• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which is the best moment to do a Falcon Punch?

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
I been training constantly and i had already mastered the knee and many set ups but i want to add the falcon punch to the fight i know its no longer a joke move i `ve seen its potential but i do not know when to use it properly could you guys help me?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Just in case your are serious :
-There's a question/answer thread in the stickies, use it for simple questions in the future
-Falcon punch is still a joke move, use it only for disrespect or FFAs
-Fsmash is actually as powerful as Falcon punch, use that instead
-You forgot an N in the title

Fasterthansoup

Smash Rookie
NNID
fasterthansoup
It is most effective for punishing read air dodges, however there more powerful and reliable options (knee and fsmash mostly)

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
Just in case your are serious :
-There's a question/answer thread in the stickies, use it for simple questions in the future
-Falcon punch is still a joke move, use it only for disrespect or FFAs
-Fsmash is actually as powerful as Falcon punch, use that instead
-You forgot an N in the title
first of all im serious
ZeR0 said its no longer a joke move
maybe fsmash is a more solid option but it would be a waste if the falcon punch has no use besides 4 players fights or disrespect
why the N?

TheSausXL

Smash Cadet
You are right, the Falcon Punch is no longer entirely a "only works if I get lucky" move. This is because there are certain situations in which to use it, like after conditioning a recovering opponent to roll onstage with gentleman pressure at the edge and then catching them with a reverse Falcon Punch, or after reading an airdodge. In some situations however, I do not agree that The People's Elbow is a more potent kill option because of the Falcon Punch's ability to be used mid air. For example, say you down throw someone at 80% and you KNOW he's gonna airdodge into the ground. First off, you can pressure them to airdodge just by jumping at them directly after the throw, so you have more insurance that they will airdodge. When they do land, they will be hit with 25% and will definitely be killed. However, if you use forward smash, you are sacrificing knock back and percentage because you cannot charge it in the air. And although you can hypothetically tomohawk and fsmash for the extra endurance, it doesn't really matter all that much if you are absolutely sure they are going to airdodge. But style wise, the Falcon Punch is ALWAYS the flashier option just because it's the Falcon Punch. You might be able to do a 360 Falcon Punch by turning before you jump and and doing a reverse Falcon Punch for 28% and and absolutely guaranteed kill.

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
don't use falcon punch outside of silly friendlies. just don't...

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
first of all im serious
ZeR0 said its no longer a joke move
maybe fsmash is a more solid option but it would be a waste if the falcon punch has no use besides 4 players fights or disrespect
why the N?
The N is because I don't know any move named Falcon Puch
Falcon Punch's only real use over Fsmash is that it can make the opponent panic, spotdodge at the wrong time or roll behind you when you reverse it, etc. Beside impact Fsmash is superior in every other aspect.
Zero can say what he wants, just because he's the best smash 4 player doesn't mean he's right on everything. He even said that WFT was top 15.

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
why is this thread even a thing anyway

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
The problem with using Falcon Punch with the serious intent in mind is that the move is only for the hardest of reads or assuming you can see the future and or your opponent makes a grave misinput.

Falcon Punch is actually pretty weak in this game. B-Reversing it only grants you more damage while retaining the same BKB & KBG no matter if you're grounded or airborne. So while there's more kill power from B-Reversing it, you sacrifice faster hitbox startup frame data. This means that a B-Reversed Falcon Punch in the air having a slower hitbox startup dealing the same damage as a standard Falcon Punch on the ground. . .leaves a lot to be desired.

Don't get me wrong though, Falcon Punch connecting on-hit is hype. However, Falcon Punch in comparison to Falcon's other punish options, it's not as close to being useful. The easiest example is when you break your opponent's shield. What do you do? You fully charge Fsmash & angle it up because that's a better kill confirm that B-Reversed Falcon Punch on the ground. In my opinion, that's really sad, but it's the truth. Falcon Punch is an underwhelming kill move despite of its hype.:ohwell:

Last edited:

KnightFF

Smash Cadet
NNID
Crazyronan3000
The easiest example is when you break your opponent's shield. What do you do? You fully charge Fsmash & angle it up because that's a better kill confirm that B-Reversed Falcon Punch on the ground. In my opinion, that's really sad, but it's the truth. Falcon Punch is an underwhelming kill move despite of its hype.:ohwell:
Really? The peoples elbow is that strong? Kinda makes falcon punch look bad ;.;

Lionman

Smash Champion
Break Shield

Taunt

Taunt again

Falcon Punch

I sometimes use it in 4 glory to look random, some people assume that Falcon Punch is a move only a bad player would use, so maybe they will play more agressive to you so you can punish better.

Custom Falcon Punch (The big one) Is awesome for edgeguarding but sadly you cant play with customs in competitive

Last edited:

TuukkaTime

Smash Cadet
NNID
OmegaLesPaul
The N is because I don't know any move named Falcon Puch
Falcon Punch's only real use over Fsmash is that it can make the opponent panic, spotdodge at the wrong time or roll behind you when you reverse it, etc. Beside impact Fsmash is superior in every other aspect.
Zero can say what he wants, just because he's the best smash 4 player doesn't mean he's right on everything. He even said that WFT was top 15.
IIRC he also talked up Shulk a few months ago and how MALLC was going to basically change the meta for him, which is honestly not true considering its situational use. I agree with ZeRo on many things, however Falcon Punch is still totally a joke move.

Top Bottom