• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which playable characters as of now, do you think would make great assist trophies instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Everyone loves to have their favorite and most wanted characters to be playable. But not everyone wants all characters to be playable. So which current playable characters do you think would make great assist trophies instead of fighters?

In my opinion, I've already mentioned that Joker/Ren and Piranha Plant would make great assist trophies.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
This has potential to get messy.

I guess I could say Piranha Plant. Last night I played him against three friends and amongst the chaos we have with items on one of the friends mistook me for an item and tried to pick me up only to get KO'd for his trouble.

Can't blame him really since Plants have been items in a few other games we'd been playing recently like Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Aside from him, Dark Samus was more interesting ability wise as an assist trophy.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Pokémon Trainer could have been an amazing Assist Trophy, using one of 3 Starters per-release.

Chrom, does it go without saying?

Ken should have been an assist. :glare:

Joker comes off typically as an Assist to me.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I guess I could say Piranha Plant. Last night I played him against three friends and amongst the chaos we have with items on one of the friends mistook me for an item and tried to pick me up only to get KO'd for his trouble.

Can't blame him really since Plants have been items in a few other games we'd been playing recently like Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
I knew you were going to mention about Piranha Plant. But I would keep Ridley and Daisy, if Waluigi gets promoted in Smash 6.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Tbf I actually really like Plant, but he's definitely the closest to expendable I can think of as a fighter bar maybe Dr. Mario...who I wouldn't even give an assist status to honestly if I had my way.

Dude should only be an alt outfit at best.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Literally no one; I'm glad all of the characters we got are playable (even Echoes like Dark Samus, who'll probably get Luigified in a future title).

UserKev

Smash Champion
Literally no one; I'm glad all of the characters we got are playable (even Echoes like Dark Samus, who'll probably get Luigified in a future title).
Not even Chrom? He's another clone of Marth and even the number where he represents it is beyond reason.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Not even Chrom? He's another clone of Marth and even the number where he represents it is beyond reason.
I'd honestly keep Chrom and scrap the rest of them given half a chance. I'm a maverick though. I just like Chrom as a character more than I do Marth, Lucina or (most likely given the chance to play his game) Roy.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
that STUPID plant! sorry my dislike for this character (if you can even call it a character cause it's a plant...) is showing! >.>

Crystanium

Smash Hero
If Dark Samus was relegated to her, uh, not so former glory, I'd want a Metroid to take her place. I'd actually prefer ZSS becoming an assist trophy. No need for two Samus'. At least Dark Samus is her own person, well, physically speaking.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
None. I'm not one of those people who get thrown into fits when one character out of a roster of 80 doesn't match their taste lol. Every character we have now is relatively harmless. It's not like we have a character from one of those edgy pro-terrorism games you'll find on some 4chan thread. :p

If I had to pick for the purpose of the thread though, probably Captain Falcon just to see the reactions. See guys? They decloned Ganondorf!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The plant. But for the sake of variety the other 2 characters i'd demote to assist trophy status are Villager and Isabelle.

D

Deleted member

While I don't want to turn any current fighter into an assist throphy, I do wonder how some could work as one.

Diddy could probably fly through the stage on his jetpack while shooting the opponents with his peanut guns, for example.

But yeah, don't really wish to make any current fighter an assist throphy.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Plant like it should have been in the first place.
The Plant. Only character on the roster that I would say this for by far.

Literally half the current Assist Trophies are far more deserving.
Plant, without a doubt nor hesitation.
that STUPID plant! sorry my dislike for this character (if you can even call it a character cause it's a plant...) is showing! >.>
The plant.
We all want Piranha Plant to be an assist trophy, but it's already too late to have it as an assist trophy in Smash 6. But on the bright side Waluigi still has a high chance for being playable in Smash 6.

Pokémon Trainer could have been an amazing Assist Trophy, using one of 3 Starters per-release.

Chrom, does it go without saying?

Kev should have been an assist. :glare:

Joker comes off typically as an Assist to me.
I think we can keep Pokemon Trainer, Chrom, and Ken, but I still agree that Joker would make a great assist trophy due to not meriting to be playable. On the other hand, if Ken was an assist trophy, then Zero or Arthur (Ghosts and Goblins) would've been playable.

If Dark Samus was relegated to her, uh, not so former glory, I'd want a Metroid to take her place. I'd actually prefer ZSS becoming an assist trophy. No need for two Samus'. At least Dark Samus is her own person, well, physically speaking.
But since Samus is playable, then ZSS can't be an assist trophy because the two are the same entity. It's like we can't have Mario be playable and have Dr. Mario as an assist trophy or vice versa.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
None. I'm not one of those people who get thrown into fits when one character out of a roster of 80 doesn't match their taste lol. Every character we have now is relatively harmless. It's not like we have a character from one of those edgy pro-terrorism games you'll find on some 4chan thread. :p

If I had to pick for the purpose of the thread though, probably Captain Falcon just to see the reactions. See guys? They declined Ganondorf!
Aye, defend one of your mains. I would, to. Captain Falcon at least is unique. Chrom is cloned and if it wasn't for it, my Lyn would have probably got in. :hulk:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Aye, defend one of your mains. I would, to. Captain Falcon at least is unique. Chrom is cloned and if it wasn't for it, my Lyn would have probably got in. :hulk:
Chrom got in as an echo fighter, thats something that takes so little time and effort to make compared to a character thats made from the ground up.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Among Echo Fighters Chrom is literally the second most unique, only behind Ken, by a considerable margin.

Lyn wouldn't have gotten in regardless. It was Chrom or nobody. Intelligent Systems wasn't even aware of how popular Lyn was until the first Choose Your Legends poll in 2017. The Ultimate roster was decided in 2015. There is literally no way Lyn would have been playable given the timeframe that we're working with.

Add onto that that Lyn couldn't be an echo and the argument of "Chrom prevented Lyn from getting in" is just incredibly uninformed.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
We all want Piranha Plant to be an assist trophy, but it's already too late to have it as an assist trophy in Smash 6. But on the bright side Waluigi still has a high chance for being playable in Smash 6.
Why is it too late, exactly? What makes it too late compared to all the other characters its not too late for?

I think we can keep Pokemon Trainer, Chrom, and Ken, but I still agree that Joker would make a great assist trophy due to not meriting to be playable. On the other hand, if Ken was an assist trophy, then Zero or Arthur (Ghosts and Goblins) would've been playable.
Joker has plenty of merit to be playable. Persona is a great series that earned its playable representation.

Again, why is it "too late" for Plant to be AT but not Joker (for you)?

But since Samus is playable, then ZSS can't be an assist trophy because the two are the same entity. It's like we can't have Mario be playable and have Dr. Mario as an assist trophy or vice versa.
Agreed. ZSS should not be an AT, she has her own unique moveset and there are plenty who like playing as her.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Only one that I really enjoyed more as a role of an AT was Isabelle. I honestly loved the idea of a helper character who throws simple healing items for players(she's fun to play as too, of course). The fact we didn't get a nice replacement of that is sad. I'm also sad we didn't get a Resetti replacement.

But yeah, I never found PP that great as an AT choice. It works better as a playable character due to easily moving and representing a lot of the various Mario rpg's with many of its abilities, or a regular Stage Hazard where it's stationary outside of moving up and down. It'd just look weird coming from the bottom of the screen to randomly lifts its neck up to attack. A lot of AT's do come out of nowhere, but they feel no less weird.

Though I wouldn't mind Petey Piranha and King Hippo as AT's~

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Why is it too late, exactly? What makes it too late compared to all the other characters its not too late for?

Joker has plenty of merit to be playable. Persona is a great series that earned its playable representation.

Again, why is it "too late" for Plant to be AT but not Joker (for you)?
Uhh, it's actually too late for both of them to be assist trophies in Smash 6 because all playable characters will be present from now on. And also, if you compare Joker/Ren's iconicess to Quote (Cave Story), Beck (Mighty no 9) Yuri (Fatal Frame), Shovel Knight, Akira (Virtura Fighter) who are assist trophies, you will realize that Joker/Ren is definitely a character who merits to be an assist trophy instead of a playable character.

D

Deleted member

:ultluigi:would likely trap opponents with the poltergust and mess with them by using it if he was an assist.

:ultdoc: Would be at the Background throwing pills to the battlefield with the three virusses getting near the opponents to make it more possible to harm them.

:ultfalco::ultfox: :ultwolf:could either work like Latias/Latios or drop bombs at the battlefield through the Arwings.

:ultmegaman: could be pulled similar to Shovel Knight.

Not saying that I want these characters as assist trophies (It would feel as a shame if that happened to my man Mega).

But it is fun to imagine how the fighters could work as ones.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Uhh, it's actually too late for both of them to be assist trophies in Smash 6 because all playable characters will be present from now on. And also, if you compare Joker/Ren's iconicess to Quote (Cave Story), Beck (Mighty no 9) Yuri (Fatal Frame), Shovel Knight, Akira (Virtura Fighter) who are assist trophies, you will realize that Joker/Ren is definitely a character who merits to be an assist trophy instead of a playable character.
Nope. Persona is more iconic and has sold more than most of those series. You're letting your personal bias get in the way.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
kaithehedgefox said:
Then have Samus remain in the suit, since she spends like 99% of the time in her armor and bring in another Metroid character like a Zeta Metroid.

Agreed. ZSS should not be an AT, she has her own unique moveset and there are plenty who like playing as her.
Almost every character (excluding echo fighters) have a unique moveset and there are plenty of people who like playing as them. By this logic, no character should be an assist trophy, including potential characters.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
By this logic, no character should be an assist trophy, including potential characters.
Great Idea! No one on the roster should be an AT aside from the obvious one.

But there are plenty of characters that would fit better as an AT, including Plant and other generic mooks like Thwomp and such.
ZSS most certainly does not fit in that category however, and should remain playable, as she's been since Brawl.

Then have Samus remain in the suit, since she spends like 99% of the time in her armor and bring in another Metroid character like a Zeta Metroid.
Not how it works, they are still the same entity.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Great Idea! No one on the roster should be an AT aside from the obvious one.
Then you probably should leave, since this thread is about taking playable characters and changing them into assist trophies.

But there are plenty of characters that would fit better as an AT, including Plant and other generic mooks like Thwomp and such.
Considering Piranha Plant is a playable character, Sakurai has opened the door to including your typical non-boss villains.

ZSS most certainly does not fit in that category however, and should remain playable, as she's been since Brawl.
So? This isn't an argument, it's an opinion.

Not how it works, they are still the same entity.
Sure it does, in the same way removing Doctor Mario from the roster doesn't affect Mario's place in the roster. But, this isn't so much about the self-same person as it is about what that person wears. Since the power suit is worn over the zero suit, Samus can be a playable character without Zero Suit Samus being split as her own "person", if she could be called such. The same is true with Mario, whose doctor uniform can be relegated to an alternate skin.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Then you probably should leave, since this thread is about taking playable characters and changing them into assist trophies.
Right back at you.
Considering Piranha Plant is a playable character, Sakurai has opened the door to including your typical non-boss villains.
Yeah, and that was a horrible decision that should stay as a one time thing.
So? This isn't an argument, it's an opinion.
That actually applies to most of your comments.
Sure it does, in the same way removing Doctor Mario from the roster doesn't affect Mario's place in the roster. But, this isn't so much about the self-same person as it is about what that person wears. Since the power suit is worn over the zero suit, Samus can be a playable character without Zero Suit Samus being split as her own "person", if she could be called such. The same is true with Mario, whose doctor uniform can be relegated to an alternate skin.
Well, Zero Suit Samus was part of Samus in Brawl, and seeing as Sakurai chose not to bring that back for Ultimate while bringing back Pokemon Trainer, it's quite clear that ZSS being separate was more popular.
Also removing Dr. Mario didn't affect Mario's place because they didn't make him an AT. Also Dr. Mario is a semiclone so he can be an alternate skin. What does this even have to do with anything?

Perhaps you should leave?

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
I do miss Isabelle's AT.
Kind of wish they kept it while keeping her as a fighter just like what they did with Chrom.

But oh well, she's a real cool character tho.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Right back at you.

Yeah, and that was a horrible decision that should stay as a one time thing.

That actually applies to most of your comments.

Well, Zero Suit Samus was part of Samus in Brawl, and seeing as Sakurai chose not to bring that back for Ultimate while bringing back Pokemon Trainer, it's quite clear that ZSS being separate was more popular.
Also removing Dr. Mario didn't affect Mario's place because they didn't make him an AT. Also Dr. Mario is a semiclone so he can be an alternate skin. What does this even have to do with anything?

Perhaps you should leave?
I'm not the one who said, "Great idea! No one on the roster should be an AT aside from the obvious one." Since that's what you believe, and since that alone would invalidate this thread entirely, it doesn't make sense for you to continue being here.

Another opinion without elucidating on why it was a horrible idea.

I give reasons for why I make the opinions I do, at least.

PT only returned for the "Everyone is here" concept. He was gone during SSB4. Not only that, but some characters who were in SSBB weren't in SSB4, making your assertion, that is, ZSS should stay since she has been present since SSBB, unsupported. You also assert ZSS no longer requiring certain button inputs as her being popular, but not only do you lack evidence, the reasoning is a non sequitur.

As for Doc, since Doc is Mario, and since you think ZSS has to stay since Samus would stay, I had to explain to you that removing ZSS wouldn't remove Samus, since though they're the same person, the zero suit is worn under the power suit, thus Samus can remain playable while removing ZSS as a selectable character. So it is with Doc.

I will leave, though, but not because you want me to. The last thing I need on SmashBoards is getting infracted because people take **** personally when they don't have an argument. And I understand most people like to get in the last word. That'll show me!

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Basic rule of thumb; you don't get to decide if a user should leave the thread or not. Dial it back. Also, if somebody is breaking a rule, report it. Do not try to backseat moderate. It's not your business to do so. You have literally no power to actually enforce anything. And yes, there's a huge difference between friendly advice(and do note that the thread owner is allowed to say something related to the thread rules, because it's their thread. They are not the final authority however) and backseat moderation. Citing rules for the sake of using it as an argument or try to drive others out is backseat moderation. Trying to help a user out with a suggestion is friendly advice.

Speaking of, please try to be respectful when debating. It's getting too hostile over nothing.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Nope. Persona is more iconic and has sold more than most of those series. You're letting your personal bias get in the way.
But I've aforementioned that Joker/Ren is one of the less iconic characters along with Beck (Mighty no 9), Quote (Cave Story), Yuri (Fatal Frame), Shovel Knight, Lilac (Freedom Planet). Although he's iconic, he's not as iconic as Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, Simon, Bomberman, Kyo (King of Fighters), Ryu, Ryu Hayabusa, Arthur (Ghosts and Goblins).

To be honest, I would be happy with having Joker as an assist trophy. It would be pretty much just as bad as having Yuri as an assist trophy, which isn't a bad idea at all. And having Yuri as a playable character would be just as bad as having Joker/Ren as a playable character.

See the power levels are getting all tied up.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
To be honest, I would be happy with having Joker as an assist trophy. It would be pretty much just as bad as having Yuri as an assist trophy, which isn't a bad idea at all. And having Yuri as a playable character would be just as bad as having Joker/Ren as a playable character.
Neither would be "bad". They're both great characters. Iconicness has nothing to do with whether a character is fit to be playable.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
But I've aforementioned that Joker/Ren is one of the less iconic characters along with Beck (Mighty no 9), Quote (Cave Story), Yuri (Fatal Frame), Shovel Knight, Lilac (Freedom Planet). Although he's iconic, he's not as iconic as Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, Simon, Bomberman, Kyo (King of Fighters), Ryu, Ryu Hayabusa, Arthur (Ghosts and Goblins).

See the power levels are getting all tied up.
>Mighty No. 9
>Iconic, and moreso than Perosna
D234DCDD-4D1B-4AC5-97CC-AFBEBF3C6AC9.jpeg

In all seriousness, the only one I wished stayed an Assist Trophy for, say, Adeleine and Ribbon. Everyone else, especially Banjo and K. Rool, are fine with me (although I am interested to simply see how someone like the Inklings could work as Assist Trophies).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom