• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where do you want to go today? Clippit (Clippy) boots up!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
(yes I know this is borderline impossible, but let me dream dammit)
CLIPPIT FOR SMASH!

Every 90s and 00s kid will remember this guy, maybe not fondly, but they'll remember him either way. Clippit, nicknamed "Clippy" by many, was the default "Office Assistant" in early versions of Microsoft Office, however he is commonly associated with Microsoft's Windows line of products as a whole. He's somewhat of a blank slate for the program's user, but he has a somewhat snarky appearance and is capable of transforming into various objects such as bicycles, atoms, and shovels. In his heyday he was parodied at every corner, and eventually after his discontinuation even Microsoft joined in on the mockery

Wait... is Cippit even a game character?
The short answer is no, but in the world of Smash that's a little more vague. Wii Fit Trainer is, by technicality, not from a game. While Wii Fit does include many minigames, the Wii Fit Trainers themselves were not part of the "game" aspect, instead being part of the basic exercises. Similarly, Windows is not a game, but has game-like elements such as easter eggs and minigames - Hall of Tortured Souls, anyone? Not just that, but the Nintendo DS, which is hardware like Windows, is considered a game series by Smash through the Pictochat stages. While Windows doesn't fit the regular eligibility guidelines for a game anywhere else, it would probably fit Smash's guidelines

What would Clippit do?
Clippit is a shapeshifter, a concept that hasn't been fully explored in Smash yet, a lot of his transformations already make for good Smash moves, and adding more wouldn't be too hard given how creative Microsoft got with the transformations, which means there is likely no strict style guide for what he can and can't become.

Additionally, Clippy's potential also comes from Windows itself - iconic Windows staples like the Recycle Bin and Start Menu show potential for moves, and classic Microsoft Entertainment Pack games like Space Cadet 3D Pinball, SkiFree, Chip's Challenge, Solitaire and, of course, Minesweeper could be used in moves, making him almost like a late 90s Mr. G&W.

Does Windows have enough material to use in a Challenger Pack?
You have NO idea just how much Windows could bring in a Challenger Pack. The sample midis have a variety of catchy tunes that could make for great remixes (though I'd prefer their original general midi glory), Title.WMA and its Server 2003 counterpart would fit in Smash too, 3D Pinball's theme is a very epic tune that could be perfect for an orchestral remix, and you could even string together a new song out of iconic sounds from classic Windows versions.

there's a lot of potential for a Windows Spirit Board. It would admittedly be quite hard to construct a battle against the individual Office Assistants, but they could absolutely pull it off

and of course we shouldn't forget the Internet Explorer anime girl, yes, that's a thing, and she's official.

Chip MacCallahan, the yeti, and a Purble could all make easy Spirit Battles to implement being based on actual games

A stage is probably the hardest part of a Windows challenger pack to come up with, the Windows 9x interface could make for a good stage, but I personally prefer the idea of adapting Minesweeper to a stage, or basing a stage loosely on Bliss.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
Mercy on a stick, I've had this idea forever, I definitely support this!
I'd love if he could pull from whatsits like Microsoft Word or modern writing paraphernalia, autocorrecting opponents' damage or centering himself for a recovery alongside all the classic Microsoft references and transformation as you stated!
Essentially being what I'd like the Wii Fit Trainer to be, allowing you a set of tools to directly "train" the opponent into feeding out of your curled fist!

Trevenant

Smash Lord
How would you imagine Clippy functioning? Obviously every fighter has a main draw so what would be Clippy's? Obviously you explain shapeshifting but it would be cool if specified unless you are going full on balls to the wall and just allowing him to shapeshift into anything which would honestly be a yes from me as it would function like classic shapeshifting in those superhero comics that everyone used to read where they could just shift into anything and I support too. Seems pretty funny and a cool idea in general tbh

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Mercy on a stick, I've had this idea forever, I definitely support this!
I'd love if he could pull from whatsits like Microsoft Word or modern writing paraphernalia, autocorrecting opponents' damage or centering himself for a recovery alongside all the classic Microsoft references and transformation as you stated!
Essentially being what I'd like the Wii Fit Trainer to be, allowing you a set of tools to directly "train" the opponent into feeding out of your curled fist!
That autocorrect idea sounds amazing! perhaps it could be a healing counter or something to that effect.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
His Final Smash should be the blue screen of death!
tdOhZxU-blue-screen-of-death-background.jpg

(A WTF character like him would be pretty funny.)

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Clippit actually has an official voice actor - but I'm not sure if they could afford Gilbert Gottfried in Smash, especially to reprise such an obscure role - that being said, Clippit in Smash isn't gonna happen anyway so let's just imagine a timeline where Gilbert Gottfried voices Clippit in Smash.

Top Bottom