• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which character survives the longest 'with' DI?

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I've always been curious about who actually lives the longest in brawl, so I've decided to find out myself.

How It was tested: I used Link's DSmash and Falcon's DSmash for the vertical and horizontal weights, from the middle of Final Destination, in practice mode. DI was upright for Falcon's DSmash and right for Link's DSmash. I then used 'whichever character was being tested' fastest aerial, followed by a fastfall.

O = Overall
H = Horizontal
V = Vertical

Vertical Weight With Directional Influence

(Link's DSmash, DI Right, aerial, fastfall.)

Character...Survived Till....Aerial Used...Actual Weight (O/H/V)
Donkey K......183%.........BAir..................(1st/2nd/3rd)
King D3........179%.........FAir....................(2nd/6th/1st)
Bowser........178%..........FAir....................(3rd/1st/4th)
Snake..........178%.........BAir......................(3rd/3rd/2nd)
Ganon.........173%.........NAir......................(4th/8th/6th)
Falcon..........171%........NAir......................(5th/10th/5th)
Ike..............169%........BAir........................(6th /10th/7th)
Charizard......168%........BAir.......................(5th/4th/9th)

Horizontal Weight With Directional Influence

(Captain Falcon's DSmash, DI Upleft, aerial, fastfall.)

Character...Survived Till....Aerial Used...Actual Weight (O/H/V)
King D3......152%...........FAir...................(2nd/6th/1st)
Snake........149%...........BAir....................(3rd/3rd/2nd)
Donkey K..146%.............BAir...................(1st/2nd/3rd)
Bowser.....142%.............FAir....................(3rd/1st/4th)
Falcon......142%............NAir.....................(5th/10th/5th)
Ganon......141%............NAir.....................(4th/8th/6th)
Charizard...140%...........BAir.....................(5th/4th/9th)
Wario.......139%...........FAir.......................(7th/6th/11th)
Ike..........139%...........BAir........................(6th/10th/7th)
Yoshi.......134%...........UAir.........................(8th/6th/11th)
Samus.....133%...........UAir..........................(9th/4th/14th)
Link........131%...........BAir.........................(10th/8th/10th)
Wolf.......131%..........BAir...........................(11th/12th/11th)

Okay so, (with DI) Donkey Kong survives the longest against attacks that launches targets vertical, and King Dedede survives the longest against attacks that launches targets horizontal.

Now, the average DI weight.

King D3.........165.5.
Donkey Kong.. 164.
Snake..........163.5.
Bowser.......160.
Ganon........157.
Falcon........156.5.
Ike............154.
Charizard.....154.

From all this testing, I found King D3 to be the heaviest. That being said, if you include other factors in, such as, King D3 being the easiest character to combo, I'd say either Donkey Kong or Snake are the heaviest characters. Ganon, doesn't have much weight compared to the others to begin with, and he's the second easiest character to combo in the game, which doesn't help at all. Falcon on the other hand isn't easily comboed, has excellent maneuverability, and Ganon's weight, which makes him difficult to star KO.

TheStig

Smash Lord
yeah try bucket braking but if you aren't a g&w main it could be difficult

i survived at 97% from a tippered fsmash from marf with this

@HomE

Smash Ace
What about Donkey Kong and his Up B stopping all momentum just like the bucket, wouldnt that help?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
With Ike it's better to AD then Bair. Bair takes to long. And I'm fairly sure Falcon's Uair -> Nair for this sort of thing...

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Umm DeDeDe's Bair is faster then his Fair last time I checked...
I don't think the speed of a attack is a factor during momentum canceling. King DeDeDe's FAir seemed to work a lot better than his BAir.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Falcon's uair ends way before nair. I live really long with momentum canceling, I think Falcon is in the top 3. And the determining factor of what aerial to use is the one that ends the fastest for horizontal momentum canceling (maybe you knew, just saying), and any aerial that is fastfalled will work for vertical momentum canceling.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Falcon's uair ends way before nair. I live really long with momentum canceling, I think Falcon is in the top 3. And the determining factor of what aerial to use is the one that ends the fastest for horizontal momentum canceling (maybe you knew, just saying), and any aerial that is fastfalled will work for vertical momentum canceling.
I thought that at first to, but NAir worked better, for both Ganon and Falcon. I think it has something to do with the last kick, cancels more momentum, perhaps?

Nicole

Smash Champion
This is cool, thanks for testing everything. I always figured DDD lived the longest, just from playing him alot and him NEVER EVER DYING!!

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
I thought ROB's jumps didn't counteract knockback momentum. Or his upB or something... otherwise he'd be up there due to his weight and the speed of fair I think.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Fastfalling doesn't help horizontal survivability, only vertical- that's why Snake (and maybe Ike, I'm not sure) are better off airdodging for horizontal recovery because of their slow aerials.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Just incase you were unaware, Sonic's best momentum canceling option is -

FF Fair + Down B

If you were only testing with the FF Fair then it's innaccurate. The Down B does a great deal of canceling.

:093:

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Interesting. There are alot of special attacks that greatly help in surviving, but I guess you only used aerials. ZSS Down B for example.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I only tested with aerials. Though, I may start testing with what works best for a character now.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Snake's fast falled up air reduces more vertical knockback than his fast falled back air. So retest Snake's vertical weight.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Snake's fast falled up air reduces more vertical knockback than his fast falled back air. So retest Snake's vertical weight.
Fastfalls are fastfalls. Aerials cannot ever in any way affect people's survivability at all vertically. However, the fact though that back air makes his body "thinner" vertically may let him live by a few % longer than Uair even if it "canceled more knockback," which it doesn't.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
with my experience its definitely been meta. I've been able to DI up to 160+%.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Diddy doesn't survive that long in the first place, but use D-Air instead of B-Air if you test him; it has a better momentum cancel, as was recently figured out.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Fastfalls are fastfalls. Aerials cannot ever in any way affect people's survivability at all vertically. However, the fact though that back air makes his body "thinner" vertically may let him live by a few % longer than Uair even if it "canceled more knockback," which it doesn't.
As of my tests, up air is better, so you are wrong. It could be but it's a nope. I live longer vertically by doing a fast falled up air instead of a fast falled back air.

The Nutz of Norcal Deez

Smash Apprentice
dont mean to brag, but my mario has been known to live past 140% on average v.s. the following:

Falco's Fsmash, Usmash, & Bair

ROB's Fsmash, Usmash, Bair & Laser shot offstage

Snake's F-tilt, Bair, Usmash, C4(DownB)

Metnite's Nair, Dsmash, Fsmash

Of course these are situational due to staleness, position on stage, and anticipation to SDI when I can.

my form of DI with Mario Horizontally: Up-Air to Jump-Dair. Cape away from stage, then FLUDD back to gain some more momentum towards the stage.

Vertically: SDI & DI Left/Right(situational) Dair to FLUDD pointing upwards to slow myself a little more.

DoonKoon

Smash Journeyman
This is cool. Thanks for testing this! But I think this should be moved to Tactical.

Also, isn't Ganon the slowest and easiest char to combo in the game?

and he's only the 5th heaviest?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
No, this shouldn't be moved anywhere. It should have stayed dead like it was instead of being bumped.

Jeez, there's a warning when something is months old. You should think about whether or not your post warrants a 3 month bump before posting.

Top Bottom