• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Spirits would you like to see playable?

Assuming they’re in no other role (FS, AT, Pokeball, Stage Element, Mii Costume)

• Total voters

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Assume they’re in no other role, which is why I’m excluding Spirited characters that are also: in a Final Smash (I think I made that poll a while back), Assist Trophy, Stage Element a la Viridi or Pauline, Pokeball Pokémon, or Mii Costume. I’m not sure if I should include Geno as his Mii Costume returning is TBD and if it is back, he wouldn’t count for this poll anymore.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Celica, Henry Fleming, Caeda, and Merric.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I could go on and on with this. In no particular order, there's Rayman, Impa, Elma, Alexandra Roivas from Eternal Darkness, Wonder Red from the Wonderful 101, Fawful, Dixie Kong, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Cranky Kong, Dark Matter, Masked Man from Mother 3, Captain Syrup, Dr. Eggman, Mr. Sandman from Punch-Out, Pyra or Mythra (Rex is ruled out due to having a Mii costume), Geno, Akuma, Jeanne (as an echo), Octoling (as an echo), Isa Jo from Sin & Punishment, Captain Toad, Tails (not sure if those two count as a stage element on par with Pauline, since you can't interact with them), one of the Rays from Custom Robo, and Isaac from Golden Sun Dark Dawn (can he get in on a technicality?),

Last edited:

Grie

Smash Apprentice
Here is a couple

Bandana dee
Paper mario
Toad (don’t care wich)
Hector
Sigurd
Alm
Tiki
Dixie Kong

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Geno. Without a doubt. I'm still not sure why you didnt include him in the poll. Feels like censorship.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Koopa Troopa
Shy Guy
Paper Mario
Fawful
Antasma
A Mario Kart Spirit(i want to imagine how a mario character would play in a race car)
King Boo
Captain Syrup(to represent Wario Land)
Malon?
Between Worlds Link
Bandana Dee
Gooey
Magolor
Smeargle(i like his design)
Black Shadow(F-Zero feels lonely)
Ninten
Absolutely Safe Capsule(Mainly the person inside it)
Anna
Caeda
Hades
Plasma Wraith
Donbe & Hikari
Matthew(if only he's father was countable too)
Zael
Calista(as a bonus with zael)
Maria Reinard(i have no good knowledge of her, but i think she can be interesting)
Big Boss
Dr. Eggman
Haru
Rayman
Rabbid Mario(as an alternate costume for a playable rabbid)
Rayman

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Geno is naturally the main Spirit I want playable. But I'd like to see Dixie Kong, Captain Toad, Elma, Impa, and Bandanna Dee to fill out the roster of Nintendo characters a little bit more... Then Rayman would be a really cool third party to see as well... But we're already over the number of newcomers base Ultimate had, so I'm just going to stick to my one personal hope and semi long-shot with Geno.

Of course I'd like a great deal to be playable, but there are restrictions to reality after all haha.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Dixie Kong
Impa
Chun-Li
Andy
Sami
Rhythm Heaven
Geno
Octoling
Anna

I don't think Mii Costumes should be disqualifying, there have been Mii Costumes of playable characters since they were introduced.
Even so, imo having the Mii Costume revealed BEFORE the character could become playable doesn’t bode well. Especially with how they worded Rex’s Mii Costume reveal.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't think Mii Costumes should be disqualifying, there have been Mii Costumes of playable characters since they were introduced.
My only concern is if non-player characters get Mii costumes as DLC - if Smash 4 is any indication, they're seen as consolation prizes at best, to acknowledge that a character is popular but they won't make it in the game. Take K. Rool and Inkling - both were extremely popular choices, but all they got out of DLC for Smash 4 was Mii costumes.

The same thing goes for Smash Ultimate - the announcement of Rex's DLC costume made it pretty clear that he wasn't going to make it into the game, either as part of the base game or as DLC, and that this was the best that they could do.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Elma.

...I just really want another Xenoblade character. Would've chosen Rex over her if he didn't already have a Mii costume, though, and solo Pyra/Mythra wouldn't represent XC2 that well.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Black Knight from Fire Emblem. Ike is awesome but Black Knight just absolutely looks badass. Make him a slow heavy hitter that weighs just as much, if not more than Bowser.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
My only concern is if non-player characters get Mii costumes as DLC - if Smash 4 is any indication, they're seen as consolation prizes at best, to acknowledge that a character is popular but they won't make it in the game. Take K. Rool and Inkling - both were extremely popular choices, but all they got out of DLC for Smash 4 was Mii costumes.

The same thing goes for Smash Ultimate - the announcement of Rex's DLC costume made it pretty clear that he wasn't going to make it into the game, either as part of the base game or as DLC, and that this was the best that they could do.
Difference between Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate is that K. Rool and Inkling were made Mii costumes specifically because Sakurai was probably saving them for Ultimate, with development literally starting a couple months after Smash 4's DLC wrapped up.

With the Switch selling much better than the Wii U and presumably having a much longer lifespan (as well as Ultimate being released much sooner in it's lifecycle than Smash U), and Ultimate being the last game for a while due to being the last time every single character to return, wouldn't really make sense to "save" characters this time. Why add them to a future game with a watered down roster and a possibly smaller install base instead of the Ultimate version of Smash?

Of course, Nintendo doesn't always like to do what makes sense.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Black Knight from Fire Emblem. Ike is awesome but Black Knight just absolutely looks badass. Make him a slow heavy hitter that weighs just as much, if not more than Bowser.
Black Knight’s an Assist Trophy, so that’s why he’s not included as per my “rules” in OP

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Spirits that are JUST spirits:
Impa
Bandana Waddle Dee
Elma
Rayman

Spirits that are also Mii outfit parts:
Toad
Dixie Kong
Isaac
Chibi Robo
Tails
Waluigi

Spirits that are also part of someone's moveset:
Toad
Tom Nook

Spirits that are also background objects or parts of a stage:
Captain Toad
Tingle
Slippy Toad
Cranky Kong
Blaziken

Spirits that are also Assist Trophies:
Bomberman
Waluigi
Lyn
Krystal
Dillon
Samurai Goroh

Spirits that are also Pokeballs:
Meowth
Eevee

StormC

Smash Hero
Dixie and Bandana Dee are the main ones I am actively hoping to see as playable someday. They would be the primary reason I would be interested in a first party season 2.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Paper Mario and Rayman are both just spirits and are my second and third most wanted characters respectively, so them

There's also a load of more minor characters (Dimentio, random Pokemon like Flygon) who would be cool to see, but are very much never-evers

xzx

Smash Lord
The fact that Paper Mario is not on this list just shows how dismissed the character is for some reason... =^(

My choice is Paper Mario. (Should've been included since Brawl, but okay.) What's really holding them back? Miyamoto? What if Paper Mario has been considered but Miyamoto insists of not wanting the first two Paper Mario games to be represented? What if? Anyway, I digress.

It seems like Paper Mario always is on Sakurai's radar but never is prioritized for some reason. ("Hard-to-get" trophy in Melee, unlockable trophy through an achievement in Brawl, music and a stage in Smash 4, and another music track in Ultimate + summonable spirit.)

The fact that the character is iconic enough and has a much greater moveset potential than most other characters really implies that something is holding them back from adding Paper Mario... Maybe it's just the popularity factor?

Oddball

Smash Lord
I could make a list of over a hundred characters who have spirits that I would like to see playable.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
  • Bandana Dee
  • Dark Matter
  • Gooey
  • Marx (I know he's also a boss)
  • Plasm Wraith
  • Louie
  • Bulborb
  • Ninten
  • Skull Kid
  • Tingle
  • Geno
  • Toad
  • Waluigi (I know he and Skull Kid are also assist trophies)
  • Goomba
  • Dixie Kong
  • Chorus Kids
  • Gengar

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Andy obviously (for people that know me).

And I honestly believe he has a chance for the Pass still. A small chance at that.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Really glad to see that Bandana Boi has the most votes!

I voted BWD, Rayman, Elma, Black Shadow, Twintelle, Octoling, Elma, Dixie Kong, and other-ing Spring-Man, Magolor, Marx, and Gooey.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Dixie Kong
Impa
Chun-Li
Andy
Sami
Rhythm Heaven
Geno
Octoling
Anna

I should mention that Sami isn't a Spirit.

You would think she would be in right? All the more reason why the Spirit situation for Advance Wars is very bizarre and might hint at DLC.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The very least they could have done was bring back the Infantry and Tanks Assist Trophy.
That was literally the one big representation the series had.
I feel ya but I feel the absence of the AT, coupled in with the lack of any Mii Costume (where Sakurai was doing all he can to give niche franchises Mii Costumes in the base game), and the lack of any music tracks I feel is a good sign for Advance Wars possibly being DLC. The way I see it, Advance Wars had to have some kind of representation in the base game, DLC or not and having 4 Spirits is like the most basic form of representation for the series to have. If it were to have any kind of representation I mentioned above, then I would agree it's chances are unquestionably done for.

Not getting people's hopes up of course but I do think there's a chance. Especially considering it was a perfect attendee AT beforehand.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Since Geno's Mii costume was suspiciously absent upon Hero's release, I have now added Geno to the poll. Sorry to keep Geno fans waiting; I just wanted to make sure!

Top Bottom