• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Link will you favor most?

Which Link will you favor most?

• Link

Votes: 52 31.5%
  • Young Link

Votes: 81 49.1%
  • Toon Link

Votes: 32 19.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Frankly, it's absurd that this game will have three representations of the same character. (Yeah, yeah. Shut up timeline historians!) Which one will you spend the most time with?

Quick Links:
Link Forum
Young Link Forum
Toon Link Forum

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I've stuck by OG Link, and I'm not changing anytime soon. It may even be a new play style, but it's always a Link's life for me.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
It'll most likely be a toss up between :4link: BOTW Link and :younglinkmelee: Young Link for me. Melee Link is what I learned Smash on so I've gotten used to it. Though I didn't use young link in that game because of lack of range. Still, there's a chance I'll use Young Link. Breath of the Wild Link has been looking pretty nice and I really love the remote bomb mechanic. Lack of tether is a bummer though. If I was forced to pick right now. Probably BOTW Link because he's one of the heavy characters that hasn't been a problem for me to use.

:toonlink: Toon Link would take some time getting used to because what he goes for and what normal Link goes for are completley different things. Also being stuck in the air for so long just doesn't feel safe when the enemy gets close. I probably won't use him because he's just very hard for me to adjust to his playstyle. I prefer Link's Nair and his low jump with fast fall (which is 3rd fastest).

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
Considering Took Link is my favorite canonically, and his smaller, faster playstyle won my heart in Brawl and Sm4sh, I'll probably stick with him.
And I know this doesn't matter to many smashers, but canonically, he's also a completely different characters, only NAMED after the old hero, Link. All the others are reincarnations, but in WW timeline, Link was sent back to a different timeline and so the soul of the Hero disappeared from that timeline. Or so I've always interpreted.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Considering Took Link is my favorite canonically, and his smaller, faster playstyle won my heart in Brawl and Sm4sh, I'll probably stick with him.
And I know this doesn't matter to many smashers, but canonically, he's also a completely different characters, only NAMED after the old hero, Link. All the others are reincarnations, but in WW timeline, Link was sent back to a different timeline and so the soul of the Hero disappeared from that timeline. Or so I've always interpreted.
The official timeline was a mistake.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Hard to say. I like Adult Link's new change, and Toon Link is from my most favorite Zelda game. Will have to experiment carefully. Though I am interested in Young Link for his infinite jab.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Toon Link was my most wanted character back in the days of Brawl and when he was still dubbed by the fans as "Wind Waker Link" Of course I'll be sticking with him as my main. I do like that they finally replaced the Twilight Princess design with Breath of the Wild for Link though.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
This character is weird for me. I always loved Link's moveset, but I couldn't care less about the character. (He's cute in this one now, but I'm not big on the changes) On the other hand, I adore Toon Link but never liked playing him.

It's why I'm happy about Young Link, he's a perfect compromise.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I've always stuck with real Link over the young or toon forms, but we'll see.

I wasn't hoping for too many changes to Link, and as a Lefty it's a bit of a betrayal that Link's losing that. However, I can't turn my back on him that easily. Still, the return of Young Link will definitely get me to pick him way more often than I used to, particularly if he has a Fierce Deity final smash.

Toon Link however can stay in the trash pile with the rest of the characters I only play when I have to. Not that I don't like him in - I am so stoked on all vets returning - I just have a list of characters who I don't really play

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Link. Always played him, even at 5 or 6 years old playing Smash 64. One of my favorite series in the world and Adult Link has aleays been my favorite. Turning into an adult was one of the greatest moments I've had in OoT.

Also, Wild Link's new style direction seems promising. I prefer Link's heavy weight and he looks like he can actually move this time around. Remote bombs are awesome and I'm excited to use BotW Link as it quickly became one of my all time favorite Zeldas (tied with Twilight Princess).

Young Link is great too though. I'll probably use him a bit.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
This was a very hard choice between Young Link and Link. :younglinkmelee: was my favorite Link for the longest time, and that's due to my playthroughs of OoT/MM. In a way, he represents my childhood, and in Melee, I enjoyed playing as him more than :linkmelee:.
My favorite Zelda game of all time used to be a tie between Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask, but now that title belongs to Breath of the Wild. I still play the game to this day, constantly finding new Korok Seeds and cool tricks/locations I've never seen before. BoTW Link's main costume is his Champion's tunic, which is my favorite look for him, partly due to my favorite color being blue. As a long-time Zelda fan who's played every single game, I always look forward to new and refreshing stuff in the series, so BoTW Link to me represents that in a way.

As you can tell, I have plenty to say about Breath of the Wild, and after seeing Link in action at E3, I'd have to say I'll be maining the heck out of the Champion of Hyrule.

D

Deleted member

Link, Toon and Young Link are cool but the main Link is who I'll use.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
When I saw that Young Link was returning, I immediately rose in excitement. When I learned he also has a Dark Link alt, my hype for him increased twofold.

I've been wanting him back since Brawl. And now that he's back, you can be damn sure I'll be using him.

BotW Link and his Remote bombs sounds really cool. I get Snake vibes off that. The new changes he has sounds pretty fun.

I'm not really bought into Toon Link yet. Nothing was really shown of him that makes me interested.

Overall- my vote is on Young Link- or more specifically, Dark Young Link.

darkylink.png

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I'm probably using either Young Link or Toon Link. Usually I play adult Link but the BOTW style doesn't appeal to me. In Brawl I switched to Toon Link since Adult Link was too slow to do anything.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I think Link will likely be my first main again, like in every Smash Bros. title. However, Young Link eventually became my main in Melee due to his mobility and small hurt boxes so it's hard to say how the cards will fall. Sm4sh was the first time I really ventured away from Link and I ended up really big on Pac-Man and G&W. I think that Young Link and Wild Link will create a diverse enough playset that I won't feel the need to venture outward again.

So, Wild Link will most definitely be my first main. Where it goes from there will depend on how my Hylian buddies play.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
Most likely Y. Link, since he'll probably be the closest to Melee Link. Though, big Link has some really nice data on the startup of a lot of his stuff now, and if Y. Link doesn't get the same treatment I'll probably just run Link.

D

Deleted member

Cool too see all the Links being given a shot regardless their all great characters, when a person mains them right.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Cool too see all the Links being given a shot regardless their all great characters, when a person mains them right.
To my surprise, Young Link seems to be the popular one... must be the fire arrows lol

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
None of them; I would like TP Link to come back as an Echo.

But I guess I'll favor Young Link in the meantime...

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Most likely Y. Link, since he'll probably be the closest to Melee Link. Though, big Link has some really nice data on the startup of a lot of his stuff now, and if Y. Link doesn't get the same treatment I'll probably just run Link.
How do you know that Link has some really nice data on the startup of a lot of his stuff?

volbound1700

Smash Master
Can someone provide a quick summary of the differences in play style? I know BOTW Link has the bomb/item changes and WW Link is the fastest character. I am trying to grasp Young Link's playstyle.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Can someone provide a quick summary of the differences in play style? I know BOTW Link has the bomb/item changes and WW Link is the fastest character. I am trying to grasp Young Link's playstyle.
Nobody was able to play as Young Link in the demo so nobody really knows.

I believe it's commonly being assumed that Young Link will play very similar in style to Link from Smash4 with his flair from Melee - which seems to mean he's TAKING Link's old playstyle with the changes Champion Link now has. Though I can see him being better overall.

He'll likely be the middle class between two extremes (Toon Link - Young Link - Link) being heavier and less floaty than Tink, but being more mobile and less heavy than Link.

Some advantages I've noticed with Young Link include infinite jab, Down Throw comboing into up tilt (from the looks of his trailer), and I can see his fire arrows having lasting hitboxes if fired into the ground.

Fortress

Smash Master
How do you know that Link has some really nice data on the startup of a lot of his stuff?
I've been watching 60fps videos captured of him frame-by-frame and watchiing for instances in where he inputs attacks right next to or inside of somebody. u-Tilt has 8f startup now for instance.

link2702

Smash Champion
I don’t like losing the clawshot/hookshot, and I don’t like the change to his bombs, but I also don’t like toon links playstyle, so I’ll probably end up using young link, as he’s probably gonna be the closest to 4’s link.

Also botw link seems to have less height again on his up b, that plus losing his tether and shorter fused bombs from 4, means he’s went back to having one of the worst recoveries again from what I’ve seen.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Young Link, because I've always liked Melee style Link the most in terms of his moveset, I kinda hope to change his grounded spin attack up from Toon Link they give it Melee Link's semi spike properties.

Also I'm thinking he'll be a fast faller compared to Toon Link's floatiness.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Brawl's Toon Link has been my favourite incarnation of Link in Smash, but I didn't like what they did to his Bair in Smash 4. If Ultimate changes it back to a faster combo aerial and the additional changes (like the new Fsmash) feel good I can see myself playing him a lot again. However, I'm also intrigued by BotW Link and his Remote Bombs, so we'll see. I'm interested to see how Young Link plays as well, but if he's mostly the same as before he'll probably be my least used. If his Fire Arrows worked like TL's Fire Arrow custom in Smash 4 however...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Young Link would have been pretty awesome if they drew some inspiration from Majora's Mask with the character

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Honestly, I didn't like how they changed Link. Especially in the Inkling teaser where everyone recognized the Breath of the Wild Link. Thankfully, the Twilight Princess design is an alternate costume.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Honestly, I didn't like how they changed Link. Especially in the Inkling teaser where everyone recognized the Breath of the Wild Link. Thankfully, the Twilight Princess design is an alternate costume.
It is? I've not seen it yet.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
So far I've only seen the Tunic of the Wild. One of them is a TP (muted) recolor.

I would like actual TP alts, but I don't thing that's happening. Maybe DLC? That'd be fun, especially since it looks like they're streamlining color selection.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
It is? I've not seen it yet.
There was a video where someone was looking through the costumes in the E3 demo. And someone managed to upload the alternate costume collections to Smash Wiki.
Link_Palette_(SSBU).png

The sixth costume is based on Twilight Princess. Zelda and Ganondorf have their Twilight Princess inspired costumes to select as well.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I don’t like the Adult Link Bomb change and I can’t stand Toon Link’s dair. Young Link all the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom