• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where the future Pichu mains at?

Anubace

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1091-9942-5575
Switch FC
SW-6515-9983-1691
Is anyone else planning on becoming a Pichu main in Ultimate like I am? Seriously.

Pichu is clearly a pathetic character. He does damage to himself, and this renders almost half his attacks near useless. It required pin-point accuracy and you can't just mess with thunder jolts. But that's one thing it can help with- awareness. Your own attacks are a risk you take, whether it creates an opening for whoever your opponent is, and you can damage yourself as insult to injury. The satisfaction of winning a match with this F tier cutie patootie HAS to be satisfying. The embarrassment of getting bodied by a Pichu is absolutely silly.

I want to main Pichu for the sense of satisfaction and memes. Few can predict his strategy and meta if nobodies gonna play him often, if at all. Thoughts?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You forget that he has top tier tools at heart coming from Pikachu. I believe ESAM has expressed an interest in trying Pichu.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I'm hoping he's at least a little better than he was in Melee because, unlike Kirby, Pichu play doesn't come naturally to me. It's something I'm going to have to work at and I don't know if I want to put in that effort to play a character with no redeeming feature.
Only time will tell if Pichu becomes a regular pick for me.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I'm really looking forward to giving him a shot. In the past two Smash games, I've preferred high risk/high reward characters in Sonic and Jigglypuff, respectively.

I'm hoping Pichu will be that glass cannon fighter.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I have a lot of Pikachu exp in Smash 4. If Pichu isn't a joke, I will absolutely be picking him up as a playable. Definitely not solo maining him though.

Anubace

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1091-9942-5575
Switch FC
SW-6515-9983-1691
I have a lot of Pikachu exp in Smash 4. If Pichu isn't a joke, I will absolutely be picking him up as a playable. Definitely not solo maining him though.
Honestly, even if he's still extremely awful, I'm maining him. I'll def have a side main though, like Young Link.

Keetblade

Smash Rookie
Pichu is a joke character, which will probably mean I`ll pocket/secondary it for memes

DPM15

Smash Cadet
Frankly, I would LOVE to try him out. Whether or not I main is a whole other conversation entirely.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
I'm planning to have him as my secondary if he fits my play-style.

DPM15

Smash Cadet
Forreal though, I know I cannot be the only one that firmly believes that the way rage works in Ultimate could possibly make Pichu a far more powerful fighter than in Melee. Perhaps even to the point of him seeing at least decent tournament results when the game drops.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Forreal though, I know I cannot be the only one that firmly believes that the way rage works in Ultimate could possibly make Pichu a far more powerful fighter than in Melee. Perhaps even to the point of him seeing at least decent tournament results when the game drops.
As a combo-based fighter, rage would honestly hinder Pichu the same way it messed with :4pikachu:'s setups more than it helps, even if it wasn't so frail. ''Luckily'' rage doesn't work like that in Ultimate, requiring far more percent accrued before it noticeably affects knockback.

We gotta stop this rage-spouting, the way we know it in 4 is dead & buried. It now only benefits those able to survive until very high percents and have a healthy supply of KO moves, ie. heavyweights.

Pichu's true strengths will most likely lie in being nigh impossible to score solid hits on, let alone combos, with his tiny frame & mobility assisted by a giant Agility. From there Pichu will score similar combos to Pikachu with his ''cloned'' tools from him. As for the potency of his moves, it's still up in the air.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
As someone who mains a low tier in Smash 4, the thought of maining Pichu doesn't dissuade me as much as it may other people. I will definitely give him a go once the game is out to see if I like him.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
There is a chance that Pichu could be a main for me. There's a lot of other characters that Pichu has to compete with to be my main though. However, whenever I played :pichumelee:Pichu in Melee, I felt overwhelming joy. I could never figure out why I loved Pichu so much, perhaps it's the big floppy ears, I'm a sucker for big floppy ears. I used to hate the idea of self-harming gameplay styles in game, but lately I've been a bit more open-minded to it and it seems like it could be really fun. Also I'm a bit biased towards :ultpichu:Pichu right now because trying to do 100 matches with all characters before ultimate comes out, I'm playing :4pikachu: Pikachu right now. After 50 matches of playing random people in For Glory, I was able to go toe-to-toe with a friend who is a :4pikachu:Pikachu main that has played with him for thousands of hours. The matches were a blast, and I was able to actually win the second match of the 2 we played the other day. The matches felt so awesome. Since :ultridley: Ridley is a character I plan on picking up and I plan on playing Squad Strike battles all the time, I look forward to playing with :ultpichu:Pichu and swap to :ultridley:Ridley (and vice versa) just because they are two characters that are so vastly different.

Booted up Melee the other day, and I gotta say that it feels like you're playing a completely different character when you compared Melee :pikachumelee:Pikachu and :pichumelee:Pichu with Smash 4 :4pikachu:Pikachu. So I'm really curious to see Pichu's changes and gameplay. Will Pichu be more based around it's melee moveset like :4drmario:Dr. Mario was in Smash 4? Or will Pichu be focused on being updated? We don't have a whole lot of info on Pichu. To be honest I do not care how good Pichu is as long as the gameplay is fun and is still adorable. I wonder what taunts Pichu will have. Curious if it'll have a taunt based off the image of it smacking it's butt, because that's like the only time I ever see Pichu nowadays because people love that image.

_Rated D.R.K_

Smash Apprentice
I'm actually interested in using Pichu. I don't know if it's because I enjoy torment, or have come to terms with my fleeting Smash career, I was just looking at Pichu and said "He is perfect."

timrtabor123

Smash Rookie
I plan to pocket main (primary main being ether Young Link, Robin, or an ultimate newcomer) Pichu as a way "getting good". I figured his "unique mechanics" could encourage me to play more skillfully. Also who wouldn't want to be the guy/gal that won with "****ing Pichu". The meme potential would be amazing.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
It depends on whether they “Dr. Mario” him or not. Since he isn’t an Echo I’m hoping Pichu will be more than “masochist Pikachu.”

If thats ALL they are again then I’ll look elsewhere for my main but will probably still play him.

MalachitJR

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2092-6451-4829
Pichu is a clone of a really good pikachu so I doubt he'll be bottom tier again. He'll probably be mid tier and he looks really solid in ultimate. Being the smallest character in the game and really fast means he'll be hard to hit. My main will always be pikachu but I'll definitely put time on pichu.

Maikou

Smash Ace
Pichu shall take on the legendary heroes and villains of Smash and shatter every single one of them. I promise you the most painful and amazing of deaths, at the adorable little paws of the baby thundermouse.

LuisSLS_HQ

Smash Rookie
I would love Pichu to receive improvements to be a viable character. Being considered a joke character does not mean that it should be precisely weak and unplayable to the worst (Wii Fit trainer is low tier but in a way, has its tricks and tools quite useful).

I would like to take notes of the iteration of pichu in Super Smash Flash 2. Especially in the part of his state of "discharge". Introduce some way of having a disadvantage and at the same time an advantage of the self damage. The more damage accumulated, the stronger their attacks become with electric effect. Maybe doing it a little faster could also improve your combo potential. Maybe increase the rank of his Up B.

Quoting the reddit user TheOneSubThrowaway: Keeping its self damage mechanic and light weight, it'd remain a very frail character, but it'd now have the potential offensive power to make up for it. Now Pichu is a high risk, high reward glass cannon instead of the high risk, low reward piece of glass it was in Melee.

LittleMissEevee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FoxieKyu
3DS FC
3711-8557-9264
Switch FC
SW-5003-6584-4623
Right here my dude, I would love to play the new pichu along with lucario, pichu is one of my fave chars in melee to play hehe

LittleMissEevee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FoxieKyu
3DS FC
3711-8557-9264
Switch FC
SW-5003-6584-4623
Pichu is a clone of a really good pikachu so I doubt he'll be bottom tier again. He'll probably be mid tier and he looks really solid in ultimate. Being the smallest character in the game and really fast means he'll be hard to hit. My main will always be pikachu but I'll definitely put time on pichu.
Tbh they probably will have him work very very different this time, he will probably play closer to his melee self but with tweaks that let him stand against the rest, so he will have his nair, that new ftilt and whatnoy

LittleMissEevee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FoxieKyu
3DS FC
3711-8557-9264
Switch FC
SW-5003-6584-4623
I would love Pichu to receive improvements to be a viable character. Being considered a joke character does not mean that it should be precisely weak and unplayable to the worst (Wii Fit trainer is low tier but in a way, has its tricks and tools quite useful).

I would like to take notes of the iteration of pichu in Super Smash Flash 2. Especially in the part of his state of "discharge". Introduce some way of having a disadvantage and at the same time an advantage of the self damage. The more damage accumulated, the stronger their attacks become with electric effect. Maybe doing it a little faster could also improve your combo potential. Maybe increase the rank of his Up B.

Quoting the reddit user TheOneSubThrowaway: Keeping its self damage mechanic and light weight, it'd remain a very frail character, but it'd now have the potential offensive power to make up for it. Now Pichu is a high risk, high reward glass cannon instead of the high risk, low reward piece of glass it was in Melee.
Well good news pichu actually benefits now, see attacking with electric moves adds stun to enemies, so they kind of stay frozen in place for a moment allowing for followups

HappyNagz

Smash Rookie
NNID
VSW1202
3DS FC
3179-6125-3579
Pichu has been very missed on my end, I was so sad not seeing him return in Brawl - Smash4, so seeing him finally come back is a joy! He is going to be sharing my main spot/high second main for sure and I am so excited to play him again. Calling it now, Pichu’s gonna be Top Tier... :ultpichu:

LittleMissEevee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FoxieKyu
3DS FC
3711-8557-9264
Switch FC
SW-5003-6584-4623
Pichu has been very missed on my end, I was so sad not seeing him return in Brawl - Smash4, so seeing him finally come back is a joy! He is going to be sharing my main spot/high second main for sure and I am so excited to play him again. Calling it now, Pichu’s gonna be Top Tier... :ultpichu:
Think he’s gonna be mostly the same in regards to moves, so no new nair and whatnot?, imagine if he gets an invulnerable up b like pika in 64 except with self damage, or maybe even a brawl/4 pika bair too letting him do risky gimps so he can be like young link, a smaller faster classic version of the source character? imagine his combos thanks to the changes to multi hits and whatnot and his new electric stun mechanics its gonna be disgustingly beautiful

HappyNagz

Smash Rookie
NNID
VSW1202
3DS FC
3179-6125-3579
Think he’s gonna be mostly the same in regards to moves, so no new nair and whatnot?, imagine if he gets an invulnerable up b like pika in 64 except with self damage, or maybe even a brawl/4 pika bair too letting him do risky gimps so he can be like young link, a smaller faster classic version of the source character? imagine his combos thanks to the changes to multi hits and whatnot and his new electric stun mechanics its gonna be disgustingly beautiful
Agreed! I feel as though he will be better because of his stun especially that will lead into so much more combo opportunity! I have high hopes for him for sure and I feel like there will definitely be a lot of risk and reward with his gameplay! :172:

LittleMissEevee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FoxieKyu
3DS FC
3711-8557-9264
Switch FC
SW-5003-6584-4623
Agreed! I feel as though he will be better because of his stun especially that will lead into so much more combo opportunity! I have high hopes for him for sure and I feel like there will definitely be a lot of risk and reward with his gameplay! :172:
yup and he can farm rage to top it off too

Gallant Blade

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1118-1379-3691
Man! It’s been a long time since I’ve posted on Smash Boards!

Anyways, having played Pichu in Melee, I am looking forward to Pichu in this game. Thinking about it, it’d make sense to have Pichu overall deal more damage than Pikachu. Since it cannot control its electricity as well, it discharges a lot more, thus more voltage equals more damage.

Another Pichu board said something on how Pichu could be a Bayonetta counter. It’s small hurtbox would allow it to get out of combos easier, its self damage would prevent Bayo combo potential at certain percentages, and if Thunder comes out on frame 1, it’d both break combos and potentially be a KO move.

Man, I’m gonna have a ton of preferred characters! Between Wii Fit Trainer, Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Palutena and Ike, I’m gonna have lots of fun!

LittleMissEevee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FoxieKyu
3DS FC
3711-8557-9264
Switch FC
SW-5003-6584-4623
Man! It’s been a long time since I’ve posted on Smash Boards!

Anyways, having played Pichu in Melee, I am looking forward to Pichu in this game. Thinking about it, it’d make sense to have Pichu overall deal more damage than Pikachu. Since it cannot control its electricity as well, it discharges a lot more, thus more voltage equals more damage.

Another Pichu board said something on how Pichu could be a Bayonetta counter. It’s small hurtbox would allow it to get out of combos easier, its self damage would prevent Bayo combo potential at certain percentages, and if Thunder comes out on frame 1, it’d both break combos and potentially be a KO move.

Man, I’m gonna have a ton of preferred characters! Between Wii Fit Trainer, Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Palutena and Ike, I’m gonna have lots of fun!
Oh yeah dont forget if it stays largly the same as far as moveset goes (like keeping its old nair, having its old smashes but maybe with more range, plus the spice of life changes to hitstun and multihits pichu will have a very strong combo game with high damage potential anyway not only that it can also use electric attacks to stun enemies, ftilt now uses electric discharge to have more range and take advantage of the changes to self damage, and to further top it off, it will have access to a powerful projectile option, the stronges side b in the series and one of the most powerful attacks period, plus it gets a good throw and extreme ko power for a lightweight.... phew the new pichu due to the engine and the changes we know about is probably gonna be godly, it might be melee puff levels of good who knows (press x to doubt) but I for one am excited to see how ky boy fares this time

TaranTr

Smash Rookie
Honestly, even if he's still extremely awful, I'm maining him. I'll def have a side main though, like Young Link.
yes, besides, if that's the case, nothing brings you more credit than beating a high tier character with a joke character.

PlasmaStar2401

Smash Rookie
NNID
PlasmaStar24O1
Is anyone else planning on becoming a Pichu main in Ultimate like I am? Seriously.

Pichu is clearly a pathetic character. He does damage to himself, and this renders almost half his attacks near useless. It required pin-point accuracy and you can't just mess with thunder jolts. But that's one thing it can help with- awareness. Your own attacks are a risk you take, whether it creates an opening for whoever your opponent is, and you can damage yourself as insult to injury. The satisfaction of winning a match with this F tier cutie patootie HAS to be satisfying. The embarrassment of getting bodied by a Pichu is absolutely silly.

I want to main Pichu for the sense of satisfaction and memes. Few can predict his strategy and meta if nobodies gonna play him often, if at all. Thoughts?
lets go

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Me probably. Chorus Kids, Ashley, Bandana Dee, Geno, or Isaac aren't playable, so I guess I'll have to settle with him. He seems pretty fun and funny. It'll be good to finally play him again!

Top Bottom