• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which controller will you use?

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
I am a longtime casual looking to become more competitive. I currently don’t own a Pro-controller or a GameCube controller for the Switch, and I will have to play in handheld mode much of the time. I haven’t really decided what controller I’m going to tackle the game with yet. The Pro and is kind of pricey, but maybe it would be worth the investment. I’m not sure about the third party ones. I’m just assuming that playing strictly with the Joy-cons will be uncomfortable and impractical.

What’s your plan?

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I personally don't see what would be wrong with the JoyCons (as long as your control sticks aren't off-kilter like mine).

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Switch Pro Controller. Quite possibly the best controller I've ever used.

Button mapping does change a bit:

A: Jump (might do grab if I'm in the mood)
B: Attack
X: Jump
Y: Special Attack

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Pro controller has more buttons and a circle gate. It’s recommended that you get the wired version to avoid connectivity issues.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
I'll start off with a GC controller, but I hope to get a pro controller at some point before the end of the year. I think the pro controller could be better suited for Ultimate, but I have never used one and haven't played Ultimate yet so who knows!

The Pro and Cube are kind of pricey, but maybe one would be worth the investment.
Aren't the new GC controllers like $30? That's not too pricey compared to the Pro.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Going with gamecube, although I am interested in maybe trying a pro-controller at some point

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I personally don't see what would be wrong with the JoyCons (as long as your control sticks aren't off-kilter like mine).
Sorry if I'm going off-topic, but I felt the need to elaborate on my statement about my Joycon stick being off-kilter.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I know the lighting's terrible and it's hard to see, but sometimes when I push the stick up, even after I stop touching it, the stick continues reading that it's being pushed up for an random length of time — sometimes just a second (enough to send a cursor up one space), other times for over half a minute or until I push the stick in another direction. Recalibrating through the Switch's settings menu doesn't seem very effective at fixing this — my guess is that some sort of debris got stuck under the stick and got lodged into the upper part of the base, so it occasionally gets in the way of the stick returning to the neutral position from being pushed up. Sadly, an air duster didn't fix the problem either. I just hope this doesn't screw with me while I'm trying to play games — it's annoying enough on menus.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if I'm going off-topic, but I felt the need to elaborate on my statement about my Joycon stick being off-kilter.

I know the lighting's terrible and it's hard to see, but sometimes when I push the stick up, even after I stop touching it, the stick continues reading that it's being pushed up for an random length of time — sometimes just a second (enough to send a cursor up one space), other times for over half a minute or until I push the stick in another direction. Recalibrating through the Switch's settings menu doesn't seem very effective at fixing this — my guess is that some sort of debris got stuck under the stick and got lodged into the upper part of the base, so it occasionally gets in the way of the stick returning to the neutral position from being pushed up. Sadly, an air duster didn't fix the problem either. I just hope this doesn't screw with me while I'm trying to play games — it's annoying enough on menus.
Dip a Q-tip in rubbing alcohol and rub it under the stick really good. Rotate the analog stick for about 3-5 minutes to lubricate it. If it keeps malfunctioning, do it again. I had to do this for my day 1 joycons every day until it worked correctly again. I never had any problems since then.

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I'll be using a GameCube since that is what I have been using since Melee, as well as every Smash game since then.

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
I will make sure I know how to use both my pro controller and GC controller. I already know how to use GC controller from over a decade of using them in smash games, but I also want to be able to use a pro controller, because honestly, I like it. They are SORT of similar anyway, so I do not see it being an issue either way ^_^

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Dip a Q-tip in rubbing alcohol and rub it under the stick really good. Rotate the analog stick for about 3-5 minutes to lubricate it. If it keeps malfunctioning, do it again. I had to do this for my day 1 joycons every day until it worked correctly again. I never had any problems since then.
Okay... I'll have to see if I have any liquid rubbing alcohol to use. I know I have alcohol wipes, but I'm guessing that won't work quite the same... Anyways, thanks for the advice.

EDIT: Oh ho, it seems to have worked! And it seems to have flushed up a strand of... hair-like something from beneath the control stick. That's probably what was interfering with the stick's snapback. I'll blow it out with an air duster.

B974D194-6234-4F2A-ACC4-F8E4237E1B05.jpeg

Last edited:

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Switch Pro and if that fails, I'll get the adapter so I can use Wii U Pro. Way better than GC tbh.

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice

I didn’t mention this before, but I’ve had the same problem for about a month. Gotta try this Q-tip trick.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I've owned the gamecube adapter for years for the benefit of friends, but I myself have never been stuck with the gamecube controller since I used to compete in Melee six years ago. Opting for almost any other option since. Now, with so many poor reviews of the switch pro controller for Smash, looks like I'm stuck with that adapter or my joycons. It will probably end up being the joycons.

Edgar Chez

Smash Rookie
Hi!, i feel gc controller offers the most complete classic experience, i find myself remapping buttons to adjust mechanics to ultimate, but also i learned how to play in a 3ds without triggers yay

dtm

Smash Rookie
I'm using a Switch Pro controller. Some of my friends got the $15 wired ones, but they seemed pretty cheap quality to me so I decided to go for the real thing.

Khao

Smash Lord
I'll be using Gamecube the most. But I'll definitely enjoy the Pro controller just as much if enough people are playing and we don't have enough Gamecubes available. I also expect to play in handheld mode a pretty decent amount of time, which means I'll be using the two joycons often.

I'll never play with a single sideways joycon if I can help it. For any kind of action game, that ****'s by far the most uncomfortable controller I've used in my entire life accross any system. It's bad enough for Mario Kart, I don't even want to imagine how it's gonna hold up for Smash.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Pro controller definitely.

It’s the most comfortable controller for me so why not

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
I've owned the gamecube adapter for years for the benefit of friends, but I myself have never been stuck with the gamecube controller since I used to compete in Melee six years ago. Opting for almost any other option since. Now, with so many poor reviews of the switch pro controller for Smash, looks like I'm stuck with that adapter or my joycons. It will probably end up being the joycons.
What sorts of problems has anybody mentioned with them?

D

Deleted member

The GameCube controller has always been my workhorse throughout my 13 years of playing Smash series, and as such I will be using that for Ultimate. With the possible exception of the Pro Controller, any other controller method will not do for me.

Sayonara :kirby:

Mapet

Smash Cadet
A regular Gamecube controller would be boring, so I bought a Lodgenet controller and I'm going to mod it (most likely just throw a normal GCN controller's guts inside the shell) for the meme factor.

gogojojo331

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1821-9451-2258
I kinda want a pro controller, but I'm broke as heck

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
The GameCube controller is the ULTIMATE controller. I'll just leave now. I've always used a GameCube controller and I plan to stick with it. If I ever bring the switch outside of home then I'll bring my smash pro controller instead.

washyrose670

Smash Apprentice
Got the Whor Hori Battlepad just for sh*ts and giggles. It’s not tiny like the other line of character themed GameCube controllers for the WiiU. But if for some reason I don’t like it I’ll just stick to classic GameCube.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
Most People here would probably go with the Gamecube controller as that's what most people are familiar with. It's more reliable if you've been using it for a long time and it's actually cheaper with the adapter, than getting an official pro controller.

I personally haven't compared the 2 but just based off experience with my own pro controller, I can tell it's reliable, durable and it can work with a wired connection so long as you enable that function on your Switch. So it's a far greater alternative to the gamecube controller than the wii u pro controller is. My Gamecube Controller **** the bed some time ago and I haven't gotten a new one yet so I'll be using the switch pro controller. If I find it to hamper my game enough though, I'll likely buy a gamecube controller. That said, I don't think it will. As I said, it's more reliable and durable and more optimal to the wii u pro.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Will be using the joycons. Last smash i played was brawl and i used wii-mote and nunchuk. i play best with weird control schemes. and i do play competitively. #ripwiimote/nunchuk

Arrei

Smash Lord
I've religiously used the Cube controller for all these years, but my current one's starting to wear out and cause more accidental side inputs when I'm trying to do a diagonal up input, and I happen to have a perfectly good Pro controller right here I haven't really been using... I think it might be time I moved on.

Top Bottom