• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which game character would be the most shocking newcomer?

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I put game in the title just in case someone brings up non-video game characters.

We can talk about each candidate based on your expectation... as well as others and general gaming population.

For most of us who regularly participate in speculation, even the most shocking newcomers look almost inevitable.

Personally, I think Master Chief is inevitable as much as joyful and bit shocking he would be. I agree that Banjo already paved way for him to get in. Not to mention, King Zell's "Mario on Playstation" stuff has not happened yet. But, general gaming population would be pretty shocked.

On the other hand, Gordon Freeman and Kratos would be more shocking due to little to no relationship between Valve/Sony and Nintendo. I guess that applies to pretty much any party that has little to no connection to Nintendo.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Something from Sony is probably the only thing that would feel as 'big' as Microsoft getting in, but at the same time, now that the threshold has been crossed, it really wouldn't be 'shocking'. Miraculous, yeah, but I think everyone's already kind of moved into, "Well, it could happen" territory at this point.

The only merit by which a character would truly be 'shocking' at this point is if they're either so unfitting/gory/controversial they just really fall beyond anything that could be considered remotely acceptable (think 'Postal Guy', some of the Outlast antagonists, or Custer) or if they're so obscure or off-kilter that it hits the "Wait, they actually did that?" mark (Marshal Gram, Mavis Beacon, or... a Wumpus?).

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
At this point I think it's a lot more difficult to shock people since we've already had our expectations of what's possible blown apart so many times. It might be a little surprising to see a Sony character (or Master Chief) but that's about it. (even then I think most people are at least open to the possibility now)

I think it would be far more shocking if we got an obscure indie character or a third party character nobody is really considering. (like Carmen Sandiago or Bella Goth)

Arguably The Sims would be a highly iconic video game series to represent in Smash, but it's also not on many peoples radars. Bella Goth's inclusion would shock people I think.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i feel theyve lost the element of surprise, no one in ultimate shocked or surprised me

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Ratchet & Clank's Inclusion would DEFINITELY shock me;

As Sony & nintendo have a Bitter Rivalry with each other; as Sony is Nintendo of Japan's ONLY Competition, as Microsoft isn't really a Competitor in the Japanese Market. . . as it's a WESTERN Hemisphere company. . .

Oddball

Smash Lord
Off the top of my head? Leisure Suit Larry.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Depends on how each individual would define “shocking”.

To me, shocking would come in the form of characters from series with sketchy copyright issues.
Something along the lines of Earthworm Jim last year. Or either character from Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

KingDoop

Smash Cadet
I'd be shocked by a secondary character getting in over the "mascot." Like, imagine a Soul Calibur character getting in...but its Seong Mi-na instead of Nightmare. I'd be shocked (and pleased).

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Ever since KatKit KatKit brought it up, Carmen Sandiego would be both an "out of nowhere" pick, and one of the coolest and best-received third-party female characters Smash could add.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
One choice would be a second F-Zero Rep, like either Black Shadow, Jody Summer or Bio-Rex.

The next option is a second mook, like Bandanna Dee or Peckish Aristocrab, or Joke character like Magikarp or the Goose

Another surprise would be something we had not had in a while, including a new Star Fox Rep, new Sonic Rep, New Legendary Pokémon or a New Old School Fighter, or something like that

That is all I got

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
In terms of characters a ton of people actually want but don't truly believe they'll ever get, the only one that can top Banjo and Kazooie is Sora. (Maybe Geno as well, but there's a lot of hope for him in his thread.)

Scribe

Sing, sing for ourselves alone.
Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
I feel like some of y'all are thinking too big - the most shocking characters wouldn't be big names that everyone is asking for, they'd be the niche picks that, like, five people tops are asking for. Oddball Oddball and M00NFIRE94 M00NFIRE94 have the right idea.

So the knight from Joust. Or maybe Rukey Greentail from Pyre

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Foreign, surreal, revolutionary, controversial, obscure as f***, and irrelevant. This would shock everybody.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Starfy. A promoted AT that's from an obscure game and is considered the weakest AT.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
A Sony rep feels like the only major surprise left. There are other barriers that need to be broken still like an indie rep, but it feels like a lot of people expect that to happen eventually. If Nathan Drake or Kratos popped up next to a Smash logo that would feel huge and would be the biggest addition to Smash yet given Nintendo and Sony's history

Voe

Smash Journeyman
Excluding the current most speculated characters for DLC (Sora, Geno, Doomguy/Slayer etc.) I guess a Mortal Kombat character would fit the role as one of the most shocking newcomers when you take the franchise's Japan situation into consideration (it could still happen imo, loopholes and stuff). A Sony character would be a nice shocker, like an obscure character from the PS1 era that has a cult following but would be considered to be from a dead franchise, or a character from the PS2 era ( Jak & Daxter pls Sakurai). Obscure and dead IP characters in general are more than welcomed for me.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Any characters who are AT/Spirits/Pokeballs. Also a Danganronpa rep who isn't Monokuma, Junko, Makoto, Shuichi, nor Hajime.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I feel like Fortnite or FNAF getting any sort of rep would shock people like the Sans Mii Costume did. Aside from that... someone currently an AT getting promoted would be pretty shocking and completely kill the 'DLC character can't already be in the game" rule.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
A Sony character would be a nice shocker, like an obscure character from the PS1 era that has a cult following but would be considered to be from a dead franchise, or a character from the PS2 era ( Jak & Daxter pls Sakurai). Obscure and dead IP characters in general are more than welcomed for me.
A PlayStation rep wouldn't be too shocking for me be it Kratos, Sly Cooper, or Spike from Ape Escape. No, one character (or duo in this case) that to completely catch me off guard would be Ari & Stan from Okage Shadow King. A PS exclusive turn based RPG from 2001 underrated as heck that to ever see that get acknowledged would make me flip. It's a really fun game.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Definitely an Sony rep.

I'd say Master Chief too but given Nintendo's and Microsoft's buddy-buddy relationship I see this being a real possibility eventually.

UserKev

Smash Champion
High tier shockers for me is a Mortal Kombat rep or Dragonborn. Both are the least likely as comparison to Crash Bandicoot.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Bumping because few characters popped from my head.

Ajna from Indivisible
Hat Kid from Hat in Time
Agumon from Digimon
Earthworm Jim
Neptune from Neptunia (I'm not sure whether Sakurai is willing to censor Purple Heart's cleavage)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Bumping because few characters popped from my head.

Ajna from Indivisible
Hat Kid from Hat in Time
Agumon from Digimon
Earthworm Jim
Neptune from Neptunia (I'm not sure whether Sakurai is willing to censor Purple Heart's cleavage)
hes usually quite willing to censor

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's CERO's call, since Sak only does censors out of obligation (and he did criticize them heavily).

As for the character I'd think would be shocking? Duke Nukem, mainly because barely anyone takes him seriously anymore.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Probably Raiden from Mortal Kombat or Thor from MvC. I don't think there are any video game characters that can output the same amount of voltage they can.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Probably Raiden from Mortal Kombat or Thor from MvC. I don't think there are any video game characters that can output the same amount of voltage they can.
Well... I mentioned no non-video game characters, so Thor is out. Sorry to ruin your pun :p

Top Bottom