• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where is Falcon on the tier list?

jer155

Smash Rookie
I've heard many people say he's very high in the tier list, others say he's about low-high tier. where would you place Falcon on the tier list?

Fabulous32

Smash Cadet
There's the "official tier list" that places him as the highest mid teir (14th in the game). Personally I find that reasonable. He tends to struggle against all of the high/top teirs, so it's hard to place him much higher.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
It's hard to place him since this isnt like melee or Brawl; the top tier don't outright murder 85% of the cast. There exists a sizeable mid and high tier, and the placements are gonna fluctuate with time (toon link really should be A tier). 14 sounds...fair? Falcon does do well against the high and mid tier.

The problem with Falcon mains is that they all eventually go mad and place like 39th at every tournament because the offstage reverse-falcon punch *shoulda* worked.

If we had more Fatalities and a much more zen Acid, he could be probably be as high as he was in melee; bottom of the A tier, but realistically he's probs gonna replace cloud and sit in the B tier for the rest of the meta. This is contingent on the rise of serious, optimised, consistent Falcon mains.

lugowy11

Smash Rookie
Honestly falcon is such a weird type of character in smash 4 as he has so many good things going for him, yet somehow doesn't do THAT well in tournaments. Personally i say hes right where he should be on the official tier list, but then again the meta is always changing :)

Yangguizi

Smash Cadet
I tend to think that falcon does very well when played in a low to mid skill level environment. He has some great strengths, and until you start to play against really good players, his weaknesses are minimal. However once you get to that higher level of skill, then falcon suffers due to all of his major problems being very exploitable at high levels of play.

When you are playing against a beginner, you don't really have to worry about getting hit by a super long optimized combo. Gimping is a tactic that newbies, and even decent players, usually just don't feel comfortable attempting, save for some really safe situations. Finally, proper spacing, is something that really just takes time to develop, and you don't see it much until pretty high levels of play.

Falcon is a really great beginner character, and I think that he was designed that way. He can combo with basically the same options out of both a dash attack, and a d-throw. People who are just starting out have a field day with this on fg. All they have to do is alternate running approaches, and bang, they feel like a badass. They also gave him Raptor boost, and falcon kick for getting kills off of rolls, which are super frequent at low levels of play. I could really go on about how great falcon is as a learning character.

Falcon has good tools for higher levels of play as well, but he is super well set up for learning.

Jenknee

Smash Rookie
Falcon is an excellent character at low-mid level because his frame data is amazing, he has simple, easy to pull off combos at a basic level and he's very fluent in sm4sh. Typically at this level you won't be gimped, combo'd heavily due to being a fast-faller, or camped/walled out with projectiles, meaning that a lot of your weaknesses aren't being exploited. Although his recovery is predictable, it takes him places, meaning that he also appears to have a decent recovery. In this scenario, Falcon plays out like a lot of top tiers, however, at a higher level Falcon loses to a lot of high tiers and has difficult matchups vs anybody with good offstage play (pikachu) or defensive/wall play (rosaluma).

Overall though I agree with the 4BR tier list by placing him towards the top end of mid-tier. He's got fast options and decent combos but lacks projectiles, the punish game of somebody like Ryu or the combos of somebody like Mario.

TwoThumbs

Smash Rookie
upper mid-tier. because of his poor recovery and lack of projectile

captain has potential but we all lean heavy on style. which is our downfall top level

Top Bottom