• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where do you think corrin stands in Competive play and tier list?

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
This thread:

Also, it's only been two weeks but I'll say that he's better than Mewtwo but worse than Cloud though.

Also @Skitrel, Cloud's down throw will true combo into n-air at mid %'s on certain characters. Limit isn't always needed but it allows the combo to work a bit longer or on certain characters because of the speed increase.

Last edited:

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Also @Skitrel, Cloud's down throw will combo into n-air around 30%-50% depending on weight and if you have Limit. Limit isn't needed but it allows the combo to work a bit longer because of the speed increase.
Do you have a source for the exact circumstances/matchups or know some of them yourself? I'm a stickler for replicating what I read to be completely certain of the circumstances behind it.

Would help to know if I'm missing something in one of my matchups, eliminating point in time where they get something off of grab would close a gap. I tend to play the matchup to the tune of "shield everything and don't worry about grab damage as it's pitiful", but if true that's a dangerous chunk of percent I could do without taking.

I don't know where to put Mewtwo right now, he's lol-good in some important matchups after the patch yet still terrible at a several of them.

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Corrin isn't smash 4 Marth with his ridiculously small tipper. Ours is much larger and easier to land.
Funny you mention this. A number of Marth's normals this patch actually have bigger tippers on them.

Zard lover Doom Desire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
N1ntendogam1ng
And now for my symphony of chaos. Meanwhile, I'll be waiting for the next tier list to come out, and while Corrin may be high on it, depending on how soon it comes out, I assure you it will only be due to lack of knowledge on the matchup. Definitely by the third tier list, we'll be seeing a mid tier Corrin. Well, this is getting slightly annoying so I think I'll just leave this thread until that tier list comes out, see you later, Egyptians! (Props if you actually get that last bit)

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
I think Corrin has a few very powerful tools. A combo game,Tipper fsmash with good range, great counter, movement options, paralyzing projectile with potential deadly follow-ups and mixups with dragon lunge. My first impression is top 15-10.

Jamble

Smash Apprentice
She might be slow but what backs her slowness up is that most moves have very great range.Her fsmash might be predictable but if they roll back you hit them with the tip and that sents them far back plus a predicted roll can be punishable with dsmash since it covers both sides
Sorry, I haven't been here awhile so this may be a slow/irrelevant response, but I feel like at the core, that's the issue. Yeah, Corrin's attacks have great range, and they help zoning out her opponents a lot. The problem is that Corrin lacks the speed to actually maintain that distance consistently. And to be able to kill, Corrin needs to be at that distance, and lacks many good tools to maintain it. Against fast characters, even spaced properly, a lot of Corrin's attacks require constant reads to connect, or avoid being punished, and the reward for those reads, unlike a lot of heavies and whatnot who have the same issue, isn't as significant. Yeah, you can punish backrolls with Corrin, but it takes fighting somebody with either zero common sense or no experience against Corrin to do that with any real consistency.

I'm not saying that makes Corrin bad, or any doomsday sort of sweeping generalization like that. But Corrin's disadvantages against common members of the cast like Mario who she lacks many good options against is a big problem that Corrin players have to be mindful of and address through developing proper counterplays . If people want Corrin to be high tier, they need to be mindful of this and develop their Corrin play accordingly. You can't develop a character without at least acknowledging these problems. Maybe I'm wrong, and a properly used Corrin can deal with characters like Mario pretty well in the right hands. I personally haven't seen enough evidence for that. I'd be shocked if Corrin settled above the likes of Bowser and Donkey Kong when it comes to people's tier lists.

Last edited:

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, I haven't been here awhile so this may be a slow/irrelevant response, but I feel like at the core, that's the issue. Yeah, Corrin's attacks have great range, and they help zoning out her opponents a lot. The problem is that Corrin lacks the speed to actually maintain that distance consistently. And to be able to kill, Corrin needs to be at that distance, and lacks many good tools to maintain it. Against fast characters, even spaced properly, a lot of Corrin's attacks require constant reads to connect, or avoid being punished, and the reward for those reads, unlike a lot of heavies and whatnot who have the same issue, isn't as significant. Yeah, you can punish backrolls with Corrin, but it takes fighting somebody with either zero common sense or no experience against Corrin to do that with any real consistency.

I'm not saying that makes Corrin bad, or any doomsday sort of sweeping generalization like that. But Corrin's disadvantages against common members of the cast like Mario who she lacks many good options against is a big problem that Corrin players have to be mindful of and address through developing proper counterplays . If people want Corrin to be high tier, they need to be mindful of this and develop their Corrin play accordingly. You can't develop a character without at least acknowledging these problems. Maybe I'm wrong, and a properly used Corrin can deal with characters like Mario pretty well in the right hands. I personally haven't seen enough evidence for that. I'd be shocked if Corrin settled above the likes of Bowser and Donkey Kong when it comes to people's tier lists.
This is a good negative response, Ty for this. Though personally I think his/her tools will be able to bringer her to low high/ high tier (by playing stage control heavy game). One things for sure at this point though, they will be worse than sheik, but better than zelda. Anythings else is in the results.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ

The only moves Corrin would need a read for are his smashes. All of his tilts and aerials have great frame data for their range and are quite safe when spaced. Even then, fsmash is a good poke in long range against characters around Mario's speed and slower. To kill, we have excellent options in the form of Uair, Bair, and dragon lunge. All of which can be lead into.

I think we do have great reward for the moves we connect with because of their knockback angles. Most of our moves chain into one another quite well which allows us to wrack up damage faster than most heavies get in one hit.

I don't think Corrin will be a zoner character in the future however. We don't have enough tools for that particular game plan against the faster members of the cast.
Instead, I think we may adopt a more bait and punish style of play or become more Ike-like as in throwing safe moves out in mid range until we see an opening that we can take advantage of.
We have a wide range of options that don't really lean into one playstyle, which means a long road of optimization awaits us.

Last edited:

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
And now for my symphony of chaos. Meanwhile, I'll be waiting for the next tier list to come out, and while Corrin may be high on it, depending on how soon it comes out, I assure you it will only be due to lack of knowledge on the matchup. Definitely by the third tier list, we'll be seeing a mid tier Corrin. Well, this is getting slightly annoying so I think I'll just leave this thread until that tier list comes out, see you later, Egyptians! (Props if you actually get that last bit)
Ok one thing to say, don't act like your opinion is the word of god. None of us here are saying with absolute FACT that Corrin is high tier (l think low high personally). We just believe that's the plausible outcome. Ik people look back at Roy, and then look at Corrrin, and become extremely wary. High lvl players (like with Roy) are calling Corrin great. Corrin though is getting much better results out of the gate compared to Roy (which swayed my opinion a little). You are right about one thing, we do need to wait and see. Corrin's meta needs to develop, and people need to learn the MU. When the dust settles Corrin could be worse than we thought, or better than we could have possibly imagined. This entire thread is speculations, that includes your posts. There is no true outcome on Corrin until we see a future tier list (even then people will contest every placement). At that time though, we can truly see if his high tier hopes are alive or dead. Yet, until that time his hopes are both alive and dead (ahhh Schrodinger).

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
User was warned for this post
An assertion with no explanation?
Hm
In my opinion, sorry I just wanted to put my opinion on here, since I'm busy with school

In my opinion, sorry I just wanted to put my opinion on here, since I'm busy with school
Very quickly put my opinion I mean.

Last edited by a moderator:

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
It was put in a very necessarily condescending way, but all things considered Corrin is most likely to end up in mid-tier bar the discovery of some amazing tech. Even if he doesn't end up being high tier it isn't that big a loss, mid tier is still on the level of characters like Rob, Faptain, Yoshi, Pit, Olimar, and other really good characters frequently mained by top players.

(Btw when I said B-tier, I meant C-tier. It had been a while since I had seen the tier list and forgot B-tier was still in the high tier section)

Zard lover Doom Desire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
N1ntendogam1ng
Ok one thing to say, don't act like your opinion is the word of god. None of us here are saying with absolute FACT that Corrin is high tier (l think low high personally). We just believe that's the plausible outcome. Ik people look back at Roy, and then look at Corrrin, and become extremely wary. High lvl players (like with Roy) are calling Corrin great. Corrin though is getting much better results out of the gate compared to Roy (which swayed my opinion a little). You are right about one thing, we do need to wait and see. Corrin's meta needs to develop, and people need to learn the MU. When the dust settles Corrin could be worse than we thought, or better than we could have possibly imagined. This entire thread is speculations, that includes your posts. There is no true outcome on Corrin until we see a future tier list (even then people will contest every placement). At that time though, we can truly see if his high tier hopes are alive or dead. Yet, until that time his hopes are both alive and dead (ahhh Schrodinger).
Perhaps you're right, I should have stated it differently, but I do truly believe that there is no chance of a high tier Corrin. Of course, there IS the counter that I always feel bad about using...

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
(Just got back from a local tournament) So corrin has the potential to beat shiek but(underlined)it still is in shieks favor.Corrin has great kill options and can space bouncing fish with Nair and bair will kill shiek when she goes for the bouncing fish.Her nb will help you beat shiek because I've noticed with correct timing when shiek flys in the air you can uair her and possibly kill her.But these is all I figure out playing a really good shiek player at tournament

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
(Just got back from a local tournament) So corrin has the potential to beat shiek but(underlined)it still is in shieks favor.Corrin has great kill options and can space bouncing fish with Nair and bair will kill shiek when she goes for the bouncing fish.Her nb will help you beat shiek because I've noticed with correct timing when shiek flys in the air you can uair her and possibly kill her.But these is all I figure out playing a really good shiek player at tournament
Did you not get needle camped?

The matchup becomes extremely tough when the Sheik is forcing us to do all the approaching while getting free needle damage.

With that said, we can actually punish a bunch of Sheik things that most of the cast can't, a rare treat. She does struggle with our extreme range and her need to respect our counter makes her already weak killing game weaker because she can't risk off the top kills.

Fortunately she has real trouble challenging our upB too which means we can recover against her, if she could get a fair out on us during upB it would be all over.

I kind of agree. This is a winnable matchup slightly in her favour.

Fox though... Fox looks like serious trouble. They're running rings around me right now and I'm not sure if we have a single tool capable of stopping their rushdown on us. Everything Corrin does seems to be punishable by Fox.

Last edited:

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Did you not get needle camped?

The matchup becomes extremely tough when the Sheik is forcing us to do all the approaching while getting free needle damage.

With that said, we can actually punish a bunch of Sheik things that most of the cast can't, a rare treat. She does struggle with our extreme range and her need to respect our counter makes her already weak killing game weaker because she can't risk off the top kills.

Fortunately she has real trouble challenging our upB too which means we can recover against her, if she could get a fair out on us during upB it would be all over.

I kind of agree. This is a winnable matchup slightly in her favour.

Fox though... Fox looks like serious trouble. They're running rings around me right now and I'm not sure if we have a single tool capable of stopping their rushdown on us. Everything Corrin does seems to be punishable by Fox.
Yup I did get needle camp but I was able to get around that with dashing shield dashing shield.Fox hmm I still need to see that MU until then Fox from moveset is the hardest to punish

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps you're right, I should have stated it differently, but I do truly believe that there is no chance of a high tier Corrin. Of course, there IS the counter that I always feel bad about using...
I rarely ever use it personally, and feel bad when I do. And to believe as such is fine. I see why you resorted to harsher wording. People should have not gone after your opinion so hard (the devil's advocate is met with harsh back lash my friend... online forums 101).

RosalinA

Smash Ace
Battlefield. These stadiums are really homey.
NNID
EthanDL
3DS FC
3093-7662-4641
Does Corrin lose to Diddy Kong, because I know that IDL (Instant Dragon Lunge) can take away the banana instantly and then get out of the situation before Diddy Kong can punish, taking away Diddy Kong's best move and utility, the tripping.

Last edited:

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Does Corrin lose to Diddy Kong, because I know that DL can take away the banana instantly and then get out of the situation before Diddy Kong can punish, taking away Diddy Kong's best move and utility, the tripping.
It's a even match since they both have spacing tools and have great kill options but that's my thought

RosalinA

Smash Ace
NNID
EthanDL
3DS FC
3093-7662-4641
I feel like Corrin might beat Diddy Kong just because his aerials kill earlier (especially up-air) and his side smash is the perfect edge guarding tool, able to cover all the options except of course just falling down. Not to mention he can dragon lunge the Diddy Kong's up-special, the jetpack, and trap him on stage (on most stages).

RosalinA

Smash Ace
NNID
EthanDL
3DS FC
3093-7662-4641
It's a even match since they both have spacing tools and have great kill options but that's my thought
I feel like Corrin might beat Diddy Kong just because his aerials kill earlier (especially up-air) and his side smash is the perfect edge guarding tool, able to cover all the options except of course just falling down. Not to mention he can dragon lunge the Diddy Kong's up-special, the jetpack, and trap him on stage (on most stages).

RosalinA

Smash Ace
NNID
EthanDL
3DS FC
3093-7662-4641
I think Corrin wins the matchup because all his aerials kill earlier and are safer on shield than Diddy Kong's, and his side special, Dragon Lunge, can trap Diddy Kong off stage with ease when Diddy Kong tries to recover using the jetpack. But that's just me.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
As I've said elsewhere, if you take away Diddy's banana and simply hold onto it the matchup becomes hard for him. Corrin can fight on Bmoves alone. Diddy's gameplay relies on his banana.

Diddy can't aerial string Corrin because he must respect the counter option, so like the rest of the cast it's highly risky for him to go for kills off the top.

IP is safe on Diddy's shield, giving Corrin an option to use that's safe, powerful, a kill move, and can still be used while holding Diddy's banana to prevent him from having his most valuable tool - easy grabs.

I haven't talked about Megaman until now as I didn't have competitive matchup experience against him, but I'm confident now in saying that this principle also applies well to Megaman (though not exactly the same). Grabbing his sawblade vastly reduces his projectile game and turns the matchup in Corrin's favour.

Both Megaman and Diddy are in their favour until Corrin gets hold of those items then they swing in Corrin's favour.

RosalinA

Smash Ace
NNID
EthanDL
3DS FC
3093-7662-4641
As I've said elsewhere, if you take away Diddy's banana and simply hold onto it the matchup becomes hard for him. Corrin can fight on Bmoves alone. Diddy's gameplay relies on his banana.

Diddy can't aerial string Corrin because he must respect the counter option, so like the rest of the cast it's highly risky for him to go for kills off the top.

IP is safe on Diddy's shield, giving Corrin an option to use that's safe, powerful, a kill move, and can still be used while holding Diddy's banana to prevent him from having his most valuable tool - easy grabs.

I haven't talked about Megaman until now as I didn't have competitive matchup experience against him, but I'm confident now in saying that this principle also applies well to Megaman (though not exactly the same). Grabbing his sawblade vastly reduces his projectile game and turns the matchup in Corrin's favour.

Both Megaman and Diddy are in their favour until Corrin gets hold of those items then they swing in Corrin's favour.
I completely agree with you.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Is anyone in this thread going to B.E.A.S.T. with Corrin, besides Ryo, don't know where to look right now for results, and I know he was just released, but Bayonneta has already been showing that she can do a lot of things, same with Cloud, although he has been out for 2 months more than Corrin.
I am and once again you double posted

RosalinA

Smash Ace
NNID
EthanDL
3DS FC
3093-7662-4641
No I didn't, that was the only post about me asking about the tournament, and also, good luck, and I hope you get far.

Is anyone in this thread going to B.E.A.S.T. with Corrin, besides Ryo, don't know where to look right now for results, and I know he was just released, but Bayonneta has already been showing that she can do a lot of things, same with Cloud, although he has been out for 2 months more than Corrin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
No I didn't, that was the only post about me asking about the tournament here, and also, good luck, and I hope you get far.
Double post does not mean the same comments, it means you're eating up the thread replies and giving people alerts for every new reply you make. Post ONE reply with ALL your thoughts on it. Don't make two, or three, or four.

Edit: The fourms are not a chat room you can keep messaging in. If anything do that in the social fourm.

Last edited:

RosalinA

Smash Ace
NNID
EthanDL
3DS FC
3093-7662-4641
Ok, that makes more sense, but onto topics for this thread, does Corrin do better against Toon Link or Link, r are they both a bad matchup for him. I feel like Toon Link would be a worse matchup because he can space Corrin out way better than Link can.

Top Bottom