• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Smash has the most shield-breaks?

Which Smash has shield-breaks occur most often?

• Melee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brawl

• Project M

• No clear correlation/ no opinion.

• Total voters

Corgi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Corgi-of-Time
Shield breaks, as we all know, are one of the hypest, though equally disgraceful mechanics in all of Smash. Through relentless pressure, or your opponent's inattentiveness, you are given an uncontested opportunity to end their stock immediately.

I've seen (admittedly, more than I'm comfortable with) many instances occur across each version of Smash through competitive play on YouTube. What is not clear is how the correlation of the game itself versus the frequency of shield-breakage in tournament.

So, taking into consideration all the mechanical minutia, which game do you feel shield breaking the opponent is either most reliably a viable strategy, or simply occurs by happenstance more often than other versions of Smash?

Personally, I tend towards 64 being the winner. Some moves are clear-cut a shieldbreak setup, most notably Yoshi's dair. Sm4sh comes in a close second though, being that the 1.1.1 patch gave us the global shield damage/stun increases.

Feel free to elaborate your response, or belittle me for my observation.

Charoite

Smash Journeyman
I my opinion is smash 4

The thing is that in smash 64 you have 5 stocks so a shield break wouldn't make a great impact, compared to smash 4 you only have 2 stock so a shield break means you are at 1/2 of losing the match.

And other reason is that shield in 64 is not a good option most of the time, compared to smash 4 shields that are actually good options but because shields in 4 doesn't have much life compared to the others smash games so they are more easy to break, but they regenerate very fast, this makes that most of the time you dont have the fear of a shield break in smash 4, so you can use shield frequently but if you dont use your shield correctly or you are holding too much and your opponent realizes that, they probably are gonna punish for that and consider that various characters in smash 4 can do seriously to shields, shield break is more viable and deadly that in 64, melee or brawl.

Weeatt

Smash Rookie
Sm4sh, mostly in the case of custom equipment and custom moves. Lemme tell you, Ike's forward smash with +104 ATK and Hyper Smash can pretty much shatter shields instantly. Ganondorf has a Marth Shield Breaker Standard B alt which does pretty well at shield breaking.

Top Bottom