• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Character will make the most of HD?

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
So since Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will be HD with high quality textures, which character will benefit the most from it. My personal list of candidates is: Donkey Kong, Samus, Pit, Fox, and Link.

DK and Fox get in for the fur, Samus and Link both have chain-link textures. Link, Pit and Fox also share the layered clothing aspect, as does Samus to some degree. Bowser and Olimar are honorable mentions, but I think their textures and designs in general are too solid/smooth for them to be on the list.

Now for the eliminations:
DK is awesome in a screenshot, but in game I doubt you will really notice how good he looks in HD.

Pit's design, while layered is still to simple to me amazing in HD, however, if the game has good fabric physics, he could become very cool in HD.

Samus is awesome and all, but her polygon count appears low, probably a design choice based on her armor being metal and all...

Fox suffers from the same problems as Pit, awesome looks, but not a complex enough character to be the best, even though he 1-upped Pit with his fur.

This leaves Link to be my champion, why? Because his hair looks amazing, he has at least 3 clothing layers, also the textures on the shield, sword, and sword sheath are all awesome, not to mention the belts and gauntlets.

Have fun rating who you think will look the best in HD! :D

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
By number rating (with Mario and Link as benchmark and maximum, respectively):

Kirby: 1
Villager: 2
Wii Fit Trainer: 2
Pikachu: 3
Mega man: 3.5 :p
Olimar: 4
Mario: 5
DK: 6
Samus: 6
Bowser: 7
Pit: 8
Fox: 9
Link: 10

The more I thought about it, Samus isn't all that great in HD due to unnecessarily pointy armor, and I didn't give Bowser enough credit. Also, I'm not sure why I said Olimar was an honorable mention. XD

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Of the announced ones: DK and Link.

However, I can imagine that Ganondorf will look beastly as hell.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Fighting Polygon Team, obviously.

I'd say Samus got the biggest improvement. Her Other M armor looks awful in the game itself, but great in SSB.

Sane.

Smash Cadet
We already know Samus looks great, as a Link fan I'm excited to see how well they work his outfit and his projectile accessories. ^_^

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
King Dedede's clothes will look awesome in HD as well as Ness's design. Can't imagine Mr. Game and Watch changing though :p

Sane.

Smash Cadet
King Dedede's clothes will look awesome in HD as well as Ness's design. Can't imagine Mr. Game and Watch changing though :p
High Definition G&W is the best thing to ever happen to HDMIinputdevices!

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
Captain Falcon's golden nipples and his dreamy 12 pack will look great in HD.

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
oops double post

I'll take this opportunity to say that the game looks like it will have dynamic shadows, while the 3ds gets the normal circle underfoot. That's gonna look awesome

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Yeah I'd love to see how Ice Climbers turn out.
In Brawl their faces were kinda creepy looking though.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I think a character like Meta Knight may benefit well from it, due to his wings and cape.

DK's fur gets a lot out of it though.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Kirby, no doubt. Did anyone else lol at when Kirby went from Melee to Brawl and he was the only one to look the exact same? Even his face said "WTF?"

Anyways, I think DK would, I mean, look at his hair! Same with Link, the first thing I noticed about him was how detailed his hair looked when he shielded Megaman's metal blade. It flowed so perfectly, and majestically.

Rioni

Smash Apprentice
I love the look on DK's and Fox's furs. Also Kirby and Pikachu are both really adorablee

I really can't wait to see the looks of the other returning characters in that glorious HD world, mostly Marth, Ness, Lucas, and the other Pokémon.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Let me see, what characters will look cool in HD and why...

Donkey Kong: Obviously the best of it so far.
Ganondorf: Can't wait to see how he looks!
King K. Rool: Scales and all.
Sonic: Can't wait to see his "spines"/ "fur" in HD!
Mr. Game & Watch: :awesome:
Lucario: There better be fur on him.
Toon Link: His hair should be like Link's.
Zero Suit Samus: Hehehehehehe I'm a teenage boy...

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
Lol, everyone says DK's hair will be amazing, but I'd guess you won't be able to tell in a fight. I guess we'll have to see some DK gameplay before we can decide. :)

Crystanium

Smash Hero
  • The Varia Suit's color is neither too vibrant, nor dull. The helmet and breastplate look beautiful in contrast to the visor and the lighting.
  • I like the black, under layer. It gives Samus that appearance that she's not all clunky like her previous incarnations. It could have looked a tad more detailed, however.
  • The armor has some pointed areas where the knees and boots are at, but that's been common in all incarnations, really.

Uffe

Smash Hero
If DK's fur flows as if running through a breezy meadow, then I'll be happy. Samus looks pretty nice. Link as well. I wish Pikachu would stop being a hairless mouse with yellow skin.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Wondering what look Zelda/Shiek will have.
If Toon Link returns he'll look incredible based on the Windwaker HD model.
I'm most curious about Yoshi and what look he'll have.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Since metal textures will have light reflective properties. Anyone who is metal would seem just amazing. Inb4 metal textures. R.O.B would look amazing if thats the case, Metaknight (hopefully balanced) would probably look amazing with his mask and stuff. Snakes grenades should shine when you throw them. Im also hype for Kirby's copy hats and how they will look in HD, therefore Samus/CF/R.O.B hat would be boss.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Anyone not thinking DK's ingame appearance is all that impressive? His render is phenomenal, but ingame it just looks like his fur is slightly blurred.

Top Bottom