• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Super Smash Bros. sequel added the best newcomers in the franchise?

Which smash sequel added the best newcomers?

• Total voters

QuintonShark8714

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Monroeshark8713
So uh, why do people hate brawl again? Aside from tripping what else is there to ***** about? Every smash since has been floaty, there were only 2 third parties, both wii u and ultimate copied and pasted alot from brawl. But yet, brawls the worst? ****ing how.

The foundation of brawl is heavily present in the newer games. Its the same house just remodeld so, yea, ****ing how.
People hate Brawl because it was too slow and defensive.
Smash 4 and especially Ultimate had to be significantly faster and more offensive than Brawl, otherwise competitive players would be angry (especially the Melee ones).

also, Meta Knight was broken

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
So uh, why do people hate brawl again? Aside from tripping what else is there to ***** about? Every smash since has been floaty, there were only 2 third parties, both wii u and ultimate copied and pasted alot from brawl. But yet, brawls the worst? ****ing how.

The foundation of brawl is heavily present in the newer games. Its the same house just remodeld so, yea, ****ing how.
Because *snorts* ISH NAWT MELEE!
People dislike Brawl since it was way slower paced than Melee was. It was the most party-ish of any Smash game other than 64, but we don't talk about 64. It also cut a ton of fighters (:ultdoc::ultyounglink::ultroy::ultpichu::ultmewtwo:), and I'm sure some people weren't happy with the newcomer selection (keyword "some").

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
As much as I love having Simon, it's definitely 4.

Mega Man? Little Mac? Ryu? Cloud? Greninja? Giving Charizard his own slot?

Smash 4 is the game in the series that actually made me start caring about who they added to Smash Bros just because who they were adding was so good.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I hear praise for Brawl, I personally think Ultimate takes the cake since Ridley and K Rool are strong additional wise. I'm not even counting Ultimate's incoming DLC's. Ridley and K Rool should have been in from the getgo. Smash 4 has Bowser's offspring, a ** villain's offspring, bruh.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I feel like Melee really just topped off the necessary representation already present franchises needed while throwing a couple curveballs. (G&W, Icies)

Even though Ultimate had my boy K. Rool, I feel like Brawl really takes the cake here. Sonic and Snake were huge deals for the series, Pokemon Trainer was introduced as the a three in one fighter, ZSS and Wario brought sex appeal to the game, and R.O.B. was a fantastically surprising retro rep.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
It is a tough choice

Melee brought :ultpeach::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultpichu::ultfalco::ultmewtwo: and :ultgnw:
Brawl brought :ultmetaknight::ultzss::ultwario::ultpokemontrainer::ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultlucario: and :ultwolf:
Game 4 brought :ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultrosalina::ultgreninja::ultbowserjr: and :ultduckhunt:
Ultimate brought :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha: and :ultbanjokazooie:

I would say Brawl, it has :ultmetaknight::ultsonic::ultkingdedede: and :ultlucario:, amoung others (listing them when they are confirmed)

R-senpai

Smash Cadet
Smash 4, and it's not even close

Thanks to this game :ultmario::ultsonic::ultcloud::ultryu: are in the same game, and can fight it out, that's ****ing crazy

But, I do have a bias, seeing my favorite character ever, :ultshulk:, was added in this game

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Brawl hands down. How can you beat a newcomer selection like this:

:snake:
:sonic:
:metaknight:
:dedede:
:wario:
:diddy:
:pt:
:charizard:
:squirtle:
:ivysaur:
:zerosuitsamus:
:pit:
:lucas:
:ike:
:wolf:
:olimar:
:toonlink:
:rob:
:lucario:
Replace Snake with Mega Man. Edit: and Ike, but Awakening wasn't out yet.

That said, I've liked additions in each game, but Melee added some very important additions and I do like G&W. As much as I like Sonic and Mega Man's addition, I may have to go with Melee, but I can have a hard time ranking things. Other games also probably have lower lows for me.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Replace Snake with Mega Man.

That said, I've liked additions in each game, but Melee added some very important additions and I do like G&W. As much as I like Sonic and Mega Man's addition, I may have to go with Melee, but I can have a hard time ranking things. Other games also probably have lower lows for me.
I agree with Melee adding important additions like :peachmelee:, :bowsermelee:, :zeldamelee:/:sheikmelee:, :ganondorfmelee:, :mewtwomelee:, :falcomelee:, and :marthmelee:. But Brawl just had more big names in it overall. Not saying most of Melee's newcomers weren't big names because they're, but Brawl just had more of them in it pretty much.

UserKev

Smash Champion
If people stopped counting third party reps, they'd see that every Smash to date has challenging rosters. I think Diddy Kong is what makes Brawl's roster so great. Pit wasn't hyped up. Wario was suddenly a shoe fitter and Pokémon Trainer is honestly a cheap addition.

What really makes Brawl legendary, pre-Brawl defines character speculation with its incredible character additions that didn't even make it into the game and are still requested, Geno, Isaac, Dark Samus, I know she's playable now, bruh. Lyn, Skull Kid, Midna, Krystal, Ashley, etc. Brawl is just a really good sequel that at the time, Nintendo still had giants and weren't scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If people stopped counting third party reps, they'd see that every Smash to date has challenging rosters. I think Diddy Kong is what makes Brawl's roster so great. Pit wasn't hyped up. Wario was suddenly a shoe fitter and Pokémon Trainer is honestly a cheap addition.

What really makes Brawl legendary, pre-Brawl defines character speculation with its incredible character additions that didn't even make it into the game and are still requested, Geno, Isaac, Dark Samus, I know she's playable now, bruh. Lyn, Skull Kid, Midna, Krystal, Ashley, etc. Brawl is just a really good sequel that at the time, Nintendo still had giants and weren't scrapping the bottom of the barrel.
You forgot to mention Ridley who was one of the most requested characters back in the Brawl days. Dark Samus' support paled in compare to Ridley's.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
As far as scraping the bottom of the Nintendo barrel goes, look at Terry and tell me they aren't starting to do that with third parties? Granted, after Sonic it was pretty much downhill from there. Kind of how all the rosters were kind of downhill after 64 since, let's face it, you aren't beating Mario.
I agree with Melee adding important additions like :peachmelee:, :bowsermelee:, :zeldamelee:/:sheikmelee:, :ganondorfmelee:, :mewtwomelee:, :falcomelee:, and :marthmelee:. But Brawl just had more big names in it overall. Not saying most of Melee's newcomers weren't big names because they're, but Brawl just had more of them in it pretty much.
Brawl had some big names, but take out Sonic, and Melee probably had more important additions save perhaps, Dedede, Trainer, and maybe Diddy and Wario. Though, importance wise, R.O.B. is very important to Nintendo specifically and the industry as a whole. I also kind of take issue with Brawl not adding another Mario rep.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Personally, I think Smash 64 had the best newcomers.
I mean, Mario, Link, AND Pikachu?!

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Smash 4 because it has Rosalina, Lucina, Robin, Shulk and Cloud.

Brawl comes at a close second because of Snake, Ike and Wolf.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Brawl

Admittedly it was my first game and introduced my mains, but I genuinely feel like it was the best in terms of fleshing out the various series, had the big 'wow' factor in introducing third parties and felt quite balanced overall

Top Bottom