• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where to purchase quality gamecube controllers

Adm_Will

Smash Rookie
I love smash, and I love playing melee and PM. I've had the same gamecube controllers since I was 6 or 7 (about 10 years) so needless to say I think they're a little old fashioned.

Anyway I know Japan started making plain white controllers, which would be fine if their quality is good.

Also there are the sm4sh controllers available at gamestop, but I remember hearing rumors they weren't as good or broke easily but couldn't refind any sources.

Is there anywhere else besides these? I would die if I found an orange new gamecube controller, but I don't believe they exist...

If you have any helpful links I would appreciate that too.

Thanks in advance :)

Neighbor

Smash Cadet
$70 ??? gtfo
@ A Adm_Will bruh go to lukiegames that website is godlike, has offical gc controllers in multiple colors (black,indigo,white,purple and clear, orange, even fake 3rd party ones if your into that) and wont overcharge you. **** ebay lol.

Narpas_sword

$70 ??? gtfo
@ A Adm_Will bruh go to lukiegames that website is godlike, has offical gc controllers in multiple colors (black,indigo,white,purple and clear, orange, even fake 3rd party ones if your into that) and wont overcharge you. **** ebay lol.

Did you even look at that site?

$22 for an old style OEM 2nd hand one. not new lol.
the rest are knockoffs. or the new white one.

Neighbor

Smash Cadet
yeah i got an orange one and purple and clear controller off there, they came new. on the list of gamecube controllers all the official controllers are under the 3rd party ones

Narpas_sword

Azurie

Smash Cadet
It could just be me, but I personally find the sm4sh GC controller to be fantastic. It's certainly much better than the last few official GC controllers I've purchased.

Neighbor

Smash Cadet
I should have said like new lol. Yeah there used but for that price and the condition its a great deal. Its like if someone with gentle hands played a game of mario kart in 04 and then put it back in the box lol

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
This seems almost too good to be true. $20ish for the old 1st party controllers, in almost new condition? They go for upwards of $50-70 elsewhere iirc...it's perked my interest though. Their return policy seems reasonable enough so I'll probably grab one or two and confirm if Lukie is legit or not.

One thing to keep in mind with "almost new" gamecube controllers is that many stores test gamecube controllers for the basic functions and then stop there. They don't test whether it'll miss quick inputs in a sequence like they might out of playstation or xbox controllers, since smash is just about the only game which would demand that that from a gamecube controller. I've tried grabbing used controllers that appeared basically new for that reason, and in both instances at least one or two buttons weren't responsive 100% of the times.

Last edited:

Neighbor

Smash Cadet
I ordered a purple/clear controller to see if the sites legit with all purchases and it is. My controller came today and works like a brand new controller plus purple/clear controller for $25 is great deal lmao

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
You can still find new non-Smash edition white GameCube controllers on Ebay and Amazon. Here's a picture of mine that's still in its box.

These are generally more expensive than the Smash edition ones but they're manufactured just like the old platinum GC controllers if that appeals to you.

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
Lol I used to call those controllers the worst 3rd party ever; nick named them "Five Below Controller" because the first one a friend of mine ever bought was from a Five Below store. Needless to say, the store's name implys you definitely get what you pay for.

Although, if you find one in a neat color, you can split the controllers shell and custom your own :33

Mine's White on top with Smash Logo, and Pink on the bottom. and I made the Stitch Face Turnip eyes on the very Top.

Adm_Will

Smash Rookie
Wow thanks for the help guys! Is switching shells dangerous at all? I'd kill for a fully workable orange one <3

And if it works I can recycle the same one :p

edit:if I bought a cheap 3rd party spice color could I use that shell?

Last edited:

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
if I bought a cheap 3rd party spice color could I use that shell?
Yup. those god-awful ones like all the way up there are perfect for it. they Controller is a look a like, so minus EVERYTHING but the Shell, its a**, thankfully a Tri-wing Screwdriver is all you need.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Sometimes changing shells makes buttons or triggers feel bad/different, but I've had people that don't mind. Even among first-party controllers the shells have slight variations that can make things feel different.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Update on the status of my controller+wii order from LukieGames (the site that Neighbor was suggesting), I went for free shipping, so it won't arrive until next Tuesday lol. Sorry for the wait. I still think they seem fairly legit though. They have a pretty 90-day return policy, which seemed pretty flexible in taking back purchases regardless of what your issues with it are. Anyhow, I'll take pics and comment on how good they seem whenever they arrive.

Last edited:

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
Sometimes changing shells makes buttons or triggers feel bad/different, but I've had people that don't mind. Even among first-party controllers the shells have slight variations that can make things feel different.
Buttons I can't imagine why unless they were all different sizes or worse; they painted the shell near the button's holes; Triggers I can understand, you have to be very careful to not Pry open the controllers and keep the springs in place. I've actually been interested in trying it without them with a different controller, I heard it makes for really easy wave dashing without changing your L-Cancel rate too much. Who can say.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Controllers are rarely painted by anyone by Nintendo and even then only the silver ones and a select few are painted. The spacing for the buttons is minutely different and that means you have a hard time using Nintendo button pads, and the crappy ones won't line up perfectly and feel weird. Also third-party shells are tighter because they use smaller circuit boards so that can also squish the button pads down as well as put pressure on the joystick around where it pokes through the front. I've had good and bad experiences with swapping, just don't always bet on it. I repair and mod controllers in my free time, but haven't had time in a while.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I ordered one of those fancy Japanese exclusive white Smash edition GameCube controllers. I'll share a picture when it arrives. Interesting, I'm getting it cheaper than a plain Jane black Smash controller since the seller didn't charge tax or shipping charges. Man, I absolutely LOVE buying stuff on-line!

Just a random thought, after playing Project M 3.5 I'm having a difficult time enjoying any of the other permutations of Smash. Project M is so intense that even the newest iteration Sm4sh seems tame by comparison.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
I ordered one of those fancy Japanese exclusive white Smash edition GameCube controllers. I'll share a picture when it arrives. Interesting, I'm getting it cheaper than a plain Jane black Smash controller since the seller didn't charge tax or shipping charges. Man, I absolutely LOVE buying stuff on-line!
Those aren't Japanese-exclusive, you can buy them in-store in the US and elsewhere now iirc. And they're normally priced more cheaply lol. There are some differences between them, but they may be somewhat negligible (you can google em).

Last edited:

Shök

Smash Champion
I've got a platinum GameCube controller still in its original package. Didn't realize they're going for that much now.

Love me some good GCN and N64 controllers. Just hate how the N64 control stick wears down after a couple of months. Thinking about buying some Hori mini-pads.

sunburst777

Smash Rookie
It could just be me, but I personally find the sm4sh GC controller to be fantastic. It's certainly much better than the last few official GC controllers I've purchased.
Anyone have any more opinions regarding the sm4sh controller? I've seen some conflicting opinions and am currently unsure what i should go for.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Look what I got in the mail today! It's the Japanese exclusive white Smash edition GameCube controller.

Got it shipped all the way from Japan for just 26 dollars and 66 cents. That's less than the plain black ones sell for at my local video game store and I didn't even have to pay shipping or taxes. Sweet!

browndunce

Smash Rookie
NNID
leafcruiser3280
What's so bad about the smash edition gamecube controllers on amazon or the gaming shops? They're the same thing but with the smash logo written on it.

CaptainCommunism

Smash Rookie
What annoys me, is that, i have a lot of money to buy a good controller but the only controllers that are good that i can find ar for the Wii U and i want to get one for my Wii. :ohwell:

Top Bottom