• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Character is the best secondary for a King Dedede main

Krubby

Smash Cadet
This is something I've always tried to figure out, and I think the character that handles Dedede's worse matchups best is Pikachu. Cloud, ZSS and Sonic all have bad matchups with him and Pika stomps a lot of low and midtiers that give Dedede trouble. The other obvious answer is Sheik lmao.

D

Deleted member

:4yoshi: Solid matchup spread all around, good frame data, a combo breaker nair, best air mobility in the game, deadly at edgeguarding, one of the best command grabs in the game, disjointed and powerful aerials... Yoshi's a really solid choice as a secondary to Dedede. Has a bit of a learning curve, but once you get the hang of him he's awesome.

:4myfriends: Ike may only be mid-tier but he gets a lot of Dedede's bad matchups out of the way, and it seems like in light of recent metagame developments he can hold his own against characters like ZSS, Pikachu and Sonic. That, and he's just fun as hell. He gets so much reward off good spacing and his moves are overall rather fast for somebody with high damage output and KOing power.

:4cloud:This is a no-brainer. Cloud's one of the easiest characters in the game to play and works as a pocket considering how good he is.

:4diddy:Top 5 neutral, good stage control and deadly KO setups thanks to Banana, good range, frame data and a hella good command grab and burst mobility option in the form of Monkey Flip and has the best Sheik matchup of anybody in the roster.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Not his best secondaries but i would have to say the most comfortable characters to switch into after playing Dedede are :4kirby: and :4bowser:, they both have a lot of similar attributes to him. Again not the best secondaries but when you change to them imo it doesn't feel like you have to change the playstyle that much.

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
Been using Corrin a lot to cover some matchups, and think she works well. Whether she actually covers a lot of relevant stuff, I'm not certain though.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
So far, the only times when I've need to switch off of DDD is versus Mega Man and versus Lucario

:4sheik: - Versus a Mega Man that knows the MU, I feel completely powerless as DDD. His lemons, Neutral B, and Up air just prevent everything that I try to do, and that's just three moves out of his entire moveset, and every move has a use. It honestly feels almost unwinnable. This is the only MU where I will switch to Sheik. If you are confident with your hands, and your execution, Sheik is an easy counter. Her combos and gameplan are not complicated, they are just input intensive. But Sheik's needles can beat out all of Mega Man's stuff, and she can edge guard Mega Man very well, often gimping him early. The MU is heavily in Sheik's favor. The other MU that I have considered using Sheik is vs. Sonic because she is probably Sonic's worst MU, and against a good Sonic Dedede also struggles very hard.

:4charizard: - This one is probably more personal, since Zard is my secondary but his MU spread is so similar to DDD's that I rarely get a chance to use him. However, vs. Lucario, Zard is much better than DDD. Not only is Zard much faster, giving Lucario less time to charge Aura Sphere, Charizard can guarantee a kill at high percents with U-throw, whereas with DDD, a safe Lucario can get to 150-200% which is absolutely terrifying. Killing Lucario at around 130 or earlier with platforms is so crucial to winning the MU. Also Zard can punish Lucario's Up-B endlag anywhere on stage very well with Flare Blitz. This MU is not the worst for DDD, but boy is it annoying and Lucario's power can spiral out of control if you can't get a read.

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
:4diddy:Top 5 neutral, good stage control and deadly KO setups thanks to Banana, good range, frame data and a hella good command grab and burst mobility option in the form of Monkey Flip and has the best Sheik matchup of anybody in the roster.
Tbh Ryu is the best in the Sheik matchup, a lot of players on the Sheik boards think that Ryu wins the matchup

That along with a ****ton of other reasons is why I would take Ryu. He can 0-death everyone so messing up once is death. He covers a lot of the top tier matchups like Sheik or ZSS for sure

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
Been using Corrin the past two tourneys with mixed success. Likely going to stick with her to cover matchups. She's fairly easy to play, has strong tools,and (so far) seems to do alright in the matchups that give me the most pause as D3. A lot of that is probably personal stuff, mind.

(Toon) Link, Fox, Mega Man, Greninja, Bayo, and ZSS are definite switches for me. Nothing else has really made me feel the absolute need to switch (though I really don't like the Pikachu matchup). So far Fox has felt like the worst, but then again my region has more strong Foxes than the other characters listed here, so Iunno.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
You have to ask: who are D3's worst matchups? ZSS, Sonic, Yoshi, and Megaman all come to mind. So who does well against all of these?

For me, the answer is Pikachu...and I'm not sure how he hasn't come up already. The rat's my secondary, and while it's a very different playstyle from D3, if you can handle both I think together they can really cover all the bases. D3's a very setup and reactionary-based character, Pika is more about rushdown and mixups (he can be played defensively too). Then D3 is great at outspacing and punishing people who throw out wanton hitboxes, while Pika plays with a precisely opposite style.

He's also one of the best characters in the game to use against ZSS, hard stop. AND he's adorable. What else do you want? :025:

Krubby

Smash Cadet
Yoshi is a bad Dedede matchup? I always felt like that was one of the high-tier matchups that gave me the least trouble. But yeah, learning Pika has been really rough for me but having a direct counterpick to ZSS, Sonic, Megameme and Cloud is super helpful. Add that he's a likable character and I only want to play competitive smash if it's with characters I love and Pikachu seems like such a great secondary.

Last edited:

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Yoshi is a bad Dedede matchup? I always felt like that was one of the high-tier matchups that gave me the least trouble. But yeah, learning Pika has been really rough for me but having a direct counterpick to ZSS, Sonic, Megameme and Cloud is super helpful. Add that he's a likable character and I only want to play competitive smash if it's with characters I love and Pikachu seems like such a great secondary.
Yoshi has the best aerial mobility in the game (not counting puff), great damage, a solid punish on shields, and a fantastic projectile... mmmyeah he's a problem for D3. He can zone or rush you down, no prob.

Good luck with Pika! He's hard to get into without killing yourself half the time; watch a lot of ESAM's matches, and check out his channel, he has a ton of vids up for learning pika (like jab locks).

Last edited:

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I can understand your confusion. I don't think I have ever played a Yoshi that plays the MU vs DDD correctly. If yoshi just spams eggs and then punishes DDD's desperate attempts to somehow get past his egg wall, there isn't much you can do. However I have played a few Yoshis at my locals and on Anther's, and not one realized this. They just went aggressive and did a lot of unsafe things. Many Yoshis just seem to forget that they have such an amazing projectile. If they do remember that, the MU becomes just as hard as the Megaman matchup

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
:4cloud:for sure.

Easiest character in the game to pick up and play. Top 3 character (perhaps #2). Low learning curve. Also probably does not lose a single matchup, except maybe :4bayonetta:, especially after the :4sheik:nerfs in 1.1.5.

The only issue is after you learn Cloud you won't have much of a reason to play D3 anymore since Cloud is such a better character.

Honestly though if you're committed to playing D3, you want someone who can deal with camping for the most part. It also depends on what matchups you aren't going to use D3 for, because he has a ton of bad matchups.

Last edited:

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
:4cloud:for sure.

Easiest character in the game to pick up and play. Top 3 character (perhaps #2). Low learning curve. Also probably does not lose a single matchup, except maybe :4bayonetta:, especially after the :4sheik:nerfs in 1.1.5.

The only issue is after you learn Cloud you won't have much of a reason to play D3 anymore since Cloud is such a better character.

Honestly though if you're committed to playing D3, you want someone who can deal with camping for the most part. It also depends on what matchups you aren't going to use D3 for, because he has a ton of bad matchups.
Or someone who could OUTCAMP an opponent. This is why I think Duck Hunt Duo and Link can cover Dedede really well. Link's disjoints with his Sword also help immensely.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
I've been trying (and failing) to pick up :4pikachu: because the matchup spead is good.

He was my 64 main and Melee second, but for some reason I can't get him down this time around.

Top Bottom