• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which currently represented first party series would you want a newcomer for next?

Which currently represented first party series would you want a newcomer for next? (Pick two.)

• Animal Crossing

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Duck Hunt

• EarthBound / MOTHER

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • Fire Emblem

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • F-Zero

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Game & Watch

• Ice Climber

• Kid Icarus

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Kirby

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Legend of Zelda, The

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Mario

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Metroid

• Mii

• Pikmin

• Pokémon

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Punch-Out!!

• R.O.B.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Splatoon

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Star Fox

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Wario

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Wii Fit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Yoshi

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters

11th

Smash Apprentice
The poll question is wrong -- pick up to three!

Discussion has been so focused on third-parties that I wanted to put a spotlight back on first-parties, even if only for a moment. In particular, I want to focus on the first party series that are already on the roster.

Feel free to post why you picked the series that you did, which character(s) you'd like, etc.

That said, I'd prefer that this not turn into a debate thread, so please try to avoid posting just to "justify" your picks or to put down someone else's. If your comment includes the phrases "should be" or "deserves to be", then you're probably justifying. X) Everyone is free to like what they like, and no one is wrong or worse for wanting something else.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I can only vote for two at a time. Can you increase that limit? I’d like to vote for 4 series myself...

11th

Smash Apprentice
I can only vote for two at a time. Can you increase that limit? I’d like to vote for 4 series myself...
The goal was to limit it so that people would need to think a bit more before voting. (There are definitely people who would check every box if they could.) One was way too restricting, though I did consider setting it to three... I could change it, but the title of the poll would be stuck with the "pick two". :/ I'd need to poke a mod to change that. Not sure if that would reset the poll or not.

I'll increase it to three for now.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
In my case: F-Zero (Black Shadow), Splatoon (Octoling), Xenoblade Chronicles (Elma and possibly also Mecha-Fiora).

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Zelda.

I'd have been content with what we have had they completely re-invinted Young Link (or ideally, both Young and Toon Link), but as it stands, the series feels lacking.

Give me Skull Kid, Vaati, Maple, or one of the Oracles.

Following that, I'd say Earthbound, simply because Porky is a glaring omission, and F-Zero simply because there's literally only one character there.
Punch-Out! would be conditional. It would get the nod if (and only if) we got Kevin Keene as another newcomer and the new Punch-Out! rep is King Hippo.

As I've said elsewhere though, I'd rather they hit up new 1st-Party series if they stop going external. Eternal Darkness first-and-foremost, but stuff like Magical X, Geist, Another Code, Hotel Dusk, Famicom Detective Club, Doshin, etc. as well.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I voted Zelda & Star Fox. Krystal for SF, literally anyone that isn't another Link/Zelda/Ganon for LoZ.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
My choices (one for Newcomers and one for Echo-Fighters)

Newcomers

Lugia
Fawful
Midna

Are Echo-Fighters allowed?

Last edited:

11th

Smash Apprentice
As I've said elsewhere though, I'd rather they hit up new 1st-Party series if they stop going external. Eternal Darkness first-and-foremost, but stuff like Magical X, Geist, Another Code, Hotel Dusk, Famicom Detective Club, Doshin, etc. as well.
Of course! New series are always nice to see. Unfortunately, polls have a maximum number of choices (fifty, I think), and I didn't want to leave anyone out.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I voted for Kirby, Yoshi and Wario, my most wanted are:
Bandanna Dee (Kirby)
Poochy (Yoshi)
Shake King (Wario)

Last edited:

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I voted Pokemon, Kirby and DKC my choices being: Meowth Bandana Dee and Dixie Kong.
While I'm not as invested into these, I do think Zelda and to a lesser extent Wario, Yoshi, Mario, Xenoblade and Pikmin (echo wise) could do with some newcomers.

Last edited:

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
There are three that come to mind, but I ultimately voted for DKC and Kirby. Both are missing key characters for their respective franchises, being of course Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee.

I'd also like to mention Zelda as my honorable mention. I think the series has all of the key characters covered, and has plenty of reps, which is why I ultimately went with the other two instead, but there's no denying Zelda could use a new rep. Their last truly new rep was in Melee, and half of the Zelda characters are clone characters. Personally my vote would go to Skull Kid, since he's easily the most iconic and recognizable villain from the series, aside from Ganon.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I would probably pick Kirby first, just because it has an immediately obvious choice in the form of Bandana Dee. I think we're well past the point of any series having any glaring omissions or needing more representation, but the the closest to fitting those statements would probably be Kirby (or Xenoblade, but I have no relation to it), and Bandana Dee would round off the modern main cast of the series.

I chose Zelda after that, while there aren't many reoccuring characters from this franchise, there are a lot of one-offs with lots of potential. I will always vouch for Skull Kid here, when the whole chair theory got out of hand the excitement for Skull Kid spread rapidly, even in the wider Smash communities that don't tend to go into the nitty gritty of speculation. If there ever was any doubt whether he was iconic or popular enough, I think that whole incident helps put those concerns to rest, I think out of the potential Nintendo newcomers remaining he's one of those that'd get the best reception.

Mother was my last pick. I'm super appreciative of all the content it already has considering its relatively niche status, but hey, if you let me pick then there's no way I'm not going to ask for more, Porky specifically. I kinda pondered going for DKC here, much for the same reasons as Kirby (it's hard to believe Dixie still isn't in), but I just like the three franchises I chose more.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
I voted for Xenoblade (Elma), and I would have voted for unrepresented first party if it was allowed (Isaac).

I would like Waluigi and Paper Mario too, they are on my wishlist, but I agree that Zelda shoud get another newcomer first. Not convinced by the needs for more on Kirby, Star Fox and DK however.

Finally, I severely disagree with anyone voting for EarthBound. That serie is old, finished, the 3rd game never left Japan, and even none games came to Europe, it sold less than Golden Sun or Xenoblade, and despite all of that, it has already more fighters than both. Be objective, that's far enough.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
A tricky question as I'd want new characters in all of them but keeping it to only two, I'd say Donkey King and Star Fox for Dixie Kong and Krystal respectively.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Literally Donkey Kong, Zelda and F Zero.

I firmly believe Cranky Kong is long overdo and I personally choose Cranky over Dixie Kong due to sheer uniqueness and the personality he would bring.

Ghirahim, great aesthetic, unique moveset potential and there's just more you can do with the character. His purpose is clearly incomplete.

Samurai Goroh, I also believe is long overdo. There's just something about him. He's memorable and honestly deserve to be in Smash.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I voted for Mario and Pokémon series. I want Toad and Meowth.

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
Was about to vote Xenoblade for KOS-MOS but then I remembered she is third party so my votes go to Fire Emblem (Anna or Byleth) and Pokemon (Eevee and Sceptile).

Gryphon827

Smash Apprentice
My most wanted character by far is Viridi from KI:U. I really hope that one of the other fighter's passes is more centered around first-parties, because Viridi would be basically guaranteed if that happened. I'd also really like to see Bandana Dee though.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
If echoes count then I'll include Dixie Kong, Dark Bowser and Black Shadow as well as my choices above.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Zelda easily. Tons of great games, tons of great characters, yet we have 3 links.

As my sig suggest i would love Kass, or any of the botw champions...it depends on BOTW 2 too though, but i really would love a botw exclusive character, and i think the game have earned it. If Botw 2 is as good or better than BOTW1, then i will want it even more. (BOTW 2 has a perfect timing for a shill pick too)

I find that kass or the champions are unique enough to bring the roster tons of flavour.

and the thing is Skull Kid or Midna or pig Ganon also fits the criteria of being unique colorful fighters, representing 3 great zelda games, that have had passed the test of time (Majoras Mask, and A link to the Past at least) along some dedicated fanbase.

And while i don't want hyrule warriors Impa as an orginal character since i rather have any of the characters above. Impa is an easy echo fighter material.

Regarding fire emblem... well, i want Edelgard. (or claude r dimitri at least), but i'm happy if we don't get more ( I mean.... yeah)

Regarding MII... i'm sorry but if they really want to amp up their mii costumes play like sans and cuphead, we need a MII Wizard.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
My vote goes to Zelda, DK, and Kirby

Zelda - pretty obvious a newcomer is needed. Someone like Impa or Vaati would greatly expand the seriee
Kirby - Bandanna Dee. We need more spear users and can make an unique moveset
DK - the series isn’t complete without Dixie to me

other - Toxtricity because biased

AigisRen

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-8311-2361-6150
Xenoblade Chronicles easily. The series representation is pretty bad so hopefully with a new fighter they could do a better job.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Kirby - Adeleine & Ribbon.

I know I can pick up to 3, but I selected only Kirby because I want a Kirby newcomer way more than anything else.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
1. Xenoblade Chronicles: Rex & Pyra/Mythra, Elma, or Fiora
2. The Legend of Zelda: Impa, Skull Kid, or Vaati
3. Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, or everyone's favorite, Kiddy Kong!
4. Splatoon: Octoling
5. Kirby: Bandana Waddle Dee

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Mario, Zelda, and Donkey Kong.
All criminally underrepresented.
Mario is missing MAJOR characters in Toad, Toadette, and Waluigi as well as minor characters like Geno, Dry Biwser, and King Boo.
With Fire Emblem and Pokémon so heavily represented, we need to remember who Nintendo's FLAGSHIP and MASCOT is.

Zelda is even worse in how underrepresented it is. It's incomparably larger than Fire Emblem, so it needs at least as many characters.
The only major omissions are Impa and Tingle, but I support a Zelda character to represent every major console release.
OOT: Shiek (already there)
MM: Skull Kid
WW: Tetra and/or Toon Zelda
TP: Midna + Wolf Link
SS: Impa (SS is her best incarnation)
BOTW: Revali

Donkey Kong is somehow even worse off than Mario and Zelda, only having THREE characters for Nintendo's fourth largest franchise.
Unfortunately, Donkey Kong has a relatively small cast, so it cannot really match Fire Emblem's 8 characters. But at least it's not Metroid. Lol.
Dixie, Cranky, Funky. The recurring Kongs. The rest are one-off characters. Maybe Rambi, but I don't see much moveset potential there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom