• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Pokemon newcomer are you predicting that will be in Smash Ultimate?

Who are you predicting to be the next Pokemon newcomer for Ultimate?

• Decidueye

Votes: 42 23.5%
  • Lycanroc

Votes: 29 16.2%
  • Mimikyu

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • Incineroar

Votes: 53 29.6%
  • Other (List in your post)

Votes: 39 21.8%

• Total voters

UserKev

Smash Champion
Do you really get it?

Do you get why I am very vocal about Team Rocket and Meowth this time?

Because I don't see a second "we" in your post.

"We" are the Smash community.
"We" rallied behind Ridley.
"We" rallied behind King K. Rool.
"We" are rallying behind Waluigi now.
But "we" are not rallying behind Team Rocket and Meowth.

Have you noticed how I am quietly supporting Banjo-Kazooie and Skull Kid and Isaac?

Because "we" are rallying behind Banjo-Kazooie, Skull Kid, and Isaac that I don't need to be very vocal about them like I am with Team Rocket and Meowth.
Meowth and Team Rocket might as well be your most wanted by this point, bud. They aren't even exactly overlooked. They just aren't interesting. Not if Smash doesn't have a story mode at least.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
"They just aren't interesting"

Okay, we are getting somewhere. Why are they not interesting?

UserKev

Smash Champion
"They just aren't interesting"

Okay, we are getting somewhere. Why are they not interesting?
They'd be interesting in a Story Mode, that's it. On free for all matches, they'd be just there, unappealing. I can imagine it and its tedious. A victory for Jessie, James and Meowth isn't a victory. Its just never is. Now Giovanni would be interesting. Generally in any Mode.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Team Rocket was fine as comic relief in the cartoon, and are likable enough characters. Even if their shtick has been going on for two decades, they still have their funny moments. I honestly don't seen anything about them that wows me as a fighter for Smash though, but a trophy would be a nice way to give them some recognition.

C'mon Wobuffet for best counter in the game!
I'm hoping this is a joke. I'll take the hardest of hard passes on any more Counters clogging up Smash.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
UserKev UserKev All right, what does Giovanni have that Team Rocket don't? :confused:

MacDaddyNook MacDaddyNook When you picture Team Rocket as a playable fighter, what kind of fighter do you envision them to be? And why does that vision not "wow" you?

UserKev

Smash Champion
Arcadenik Arcadenik Don’t take the bait, this guy is a known troll.
I just speak my mind, dog. Didn't you even Like some of my posts? If you don't like it, just put me on ignore. Nothing's stopping you. I don't understand why many of you don't do this. Even I'm a victim and used the ignore feature since there are some users I honestly can't stand.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
UserKev UserKev All right, what does Giovanni have that Team Rocket don't? :confused:

MacDaddyNook MacDaddyNook When you picture Team Rocket as a playable fighter, what kind of fighter do you envision them to be? And why does that vision not "wow" you?
Well to be honest, I can't see them being on the battlefield directly without being really akward, so they most-likely would behave similar to Pokemon Trainer.

The problem is that none of their Pokemon would make very fun fighters in my opinion. Ekans/Arbok are rather bland overall and would be very limited in abilities due to lacking appendages, Wobbuffet is all about counters which I feel Smash has too much of, Koffing/Weezing mostly just blow smoke or explode which leaves Meowth who can bite and scratch, and maybe throw coins despite the cannon, but again doesn't stand out enough for me. They have their later Pokemon like Cacnea and Inkay, but those don't stand out enough to me either.

They're not horrible, but they don't hold my interest either.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I feel like if there was a Team Rocket fighter, they'd go the Pokemon Trainer route and make it a Team Rocket Grunt (with a female alt) or a Team Rocket Leader (Who would obviously be Giovanni) and give them "evil/mean" pokemon that would better fit Smash.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
If they do another trainer I'd be surprised ( not unpleasantly mind you i'm a genwunner at heart ) if they double dipped on gen 1. I see a gen 3 or a more current trainer getting in, or if they're going the villain route, either Guzma or N, since they seem to be more successful characters than any of the game characters from Team Rocket.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Well to be honest, I can't see them being on the battlefield directly without being really akward, so they most-likely would behave similar to Pokemon Trainer.

The problem is that none of their Pokemon would make very fun fighters in my opinion. Ekans/Arbok are rather bland overall and would be very limited in abilities due to lacking appendages, Wobbuffet is all about counters which I feel Smash has too much of, Koffing/Weezing mostly just blow smoke or explode which leaves Meowth who can bite and scratch, and maybe throw coins despite the cannon, but again doesn't stand out enough for me. They have their later Pokemon like Cacnea and Inkay, but those don't stand out enough to me either.

They're not horrible, but they don't hold my interest either.
The only thing I can see making Meowth's move set exciting is if he heavily uses bombs. Not any bombs tho. The classic Bomb Ombs. I want Moewth to work as a echo shot out to Bomber Man. If a handle detonator isn't done right, Its totally bland.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Team Rocket was fine as comic relief in the cartoon, and are likable enough characters. Even if their shtick has been going on for two decades, they still have their funny moments. I honestly don't seen anything about them that wows me as a fighter for Smash though, but a trophy would be a nice way to give them some recognition.

I'm hoping this is a joke. I'll take the hardest of hard passes on any more Counters clogging up Smash.
Counters are a great move competitively, and many of them function very differently.
Wobbuffet is a famous with more airtime than almost any, and is the epitome of a counter. If we get a Rocket or Meowth, I dont see a world where we dont get a counter. Maybe two- one for specials and one for physicals. The highest risk/reward of all counters.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Counters are a great move competitively, and many of them function very differently.
Wobbuffet is a famous with more airtime than almost any, and is the epitome of a counter. If we get a Rocket or Meowth, I dont see a world where we dont get a counter. Maybe two- one for specials and one for physicals. The highest risk/reward of all counters.
If that's the case, then I'm far far happier with them excluded then. Counter is just so overdone, the team really needs to be more creative and not keep flooding the game with it.

Last edited:

KingTorra

Smash Cadet
My most wanted, and most expected is Incineroar. If you ask me, the most Interesting and most reasonable choice. Thing like Team Rocket and Masked Royale, although I'm not sure if there just jokes, just don't seem to make sense to work in Smash.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If that's the case, then I'm far far happier with them excluded then. Counter is just so overdone, the team really needs to be more creative and not keep flooding the game with it.
That is not far off from saying, "too many recovery moves." It just doesn't register as logical to me.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
That is not far off from saying, "too many recovery moves." It just doesn't register as logical to me.
Fair enough. Though I see much more variety in recovery moves than counters, but I get your point.

The "push button, strike back" counter are all pretty similar regardless if Little Mac, Shulk, Lucario, Marth, etc use it. If there are differences, they're so subtle I don't see it. And getting so many just becomes stale.

I don't mind Ryu's, which functions entirely different, or Bayonetta's which slows down foes instead of just hitting the. The worst offender in Smash 4 was Palutena, since it made no sense for her to get one. Though giving hers Reflector properties im Ultimate at least makes it somewhat unique (I still would prefer giving her one of her alternate moves instead).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Fair enough. Though I see much more variety in recovery moves than counters, but I get your point.

The "push button, strike back" counter are all pretty similar regardless if Little Mac, Shulk, Lucario, Marth, etc use it. If there are differences, they're so subtle I don't see it. And getting so many just becomes stale.

I don't mind Ryu's, which functions entirely different, or Bayonetta's which slows down foes instead of just hitting the. The worst offender in Smash 4 was Palutena, since it made no sense for her to get one. Though giving hers Reflector properties im Ultimate at least makes it somewhat unique (I still would prefer giving her one of her alternate moves instead).
Palutena's is my favorite, currently. It's like the smackdown of a Goddess telling you to talk to the hand.

Revan2005

Smash Rookie
I may be the only one to say this, but if we get a new Pokemon rep, I feel that it should be something that needs more rep, and by that I mean the spin-off series, namely Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. One of the best series ever made, one of the most recognizable spin-off series that Nintendo has, and seeing that Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon are Nintendo’s big three series, and Dr. Mario and Toon Link both represent the Spin off series for Mario and Zelda, its about time that Pokemon get their own, and in my opinion, I believe that Darkria would be the best option. He would be the first true Pokemon villain (no Mewtwo does not count), is a highly popular pokemon, being the main surprise protagonist to Explorers of Time, Space, and Air (Spoilers) which did the best out of the four, and in my opinion, was the actual best, with the first and third being ok, but the fourth completely bombing, I just think that the second game would be the first out of the four to get rep in smash. ot only that, but he does have potential to be a Mewtwo eco fighter, or give him the Isabelle and Dr. Mario treatment, being a suedo-clone, both using physic attacks, shadowball, teleport, it would be that hard to implement, although he made need some physical rework overall. However, i do think he has a chance, and would be the first pokemon villain, if Pokemon was willing to put a villain into smash to begin with. :)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I may be the only one to say this, but if we get a new Pokemon rep, I feel that it should be something that needs more rep, and by that I mean the spin-off series, namely Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. One of the best series ever made, one of the most recognizable spin-off series that Nintendo has, and seeing that Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon are Nintendo’s big three series, and Dr. Mario and Toon Link both represent the Spin off series for Mario and Zelda, its about time that Pokemon get their own, and in my opinion, I believe that Darkria would be the best option. He would be the first true Pokemon villain (no Mewtwo does not count), is a highly popular pokemon, being the main surprise protagonist to Explorers of Time, Space, and Air (Spoilers) which did the best out of the four, and in my opinion, was the actual best, with the first and third being ok, but the fourth completely bombing, I just think that the second game would be the first out of the four to get rep in smash. ot only that, but he does have potential to be a Mewtwo eco fighter, or give him the Isabelle and Dr. Mario treatment, being a suedo-clone, both using physic attacks, shadowball, teleport, it would be that hard to implement, although he made need some physical rework overall. However, i do think he has a chance, and would be the first pokemon villain, if Pokemon was willing to put a villain into smash to begin with. :)
Darkrai would be cool.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I think it would make a pretty rad boss, honestly.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
If we got a mystery dungeon rep it would be Grovyle. The Treecko evolution chain is just to popular to be completely ignored like it has.

Last edited:

Revan2005

Smash Rookie
If we got a mystery dungeon rep it would be Grovyle. The Treecko evolution chain is just to popular to be completely ignored like it has.
I could see them possibly doing Grovyle. The only problem is that Sceptile is more popular. Not to mention, as much as I hate it, I have a feeling that if we get a Mystery Dungeon rep, it will be made a pokemon echo fighter. Its so minor compared to the main series, that they might be willing to acknowledge it, but no make it that big. That my mind automatically went to Darkrai as a Mewtwo echo. I might be able to see them making Grovyle a Grenija Echo, with two having a relationship in the anime, and both having similar physical attacks. They would need to change the water shuriken into a razor leaf, but In the end, if we get a mystery dungeon rep, it is going to be Grovyle or Darkria

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I could see them possibly doing Grovyle. The only problem is that Sceptile is more popular. Not to mention, as much as I hate it, I have a feeling that if we get a Mystery Dungeon rep, it will be made a pokemon echo fighter. Its so minor compared to the main series, that they might be willing to acknowledge it, but no make it that big. That my mind automatically went to Darkrai as a Mewtwo echo. I might be able to see them making Grovyle a Grenija Echo, with two having a relationship in the anime, and both having similar physical attacks. They would need to change the water shuriken into a razor leaf, but In the end, if we get a mystery dungeon rep, it is going to be Grovyle or Darkria
But as of now at least, with Darkrai having been deconfirmed, Grovyle is definitely the most likely for a mystery dungeon rep, and as long as we get one pokemon from Sceptile’s evolution line, I wouldn’t care which of the three it is.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m expecting Incineroar but I’m really hoping for Gengar, Golisopod, or something completely off the wall like fused Lusamine or Lysander that actually fight themselves but use their Pokémon for various attacks (similar to Yuna in Dissidia).

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Definitely going with Incineroar now.

Kinda unfortunate imo, there's so many other Gen 7 Pokemon that could've brought something new and exciting to the roster like Golisopod or Lycanroc.(Doesn't help that Incineroar's design to me isn't... appealing)

Hopefully we get some awesome music from S/M to go with him though. I'm expecting a nice remix or port of the Elite 4 theme, because that's easily one of the best compositions in the Gen 7 games.(Apart from Ultra Necrozma's battle, obviously)

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Hopefully we get some awesome music from S/M to go with him though. I'm expecting a nice remix or port of the Elite 4 theme, because that's easily one of the best compositions in the Gen 7 games.(Apart from Ultra Necrozma's battle, obviously)
What awesome music? Imo Sun and Moon have the second worst music out of every gen, the only thing having lesser music being XY. I suppose Mt. Lanakila does have a good track tho.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Definitely going with Incineroar now.

Kinda unfortunate imo, there's so many other Gen 7 Pokemon that could've brought something new and exciting to the roster like Golisopod or Lycanroc.(Doesn't help that Incineroar's design to me isn't... appealing)

The only way they can make up for their lack of a playable Ultra Beast is to put the UB theme from Sun/Moon in the game and have an Ultra Necrozma boss battle (accompanied by that battle theme, of course).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Someone that isn't Incineroar. That's all I'll say.
I used to not be for Incineroar.
I'm still hoping for Team Rocket and Eevee, but I have to say, I've never had a concept grow on me more than Incineroar.
He is the fusion of my two recently passed childhood kittens. Somehow that never fully dawned on me.
And so, completely selfishly, I would easily latch onto him as a character. Even if it does nothing to better represent the Pokemon series as a whole.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I used to not be for Incineroar.
I'm still hoping for Team Rocket and Eevee, but I have to say, I've never had a concept grow on me more than Incineroar.
He is the fusion of my two recently passed childhood kittens. Somehow that never fully dawned on me.
And so, completely selfishly, I would easily latch onto him as a character. Even if it does nothing to better represent the Pokemon series as a whole.
I don't doubt on Incineroar because I hate him. I find him to be one of the best Pokemon starter designs ever made plus Pokemon needed more pro-wrestling Pokemon besides the Machamp line. I also do like cats and Smash Bros seems to be empty of them.

I just don't believe he will be the new Pokemon for Smash Ultimate.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Watch Sakurai knock Vergeben’s credibility completely out by not adding Ken, because we all know that pokemon will definitely get a newcomer.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't doubt on Incineroar because I hate him. I find him to be one of the best Pokemon starter designs ever made plus Pokemon needed more pro-wrestling Pokemon besides the Machamp line. I also do like cats and Smash Bros seems to be empty of them.
I just don't believe he will be the new Pokemon for Smash Ultimate.
I'm not against a grappling style character, I just dont think there is much value in relegating that to the Pokemon series. I really hope we get a Pokemon that showcases more about the franchise itself, and the mechanics of the Pokemon world. Like Eevee focusing on evolution. Or something else entirely that is based around a core mechanic of the Pokemon world.
A wrestling character can come from a game that has more to do with that mechanic.

Watch Sakurai knock Vergeben’s credibility completely out by not adding Ken, because we all know that pokemon will definitely get a newcomer.
I can see a situation where we don't get a Pokemon until DLC.
They are a guaranteed cash cow, and while I don't think that Nintendo will actively put characters off with that in mind, the temptation with Pokemon is just so strong, that it may allow characters to get less priority for the base game.

Machete

Smash Ace
There's absolutely no way they -don't- add a new Pokémon. I figured Isabelle was a reminder that obvious picks are obvious for a reason. They're not gonna pass on a visually distinctive, unique, extremely popular character, which would fit just about any Pokémon. Add in that Sakurai only really gets to choose among who The Pokémon Company plans to advertise, and the choice is obviously a Gen VII character.

For variety's sake, it should've been an Ultra Beast, or Tapu Koko, or Necrozma, or Nihilego after fusing with Lusamine, or something, but it seems painfully obvious at this point it'll be Incineroar. Which I am not a fan of, but no other Pokémon has anything pointing out to him and he lines up with the likes of Greninja.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I'd say Decidueye; WE ALREADY have a Fully-Evolved Fire Starter(Charizard) AND A Fully-evolved Water Starter(Greninja; all we need is a fully-evolved GRASS-TYPE Starter pokemon!!

WE DON'T NEED 2 FIRE-TYPE FINAL EVOLUTIONS; And that's why I'm against Incineroar's potential Inclusion; Because We already have a Brutal Fighter(Ridley) AND A Fire-Type Final Evolution of a Starter Pokemon(Charizard); Ergo, It's primary Niches for possible inclusion has already been filled by pre-existing Characters in Super Smash Bros Ultimate!!

But Decidueye has 2 things going for it:
A. Grass-type Starter Final Evolution
B. It's a Unique type of Fighter; Primarily using Arrows; We have yet to see a Character Primarily Associated with Archery as a whole motif and not just limited to the special Moves, I.E. Link, Toon Link, Young Link, Pit & Dark Pit don't COUNT At all; as those are just their neutral specials and nothing more.

Last edited:

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Misty as a new counterpart to Pokémon Trainer. Give her Starmie and two other strong, popular Pokémon (Preferably both Water-type).

Before I forget, as for singular monsters: S T A N S I L V A L L Y O R E L S E

Last edited:
Top Bottom