• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which secondary should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
I main megaman and I need a secondary to cover megamans weakneses like Diddy Kong, Shulk, Rob, Luigi, Yoshi

Smash Ace
I recommend Sheik. Good combos and good edgeguard and good projectiles and good recovery. A close second: Diddy. Same things.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Yeah I dont really like those character because they are too op, I use shulk, Lucario and Pit as secondaries also

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
None of the chars you listed are bad matchups for megaman, imo.

But pika seems like an overall decent counterpart for megaman, for various reasons

Crescent_Sun

Smash Apprentice
Just do whatever works for you. Sometimes having a backup different character can help put on pressure on your opponent you wouldn't have if you just improved the matchup with a main. If having multiple fits your playstyle and you feel you get more out of it, go ahead, just also don't underestimate you and your character's ability to overcome bad matchups.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I am also struggling to pick up a secondary. I was hesitant to choose anyone before the patch seeing as I knew a lot of characters would get big nerfs.

I am surprised Yoshi didn't get nerfed so I might go with him. Pika seems like a good choice as well.

Drippy

Smash Ace
Wanted to bump this thread but in general what type of characters are good as secondaries for Mega Man? What exactly are his weaknesses that should be covered? Telling from this thread are good secondaries for him pretty much fast rush down characters like Yoshi, Captain Falcon, Greninja, Pikachu, etc. or does he have any other good alternatives aside from them?

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
I think little mac because he overpowers fast characters
Thing with Little Mac, and the reason why he's not a very popular character in the competitive scene to begin with is because of his poor recovery. Seems like a very situational pick only for some match-ups, which if I recall correctly is what MVD does with his Little Mac.

Doctor_Panduck

Smash Rookie
NNID
quickpoison
I am also someone who is looking for a secondary for megaman. I have tried a multitude of characters such as luigi, wario, and mario. Of these, I've found mario to work best especially against characters such as greninja.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
The more and more I play mega man and the better I get the more I feel that I don't need a secondary.

Drippy

Smash Ace
The more and more I play mega man and the better I get the more I feel that I don't need a secondary.
It's not that I necessarily want to pick up Mega Man just to cover his weaknesses. Like I'm really bad against rush down characters like Captain Falcon and I can't do it at all with Mega Man but I still want to learn the match-up and overall try to master his bad match-ups, I just want a good secondary to play in the case that I find myself more confident in that match-up and simply because I don't like playing one character 24/7. As much as I love Mega Man, I can't stand playing him nonstop because I get bored and that's with any character for me.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I think The Blue Bomber is good enough as he is: I'm not too great with him just yet but I am with the camp who believes his only true counters are Sheik, Fox, and Falcon. There are other characters out there who could potentially become negative, but I don't find them as threatening as the ones listed and I don't think they'll get any worse than -1.5. Nice to have a secondary, but I don't think he really needs one unless you'll get bored playing just him and only him. I disagree that :4luigi:, :4rob:, :4diddy:, and :4shulk: are poor matchups for him, smart use of lemons and edgeguarding (all of these guys besides Luigi have pretty weak recoveries and can be gimped kind of easily) can handle them just fine.

If I had to pick a secondary to handle these guys though, I'd probably go with:
:4pacman:
:4pit:
:4ness:
:4sonic:

Drippy

Smash Ace
I think The Blue Bomber is good enough as he is: I'm not too great with him just yet but I am with the camp who believes his only true counters are Sheik, Fox, and Falcon. There are other characters out there who could potentially become negative, but I don't find them as threatening as the ones listed and I don't think they'll get any worse than -1.5. Nice to have a secondary, but I don't think he really needs one unless you'll get bored playing just him and only him. I disagree that :4luigi:, :4rob:, :4diddy:, and :4shulk: are poor matchups for him, smart use of lemons and edgeguarding (all of these guys besides Luigi have pretty weak recoveries and can be gimped kind of easily) can handle them just fine.

If I had to pick a secondary to handle these guys though, I'd probably go with:
:4pacman:
:4pit:
:4ness:
:4sonic:
Can I see your reasoning behind the characters you think are good secondaries for him? Not that I disagree, just would like to see why you think that way because I don't quite understand or know at all since I'm still fairly new.

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Luigi should never beat mega man he is too slow.

I've been playing against some pretty good competition and I think I will be picking up Diddy kong as a secondary. He is a character with great speed and aerials and I feel he covers some of megas bad matchups well.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
I realized megaman has some issues with top tiers and now I use sonic as as a secondary because he is cheap and he gives yoshi and Mario a hard time and truth is MM cant react to pressure even a Dash Atack from some characters can cancel them and they do few damage and his smash attacks have mega ending lag and he lacks strong b moves

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't need any other characters besides him and Rosalina to beat those characters you mentioned, like Shulk and sissy boy, I mean Luigi.

FireToast

Smash Rookie
NNID
Varota
I don't need any other characters besides him and Rosalina to beat those characters you mentioned, like Shulk and sissy boy, I mean Luigi.
Well of course you don't need anyone else if you play Rosalina, she's one of the best characters out there, especially for gimping.

FP-Takyon

Smash Apprentice
recently I've been running falcon as my second, he's good for rushdowns/combos, imo fills a void that megaman has difficulties with.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
If you are pretty serious in playing this game, I'd say not to look at this game through lens of counter picks. Definitely master Mega Man before you go touching any other character because I don't feel like those characters in particular are bad MUs for Mega Man.

However if you want real advantage over Rosalina, definitely try Meta Knight. Side B can be her worst match.

Drippy

Smash Ace
If you are pretty serious in playing this game, I'd say not to look at this game through lens of counter picks. Definitely master Mega Man before you go touching any other character because I don't feel like those characters in particular are bad MUs for Mega Man.

However if you want real advantage over Rosalina, definitely try Meta Knight. Side B can be her worst match.
Yea I agree with this, I was going to pick up Mario as a secondary for my Mega Man and who knows maybe I still will but my Mega Man is still horrible. Looking through my list of notes, I still have tons of things + matchup experience I need before I even think of picking up a secondary. On the other hand, there are definitely matchups that feel like hell for Mega Man IMO, some of them I felt aren't as hard after playing against it but I still feel confident Sheik / Pikachu are among the difficult match-ups while my opinion of Luigi / C. Falcon has changed.

BlkSheep642

Smash Apprentice
Yea I agree with this, I was going to pick up Mario as a secondary for my Mega Man and who knows maybe I still will but my Mega Man is still horrible. Looking through my list of notes, I still have tons of things + matchup experience I need before I even think of picking up a secondary. On the other hand, there are definitely matchups that feel like hell for Mega Man IMO, some of them I felt aren't as hard after playing against it but I still feel confident Sheik / Pikachu are among the difficult match-ups while my opinion of Luigi / C. Falcon has changed.
whoah, especially the part about looking through your list of notes, I'm currently experiencing the same EXACT things. I have miles to go before I become an incredible Megaman, much less an incredible player (I've only been playing this game competitively, and been doing so since the 3DS version came out). There's tons of tech, methods of reading, strategies, methods of edgeguarding/juggling, etc. to learn before ever arriving at a wall where you'd think "maybe it's time to learn a new character"

although, occasionally playing as other characters, and learning the way people think while using these characters, is very important. It'll allow you to get into the head of your opponents more easily

Drippy

Smash Ace
whoah, especially the part about looking through your list of notes, I'm currently experiencing the same EXACT things. I have miles to go before I become an incredible Megaman, much less an incredible player (I've only been playing this game competitively, and been doing so since the 3DS version came out). There's tons of tech, methods of reading, strategies, methods of edgeguarding/juggling, etc. to learn before ever arriving at a wall where you'd think "maybe it's time to learn a new character"

although, occasionally playing as other characters, and learning the way people think while using these characters, is very important. It'll allow you to get into the head of your opponents more easily
Totally agreed on everything said, and especially the second part as well. I used to think Sheik was a braindead OP character, and once I took the time to learn and play her, I realized that although she's annoying af, she's not exactly the easiest character to play unless you put time into learning her. The same applied for other characters too that I used to have zero respect for until I started playing them myself.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I've been struggling to find a secondary as well but still can't decide on one that I like.

I'm looking for someone to help me with the fast/high tier characters that I have trouble with. Sheik, Diddy, rosalina, sonic.

I've tried out falcon, sheik, rosa, Diddy, yoshi, but none of them really seem like they fit my playstyle and I am much better off just staying with mega man.

I keep going back and forth, sometimes I feel like I dogt need a secondary and others I feel like I do.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
how do you guys feel about learning the charchs that give you bad MU's? does learning about them teach you how to counter them with megaman?

Drippy

Smash Ace
how do you guys feel about learning the charchs that give you bad MU's? does learning about them teach you how to counter them with megaman?
It teaches you more of the character's strengths and weaknesses than anything but if you can apply that knowledge while playing Mega Man then I'd imagine that it would help.

I've been struggling to find a secondary as well but still can't decide on one that I like.

I'm looking for someone to help me with the fast/high tier characters that I have trouble with. Sheik, Diddy, rosalina, sonic.

I've tried out falcon, sheik, rosa, Diddy, yoshi, but none of them really seem like they fit my playstyle and I am much better off just staying with mega man.

I keep going back and forth, sometimes I feel like I dogt need a secondary and others I feel like I do.
It's really hard to help you because no one really can force you to like a character. All I can say is that if you really like Mega Man then just stick to him and try to master the match-ups he suffer from. If you truly feel some match-ups are horrible then you're going to have to suck it in and learn a new character that you may or may not like.

Last edited:

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
I personally play them a tad bit, without focusing to play as good as that particular character. I play the character in training mode to understand the combos with all the ins and outs.

My one and only main is still a confident Mega Man, because I have a problem seconding new characters since I have the tendency to run to my easy mode card, Mega Man. I want to learn how to Meta Knight now and I've got it down a bit, and learning to edge guard far more than usual. The only thing I can't do are those extensive combos that some Metaknight players like Ito can do. But usually when I want to learn new characters they end up as just a phase and a victim of the curse of "I want to show you my best" attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom