• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

which characters are the best counters against Ganondorf?

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf is such a frustrating character..and so far the only character that i just can't seem to beat online if it's a 1 vs 1 battle...it's frustrating cause i tried different characters..but i still got my ass kicked..and enough is enough! >:l

i need advice for this 1..i just can't seem to figure it out against Ganondorf... i been able to figure out what works best for me with most characters i struggled with,
but Ganondorf seems to impossible for me...T~T

characters i consider my mains are :ulttoonlink::ultpeach::ultdarkpit::ultfalco::ultzelda::ultroy::ultpalutena:
Secondaries :ultrosalina::ultyounglink::ultinklingboy::ultlucina::ultpit::ultdaisy:

are any of these any good against Ganon? and if so..then what's the best playstyle to use? ^^''

D

Deleted member

Mod Edit: Content removed

But seriously, heavies like DDD and Bowser are your best bet.

Last edited by a moderator:

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
Any characters that outrange Ganon are ideal. Not just zoners, but even fighters with disjoints (like all the sword fighters).

So: :ultlucina::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink::ultzelda:

I don't think :ultroy: is a problem because he has to get into Ganon's range.

I'm not sure about the other fighters you use, because I haven't fought enough them to know for sure. Maybe :ultpalutena: is a problem? I think :ultpit::ultdarkpit:would be a problem if they go off stage, but I haven't fought any Pits who do.

Last edited:

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
I would recommend Pichu and Pikachu, but you don't need to pick up another character. Your main issue is having way too many mains. All of your characters are effective against Ganondorf, especially Peach and any version of Link. I don't want to sound harsh, but you're relying way too much on counter picking. You need narrow your main choices down to about 3 characters so your improvement isn't spread out between 13 characters.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Ness does super well against Ganon. PK Fire traps him forever and your fast disjointed aerials give him problems. Plus he really doesn’t like being juggled by PK Thunder. Ness racks up percent on Ganon really fast then has no problem killing him

Dimir

Smash Rookie
In my personal experience, these are some of the harder matchups

Simon/Richter: Projectile city. Down special is particularly nasty, because it safely shuts down Wizard Kick which would otherwise be useful for beating the boomerang. To be fair, once you get in past the wall of projectiles you can f**k Simon/Richter up. Once they are offstage, Ganon has the tools to consistently edgeguard with a little practice. However, getting through the projectiles is vastly difficult, largely because of Ganons slow movement speed and abysmal aerial drift.

Pichu/Pikachu: Ganon can really struggle with small characters, especially if they are as fast as pika. Smart Pichu/Pika players who cross you up with Nair a lot are a nightmare. Some moves like jab and short hop nair are way less usful vs these characters, because they often go right over their heads. Top all this off with a decent projectile. The only saving grace in this matchup is how easy it is to take stocks once you actually hit them.

Jigglypuff: I feel less confident about this one but seems pretty bad to me. Small size combined with exceptional aerial drift makes puff really hard to hit. Puff can weave in and out around Ganon's slow moves and punish accordingly. Because puff is often in the air, some options like Wizard Kick and d-tilt lose a lot of value, and jab will go over her head when she is grounded. Also I think puff should have an easy time edgeguarding ganon.

Out of your personal character pool, I think Links, Inkling, and Palutena are your best bets. The other ones I either don't have much matchup experience or don't feel threatened by.

Here's some general tips vs Ganon that can be applied with most characters: Edgeguard! Ganon's recovery does not have a lot of mixups, so you should be able to run off and hit him with an aerial a reasonable amount of the time. Mix up your roll and teching patterns. Don't corner yourself at the ledge like a noob or you will die in 1-2 hits. I've zero-to-death'd people with F-smash into n-air2. Respect Ganon's upsmash when landing on platforms. Camp him with projectiles. Cross him up a lot (I'm too lazy to explain what a cross up is, so if you aren't familiar look it up). And finally, combo him to death.

Last edited:

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Ness does super well against Ganon. PK Fire traps him forever and your fast disjointed aerials give him problems. Plus he really doesn’t like being juggled by PK Thunder. Ness racks up percent on Ganon really fast then has no problem killing him
Actually, I feel like Ness and Lucas are two of my favorite match-ups. If I can avoid projectiles, I usually get in there with a falling n-air or fast fall jab/d-tilt then follow into some sort of other punish. Also, I feel like there's something about Ness and Lucas' aerial movement that makes them magnetized to a Ganon b-air. ;)

Top Bottom