• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which is more important: Being Unpredictable or Reading

Which?

• Reading

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Being Unpredictable

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

Im my opinion, for me, as a Zelda main, I have to rely on looking for openings and reads to progress. Also, I look for mistakes and punish those accordingly. However you, as a mario, it'll be more important being unpredictable. Since once he gets a grab, he is really dangerous. Also faking an approach is great mind games forcing you opponent to react. This is all my opinion tho based on the many Marios ive played.

D

Deleted member 269706

Reads. Even if you are unpredictable, if you don't now how to figure your opponent out, kills, combos, etc. are just harder to pull off. If you can't outplay your opponent, what good is it that you aren't predictable? Unpredictability doesn't do a whole lot in the chaos that is the neutral.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I'd have to go with reading, since being able to predict your opponent's moves and adapt accordingly is more useful than being unpredictable. You're going to be fighting a lot of different players in Super Smash Bros., each with their own different playstyles, so knowing your opponent can be the key to victory. That isn't to say that being unpredictable is completely useless however. Even if you know what your opponent is going to do, where they're going to do it, why they're going to do it, when they're going to do it, and how they're going to do it, you'll run into some trouble if you yourself get read like an open book. So don't be afraid to mix things up by doing something completely unpredictable when it comes to your character, like doing something that is generally seen as a bad move.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Reads. Even if you are unpredictable, if you don't now how to figure your opponent out, kills, combos, etc. are just harder to pull off. If you can't outplay your opponent, what good is it that you aren't predictable? Unpredictability doesn't do a whole lot in the chaos that is the neutral.
I was thinking the same thing.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
they're two sides of the same coin. That coin being adaption. Adapting is very important in both ways. If you're being read to death, you better be trying your best to be unpredictable. If your opponent is being wild, catch on to their pattern.

they're both verrrrrrrrry important.

xoazi

Smash Rookie
NNID
kyziii
Switch FC
SW-3315-9796-7008
Both are important. If I'd have to pick one, reading.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
As a Dedede main, a lot of people don't know the matchup, so being unpredictable is incredibly useful. In matchups that are well know, reading is usually more useful. But you should try to do both.

SL1K

Smash Rookie
If your opponent is good at reading and you aren't then it doesnt matter how unpredictable you are, you are still going to get destroyed

Top Bottom