• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which cut Melee veterans would you like to see return? U can pick more than 1 option

See topic title, dur hur

• Total voters

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
NOTE: YOU CAN SELECT MORE THAN ONE CHARACTER FOR THIS POLL!!!!!

Also, thanks Mic_128 for putting up this poll. I deeply appreciate it.

Since this is a basically off-topic anything goes forum, I decided to conduct a little poll to see how the Smash community feels about the cut Melee veterans returning for Smash 4.

For the record, the cut Melee characters were:

Mewtwo
Roy
Dr. Mario
Pichu
Young Link

It is interesting to note that Sakurai intended to bring back Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr. Mario. Heck, there were even planned unique victory themes planned for Mewtwo and Roy.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
mewtwo is the only one i can actually see coming back, but not likely though.
This is not about who you see coming back, but rather who you WANT back.

For the record, I want all the cut characters except Young Link (who I Toon Link basically takes the place of) to come back for Smash 4.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Definitely Mewtwo. If not, then Roy.
You can select as many cut characters as you want.

Also, on a side note, I heard that now only premium members can create polls, so perhaps that is the reason why I could not create a poll for this topic.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
If only to resist the urge to close another smash 4 thread (*sob*) I added a poll for ya

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If only to resist the urge to close another smash 4 thread (*sob*) I added a poll for ya
Thanks for putting up the poll Mic. I deeply appreciate it. I am just trying to gauge what the current support for the cut Melee characters to return is.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
I want Mewtwo (how original) and Young Link back.

I don't like Toon Link.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Are details allowed?

All for one, and one for all.
Smash should work to attain the goal that so many other fighting games do not -- bring back all its prior contenders. Melee was awesome for having the entire 64 roster; it was somewhat nostalgic, mixed with a modern feel. But then Brawl came out, and the series, to me, turned into "just another fighting series".

I have a strong resentment towards Brawl not because it changed the fighting formula... but because it scrapped fighters. Now I could care less if any of the Brawl newbies got cut... The irony. I feel I couldn't choose a main, because in the back of my mind, I thought, "What if this character I'm attaching myself to... doesn't make it back?" It's a horrible feeling, that such an iconic character means NOTHING in the hands of the developers. To them, its just a model with textures that people'll pay money to play. But to me, it means so much more than that.

Young Link.
The clone thing is BS; this character represents OCARINA OF TIME, hailed to be one of the greatest games made. Give the guy some bombchus! The Megaton Hammer! Hell, what's wrong with giving him a few masks? I'd love to see me some Fierce Deity through this guy. He'd be changed... but he'd still represent the same thing. (No offense, Toon Link, Wind Waker's my favorite Zelda title... but I'm just not into the fighter representing it.)

Pichu.
2nd Gen. That in itself should warrant something. According to so many polls I've seen (including one here!), the 2nd Gen's generally the fan favorite generation out of all existing four. Pichu represents the most popular Pokemon generation, and I HIGHLY doubt there's anyone else in that Gen lineup that comes remotely CLOSE to its iconic status. Sure, Pichu was a clone, but perhaps... I dunno... Pichu should take some advice from characters like Luigi? You know, lose that clone status a bit? I doubt that'd be hard. And hurting itself... I always thought that was kinda cool, how it stayed true to its Pokedex entries of old. Made for a really challenging character to play. Respect to those who can tame this sucker.

Roy.
He's our boy. While his Fire Emblem character may not be the best (matter of fact, it's claimed to be one of the worst/hardest Lords), he's become apart of Smash history -- without him, and Marth, Fire Emblem would've never seen shores outside Japan, let alone be as popular as it was. Roy's a piece of FE history... And be honest, if all you saw was Marth on the roster to rep FE... top tier or not, I don't think I'd take FE that seriously. ;) Blue hair + red hair > blue hair + blue hair.

Dr. Mario.
Hmm, he's a bit tougher. His games are good, and they're still coming out strong, but does it warrant a separate playable character...? Don't get me wrong, I love me some Doc; he's an old main for me, and I love his easier-to-KO playstyle when compared to Mario... made for a nice contrast. But with the possibility of alternate costumes... it's now really hard to defend him. Either way, whether he makes it as a costume, or a fully separate playable character (give him his own faction, a rep of the puzzle-game faction or something)... I'm looking forward to seeing an incarnation return.

Mewtwo.
THE prime example, and why my fears for cut characters have no limits. He was no clone. He was original. Granted, his moveset in Melee isn't exactly the best, but he's STILL a popular CHARACTER. Maybe not a popular fighter... but definitely a popular character. Nowadays, all I see is GAME FREAK whoring the hell out of Mewtwo, putting him in more games, or featuring him as a prominent face among other Pkmn. Ignorant *******s. I feel I'm being slapped every time I see it. Get him back in the ****ing series already. *******es.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
*Facepalm* I picked Young Link, then as I pressed submitm I saw the big bold letters: "You may pick more than one character.

Ugh.

@Steelia
Mind if I comment?

Young Link- Agree'd 110% (Though Megaton Hammer is technically an adult weapon...then again the boomerang is also a kid weapons...also swap out bow for Slingshot)

Pichu- Meh
There are probably better characters to represent the generation. I think Gold is more widely accepted over Pichu. Though the 2nd Gen does need some love.

Roy- Agree'd
He did help in Fire Emblem History, and he does suck as a lord, but at this point, he stands out among the other lords, which warrants his placement. Maybe if there was another lord with Roy's status, it'd be different. (Eliwood for SSB4!)

Doc
Doc Mario really set off the Puzzle game industry. Puzzle gamers were an underloved genre until Doc came along. Anyone who can save an entire genre of gaming deserves a spot.

Mewtwo- Agree'd
Nothing left to say here.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
*Facepalm* I picked Young Link, then as I pressed submitm I saw the big bold letters: "You may pick more than one character.

Ugh.
I changed the topic title to let more people know that it is a multiple choice poll. I am sorry. I left also a message in my the Smash 4 topic and the Cut Melee Character Alliance Group both detailing that this is a multiple choice poll. There is nothing left I can do to inform people that people can select multiple characters for this poll.

Also, excellent write-up Steelia. When Smash 4 rolls around, I would put my own (massive) two-cents in as to why the Fallen Five should be brought back.

Patinator

Smash Champion
...I'm gonna kill myself for saying this, but doggone it, it's worth it.

Why isn't there a Captain Falcon option? He got cut too. :(

*insert laugh track here*

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I changed the topic title to let more people know that it is a multiple choice poll. I am sorry. I left also a message in my the Smash 4 topic and the Cut Melee Character Alliance Group both detailing that this is a multiple choice poll. There is nothing left I can do to inform people that people can select multiple characters for this poll.

Also, excellent write-up Steelia. When Smash 4 rolls around, I would put my own (massive) two-cents in as to why the Fallen Five should be brought back.
Nah, it was completely my bad. You did everything right, I'm just a moron.

Ah well, Young Link's the only one I really want to see come back (either that or just make Toon more like Yink.)

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I would like to see mewtwo back just with a revamped move set to make him more fun to play some of his moves were great and could be kept but others can be replaced.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I find it interesting that Young Link is getting more votes than Pichu, especially considering this is a multiple choice poll and that Young Link was essentially reborn as Toon Link. I guess people don't like Dan Hibikis or joke characters in general.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Roy should have been in because I like him. (such wonderfully sound logic, I know.) And Mewtwo should have returned because, well, he just shouldn't have been cut in the first place. There is no reason that some generic 4th generation non-legendary should have replaced the final boss Pokemon of the first generation. No reason at all.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Hmmm, this forum seems to be dying down. I hope this poll can get a few more votes before this forum is removed or becomes private. Anyway, thanks to all of those who did vote in this poll.

mobilisq

Smash Ace
toon link is a sufficient replacement for young link, actually makes him a little more unique, ike i think is a better replacement for roy because he is at once a similar character while still being way different

pichu was a unique character that damaged himself, mewtwo rocked, and doc mario had different physics

those three would be great to have back

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
It seems a lot of people want only Mewtwo to return and nobody else. This is understandable considering he is the only nonclone of the Fallen Five. I am also surprised at Dox's performance (he has far more votes than other two alterego characters, Pichu and Young Link), perhaps due to the fact that he was the only tourney viable character of the Fallen Five.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Wow. 80 people voted in this poll which, means close to 25 people voted yesterday in the poll. Hopefully, we can get some more voters today.

Also, on a side note, what is going to happen to this forum after this week?

The reason why I am trying to get more votes is because I am not sure whether this forum is going to be removed or become private.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It'll likely be made viewable but not postable, like the pre-brawl brawl discussion threads.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
It'll likely be made viewable but not postable, like the pre-brawl brawl discussion threads.
I see. When do you think that this board will become read-only?

Anyway, it seems 8 people voted since yesterday. Let's see if we can cross the 100 mark for today. :)

Top Bottom