• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which character is most affected by Wifi lag?

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I know some of you may argue this should be on the Online discussion board, but since the majority of players here apparently have competitive games online, myself included, I thought this would be more appropriate in the Tactical Discussion section.

Anyways, I'm sooo tired of hearing Wi-Fi johns. All characters are indeed affected in some way or another by Wi-Fi. Some characters actually do relatively well on Wi-Fi, while some find themselves severely hampered by it.

Now I expect tons of people to say their own mains, and thats understandable. Just give your reasons as to why. I would like it if everyone in addition to his or her main if they choose to say so, would also include another character whom is impacted by WiFi. Suggestions for which characters do well online or are not so hampered by it would be cool as well. Finally I'd like to see some ideas as to which characters are more difficult to face online.

This is considering frame lag moreso than input lag. For input delay, at least your mind can adjust to the delay eventually. Frame lag is random and more annoying, not really letting any acclimatization occur .

Characters hampered by online:
The only ones I feel like speaking about right now are:

Sonic(my main, lol): Depending on the Sonic, wifi lag may come into play a lot or a little. A spin dash heavy Sonic won't be as hampered by WiFi as one who is heaving on grabs and tech chases. Sonic relies heavily on spacing(yea all characters do, I know), but he has the gift of speed, which can become a burden on wifi. Imagine trying to space your running adequately when you can cover all of D in less than 60 frames? Landing Highly difficult with frame lag. Also, frame lag contributes to common Sonic suicides like Dair of doom, and SideB bombing.
hits become increasingly difficult, especially on smaller characters.

Marth: Marths are defined by spacing. Knowing when to tip an attack and when to not for combos. Imagine trying to space a tipper, with precision timing, under the frame lag on some matches? nigh impossible. Landing a tipper in such matches are often moreso results of luck rather than actual spacing. As with sonic, landing a tipper on a smaller or quicker character can be troublesome with Wi-Fi lag

Characters not so hampered by online:

Characters with spammable moves, like MK. His hitboxes come out quick, and either stay out for a long time or happen in very quick succession, minimizing the effect of frame lag.

Ike: His moves are slow, and hitboxes stay out for a relatively long time. So from my experience and observations, he doesn't seem to be as hampered as some other chars on the game.

Characters annoying to face online:

MK:
As if he weren't good enough already, timing perfect shields or any other natural ways to get past MK pwnage becomes much more difficult with frame lag. His attacks come out quick so unless you have impecabble timing and luck, chances are you'll get pwnd.

Sonic:
Although Sonic is really negatively affected by online play, some styles of Sonics may be frustrating to play online as well. Just as its hard for Sonic to space anything online, its hard for an opponent to space or land a kill on a Sonic that is constantly on the move. His speed allows him this.

Feel free to disagree! What do you guys think?

Browny

Smash Hater
Ness easily

then marth (omg i cant count how many times dancing blade only does 2 hits and i get punished for it), maybe sonic

Wolf for least hampered by wifi. you cant even drop your shield fast enough from a blocked fsmash before you get dsmashed again :/

z3r0C0oL

Smash Apprentice
Fox.

Small hit boxes, and attacks dont linger. Requires precise timing off-line, online is a joke.

Having the speed and precision down offline is completely ruined as soon as you hop online, its much slower, so the time you spent training your reflexes is wasted, and landing shines or bairs is almost impossible.

Online is the reason i learned Falco, much easier to use, much floatier and attacks that linger with larger hitboxes.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Pikachu and Zair spammers **** online
I heard Peach is pretty bad online...

Luigi player

Smash Master
Well, it depends on how much lag there is.

Lucas and Ness are really screwed up if there is enough lag, because you can't pkthunder properly (which means death most of the time).

I'd say Sonic has a hard time with lag too, because he's so fast. It's hard to run->grab people with lag...

Luigi player

Smash Master
What about him? I don't think he really has any problems with lag. Well, at least not more than others.

Karas

Smash Cadet
At Napilopez, My bro Was Playing Online with his Mk not to long ago. and He Said He couldn't CG because of the lag. so if you ask me thats a pretty suck thing to not be able to.

Pearl Floatzel

Smash Apprentice
Ness. You can't recover.
Lucas too.
Falco's bad. You can't SHL right, and CG isn't possible.

Wolf is easily the easiest to play online. His smash-spamming works there.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I predict this will become a huge wifi johns thread.

really, everyone will be like 'but my main/my friend's main suxzz online!'

It's a really... player based thing.

People will tell you how Sonic is so hard to hit online. Sonic feints are like double effective online because they have to commit to a movement earlier than normal. On the flip side, it's easier for Sonic to run into crap like smashes or projectiles, but they don't wanna look at it from that side of things.

Also, there are varying amounts of lag, and different players handle it differently.

Green-Blue connection, I can play fine just as I would offline. Yellow and worse, I can't. Some people can't even handle green connection lag (They're funny btw, "omgzz .1234 sec lag! i can'zt predic anything11") and like triplejohn about wifi lag.

badidea.

Mizar

Smash Ace
Lol, get good online = get better offline.

Since you have to adjust your reaction time constanly.
And yeah, all chars suck on wifi.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It really depends on how good your connection is. I play online a lot and this what I'd say from experiencing different levels of lag from playing people all over the world:

1. Ice Climbers- Even if you have a really good connection, the timing of the chaingrabs usually becomes faster. They are still possible but you really have to have quick hands to pull them off like you would offline.

2. Wario- Most of his best approach options involve short hopping consistently which can be hard if there's lag.

3. Pokemon Trainer- Fatique becomes even harder to deal with because you're pressured not to switch as often thanks to it taking longer for you to switch your pokemon out.

This is what I think it is anyways.

Tenki

Smash Hero
3. Pokemon Trainer- Fatique becomes even harder to deal with because you're pressured not to switch as often thanks to it taking longer for you to switch your pokemon out.
Well, in general, throwing your opponent off the level (Squirtle D-throw, Charizard D-throw, Ivy... B-throw) is usually a free switch.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
I'd say Marth, by far. Either that or fox. I have no problems with Wario, you just double jump instead, sure you lose out on one combo, but you can approach easy.

D3 has no problems online, in fact, I say its better for him as Fsmash can connect more. CGing characters like Snake and Lucas become pains though.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
People can john all they want i this thread. Just give reasonable justifications.

Ness I knew could be a pain, but I hadn't thought about fox. I guess thats true.

Some_Kind_of_JokÈ?

Smash Apprentice
im gonna vote Wario, and Shiek.

i cant play worth **** with them if theres lag.
but i think alot of people over react about lag, i can VERY often play online with very little to NO lag. i think alot of people played it the first week the game was out, then never used it again. if you find people with good connections its actually perfectly fine.

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
i have a tough time connecting combos so i would say mario is gimped in that respect.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
u ever tried to infinite grab someone with IC on wifi -__- i can barely get in like 6 grabs in a row offline but on it is just a fail

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
IC's chaingrab online timing is almost completely different than offline, so thats bad with CG heavy IC's
Ness is a little harder to reover online, but lag makes PK fire a ***** to escape from.
Ike, Wolf and Lucas are all better online. Like Lucas, if theirs more than 15ms of lag, its nearly impossible to sheild unless you predict it, since it comes out in 15 frames

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
Im going to have to say Link, not only is he good online but anyone who mains Link is used to lag so they are easily adapted to wifi

bigmrak

Smash Rookie
I find that Ike does really well online because his attack range is pretty large. I think it also has something to do with the speed of the character. Marth is fine as long as u don't use his blade dance too much. I've had the best time with Falco though

Reezy989

Smash Cadet
i dont have complaints on wifi until that serious lag kicks in (minus the occasional failure rate of fox's shine on it)

but for real. as soon as some lag kicks in i picture my fox in a wheelchair, cuz he is just THAT crippled, especially in the air, when he floats down all slow, no matter what you do a stronger character will smack you right off the screen

Miles.

Smash Champion
I predict this will become a huge wifi johns thread.

really, everyone will be like 'but my main/my friend's main suxzz online!'

It's a really... player based thing.

People will tell you how Sonic is so hard to hit online. Sonic feints are like double effective online because they have to commit to a movement earlier than normal. On the flip side, it's easier for Sonic to run into crap like smashes or projectiles, but they don't wanna look at it from that side of things.

Also, there are varying amounts of lag, and different players handle it differently.

Green-Blue connection, I can play fine just as I would offline. Yellow and worse, I can't. Some people can't even handle green connection lag (They're funny btw, "omgzz .1234 sec lag! i can'zt predic anything11") and like triplejohn about wifi lag.

badidea.
I have never seen a blue connection!!

Is that better than Green?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
never seen a blue either and i play people that are like 5-10 miles away.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
when talking about serious play all chars are hurt by wifi...

it makes things harder to time, which means you'll be getting unnecessarily punished more...does any char benefit from this?

Maybe Lucario

Top Bottom