• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where to start?

Guimartgon

Smash Apprentice
So I'm really interested in Lucario, I love how many options you have in terms of comboing and how versatile he is with the use of charges e.t.c. but I really don't know where to start and can't find any somewhat recent guides. I'm practicing how to do the canceled strings at the moment(particularly Jab 1, Ftilt, Usmash, SideB, although I can't seem to get the Side B to cancel Usmash though) but I don't know how to get further than that in terms of technicality, are there things I'm oblivious of and should totally work on? Other than Shield pressure of course which Lucario is really safe at.

HornBill

Smash Rookie
Pretty much on the same situation as you. I'm new to PM and I'm really interested in learning Lucario, he really sounds like the best character to ever be in a smash game.

I would also like to ask what is considered the best c-stick control setting for lucario (it's a shame setting the c-stick to attack doesn't work normally in PM, it seems like it would be very useful for lucario's combo strings)

CND

Smash Cadet
So I'm really interested in Lucario, I love how many options you have in terms of comboing and how versatile he is with the use of charges e.t.c. but I really don't know where to start and can't find any somewhat recent guides. I'm practicing how to do the canceled strings at the moment(particularly Jab 1, Ftilt, Usmash, SideB, although I can't seem to get the Side B to cancel Usmash though) but I don't know how to get further than that in terms of technicality, are there things I'm oblivious of and should totally work on? Other than Shield pressure of course which Lucario is really safe at.
I think the first thing to work on as Lucario is knowing the magic series and knowing which combos work with what characters. Since that is what it sounds like you are practicing be sure to practice combos on different characters. It is really important to know approximately each character's fall speed (and weight) so you can combo the appropriately. To start you can try switching between practicing on floaty characters (Jigglypuff, Kirby, Zelda, etc.), fastfallers (Fox, Falco, Captain Falcon), and characters in between (Lucario, Ike, etc.). You'll notice that different magic series combos work better or worse on characters dependent on their fall speed and weight. In my opinion, I highly recommend really knowing the magic series and Lucario's combo game.

Also, Up Smash is Lucario's most versatile normal move so try canceling it with different specials at different points to see what happens. Also, you may (or may not know) that Up Smash can be canceled with a jump, so you can do stuff like Up Smash jump cancel one of its later hits then use an aerial (e.g. UpSmash -> JC -> Nair). I think you will have more success jump canceling Up Smash then trying Side B than without the JC, although it might be easier not to in some case (maybe on fast-fallers?). That said although Side B from UpSmash looks cool and can be rewarding, it is usually not the best option out of Up Smash and it might be easier to land aerial force palms from forward airs and down airs.

Also, aura sphere canceling is an important thing to Lucario, although in my personal opinion it is much more helpful to ignore it until you are completely confident with every other aspect of Lucario's combo game against every character. Someone else could probably explain it better, but Aura sphere canceling the act of using aura sphere (neutral b) and immediately canceling it with a shield. It is typically used after an earlier step in thee magic series to essentially reset so you can start a new series so you could do something like Jab -> Ftitlt -> Up Smash -> ASC (on first hit of Up Smash) -> Uptilt -> Up Smash. Probably the use of ASC that is probably the most simple or at least one of the first things people learn about ASC is doing UpSmash chains (Up Smash -> ASC on first hit -> Up Smash -> ASC on first hit...). You can also ASC as a movement by using it in the air and doing b-turnarounds, b-reverses, and wavebounces. ASC has a lot of applications by I do suggest really trying to learn the magic series and the use of aura charges first without significant investment into ASC because I believe it will improve your combo game and allow for a better understanding and appreciation of ASC.

Oh yah, as for guides, I don't think there is a super comprehensive guide on Lucario because of Project M recieving new versions and Lucario is a character with a lot of depth to be covered, but there are some resources. Below in the Lucario section there is a shield pressure guide and a tech skill guide both by Darkgun, and Akkien seems to be working on a really comprehensive guide Also, Fudgepop01 on Reddit is a good resource (here is a small guide written about a year ago https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/2d2t5i/guide_lucario_guide/).

Guimartgon

Smash Apprentice
Thank you so much! This was incredibly useful!. I've been learning how to convert off of dashattacks or jabs into either juggle opportunities via Usmash or edgeguards via Dsmash, I had heard about jumping out of Usmash but I didn't know you could cancel the Usmash animation with a jump, that's amazing!. I've been trying to get a feel for Down B as an approach option and when it is worth using a charge to get a hit in, I guess that comes from playing people rather than labbing in training mode though. Once again, thanks!

Jacuzzi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jaccuzi
3DS FC
0748-3832-8660
Dash dancing in neutral to punish whiffed attacked with either A) Dash Attack or B) USmash and SHFFL Fair are your best friends to land a hit. DownB cancel is good for approaching as well, but you risk missing the attack and burning a charge, so I typically use DownB cancel for combos. And example would be (medium weight and fast fallers at higher percents) a ledge-hopped Fair to counter your opponent's edge-guard, then DownB cancel into either A)UTilit or B)FSmash-slightly charged DSmash, depending on character and percentages. Another good use of comboing with DownB cancel (and, imo, a big "**** you" to your opponent lmao) would be something like (lower percents) Dash-attack>FSmash>DownB cancel DSmash> (if you have a second charge and follow their trajectory correctly) another DownB canceled DSmash/FSmash or an USmash/UTilt for juggle options. You can also ASC Lucario's USmash in 3(?) positions: standing, as he starts rising with the USmash to follow your opponent up, and right at the top to be positioned slightly below them. This is great for platform mindgames/combos. A very quick kill option if your opponent doesn't expect it is DownB cancel Jab1>DSmash, and DTilt to Aerial SideB is a good option as well. UpB cancel>Nair is a prominent kill option as well as using an UAir if you sweetspot it. Dtilt>ASC>Nair and DThrow Nair are also possible kill setups. Back-air is a strong option, as well.
Also, when you get to this point, ASC EVERY aerial if you don't DownB, UpB, or SideB cancel it into something. This makes insane Fair chains possible. First hit of Dair also ALWAYS cancels into SideB.

This wasn't much, but it's all I can think of without any specific questions, hahah. Hope I helped! If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Top Bottom