• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which characters benefit more from smash stick over tilt stick?

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
I've already kind of alluded to it above, but Olimar is the perfect character to use smashstick with. Asked Myran and Dabuz myself. Two of the best Olimar mains in the world.
Yeah that makes sense. Could get by without it, but having some of the best smash attacks in the game, but mediocre tilts, probably makes the slight sacrifice to aerial momentum worth it. I could see the argument for Ness as well.

ASAP_Smash

Smash Cadet
I use smash stick for reverse up smash rushes and up smash oos with the Mario’s. It doesn’t hurt me considering they are better off cancelling dash with their frame two rapid jab rather than their f-tilt.

saiyan.

Feint - Snake Eyes
Anytime you need to do turn around tilts primarily then it’s a lot easier to use tilt stick. Having to input it with A instead of performing a smash can be difficult and leaves a lot more room for error.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
I use smash stick for reverse up smash rushes and up smash oos with the Mario’s. It doesn’t hurt me considering they are better off cancelling dash with their frame two rapid jab rather than their f-tilt.
Actually yeah, I agree with that. I don't think I use Doc's tilts out of a run very often, but I do find myself using his up smash a bit slower than I'd like. I have a second name in my game specifically for the few characters that I prefer smash stick with, and I think I'll be adding Doc to the list.

Volfang

Smash Rookie
Interesting, I have a much greater preference for him with tilt stick on. It probably has a lot to do with my preference of A + Stick smash attacking, but for me the tilts (especially ftilt and dtilt) are so useful for both racking up easy tipper damage from baiting opponents or to start up combos respectively.
Likewise I hate that there is no option to remove tap-smashing. I guess it's down to preference in general, but tilt-stick is definitely not required.

ASAP_Smash

Smash Cadet
Actually yeah, I agree with that. I don't think I use Doc's tilts out of a run very often, but I do find myself using his up smash a bit slower than I'd like. I have a second name in my game specifically for the few characters that I prefer smash stick with, and I think I'll be adding Doc to the list.
So I actually started using tilt stick. It’s Doc’s only low risk ground attack that covers that diagonal air space in front of him. Upb covers that area, but if you whiff then you’re donezo.

I mean really there’s no repercussion to tilt stick. Just having to get into the habit of left stick smashes. Remember,

You can dash forward smash with tilt stick
You can’t dash forward tilt with smash stick

Last edited:

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
So I actually started using tilt stick. It’s Doc’s only low risk ground attack that covers that diagonal air space in front of him. Upb covers that area, but if you whiff then you’re donezo.

I mean really there’s no repercussion to tilt stick. Just having to get into the habit of left stick smashes. Remember,

You can dash forward smash with tilt stick
You can’t dash forward tilt with smash stick
I mean, you can do both in either configuration, it's just slower (for both things). But I see what you mean. I just find that I don't need his tilts specifically as a reaction to something, only as a planned action, which I end up doing with the left stick most of the time anyways. We'll see if I end up doing more tilts on reaction with Doc as time goes, but for now the only thing I personally feel the need to react with is up smash and occasionally down smash to cover ledge rolls. I am fast enough with left stick 90% of the time, but up-smash OOS on faster aerials feels easier with right stick for me. I still refer tilt stick for basically every single other character that I play (roughly one third of the cast at this point) so I definitely see tilt stick as the overall superior option for most of my characters. I might even end up bringing it back for Doc, too, but it doesn't hurt to at least try different schemes for different characters.

ASAP_Smash

Smash Cadet
I mean, you can do both in either configuration, it's just slower (for both things). But I see what you mean. I just find that I don't need his tilts specifically as a reaction to something, only as a planned action, which I end up doing with the left stick most of the time anyways. We'll see if I end up doing more tilts on reaction with Doc as time goes, but for now the only thing I personally feel the need to react with is up smash and occasionally down smash to cover ledge rolls. I am fast enough with left stick 90% of the time, but up-smash OOS on faster aerials feels easier with right stick for me. I still refer tilt stick for basically every single other character that I play (roughly one third of the cast at this point) so I definitely see tilt stick as the overall superior option for most of my characters. I might even end up bringing it back for Doc, too, but it doesn't hurt to at least try different schemes for different characters.
So I just did some testing and it turns out that there is no frame adavantage between left stick and c-stick. All tilts and smashes can be buffered, or released on the same frames as the corresponding stick.

HOWEVER, tilt stick remains dominant due to one tiny detail that is unique to tilt attack. When using tilt attack, the C-stick allows tilts to be executed with a “flick”. Left stick cannot do this as it will always input a smash attack.

Last edited:

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
So I just did some testing and it turns out that there is no frame adavantage between left stick and c-stick. All tilts and smashes can be buffered, or released on the same frames as the corresponding stick.

HOWEVER, tilt stick remains dominant due to one tiny detail that is unique to tilt attack. When using tilt attack, the C-stick allows tilts to be executed with a “flick”. Left stick cannot do this as it will always input a smash attack.
Correct, there is no time difference regarding planned inputs, but it's faster for me personally to quickly hit a stick up while holding shield for example than it is for me to hit a different stick up an simultaneously hit a button. It's a personal thing for me that really only affects like two or three characters.

EDIT: Also doing up smash as soon as physically possible out of initial dash.

Last edited:

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Smash stick on :ultpalutena:. Her tilts are strong but still too situational. You will almost never need to tilt out of dash on Palutena; she has much more effective options. Meanwhile, smash stick enables her to do dash-turn-around-forward smashes and easier up smashes out of dash.

Yawshi

Smash Cadet
I think that wolf benefits from tilt stick a lot because, wolf mostly uses tilt attacks and, his smash attacks are usually used when trying to take a stock.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I find it impossible to play either of the Marios without smash stick. Having easy access to up smash is just a must.

I don’t imagine using tilt stick with Jigglypuff would be very effective either, considering her tilts are, to put it bluntly, garbage.

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
Does setting the "No Name" profile to tilt stick mean everyone without a name has to use tilt stick?

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
You should set the right stick to tilt or smash based on which type of attack you use more often in order to reduce button presses.

And as far as I'm aware, almost every character should be played using more tilts than smashes, therefore making tilt stick the overwhelmingly better default option.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
It largely comes down to who wants to do sliding ftilt or sliding fsmash.

The marios definitely wants smash stick since most of his kills come from them. Reverse usmash is easier and more feasible to due after tighter dashes, sliding and properly angled fsmash has way more range and is a great burst option to punish people hanging on the ledge, and dash reverse dsmash to better punish some airdodges is nice at times.

(Some may argue he wants sliding ftilt; And it is very interesting. By far his quickest, most ranged option out of dash. But the issue is it's a hurtbox, so it gets stuffed without them even trying. And it has SO much burst range, it becomes unsafe on shield)

Inkling also likes it so they can do dash sliding fsmash after roller bury more consistently. Likely similarly with didy.

Ftilt is mostly for out of shield turnaround punishes, as dash attack is a better burst option.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Pac likes tilt stick, as does Ridley (At least when I play him). Incineroar loves it to to ensure all his great tilts come out and not an accidental smash (especially out of shield). I'm not really sure who would truely LOVE smash stick these days, at least for me. I've grown to love tilt stick way too much to ever go back, even if it'd benefit a character more.

Vistra31

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vistra9000
3DS FC
4038-6222-6181
Switch FC
SW-2087-0604-7226
For the Pit's it's preference. I never use the right stick but I'd imagine tilt is better as it's safer and the range/options after tilts are more useful.

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
I personally use special stick for most of my characters, because im just Used to BIDOU from smash 4 and I am having difficulty to stop doing it (though i really should stop).

CharacterCrisisKing

Smash Apprentice
I have trouble performing smashes otherwise, honestly. I prefer it over tilt stick because tilts are easier to perform (aside from ftilt, I keep using dash attacks on accident).

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
I know Fox players who prefer smash stick so they never miss an up smash input but I personally use tilt stick so I can get running tilts.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Mario IMO. His best tilt is D tilt and the others are quite weak. His smashes are very strong, fast, and safe, and are usually better than his tilts IMO (besides D-Tilt)

Top Bottom