• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Fire Emblem game should I get?

Which Fire Emblem game should I get?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
So because you've all been talking about it so much in the Swamp thread, (plus I have the money) I decided that I'm going to go ahead and buy a Fire Emblem game tomorrow. However, there's only one problem. I don't know which game to get. So from Fire Emblem: Fates, should I get Birthright or Conquest? Or should I forget Fates and just go get Awakening? Keep in mind I know next to nothing about these games, so no spoilers if you don't mind? Thanks.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Since you seem to have never have played a Fire Emblem game before, I think you're better off playing Awakening or Birthright. Conquest is far more difficult, but if it's a challenge you want, Conquest is the one for you.

:094:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
All of them.

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
Welp.

This was quite the uneventful poll.
I'll see what happens, tomorrow.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I'd buy Birthright. Fates in general is a huge improvement from Awakening in terms of gameplay and story, and if you are new to the series, you're better off starting with Birthright so that you can get used to the classes and general gameplay FE: Fates has to offer.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Now see...

I'd recommend either Path of Radiance or Awakening as a First FE game.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
FE7, FE8, and FE9 are all good for a beginner (if you want to get a hang of the pre-Awakening games.)

Among the 3DS games, I recommend you play Awakening first. Fates expands on a lot of ideas Awakening introduced.

:231:

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Going to un-recommend Awakening. Heavily. It's a broken heap of garbage that fails to be fun on every difficultly and it's filled with boring, literally one-note characters not worth anything beyond a quick chuckle.

Fates isn't any better in the characters/writing department but at least it ain't broke to ****. Birthright I guess is broke but in a "use this guy to cheese a stage" way and not "use pair up or die" way.

Just subtract a point from Awakening, I guess.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well damn.

Never seen anyone react negatively to Awakening that strongly.

I think even Habanero had nice things to say about it.

finalark

SNORLAX
Awakening is a good game. There are a lot of detractors, but most of its flaws probably won't bother you unless you're a veteran and or/you've poured hundreds of hours into the game.

If you're new and you only want to play the 3DS games I think it's a good place to start.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
FE7 was a really good starter one if you have a wii U. And features Smash Brothers Assist Trophy: Lyn.

I think Birthright is a pretty good starter as well.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Even in casual games having balanced gameplay and mechanics is important. Anybody who's played Mario Tennis on the GC for a few hours can tell you that defensive power shots broke the game...

A balanced game isn't necessarily a hard game. A balanced game is not unintentionally mindless. I can say that Kirby's Epic Yarn had more thought and fun in it then Awakening... There was nothing hard about that game, but it encouraged experimentation and problem solving. In Awakening you pair up and blow up everything while maybe avoiding one or two guys. Freakin' Candy Crush is more engaging then Awakening.

The story and characters where bland and unlikeable with a few jokes sprinkled in. 2/5, where a 1 is when the story is repulsive and actively makes me want to put the game down. Gameplay is a 1/5 because it's completely mindless and boring. Graphics are merely okay and the music is pretty but those can't make a game, as we've learned with Golden Sun.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think you're overstating the flaws just a bit.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I think you're overstating the flaws just a bit.
Well, IMO of course, but that's kinda the point of the topic. I've had more fun in five minutes of Fates then five hours of Awakening. I really, honest to goodness, haven't found anything redeeming in Awakening for me to call it anything but terrible.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I wouldn't recommend starting with Fates solely because it's got unlimited weapon usage. If you buy Fates first and enjoy it a lot, surely you're going to look into most of the older games in the series, eh? Well... Chances are you'll end up feeling deceived by the breakable weapon system that's been a mainstay of the series up until Fates appeared.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'll echo previous statements and say Awakening.

In particular, go ABC.
Awakening, Birthright, Conquest.

Lots of the ideas presented in Awakening get expanded and improved for Fates, but it's a better place to start, in my opinion, mainly due to some fundamental changes in Fates that are in no other previous Fire Emblem game.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The changes in Fates really aren't that big... For starters, durability is usually one of the last things you think about in the older games. Weight's more important but Awakening cut that anyway, and then Fates simulates it with how weapons work now.

...I really can't think of anything else that was a big change in Fates. Dragon Pulse is just a minor gimmick, the new weapon classes fit onto the old weapon triangle, and adapting to how ranged weapons used to work ain't hard. I don't think you're missing out on anything by skipping Awakening.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I wouldn't recommend starting with Fates solely because it's got unlimited weapon usage. If you buy Fates first and enjoy it a lot, surely you're going to look into most of the older games in the series, eh? Well... Chances are you'll end up feeling deceived by the breakable weapon system that's been a mainstay of the series up until Fates appeared.
This. It's best to get some familiarity with the older titles first (Sacred Stones is as easy as Fire Emblem can get pre-Awakening). The weapon durability adds more to the strategy and it helps you get accustomed to the other titles at the time, even a more challenging game like Radiant Dawn.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
If you have a gba or Ds emulator like open emu, I would reccommend downloading FE7 or a translated version of FE12, as those two games generally have the best prologues that get you introduced to the gameplay. Sacred Stones is also a pretty good starting point due to generally being much easier than FE7.

Princess_Lucina

Smash Rookie
I'll echo previous statements and say Awakening.

In particular, go ABC.
Awakening, Birthright, Conquest.

Lots of the ideas presented in Awakening get expanded and improved for Fates, but it's a better place to start, in my opinion, mainly due to some fundamental changes in Fates that are in no other previous Fire Emblem game.
I say the ABC method is pretty good
And You should get awakening first in my opinion. I mean, LOOK AT MY PROFILE PIC!! All hail princess Lucina!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom