• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where does everyone stand on edge cancelling with FW

Time2mosh

Smash Rookie
Do you use it in competitive play or is it a style points kind of thing? Is it worth sinking a ton of time in learning how to time it perfectly? I seem to do it on accident all the time lol

D

Deleted member 189823

If I could, I would definitely like to learn it. I really appreciate aesthethics since the Brawl days. But even in spite of that, I like to try and make these functional. It looks very functional to be able to manuever around and avoid juggles in this game.

tl;dr It might be very useful.

WaddupBoi

Smash Rookie
Really depends on how seriously you take the game. If you're going to compete in tournaments only to win, then yes, you should definitely learn it. But if you're going to tournaments for fun or only want to beat your friends or something less competitive I really wouldn't reccomend going through the hassle of learning the technique. It is really stylish tho.

D

Deleted member 189823

Really depends on how seriously you take the game. If you're going to compete in tournaments only to win, then yes, you should definitely learn it. But if you're going to tournaments for fun or only want to beat your friends or something less competitive I really wouldn't reccomend going through the hassle of learning the technique. It is really stylish tho.
You kind of want it for both reasons. lol

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Zelda has always been a character that needed to pull out as many tricks as possible to net herself a win because of her generally limited options, so you could grab a ko or two with it if you were good. Ven I know was pretty practiced and made good use of it in ssb4. I would say, though, that you can be a functional Zelda main without having it perfected. It’s obviously very style-points as well. There’s also the major risk involved in the past because overshooting was a stock! Zelda is stronger than ever now, so the need to know it is a little smaller.

So, you can learn it as an additional tool, or not. Zelda can work fine without using it. :)

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Yeah it definitely isn't a mandatory skill or anything. It's more of an optimization thing, once you learn everything else about Zelda

It pains me when I see Zeldas doing ledge tricks but not have a good neutral/punish game etc. These things should definitely come first imo. It's the equivalent of the Fox player who perfect pivots everywhere and then can't kill you until 170% lol

D

Deleted member 189823

I think it will definitely help us, considering we need all the landing options we can get.

It pains me when I see Zeldas doing ledge tricks but not have a good neutral/punish game etc. These things should definitely come first imo. It's the equivalent of the Fox player who perfect pivots everywhere and then can't kill you until 170% lol
Definitely. I’d to be that guy...

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
So am I the only one who struggles to do this in this game? I had little issue with this in PM and Sm4sh, but I can't do it at all in this game.

D

Deleted member 189823

Nevermind. Misread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
So this gem popped up in my Youtube feed
https://youtu.be/VOZdgcbrG80

This person also had a very good video for Smash 4, but it went unnoticed for the most part because no one used Zelda in that game lolz. With Farore's being sped up and the Phantom allowing space control, I feel like this tech will be more useful than it has in the past

Just don't ignore your neutral gorls!

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace

This person also had a very good video for Smash 4, but it went unnoticed for the most part because no one used Zelda in that game lolz. With Farore's being sped up and the Phantom allowing space control, I feel like this tech will be more useful than it has in the past

This is a good find. It explains why I had such difficulty pulling this off in this game. I'm not sure how useful it will be in a general sense but it might be good for specific scenarios like getting back on stage or covering distance quickly and safely. Thanks for sharing.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy

That video is amazing.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
I know a lot of Zelda tech from back in Melee, but this is one tech that I never really tried to master because of the KO risk. Didn't seem to be rewarding enough to risk KO'ing on accident. In Sm4sh 'd never attempt it on any FD or Omega stage. Only ever go for platform cancels.

Seems the sweetspot is even smaller in Ultimate so it's gonna be awhile before I try to get good with this tech.

Last edited:
Top Bottom