IF she becomes a semi-clone, her Helicopter Spin, lighter weight, more grappler based fight style, hair based throws, slower speed and weaker hits would make her play DRASTICALLY different from Diddy.[/user]
Ok I see where you're coming from now! My bad for assuming you find their looks similar, and thanks for clearing this up; personally I'd always go for completely unique but Wolf/Lucas level is perfectly fine.

You bring up an interesting point about using the models of existing characters rather than completely starting from scratch; I don't mind them building up from the models as Bayonetta, Corrin and Cloud function so differently from their base models, so doing the same for Dixie shouldn't be hard and can give impressive results.

As for the moves themselves, I honestly had a hard time thinking up a Down B as well. I fell back on the idea that she'd work better airborne and so gave her a move that lets her take to the sky without having to do a standard jump; that way she'd go slightly higher than normal but still have her Tropical-Freeze style Heli-Jump free, allowing her to reach heights and still have aerial moves to spare.

Overall, I do see Dixie as a more tactical/defensive fighter than Diddy overall. While her boyfriend is very in your face and eager to maul foes, Dixie can potentially keep them in a preferred distance that lets her hair do the dirty work.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
It's funny I always viewed Dixie as less agile than Diddy but far stronger. The way she picked up barrels with her hair seemingly with no effort always gave me that impression.

Top Bottom