• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which moves will benefit most from run cancels

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Here's a fun thread where veteran players can look at their Smash 4 mains and try to decide which of their moves have gotten the biggest boost in viability thanks to dash cancels. To be clear, the moves you could already perform from a run in Smash 4 were your four special moves, turnaround F-tilt, turnaround F-Smash, dash and pivot grabs, shield grab, and jump cancelled U-Smash. Now all your grounded attacks are added to the list and I know that's got me thinking of a character's moveset in new ways.

:ultbowser: U-tilt for challenging landings. Bowser's Usmash is invincible for much of its duration and can kill very early, but it's falling hitbox is very unreliable for dealing with opponents that air dodged through it. Now air dodges have even less landing lag while directional air dodges ensure that falling hitbox will almost never save you. U-tilt seems to be the perfect fall back move, likely leading to some combos and having enough upward disjoint to potentially beat a Cloud D-air back in Smash 4. I think you could make arguments for many of Bowser's moves that have been held back by his mediocre walk.
:ultkirby:U-tilt again. I'm not expecting Smash 64 levels of spamming Utilts, but Kirby's running pretty fast in this game, and turning around is no longer a problem. I will note however all of Kirby's smash attacks have gotten relevant upgrades. Fsmash goes further which means it crosses up shields better. Dsmash finally sends horzontally, leading to an edgeguard. And Usmash has faster startup. And really Kirby's going to get a lot of mileage just from being able to crouch during a run and squeezing into blindspots of various aerials.
:ultlittlemac::Dtilt. Even with an endlag increase this move is long range, quick, and still a non-commital poke with respectable damage. And that sort of safety is still vital for somebody like Little Mac as you inch the opponent closer to kill %

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
:ultgnw: d-tilt - the amount of stage he could cover with a dash table flip is mind boggling. Before you asked this question it hadn't even occurred to me. This move is already great for deflecting projectiles and opponents alike. It shield pokes well and can pop up airborne opponemts (leading to ridiculous juggling antics). It also works for ledgeguarding in its own weird way. Dashing with this move will increase the range of his neutral game options amd obviously lead to even more mind games that he is made to dish out better than anyone else in the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom