• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where does Roy place among the rest of the FE cast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightswo2

Smash Rookie
Hi guys. I'm new to Smashboards and wanted to say hello since I'm a Roy main.

I was just wondering what you guys thought of how Roy places/fares against the rest of the fire emblem cast? I remember asking some people in my locals this question and got either worst or second worst.

Stryder808

Smash Rookie
Personally, I'd say without a doubt that Corrin and Ike are better than him (the former more so than the latter).

As for Marth and Lucina, it's hard to say since those Marth/Lucina buffs. Personally I think Roy's just a tad better, but I also think that Marth gets more out of being more defensive and Roy gets more out of being aggro, so maybe around even depending on how you play them and how your opponent plays (to counter their playstyle). That's just my take on it, feel free to disagree.

And then I think he's just better than Robin.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Marth is clearly the best Fire Emblem character as of now. Ike, Corrin and Robin also get good results every now and then.

Roy's placement among the FE characters basically comes down to how you view Lucina as a character.

Lightswo2

Smash Rookie
Really?

I thought Corrin would be a bit better than Marth.

Then again I'm honestly not sure since there hasn't been a tier list since 1.1.3.

bmash

Smash Rookie
All the fire emblem characters are similar IMO, taking advantage of a mid-range/ zoning style of play. Each one has its own strengths/weaknesses. Marth and Lucina are near identical except I think most of Marth's damage is at the tip of his blade while lucina's is in the middle.

Corrin is my main, though I am pretty new to playing smash at a higher level. Corrin has a lot of frames on the backend of his attacks which makes him easy to counter and his grab game is weak, but his manuevability I think is the best of all the fire emblem characters.

I haven't touched roy much with SSB4, but he seems to be a bit better than in melee. He plays more around combos like marth, but obviously slower and most of this damage comes from the lower part of his weapon (if I remember correctly).

Overall I would rate as follows: Corrin, Marth, Lucina, Ike, Roy, Robin

Place for corrin obviously up for debate.

TheFez

Smash Rookie
Honestly, Roy falls flat when you start getting to higher levels of play. He has almost no tools to deal with shielding, and his only real approach option is Nair. I don't think he is bottom tier overall, but I would say without a doubt that, in high level play, he is the worst FE rep. The next worst is probably Ike, then Robin, then Lucina, then Marth, then Corrin, but all of those characters are fairly close IMO. They all have more or better approach options, or zoning options in Robin's case, all of them have better recovery, and most of them can kill more consistently. The only thing Roy has going for him is a good punish game and decent mobility.

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
So there's your answer. Roy is severely lacking and everybody is going to give you a different answer about the rest of the FE characters.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
As much as I hate to say it, Roy is clearly bottom tier (basically he's a faster Ganondorf who excels at punishes which isn't going to win you many matches in high level play).

They shouldn't have taken away some of his unique tools from Melee (and they should have spent more time fixing his lacking recovery problems, rather than worsening them by making his main recovery slower to use (Blazer should have had the same exact speed as Dolphin Slash while keeping the buffs it got, along with a height boost to it), it also doesn't help that he doesn't have any combos whatsoever (buffing his air game was pretty much a bad idea as he cannot chain his attacks).

It's a shame that Roy fares far worst in this game than he does in Melee (and we thought Melee Roy was bad, his Smash 4 self is the worst), I would not be shocked if he ends up dead last on the next tier list in August.

Smash Arena

Smash Cadet
NNID
THEGREATSTALIN
Roy is the best Fire Emblem character. Actually, he's the best character in Smash 4. Anyone who tells you otherwise is obviously a degenerate, or worse, a weeaboo who actually plays Fire Emblem. (Roy mains have never played a Fire Emblem game.) Roy is the second coming of Jesus Christ, and will win you any match as long as you believe in the law "In EEEYAA we trust."

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Replies here are kinda skidding away from the original topic point (Roy specifically contrasting to other FE characters), and a few silly responses and otherwise common beaten-to-death type of conversation this sits close to aren't really constructive.

Hopefully you have gotten at least a little bit of insight. Lightswo2.

My stance on Roy in regards to this is that his results are the worst among the FE characters (bar perhaps Lucina), he is difficult to play and more complex than the average FE character to be competent with and his capabilities (metagame) aren't as well fleshed out as other characters (you can take it as an indication of many things, most of which have already been mentioned).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom