• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Which is the best and the worst controller for smash bros?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brony Drumming

Smash Rookie
NNID
BronyDrumming
There is a total of 7 compatible controllers to use in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (including a Nintendo 3DS, if you also have the 3DS version.) What do you think, in your opinion, is the best controller and the worst controller to use in smash? You can also put in your second best, too.

Example (AKA my opinion):

Best Controller: Nintendo Gamecube Controller (Hands down, unconditionally, the best controller to use in the game.)

Second Best: Wii U Gamepad (Yes, I like it as a controller; sue me.)

Worst Controller: Wii Remote by itself (Whatever you do, NEVER pick that controller! it's an extremely awkward and frustrating controller to use.)

Second Worst: 3DS (The controls are very awkward to use at first, but I got used to it after I played the 3DS version. The thing is, I can't use it in any other mode other than smash, which does make it second worst for me.)

Post what controller is your most favorite and least favorite controller to use in the game, and good luck, fellow smash players.

MajinBuu272

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KidBuu9000
Switch FC
SW-5273-4956-4209
i remember when i used to play brawl with a wii-mote and nunchuck.. it was so terrible...
then i realised i could plug GCN controllers in and use those... lol (i was noob)

i wanna see someone win a tourney with a wii-mote/mii-mote+nunchuck

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
1. Gamecube Controller: This controller was probably actually made for Smash. Or maybe it's just the only non-alien controller Nintendo's ever made so it's really effective for Smash. Either way, I love it.

2. 3DS: I'm actually really amazed at how well this controller worked for me. Something about playing the 3DS while looking at the big screen really clicked for me and I played significantly better than with the GamePad and Wiimote.

3. Wii Remote + Nunchuk: Really awkward button placement and an awkwardly shaped controller for a fighting game.

4. Nunchuk: Like the Wiimote, but deceptively worse.

5. GamePad: Absolutely awful for Smash. The default grab/shield controls are already really confusing, my hands feel too far apart while using it, and the placement of the buttons make everything awkward. I never win when I use this controller.

N/A: Classic Controller, Pro Controller: I haven't used either of them.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
For me, the Wiimote alone is by far the worst, due to lack of sufficient buttons. Its only good use in a Smash game was to easily taunt-transform Samus into ZSS in Brawl. Outside of that, everything is easier with every other controller.

The GameCube controller is by far the best. I simply cannot use anything else nearly as efficiently.

Naturally everything else falls in between. I cannot comment on the 3DS since I do not have one. The only way I can make the other controllers even remotely useful is to map the shoulders and triggers like the N64 controller, i.e. Z = shield and R = grab. The default mappings in Smash 4 are backward to me otherwise.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
These are just based on my experiences.
Excellent: GameCube Controller - As generic as it's going to sound, the GameCube controller... Yep. I'm just pretty sure that this thing will be forever moulded for Smash Bros. until something a little less quirky comes out. I am happy to have it back after finally finding an adapter for a decent price a few weeks back. No cramping, feels great to hold, the button placement is excellent and of course, the precision that can be executed due to how the moulding surrounding the analogue sticks guides them make it top-notch. The C-Stick placement still works best for Smash Bros. as well.

Great: Classic Controller (Wii) / Classic Controller Pro - This thing is actually what I used sometimes in Brawl and what ended up using until I decided to get a GCN adapter. The button layout is actually not bad, and I'd consider it the next best thing to the GCN controller personally. If Sakurai had said "screw you" to the people who preferred GameCube controllers for Smash 4, I would have honestly used this. The only gripe I really have with it is the battery usage.

Neutral: Wii U Pro Controller & Variants - Have a similar layout to the GamePad, but they doesn't feel quite as bad because of the size. However, things are beginning to get awkward when talking about these controllers simply due to the strange button layout and awkward right analogue stick placement.

Bad: Wii U GamePad - This thing has a similar layout to the Wii U Pro Controller, but it is clunky, runs low on batteries quick and has the button layout problems that the Wii U Pro Controller has but amplified because it's so big and clunky. I tried using this for a week or so after launch, and experienced cramping after most Sm4sh sessions (no, not long, we're talking 45 minute sessions here). So I moved to the Classic Controller (Wii).

Well... Could be worse: Nunchuk + Wiimote - I've seen people competently use it, but I just don't think that the complexity involved in using this combo is worth it; it is awkward to use.

Abysmal: Standalone Wiimote - Don't try this at home lads / lasses. Yes, I made this one brown for a reason.

Null: Any variant of the 3DS or any other controllers that I did not mention. - They go here simply because I don't have enough experience with them to say anything.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Based on my experience:

1. Wired Fight Pad ("Gamecube" Classic Controller); A more comfortable fit in my hands than the vanilla Gamecube controller. Others may disagree, though.
  2. Wii U Pro Controller: Considering I'm a Smash Flash 2 player who's used to using a PS3 controller, I've had more time to adjust.
  3. GameCube Controller: Eh, what can I say that hasn't been said?
  4. Classic Controller Classic: Pretty comfortable overall, good if you're used to older fighting games.
  5. New Nintendo 3DS: The extra shoulder buttons and the C-nub are its saving grace fron the regular 3DS.
  6. Nintendo 64 Controller: There are converters available. Decent and usable, especially if you've been playing since '99, but it hasn't aged very well.
  7. Wii Remote + Nunchuck: If you move your hands around a lot, this is the controller for you. It really is decent.
  8. Classic Controller Pro: It just feels kind of... Loose, if that makes sense.
  9. Nintendo 3DS: I use this only for emergencies, when there aren't enough controllers. That said, it's passable; I do, after all, play the 3DS version still.
  10. Wiimote (Standalone): This gane simply was not built for non-analogue control. There are too many things that cannot be done with it. And I mean BASIC things, not advanced competitive techniquea or something.
  11. Wii Remote + Nunchuck + Wii Zapper: I just use this for ****s and giggles sometimes. It's pretty fun with the Pits, the Spacies, and Duck Hunt. Not very practical at all, though. At all.
  12. Gamepad: One word... OOOOOOWWWWWWWWW. This thing is an ergonomic nightmare. Even during Off-TV play, I use a different controller.

Last edited:

Reaper Talk

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tricky32
3DS FC
0946-2336-1376
Does anyone have thoughts on Hori or PDP battlepad?
I have a PDP Yoshi controller and it works for the most part, dont like the c-stick or shoulder buttons as much as a regular gamecube
I ain't buying a GC Adapter for $50+ dollars though

D

Deleted member

Since I don't have a GC adapter I use the classic controller which works pretty good for me.
First time I played I used the wiimote + nun-chuck which was pretty awful and I did not play well at all with it.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
If it wasn't for muscle memory, I'd go with a classic controller pro or a wii u controller pro. I could use the extra shoulder button for mash b type specials. Right now I use L for shield, R for jump (for OoS options with tap jump off) and z for grab. But muscle memory takes the cake for me, so I'm using the GC controller (I got in on the GC+adapter bundle preorder well before release).

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
I think most people will say the Gamecube controller is best. Years of experience with them, means that no Smash Veteran will want to put it down for any other variant of controller. All the buttons feel like they're in the exact, right place.

I know some people will use either the Wii U gamepad (I know a few), or the pro controller as a substitute. Mainly because they either didn't want to pay out for a GCN controller adapter, or they now can't get one as they are stupidly priced. Luckily third party ones are coming or have come out. GCN controllers for everybody!

The worst, without a shred of doubt, is the sideways Wiimote. The awful layout, and lack of buttons make this a nightmare to play with. I think I'd have more fun sticking my d**k in a blender than even TRYING to play Smash with this controller. Period.

Everything else is more or less in the middle, and people can use them pretty well if they put the time into it. So this is things like the 3DS, Wiimote and Nunchuck, stuff like that.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Does anyone have thoughts on Hori or PDP battlepad?
I have a PDP Yoshi controller and it works for the most part, dont like the c-stick or shoulder buttons as much as a regular gamecube
I ain't buying a GC Adapter for $50+ dollars though
I have the same kind.
I don't have a problem with the C-stick, though, and as for the shoulder buttons, I just switch Shield and Grab in my name settings.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
-GameCube Controller: Standard. It's good, but with Smash 4 not having anything pressure sensitive that would make the L/R buttons shine, it's great but not perfect.

-Wii U Pro Controller: My usual choice. Amazing comfort, surprisingly easy to use, it's honestly not that hard to get into the swapped buttons and right stick layout.

-Classic Controller: Really small. Otherwise pretty nice, although the ZL/ZR buttons can be a bit on the unruly side. While pretty comfortable, completely necessitates having a Wiimote for it. Classic Controller's handles feel a bit weird but in exchange shoulder buttons are much nicer.

-GamePad: Too big and battery life is very low. Comfortable, but large size makes it wonky to hold for long periods.

-Wiimote & Nunchuk: I've never enjoyed using this. Ever.

-Wiimote: Or this.

-3DS: Only if I'm playing the 3DS version.

Basically for me it's usually between the first 2, with the third one being occasionally used. The rest are just a no from me.

Codester

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheCodester87
3DS FC
0130-1912-9132
My two favorites are the GC Controller obviously, but an extremely close second is the classic pro controller which is nearly identical in feeling to the GC when you re vamp the lay out so left is special, bottom is attack, and both top and right as jump. (Cuz honestly only casuals use tap jump) and the second analogue stick feels the same as the GC c stick. Wii mote is probably the worst by far. But yeah, since I got rid of my Wii I use the classic pro for project M.

Last edited:

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, every controller that isn't the Wii Remote by itself is perfectly fine in my opinion.

3DS is also pretty bleh, but if you're playing the 3DS version, it's your only option. :p

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Gamecube because wired and most common (also imo better stick positioning than other options, especially the c-stick compared to the Pro Controller)
Pro Controller/Classic Pro tied for second because they both also have good sticks/button layouts for Smash
Gamepad third because fat + one per console + chinputs needed to quit out of a match
WiiChuck 4th because Wiimote exists
Wiimote 5th and last because its the ****ing wiimote

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Best: DK Bongos

Worst: Roll 'n Rocker via NES to Gamecube Adapter

Bonus: Is playing with or against CPU ROB lost it's luster? Well then, I have great news! Purchase a ROB for NES and use the NES to Gamecube Adapter and let it choose Rob in-game and you'll have a ROB-good-time watching ROB play as ROB!

Darrman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darrman
3DS FC
4785-6377-6170
Best is GC controller, everything is nicely positioned, use in Melee/Brawl. Classic Pro is good too: I use it on Smash U due to lack of adapter. Mote + chuck isn't awful, but it isn't amazing either. I used that when I first got Brawl. The 3DS isn't a terrible controller, have to use it when playing Smash 3DS! The Wiimote is bad: not enough buttons. I heard it is physically impossible to utilt! (Up to jump...) Plus all the weirdness like 1+2 to grab, IIRC.

Worst? The Gamepad, without a shadow of doubt. It's big. It's clunky. The buttons are awkward. It's annoying to preform anything on it. I use it solely for launching Amiibos. If anyone is stuck with only a Gamepad, STOP. Buy a Wiimote and Classic if you can, no-one should have to put up with it. Ever.

_gold_

Smash Master
Best: The GC controller is the perfect blend of everything you'll ever need in a controller.
Worst: The Wiimote for obvious reasons.

3DS and Pro Controller are both decent substitutes, and everything doesn't really work for me.

Last edited:

Rosbrac

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rosbrac
1st Wii U Pro Controller- It would be the GC controller but I like the placement of the triggers WAY better also it feels better in my hands.
2nd GC Controller- You all already know why.
3rd Wii U Game-pad- OK, I KNOW its big but if someone else needs a controller Ill use it its a little big yeah your right.
In LAST place is the Wii-mote. There's like NO buttons and Smash is NOT meant for a D-Pad for a directional movement oh and Up tilt or Up Smash -_-... CANT DO THOSE.
Anything else I'm just trash. (Including the Wii-mote)

Best: DK Bongos
I would like to see someone win ANYTHING with those.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
My thoughts on controllers:

Wiimote: Not viable. Few buttons, no C-stick, D-pad is less accurate than a stick. Only use if you literally cannot use anything else.
Wiimote + Nunchuk: Somewhat viable. Button count is still an issue, but you now have a stick and a pseudo C-stick. Notching on stick is a plus, also good for lefties.
Wii Classic: IMO the best controller (albeit not my favorite). My reasoning? Two notched sticks (rivaled only by GC), plus faster trigger buttons compared to GC, as well as more trigger buttons than GC. Why it's not my favorite: awkward placement of left stick.
3DS: Probably 2nd worst controller. Suffers from many of the same shortcomings as the Wiimote, but does have an actual stick as opposed to a D-pad, as well as some more buttons.
New 3DS: Viable. C-stick included, only one button less than the GC, fast triggers.
Wii U Pro: Viable. Probably what I would choose if I were to go to a tournament. Mostly the same as the Wii Classic, but with more familiar stick placement at the expense of round sticks.
Wii U Gamepad: What I play at home. Fine for home, not so much for tournament. Identical layout to Wii U Pro. Limited to 1 per console, also unable to be taken between consoles. Some find the size of the controller uncomfortable.
GameCube: **WARNING** My viewpoint here is somewhat controversial. This is generally the preferred controller for Smash. However, I don't think it should be. IMO, there are only two reasons to choose this controller over any of the ones listed above: a) it's what you're used to or b) you need the notched sticks and can't handle the Wii Classic's button placement. Both of these fall apart for anyone new to Smash. Thus, I believe the Wii Classic is the best controller for new players, but the GC may be for those who are familiar with it (especially former Melee players).

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
There is no right or wrong answer it is all about your feel weather you use gamecube, classic controller, or wii remote it doesn't matter what you use as long as you like it. But in all reality i like the regular classic controller and wiiremote alone because thoes are the only 2 i feel conferrable with

Last edited:

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
Best is GC controller, everything is nicely positioned, use in Melee/Brawl. Classic Pro is good too: I use it on Smash U due to lack of adapter. Mote + chuck isn't awful, but it isn't amazing either. I used that when I first got Brawl. The 3DS isn't a terrible controller, have to use it when playing Smash 3DS! The Wiimote is bad: not enough buttons. I heard it is physically impossible to utilt! (Up to jump...) Plus all the weirdness like 1+2 to grab, IIRC.

Worst? The Gamepad, without a shadow of doubt. It's big. It's clunky. The buttons are awkward. It's annoying to preform anything on it. I use it solely for launching Amiibos. If anyone is stuck with only a Gamepad, STOP. Buy a Wiimote and Classic if you can, no-one should have to put up with it. Ever.
I mean, you CAN up tilt with a Wiimote... You just have to jump first. Which wastes half a second at the least.

Personally, I think the Pro Controller is the best, because if you want to do, say, a jump-cancelled special move, on a GameCube controller, you would either have to slide your thumb all the way from X or Y to B or map A or a shoulder button to jump. But it seems like most people leave A, B, and either X or Y alone. With the Pro Controller, you can have your jump buttons next to both attack and special by default (I have X for attack and Y for special), which allows you to do jump-canceled smashes, glide tosses, and special moves with ease. Plus, I like my right stick in the top right. :)

Then again, the ridges on the GameCube controller allow for better DI, better :4ryu: play, and I would assume fewer input errors when recovering, because I've accidentally used side special instead of up special on the Pro Controller a few times.

Last edited:

Zoralls

End my existence please.
1. Gamecube Controller : Pretty standard, I think it is by far better than the rest.
2. Pro Controller : In my mind the second best one. Bidou is an interesting thing and if someone was just joining the game I think it would be smart of them to start with Bidou so they don't get used to any other way, making learning Bidou more challenging.
3. Classic Controller : Never used one, but it basically seems the same as a Pro Controller, and I know a couple people who use it, so it's probably decent.
4. 3DS : I used this one for a long time when the game first came out as I didn't have a Gamecube controller and Bidou wasn't a thing at the time and I honestly think it is a fairly decent controller for Smash.
5. Wiimote and Nunchuck : I learned this one in Brawl, so I kinda know how to us them? Still wouldn't recommend it though.
6. Gamepad : I absolutely hate this controller. I hate how big it is, I hate how it feels like I'm playing video games with a brick and I hate it's button layout. I don't understand why people like this controller, but I will respect that opinions can differ.
7. SNES Controller : I have seen people use this in Smash 4, and it doesn't make sense to me. Why? Impressive. But, why?

Mrrgle

Smash Cadet
Gamepad is only controller I can play with.
Shows what a noob I am.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
I'm going to ruffle a few feathers I know but I used a few controller configurations (ok three but still) here's where I find them.

Wii U gamepad: Never had any issues with it. My hands are huge and the thing is permanently plugged in so I have no problems with battery life. Plus having two grab buttons makes things easier on me.

Gamecube controller: It's not that's it's bad for me but I constantly mix up the extra z grab button plus I'm not used to pressing in the R and L buttons until they click. It just doesn't work as well for me. I switched to wiimote+nunchuk instantly when brawl came out.

Nintendo 3DS: ugh I never bought the 3DS version because of all the times in the demo my character mistook a smash for a tilt this setup did it the most times! I had an impossible time controlling my characters thanks to that setup. Not for me.

ScarletShepherd24M

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.22
as someone who preorder and bought the pack that came with the gamecube controller, I eventually realized that I prefer the wiiiu pro controller. For using the pro in a position that I'm not too sure on how many people use. I have my left hand in the usual position of thumb on left stick and index on the shoulder. My right hand has the index either resting on or above the right stick with the thumb lieing above the 4 buttons. With the right middle and ring finger on the two right shoulder triggers for a dedicated shield button and a button soley used for b-reversals. It takes some getting used to, but it drastically improved my air game and buffering ariels. The gamecube layout just doesn't work for me if I want to play a bit more seriously. Of course, it's the controller most people are used to, and the people are fast enough with their fingers to use the c-stick more efficiently and without much strain. The only major issue between wiiu pro and gamecube for me is a slight input delay because the pro is wireless. Didn't really notice it myself, but that's what I hear.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
as someone who preorder and bought the pack that came with the gamecube controller, I eventually realized that I prefer the wiiiu pro controller. For using the pro in a position that I'm not too sure on how many people use. I have my left hand in the usual position of thumb on left stick and index on the shoulder. My right hand has the index either resting on or above the right stick with the thumb lieing above the 4 buttons. With the right middle and ring finger on the two right shoulder triggers for a dedicated shield button and a button soley used for b-reversals. It takes some getting used to, but it drastically improved my air game and buffering ariels. The gamecube layout just doesn't work for me if I want to play a bit more seriously. Of course, it's the controller most people are used to, and the people are fast enough with their fingers to use the c-stick more efficiently and without much strain. The only major issue between wiiu pro and gamecube for me is a slight input delay because the pro is wireless. Didn't really notice it myself, but that's what I hear.
The position you're using is an unconventional, but not unheard of, position known as clawgrip. Also, anything that says wireless controllers have more input lag is false. Look it up.
(I use Pro too, and I'm glad I'm not the only one.)

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
Best to worst in my opinion
Wii Classic Controller
Wii Classic Controller pro
Game Cube
Pro
3DS
Wiimote and nunchuck
Game Pad
Wiimote
Dong Drums

Last edited:

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
dont forget we got 3 new alternative controllers coming out that could possibly be the new "best" controller with the smashbox,smash stick and b0xx. Also i think wiiu biogenik controller is the best one right now personally even though no one uses it cuz its third party.

Captain Phobos

Smash Apprentice
Easily the GC controller, but the Pro controller is not far behind. If you have small hands, the gamepad might be the worst, but for me I think the nunchuck is the worst followed closely by the Wiimote.

HealthyHoagie

Smash Rookie
I don't know if I should use the WiiU Pro Controller or Gamecube Controller. I know the Gamecube controller is better for tournaments (mostly because it's wired) but I like the layout of the controls on the Pro controller better. I found a way to make the Pro controller wired, but would that still work for tournaments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom