• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where to Start with Wario

Spark Savage

Smash Rookie
Hey guys just your average player looking for help on where to start with Wario. If I want to make Wario my side main what should I learn , any bread and butter combos? Really anything would help.

DD_

Smash Journeyman
I only started Wario a week and a bit ago so Don't take me for gospel but here is what I got so far:

• The Stickied Frame Data/Move Guide Reflex has written is defs worth the time reading. Not only does it explain every move but also give applications for them
  • Learning to use the aerial mobility to your advantage is a huge plus, focus on spacing well with it and picking your spots
  • If you have the time try to learn how to DACUS, it's a great follow up to a lot of things
  • Something I'm struggling with but Strong Bad makes look so easy is setting up neutral B. If you get some bite setups down you can follow up and get some good pressure.
  • Shoulder Bash is amazing on predictable opponents both on and off he stage
In regards to combos I have no idea I like stringing f-airs into things, and you can get some aerials off dair as well but it really depends on the situation I feel.

adPEXtwinDoNG

Smash Cadet
DTilt shield pokes and combos into itself.
You can also DTilt > Jab Combo > Follow Up.
I usually FSmash right now for followup.

Down Smash is crouch cancelable at ANY percent. Its a nice panic move but can be punished effortlessly if predictable.

DAir > Down B can be a guaranteed kill at high percents. (Wario acts as a projectile.)

If you didn't know already the lag on Side B can be land canceled.
You can also extend a Side B on land by jumping.
Dacus is worth learning if you don't know already. Learn the distance on that. Can be used to follow up certain throws.
Learn the distance you can move towards the ledge while BThrowing. Really useful for gimping characters like Roy.

Players you want to watch are ReflexWonder (A lot of pre 3.0 vids) , Strong Bad (hes been active lately. SKTAR3 vods are available), JReed and SixSaw. (I'll go through the video thread later to see if I missed anyone.)

These are just the things off the top of my head (At 3 AM lol). I'll try to go through the Wario Combo thread and format/organize them.

adPEXtwinDoNG

Smash Cadet
Bite is better than you would think. It is one of his best tools.
OP don't forget about the brave YoloBite suicide. Battlefield your opponents with a command grab and let the salt fly.

Last edited:

Waltz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ryanwaltzwalter1
Shoulder bash is effective but predictable. I recommend Down Smash > Shoulder Bash if you're playing someone not used to Wario. Works well enough for the first 3 or 4 times. Bite is effective but hard to utilize, Uair is extremely effective against Dair's from other, more agile characters. He's got a good wavedash distance and an 'ok' recovery, his tilts are really good for his combos (of which there are few, unfortunately). His up smash on the ground is extremely effective and a good set up for his Uair (the clap). His Dair is good for spikes, and his down smash is probably what you should look to utilize the most. He's got a robust move portfolio and most people don't know the match-up, it's a good character to learn.

*just a side note - I'm not totally familiar with the vocabulary and terms of Smash, I think I used them all correctly here, but if I said something that made no sense, just ask and I'll explain what I meant.

Good luck!

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
It is certainly out of date. It is still a useful tool as long as you are aware of what changed since 2.5

Sourpatch

Smash Cadet
So for someone like me who's been playing project m for like 2 weeks now and main Wario. Where can i see what has changed since 2.5 to try to figure out what doesn't apply anymore or is there an updated guide somewhere ?

adPEXtwinDoNG

Smash Cadet
So for someone like me who's been playing project m for like 2 weeks now and main Wario. Where can i see what has changed since 2.5 to try to figure out what doesn't apply anymore or is there an updated guide somewhere ?
The largest change as far as I know is crouch canceling Side B. Yeah you could stop it on the fly back then. In 2.5 vids you'll see Reflex approach with it and mix it up with a crouch cancel.

MelchizedekVD

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-4632-2309
I have only just recently picked him up in PM, but I like watching Coneyzz at S@X every Tuesday night, and from that I have gathered a few techs to practice.

The first is that utilizing his bite is excellent to halt their offense, but it seems the most assured way of getting it is just dropping down on the enemy (your opponent just gets sucked in no matter what). Also, it seems that one of his best approaches is his forward air, which although weak can give you something to go off of. His grabs are excellent, and have a decent range from what I can tell (plus you can charge his forward air). Above all, he is so different a character than most. If you can get the timing down on his back air and forward tilt, I believe that your Wario can be a valuable asset to your roster.

And you can't forget about his down air, which if used carefully can take care of opponents with poor recovery options.

Best of luck!

Matasd

Smash Cadet
A lot of the people here already said a lot of the stuff you should try and incorporate, but here's my two cents. Wario is absolutely amazing at edge guarding and keeping people off stage. By abusing his aerials you can do all sorts of silly ledge stuff such ass drop down jump up n-air, or the same with a b-air, or even just a fart. You can also either run out and jump to an aerial to knock people out of their recovery. Once you get a feel for his recovery you'll figure out what you can get away with. Don't forget that fart has a recovery aspect as well and will help you get back from a lot of situations and gives you more freedom to get away with stuff.

Mookiefish

Smash Cadet
Crouch Cancel -> Dtilt -> Jump Cancel Grab is a favorite of mine.
You can extend that into so many options such as:
Fthrow for the kill or gimp
Dthrow -> SB tech chase (worst case scenario you end up opposite him on stage)
Dthrow -> DACUS tech chase (varies based on weight and percent)
Bthrow -> Rising Nair off stage for the gimp
Uthrow -> Sour Uair -> Sweet Uair
Uthrow -> Uair -> Fair

There are SO many options, you just have to figure out when and how to use them. Wario can set himself up for a ton of 50/50 situations as well just by landing a bite. If you know what a tomahawk is, that's pretty much how I bite. From there I usually tech chase with more bites or a DACUS/Side B. A tip for biting is to short hop every bite and get good at wavebouncing/Breversing. You can completely throw off your momentum by jumping away and then Breversing right back at them with a chomp. The best part about Wario is how creative you can get with your mobility!

Also, platforms are your friend. Uthrow them to a platform and then tech read with a bite. If they're high enough percent, use your air mobility to strafe back to center stage with them in your mouth and toss them to the other platform. Yoshi's Story is one of Wario's favorite stages just because of this in my opinion.

Finally, footstool combos are so good for Wario. If you don't already, I recommend rebinding L, Y, X, or any other button you don't use to one of the taunts just so you can footstool. The timing and placement of footstool is kinda weird, but once you learn where it is, possibilities start opening up.

Some footstool combos:
Bite -> Footstool -> Dair (Works on heavies at low %, RIP Bowser)
Dair -> Footstool -> Dair (Works amazing in Wario dittos if they miss tech)
Fair -> Fair -> Footstool (Fairs offstage, footstool to meteor, dair if necessary)
and I've even seen Reflex footstool out of Nair
Footstool can also be used to gimp your opponents, or set up a dair offstage if they meteor cancel it.
One thing to note is that you CAN tech footstools, so if your opponent knows this it could ruin the Dair combos.

That's pretty much all I can think of at the moment. If I think of anything else I'll revisit. Also feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I'm not very good, but I like to think I know my character :p

Top Bottom