• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Controller Will You Use?

kgozi

Smash Rookie
As many of you know the list below are confirmed controllers/options. Personally i will use the Wii U Pro controller im sure others will have other opinions :p
-Wiimote

-Wiimote + Nunchuk

-Classic Controller/Classic Controller Pro

-Wii U Pro Controller

-Gamecube via 3rd party adapter

-Gamepad/Tablet/whateveritscalled

-Note the gamecube adapter doesn't function as well as it does on the wii/gamecube 3rd party adapterd wouldnt be ideal for competitive players.

Last edited:

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
Either the Wii Classic Controller Pro or Wii U Pro Controller. Love em both.

JeanLucAwesome

Smash Rookie
NNID
JeanLuc Awesome
3DS FC
5026-5644-5277
Probably the gamepad, the abxy buttons on the pro are placed to awkwardly for me.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I'm probably going to go with the Game Pad. I've just gotten used to using it because of the other games I currently own.

JeanLucAwesome

Smash Rookie
NNID
JeanLuc Awesome
3DS FC
5026-5644-5277
ive never used the pro controller , im gonna stay with the gamecube controller!
I don't like it personally, the shape of how it sits in your hands doesn't feel great and the placement of the abxy is awful, they're way too centered away from where your thumb rests.

D

Deleted member

Probably the Wii U Pro Controller. I've used it before and it works fine.

The 3DS, most likely, unless I win a free Wii U in a sweepstakes or something. I'm actually kind of excited to play it on such a simple, SNES-like controller; just hope I don't break the circle pad!

T✪NY

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirenSoldier
3DS FC
0602-6384-5044
Kgozi is right. The 3rd party adapters for the game cube remote don't work all that great. Granted it's a way to get your gamecube controller on the WiiU, there is something called "dead zone" that effects the R and L trigger. Since the new triggers are just buttons instead of triggers the game cube trigger won't respond unless you push it all the way in. This creates a sort of delayed Block/evade, and if you like to play to the fullest with precise timing on your blocking/evading then don't buy the adapter.

That said... like Jawz I'm committed as well. So I purchased the best solution. 1st off I have to say that I like the placement of the A,B,X, and Y on the WiiU Pro Controller (hate the Classic Pro), but I don't like how the 2nd toggle is above those buttons. I've just about mastered my timing with the C-stick and I'm too lazy to relearn how to play competitively (granted it's only a flick of the thumb up instead of down) ... so.. my solution! which btw works awesomely but there is one problem and I'll explain it below.

That. I currently own one and have been using it for Super Mario 3D world. it works great. the only Problem I noticed was that this controller has actual triggers like the gamecube controller not the button like Triggers of the WiiU oriented controllers.. so far I've had no problems with dead zone.. but I'll have to wait I guess until smash comes out.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Pro Controller will probably satisfy me. I've enjoyed using it for SM3DW, and probably most importantly CoD. Which I don't really enjoy too much, but the point is that if I can still play decently in a genre where I've had the PS controls drilled into my head, I'm sure I'll be able to adjust from Wii+Nunchuck to the Pro.

YT123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Olaf551
3DS FC
5069-4175-0996
Wii U Pro Controller. It's a decent alternative for the Gamecube Controller.

T✪NY

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirenSoldier
3DS FC
0602-6384-5044
Oh yeah I forgot to post the name to that controller I posted above, not sure if anyone likes it or not but... it's the WiiU Pro Commander. and for a 3rd party controller it has an excellent build.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Oh yeah I forgot to post the name to that controller I posted above, not sure if anyone likes it or not but... it's the WiiU Pro Commander. and for a 3rd party controller it has an excellent build.
It actually looked very interesting to me, though the color scheme puts me off just a bit. Basically if I find myself dissatisfied enough with the Pro, I'll probably look more seriously into that one.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
I wanna use my good ol' orange GC controller. It's done me good for well over 10 years now.

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
The pro. I like GameCube controller, but it's time to move on.
This essentially.
It doesn't take me long to get used to a new controller anyway. I'll be back to my old smash grove in no time I'm sure :)

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
The Wii U Pro controller is really neat. Most people who are clinging to their Gamecube controllers will have to switch in the long run anyway. Didn't Sakurai say at one point that the game is being developed with the Pro controller in mind?

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
The Wii U Pro controller is really neat. Most people who are clinging to their Gamecube controllers will have to switch in the long run anyway. Didn't Sakurai say at one point that the game is being developed with the Pro controller in mind?
Yeah I remember hearing that too, definitely influences my decision.

Reznor

work in progress
people forget that Brawl was made with the Gamecube controller in mind
if that matters

Top Bottom