• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Where were you when Melee made it to EVO 2013?

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Thread title is self explanatory. What were YOU doing when Melee finally won the drive, and how did you react when you found out? This thread was inspired by this vid of a Thursday night fest that the NY smashers had for the last night of the drive.

Over here in AZ, we had a bunch of people (Axe, Taj, a bunch of ASU players, and myself) come to hang out in a lounge at ASU where we usually hold our weekly Smashfests. We hooked my laptop up to a huge HDTV in the lounge so we could watch the MIOM stream and so we could follow the donation numbers, and during the last 15 minutes of the drive, we were refreshing the WePay pages endlessly to follow every game's progress. Whenever we finally saw that Melee won and that donations were closed, we couldn't believe it. We were jumping, yelling, and hugging the crap out of each other. I'm kinda surprised we didn't wake anyone up since the lounge is in a dorm building.

The very next day, I had to take a picture to get an ID badge printed out for myself. I thought "****, I hate having to force smiles for these pictures. Wait a second..... Melee's going to EVO!" and then I cracked a natural smile and my ID badge looks fantastic.

<3 Melee

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I was asleep in my bed. Stayed up until 2 hrs before but it was too late for me lol. I had just flown back home from staying in MD for a while and was jet lagged and such :[

Vudujin

Smash Lord
I was dreaming that two Puffs were fighting two Ganondorfs on Battlefield. The Puffs won.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
The very next day, I had to take a picture to get an ID badge printed out for myself. I thought "****, I hate having to force smiles for these pictures. Wait a second..... Melee's going to EVO!" and then I cracked a natural smile and my ID badge looks fantastic.
LMFAO

As for me, I planned my whole night according to the donation. Took part in the european podcast til 3, stayed one more hour. I wanted to sleep til 8:30am (the donation was ending at 9), but I first set up my alarm at 6 to avoind being too surprised at 8:30. It was ok so I went back to sleep til 8. Still ok so I went back to sleep til 8h30. Then I saw the numbers, panicked til 8h55, gave a second donation at 8h58 because I was still panicking, and hit F5 furiously til I realized that for some reason, the page of pretty much everyone on the stream was updating faster so I just kep panicking til the end. And then it was goooooooood.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I had a few friends over and we were sooo nervous looking at the donations 5 mins before it ended, when we saw the results+poll closure we were all hype and ****. Jumping and yelling etc.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Laughing at the Final Flash Attack and nearly being moved to tears by Mike's speech in my house.

smopup

Smash Journeyman
I was at a music festival here in Australia. I had to leave the computer just after the MIOM spirit bomb (where the total was about $57k). I actually gasped when I refreshed the page on my phone a couple of hours later and saw the total at $90k+. Best part of my day, even after seeing some killer live acts.

Bob thy dead

Smash Rookie
I was just chillin at my house watching the stream at vgbootcamp, and sadly everyone else was asleep so I couldn't exclaim my excitement for the win.

I did however, stand up and fist pumped with a quiet, but pronounced, YESSSSSSSSSS!

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I went to sleep a couple hours before it ended due to having an obligation early the next morning.

Needless to say, after waking up and checking the final numbers, that was probably the most happy I've ever been at 8am in the morning. Before hitting refresh, I was expecting maybe 70K, but the final number was stunning. Damn.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Sitting online, modeling/texturing a machete for my texture mapping/game modeling classes, and wishing i was asleep because EST yo.
Was awake though.
Then was too excited to sleep looool

Construct

Smash Journeyman
My own bed. I fell asleep watching the stream. The last thing I remember was us hitting 60k and Scar kicking Ken out of the Skype call.

The next morning I woke up, turned my computer on, and started making an egg sandwich for breakfast while it was booting up. It was snowing outside. It looked like Christmas.

I went over to my computer and looked up how much we raised, and I was just completely blown away. It was staggering. Ninety-four THOUSAND DOLLARS. I thought back to the first stream, when Scar was so schocked after he refreshed and we had raised like six thousand. To see how far we had come was completely unreal. I texted and messaged all my smasher friends who had helped donate to tell them the good news. It felt like Christmas.

I forgot about my eggs on the stove and burnt the hell out of them.

Revven

FrankerZ
I had stayed up a little bit past the time I was supposed to go to bed for college the next day. I recall seeing the number floating at around 58k before going to bed though so I missed a lot. On top of that, I couldn't fall asleep right away because I knew the drive was still going and I was missing the number climbing. My anticipation kept me up at least for an hour in my bed before I fell asleep finally and awoke rudely at 6 AM to head out for college.

As soon as I got to school (since my class doesn't start 'til 9:30 AM) I sat my laptop down in my dad's classroom (he's a professor at the college so yah I hang out where he is until my classes start) and immediately looked up the number on the wepay site.

I clenched my fists and raised them in the air proudly and shouted "YESSSSSSSSS, WE WON!" and then said. "94k!? HOLYYYYY CRAAAAAAP" and switched over to the archived stream of the event (the last hour so I could see everybody else's reaction to the number & winning).

Incidentally, I was too hyped up and distracted to go to my first class so I skipped it and continued to browse the web for either salt + tears or pure happiness + tears lol. Suffice to say, there was a lot to read that morning and all throughout the day. To be honest, I'm surprised it wasn't trending on Twitter.

Flipping my **** like a god damn gymnast, is what I was doing.

I started in my bedroom, but quickly rose high enough to scrape the surface of the ****ing sun.

Top Bottom