• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Rare character would you guys like to see next?

Which Rare character do you want most in Smash?

• Krystal

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Dixie Kong

Votes: 44 37.3%
  • Conker

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • Joanna Dark

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • Battletoads

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • Juno/Vela

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jago

• Cranky Kong

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Funky Kong

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Lanky Kong

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Tiny Kong

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Chunky Kong

• Gruntilda

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Mumbo

• Fulgore

Votes: 9 7.6%

• Total voters

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
"The last of the newcomers have not shown whilst Masahiro Sakurai Sits upon his throne.

A complete roster is what they all desire as I watch and laugh atop my spire.

A chimp dressed in pink I cannot perceive for a Hag with stink is what they shall receive!"

gruntilda.jpg

Morgana J. Cat

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Dixie is the best choice since she is still relevant (mainly thanks to Tropical Freeze) and is one of the few characters on that poll that's officially owned by Nintendo.
But I don't know, I mean Conker definitely deserves the spot too.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Simon Belmont, Mega Man, King K. Rool, and Banjo-Kazooie are in Smash, to say nothing of antiquities like Duck Hunt and the Ice Climbers. I think it's time we put the relevancy argument to bed.

Morgana J. Cat

Smash Apprentice
Simon Belmont, Mega Man, King K. Rool, and Banjo-Kazooie are in Smash, to say nothing of antiquities like Duck Hunt and the Ice Climbers. I think it's time we put the relevancy argument to bed.
Was that supposed to be to me? I didn't say that relevancy is the key, I'm just saying that it certainly helps her (or hell, everyone's) chances.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Only the last two are irrelevant anyway.

Banjo-Kazooie was kept relevant by Microsoft advertising them, giving them Merchandise, and having a full set of consistent re-releases with Rare Replay. Donkey Kong County was always relevant, so King K. Rool is nothing but a member of the franchise. He always had a fair chance due to that alone. The franchise matters a lot more than the character alone. Mega Man was actually relevant when added due to an official Comic release. He also got more games after Smash, and yet another new show. He's far from irrelevant. Castlevania never lost relevancy(not with the Pinball Game, as awful as it was, and the anime that came out), and Simon and Richter were the two first Belmonts, one catering to a different section of the world. Alucard, a currently relevant character in the franchise(being used in the anime no less) was overall only chosen for an AT, but actually considered.

Relevancy isn't their issues, because it's the franchise that matters, once again. Did you know the relevancy of what Sakurai meant is the likelihood of the character being used again? Well, the constant merchandise and how much they want to promote B~K, even without a new game, shows they're still using the character. King K. Rool had fan demand, but he could be brought back at any point quite easily, since DKC is a very consistent series in getting releases. MegaMan got new content in his series(and used again) not long after he appeared in Smash. That leaves only two, and one was a surprise character(Duck Hunt) while the other was a retro(Ice Climbers). They both aren't working under the relevancy angle.

It doesn't mean relevancy applies to 3rd parties as a rule either(note that the relevancy of their franchise, and the continued use or potential reuse of a character is really the key part), but that's not just what I said, but that relevancy was stated as something in context of 1st parties.

Overall, the relevancy argument way too often ignores actual context. It's not as simple as "this character wasn't used in a while", which is not really what it ever was being used in Smash. Plus, once again, it was never brought up as a factor among 3rd party choices, just 1st party, so it's kind of pointless to say 3rd parties adhere to it when there's no reason to believe it actually matters. Sure, it's coincidence that every 3rd party franchise was currently relevant in some way when added too, but that doesn't mean it an actual rule for them either.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
In all honesty, the only two I really want are Dixie and Conker.

Dixie is simply the last little piece missing for DK representation. She has a solid resume to get it, is a popular choice, and could work as either a unique character or an echo. While I always championed K Rool first, I still want Dixie and would love to see her get in. While she may not be the last Nintendo all star in my eyes, she is a clear choice going forward.

Conker is honestly the only other rare IP character I can reason besides Banjo. It will never happen for a couple of reasons. Conkers Bad Fur Day is way more niche and not as popular as Banjo. Banjo got in due to being a very big deal for the N64 and the huge fan demand: Conker was its swansong and is not as remembered.

I know some people like Krystal, and I do not really like the character. I have no real fondness of the Star Fox franchise in general. I find they are solid on rails shooters, although I would profess how much better Sin and Punishment or Panzer Dragoon are compared to Star Fox 64 in my eyes. I also just do not really like the character too much; while she may have a unique moveset I do not find it to be that interesting. At least she has a fanbase that I feel legitimate sympathy towards, so if she somehow got it I would be ok with that reality.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I was about to say "If Krystal were playable, she'd be the only character with fire, ice, and psychic moves," but then I remembered Lucas.

I'm not super into Star Fox either, but I think Krystal has a great design (in Assault; the loincloth from Adventures looks a little tacky, imo), a likable personality, and like you said, lots of moveset potential. Plus it's always nice to get a new female fighter.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Dixie's a top want for me, second only to Toad/Captain Toad as I really want all the most famous Nintendo characters to be fully playable in Smash at some point.

Outside her though, I'd have to side with Conker as Pocket Tales was the very first Nintendo console game I ever personally owned and so he holds a great deal of nostalgia for me.

I never imagined that adorable red squirrel would end up being totally reinvented in the very next game...not that I'm complaining; Bad Fur Day at least was pretty memorable. Poor old Pocket Tales had you take out acorns with a slingshot and was largely forgettable to everyone other than myself.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Here's to hoping we get at least one more Rare rep before Ultimate is all set and done. Personally I would want Krystal or Dixie, but with how long we waited for both K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie and the fact it took a worldwide popularity poll like the Smash Ballot to get them in tells me we probably ain't getting another Rare created character for awhile.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Feels bad, man.
For a developer that, for a good while, was the Pixar (or DreamWorks) to Nintendo's Disney, Rare never seems to get it's due diligence when it comes to Smash.

I know I said before that I only really wanted 3 more DK reps & maybe Conker, but now...I'd honestly throw in most of the characters listed here if I could.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Feels bad, man.
For a developer that, for a good while, was the Pixar to Nintendo's Disney, Rare never seems to get it's due diligence when it comes to Smash.

I know I said before that I only really wanted 3 more DK reps & maybe Conker, but now...I'd honestly throw in most of the characters listed here if I could.
If I had it my way all these characters would be in by now:

Krystal
Dixie Kong
Cranky Kong
Funky Kong
Lanky Kong
Conker
Battletoads
Joanna Dark
Juno & Vela
Gruntilda
Mumbo
Dark Queen

Handy Man

Smash Ace
...I'm pretty sure this way made after they were announced, so.
It is. I’m just grateful that Banjo & Kazooie got in, they could have easily still not been in Ultimate. The fact of the matter is, Banjo is usually grouped with characters like Conker, the Battletoads, and Jonah Dark. To see that Banjo got into Smash certainly raises hopes that other Rare characters can join too, when not even two years ago, we weren’t certain that Banjo would ever reappear in anything ever again. Same goes for King K. Rool. I just sometimes think about how lucky we actually are to have the roster we currently have.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I feel like Microsoft and Nintendo will want to get Master Chief and Doom Slayer in before they decide to get anymore Rare reps in like Conker, Battletoads or Joanna Dark.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It is. I’m just grateful that Banjo & Kazooie got in, they could have easily still not been in Ultimate. The fact of the matter is, Banjo is usually grouped with characters like Conker, the Battletoads, and Jonah Dark. To see that Banjo got into Smash certainly raises hopes that other Rare characters can join too, when not even two years ago, we weren’t certain that Banjo would ever reappear in anything ever again. Same goes for King K. Rool. I just sometimes think about how lucky we actually are to have the roster we currently have.
I misread what you meant, that's all. Anyway, yeah, it's pretty sweet.

There's so many more awesome choices still absent, though. Niche/obscure picks or otherwise.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I voted for Cranky Kong, even if he feels more Nintendo these days. Otherwise, Conker would get my vote.
I would have voted for Cranky myself. However, I can easily imagine that the design choices made for his moveset would be disappointing if he were included, so I voted for Dixie. I imagine that her design in Smash Bros., should she come, would remain true to what I envision as being interesting about her potential. In short, Dixie is my 'safety' choice, and Cranky is my 'ideal' choice.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Honestly, I think if we really want to secure slots for anymore Rare characters in future Smash titles, we'll have to try to campaign for them hard like we did with K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie. But realistically, I only see Dixie ever getting that amount of support if anyone else.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I don’t think I need to say who I’m still hoping gets the spotlight one day.
360E0B8F-FC20-4D8E-BBFD-2C368DA4FCFE.png

Although I have to admit, it’s really sad when I think about how Rare has so many other awesome characters full of potential and that would fit excellently well in the roster, such as the Battletoads and Fulgore.
Thanks a lot, Microsoft!

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I don’t think I need to say who I’m still hoping gets the spotlight one day.
View attachment 312464
Although I have to admit, it’s really sad when I think about how Rare has so many other awesome characters full of potential and that would fit excellently well in the roster, such as the Battletoads and Fulgore.
Thanks a lot, Microsoft!
Don't try and blame the whole "Buyout" on Microsoft, Nintendo had every ****ing chance to buyout the remaining stake and had 1st dibs when Rare was looking for a buyer, But surprisingly turned them down.

Rare almost went 3rd Party at one point and was going to be bought out by Activision, But the deal fell apart last minute only for Microsoft to pull up with a dump truck and floor Rare with a $375 million acquisition.

And honestly I can't say that I blame Microsoft. Who wouldn't want to add an elite and talented studio with one hell of library of IP's to their own company? Especially when you have a brand new and upcoming video game divison, console and brand in Xbox.

Would I have liked Nintendo to buyout Rare? Yes,100%.

But we should consider ourselves grateful that Microsoft/Phil Spencer are even willing to play ball regarding Smash and with how this partnership has been going on the past couple of years and with what has been teased as of lately, I really doubt this is the last time we see Microsoft owned Rare IP on a Nintendo console, This may only be the beginning.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Don't try and blame the whole "Buyout" on Microsoft, Nintendo had every ****ing chance to buyout the remaining stake and had 1st dibs when Rare was looking for a buyer, But surprisingly turned them down.

Rare almost went 3rd Party at one point and was going to be bought out by Activision, But the deal fell apart last minute only for Microsoft to pull up with a dump truck and floor Rare with a $375 million acquisition.

And honestly I can't say that I blame Microsoft. Who wouldn't want to add an elite and talented studio with one hell of library of IP's to their own company? Especially when you have a brand new and upcoming video game divison, console and brand in Xbox.

But we should consider ourselves grateful that Microsoft/Phil Spencer are even willing to play ball regarding Smash and with how this partnership has been going on the past couple of years and with what has been teased as of lately, I really doubt this is the last time we see Microsoft owned Rare IP on a Nintendo console, This may only be the beginning.
Honestly looking at it now, Nintendo, Microsoft and Rare are all to blame for the buyout and what happened afterwards. Rare employees wanted them to stay with Nintendo while the higher ups were all in for being boughtout. Nintendo like you said had plenty of chances to buyout Rare but they never did. Microsoft just sat on most of the Rare IPs after they bought them and never really did much with that potential goldmine of IPs. All 3 companies are to blame here.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace

Who said I only blame Microsoft? I’m actually well aware of that, mind you.

Still, it always seemed rather like Microsoft only bought Rare to lay low on rivalry. Their IPs were left untouched in years only to be made into a mockery, pretty much the only one who got a decent job was Killer Instinct with the 2013 title.
If anything I’d argue Activision would’ve potentially been a better fate for the company given that Rare games would still be part of Nintendo platforms and thus there might’ve possibly been much more Rare content in Smash by now than what there currently is.
Plus, Activision seems to get more rational companies, like Toys 4 Bob, who do a better job at following the source material.

Also I don’t know what you mean by “we” when the only Rare IP to get justice was Banjo Kazooie, a franchise that means absolutely nothing to me. I don’t think it’s impossible, and while I really hope it happens, there’s a high probability that Rare’s other icons and franchises aren’t gonna get the same kind of justice.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

Still, it always seemed rather like Microsoft only bought Rare to lay low on rivalry. Their IPs were left untouched in years only to be made into a mockery, pretty much the only one who got a decent job was Killer Instinct with the 2013 title.
If anything I’d argue Activision would’ve potentially been a better fate for the company given that Rare games would still be part of Nintendo platforms and thus there might’ve possibly been much more Rare content in Smash by now than what there currently is.
Plus, Activision seems to get more rational companies, like Toys 4 Bob, who do a better job at following the source material.

Also I don’t know what you mean by “we” when the only Rare IP to get justice was Banjo Kazooie, a franchise that means absolutely nothing to me. I don’t think it’s impossible, and while I really hope it happens, there’s a high probability that Rare’s other icons and franchises aren’t gonna get the same kind of justice.

Um... because Microsoft is the only one you mentioned? When Nintendo, Microsoft and Rare all played a role in the way the things are today.

I say "We" because I'm talking about the majority of the Rare fanbase or in this case this thread, The average Rare fan is normally a fan of Donkey Kong, Banjo-Kazooie and Conker etc, Obviously your the exception when it comes to BK, But whatever, More power to you.

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Honestly, Perfect Dark Zero wasn't that bad. It's more that it didn't live up to the first game. With the new Perfect Dark; hopefully we will see the same (or better, preferably) quality as the first game.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I say "We" because I'm talking about the majority of the Rare fanbase or in this case this thread, The average Rare fan is normally a fan of Donkey Kong, Banjo-Kazooie and Conker etc, Obviously your the exception when it comes to BK, But whatever, More power to you.
A... That came off as a little rude to Mr. Stevenson Mr. Stevenson .

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
A... That came off as a little rude to Mr. Stevenson Mr. Stevenson .
It wasn't meant to be rude, All I'm stating is that when I meant "We" I meant the Rare fanbase who odds are the majority are fan of multiple of Rare franchises including the most popular ones in Donkey Kong and Banjo-Kazooie, Obviously there's exceptions out there, You don't have to like every franchise from Rare, If you don't care about Banjo-Kazooie that's fine, You do you.

But whatever no sense in snowballing this arguement.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I hope someday if more secondary unique 3rd party reps becomes a thing we get Gruntilda, Mumbo and Dark Queen at some point. But I feel like they're all pipe dreams that will never happen as not even most of the Rare protagonists are in the Smash roster yet like Conker, Joanna Dark, Battletoads and Juno & Vela. If only all these characters were in the roster.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So besides obvious veterans like Banjo & Kazooie and K. Rool, which Rare character would y'all love to see make it into Smash Remix next? Personally, Krystal as they already added Falco and Wolf so why not the one popular Star Fox character who isn't in any official Smash game yet? Or Joanna Dark as it's a N64 mod and if you want to have all the big N64 icons in it you shouldn't forget about her.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The Battletoads brother’s number one favorite video game characters ever. He’s loved them since we were kids. I think they would make for awesome Smash characters and they are among my most wanted as well. I even made a whole support thread for them but it went mostly unnoticed. Fulgore is a close runner up. Killer Instinct is awesome and Fulgore is a really cool character. The Xbox game has a totally amazing soundtrack that I’d love to hear in Smash.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
It will be Xbox's 20th Anniversary this year; is there anything you hope to see from them regarding Rare?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It will be Xbox's 20th Anniversary this year; is there anything you hope to see from them regarding Rare?
I personally want to see a Battletoads game using their classic designs with an actual budget behind it. If that’s impossible, I’d settle for a Killer Instinct sequel. I think it’s great that they’re finally doing something with Perfect Dark again. I hope it is as good as the original.

Top Bottom