• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where do you guys think Diddy Kong is on the tier list?

Where on the tier list is Diddy Kong

• Total voters

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
I'm curious about what other Diddy Kong mains think their character is on the tier list?

I personally think Diddy Kong is definitely a contender for Top 5 with the results he has gotten from ZeRo even after these nerfs beating every Sheik player who is considered the best character in the game. Amazing neutral game, amazing grab combos even at late percents,monkey flip which can also be B Reversed for stage movement and mix ups, has a variety of advanced techniques which can maximize Diddy Kong's potential, has a command grab which can also be a kick which can then combo into F-Air, great range on F-Air to wall out opponents, D-Tilt combos into itself and grab and becomes a kill setup into upsmash, banana which is an amazing projectile that allows you to follow up with any move and any kill move. Most kill confirms in the game. Also that down taunt.... top tier.

What do guys think about :4diddy:?

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
I'm curious about what other Diddy Kong mains think their character is on the tier list?

I personally think Diddy Kong is definitely a contender for Top 5 with the results he has gotten from ZeRo even after these nerfs beating every Sheik player who is considered the best character in the game. Amazing neutral game, amazing grab combos even at late percents,monkey flip which can also be B Reversed for stage movement and mix ups, has a variety of advanced techniques which can maximize Diddy Kong's potential, has a command grab which can also be a kick which can then combo into F-Air, great range on F-Air to wall out opponents, D-Tilt combos into itself and becomes a kill setup into upsmash, banana which is an amazing projectile that allows you to follow up with any move and any kill move. Most kill confirms in the game. Also that down taunt.... top tier.

What do guys think about :4diddy:?
Even though ZeRo manages to beat Shiek with Diddy, we have to realize that ZeRo is just the best. MVD and Angel Cortez both went to G#, and even though they are both great players, they lost in pools. we can't judge diddy's placement by one persons achievements alone. Is he a good character, yes. But he has downsides, and some weird MU's as well.

Juneau

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0748-5905-6690
Used to be the best, now he's just almost the best.

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
Even though ZeRo manages to beat Shiek with Diddy, we have to realize that ZeRo is just the best. MVD and Angel Cortez both went to G#, and even though they are both great players, they lost in pools. we can't judge diddy's placement by one persons achievements alone. Is he a good character, yes. But he has downsides, and some weird MU's as well.
I get what you are trying to say but Angel Cortes beat 9B though which was a great accomplishment for Diddy Kong. Also remember, ZeRo plays to win. He wouldn't be using Diddy Kong if he knew he was at a significant disadvantage. He is the best player so I can't imagine learning a new character would be that hard for him so he had stay Diddy Kong for a reason right? Yes I know he plays Sheik as well and he used Diddy before the patches so he has the most experience with him but still why wouldn't he just use ZSS, Ryu, or another top tier with an assumed better matchup against Sheik to avoid the Sheik ditto?

Sonicninja115

I get what you are trying to say but Angel Cortes beat 9B though which was a great accomplishment for Diddy Kong. Also remember, ZeRo plays to win. He wouldn't be using Diddy Kong if he knew he was at a significant disadvantage. He is the best player so I can't imagine learning a new character would be that hard for him so he had stay Diddy Kong for a reason right? Yes I know he plays Sheik as well and he used Diddy before the patches so he has the most experience with him but still why wouldn't he just use ZSS, Ryu, or another top tier with an assumed better matchup against Sheik to avoid the Sheik ditto?
He plays Diddy because he loves the playstyle and character. He mentions this on twitter and in interviews. Besides that, the win was good, but I don't put too much stock in it. It was a good win, but not a huge upset, more like Larry beating Void in terms of upsets. Nice to see happen, but not completely unpredicted. Also, did angel play diddy or shiek?

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
He plays Diddy because he loves the playstyle and character. He mentions this on twitter and in interviews. Besides that, the win was good, but I don't put too much stock in it. It was a good win, but not a huge upset, more like Larry beating Void in terms of upsets. Nice to see happen, but not completely unpredicted. Also, did angel play diddy or shiek?
He played Diddy

Sonicninja115

He played Diddy
Ok, he picked up Shiek a while ago and I haven't seen too much of him since.

Also, new meta thing courtesy of ZeRo, JC Banana toss up-Uthrow-Banana-Uair. If done correctly, the opponent is hit by the banana, making it a true combo. I think it also just limits their DI ability, as they don't want to get hit by the banana.

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
Ok, he picked up Shiek a while ago and I haven't seen too much of him since.

Also, new meta thing courtesy of ZeRo, JC Banana toss up-Uthrow-Banana-Uair. If done correctly, the opponent is hit by the banana, making it a true combo. I think it also just limits their DI ability, as they don't want to get hit by the banana.
I figured this out accidentally lol, It's a pretty good option because it stuns them in the air.

Also to the people voting Top 15, I don't understand how you think Diddy Kong is that low. A character with this many options is at least top 10 in my opinion. Explain?

Sonicninja115

I figured this out accidentally lol, It's a pretty good option because it stuns them in the air.

Also to the people voting Top 15, I don't understand how you think Diddy Kong is that low. A character with this many options is at least top 10 in my opinion. Explain?
It might have to do with MVD placing him that low.

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
This is my Tier List to those wondering why I think Diddy is Top 5.

S: :4sheik:

A: :4zss::rosalina::4sonic::4metaknight::4diddy::4fox::4ryu::4pikachu::4cloud2::4mario::4villager::4ness:

I'm curious to see other Diddy Kong mains tier lists too so post yours

Last edited:

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
It might have to do with MVD placing him that low.
MVD underrates his main so much lol. I think Diddy is top 10 at least because there are only like 12 top tiers in the game and I'm pretty sure Diddy is better than at least two of them.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

:4sheik:Small step:4zss::rosalina:
Un ordered:4fox::4pikachu::4metaknight::4ryu:small step:4diddy::4ness::4mario::4sonic:

Soon to be added:4cloud::4villager:, it depends on what happens with them.

Heart of Ice

Smash Cadet
At the moment I feel he is probably at the 12-13 slot in terms of viability. Still it really makes me scratch my head how many people ditched Diddy after 1.06 and to a lesser extent 1.08. The banana is an amazing special that could make even the worst characters (Although, Diddy is already great without it) jump several tiers. (lol, Ganondorf with a banana would be f***ing hilarious).

If only I had made my banana thread good off the bat and maybe we wouldn't have had so many Diddy deserters. Either that or they were just "top teers".

Real talk here, why was he nerfed in the first place? DI'ing away from Diddy's D-Throw was apparently too hard I guess? I'm only maybe a tier or two above a For Glory scrub, but even I knew to DI away (and so did my casual younger brother, so no excuses!). I even had one really funny For Glory match where I was playing against an opposing Diddy and they tried to Hoo-Hah me ~15 times. They flubbed it every single time, but the best part was when they decided to Self-Destruct themselves twice, because of salt. I guess he realized that Diddy wasn't a click-to-win button?

I know that now Sheik seems to be coming under fire for being a "click-to-win" button. (A time honored tradition for any character in the #1 spot, I guess.) I even heard someone say Sheik takes no skill at all. I can tell you first hand this is not true. Following the 1.08 patch I tried to pick up Sheik as a secondary to try and overcome some of Diddy's bad matchups. I thought of her as the most natural choice as she is more or less a Diddy Kong with reliable recovery and an offstage game. Yeah, Sheik is technical as f*** and I REALLY suck with her (I had to drop her, because I was bringing great shame to the Sheik boards). I can tell there are definitely big benefits to putting the time into learning Sheik, but the skill floor on Sheik is just as crazy as the skill ceiling.

I don't know about you guys, but I MUCH prefer productive forums with a steady circulation of ATs, Strategies, Playstyles, and Guides being shared as opposed to whiny forums full of "X is OP!!! Pls nerf Samurai!!!". We're getting soft bros, sooner or later these patches will stop and we will HAVE to adapt. I just worry that the Sm4sh community will get so apathetic about overcoming character matchups that it just dies out, because no one has developed this skill or mindset yet.

*Wow! That was a bit off topic, but this reminder of how bad Diddy was nerfed reminded me of some pent-up frusturations that I really needed to vent!*

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
At the moment I feel he is probably at the 12-13 slot in terms of viability. Still it really makes me scratch my head how many people ditched Diddy after 1.06 and to a lesser extent 1.08. The banana is an amazing special that could make even the worst characters (Although, Diddy is already great without it) jump several tiers. (lol, Ganondorf with a banana would be f***ing hilarious).

If only I had made my banana thread good off the bat and maybe we wouldn't have had so many Diddy deserters. Either that or they were just "top teers".

Real talk here, why was he nerfed in the first place? DI'ing away from Diddy's D-Throw was apparently too hard I guess? I'm only maybe a tier or two above a For Glory scrub, but even I knew to DI away (and so did my casual younger brother, so no excuses!). I even had one really funny For Glory match where I was playing against an opposing Diddy and they tried to Hoo-Hah me ~15 times. They flubbed it every single time, but the best part was when they decided to Self-Destruct themselves twice, because of salt. I guess he realized that Diddy wasn't a click-to-win button?

I know that now Sheik seems to be coming under fire for being a "click-to-win" button. (A time honored tradition for any character in the #1 spot, I guess.) I even heard someone say Sheik takes no skill at all. I can tell you first hand this is not true. Following the 1.08 patch I tried to pick up Sheik as a secondary to try and overcome some of Diddy's bad matchups. I thought of her as the most natural choice as she is more or less a Diddy Kong with reliable recovery and an offstage game. Yeah, Sheik is technical as f*** and I REALLY suck with her (I had to drop her, because I was bringing great shame to the Sheik boards). I can tell there are definitely big benefits to putting the time into learning Sheik, but the skill floor on Sheik is just as crazy as the skill ceiling.

I don't know about you guys, but I MUCH prefer productive forums with a steady circulation of ATs, Strategies, Playstyles, and Guides being shared as opposed to whiny forums full of "X is OP!!! Pls nerf Samurai!!!". We're getting soft bros, sooner or later these patches will stop and we will HAVE to adapt. I just worry that the Sm4sh community will get so apathetic about overcoming character matchups that it just dies out, because no one has developed this skill or mindset yet.

*Wow! That was a bit off topic, but this reminder of how bad Diddy was nerfed reminded me of some pent-up frusturations that I really needed to vent!*
I agree with you. I hate nerfs just as much as you do but in a way I'm kind of glad he got nerfed the first time because it gave us more room for creativity rather than relying on downthrow up air the whole game and less salt for using Diddy. I thought 1.0.8 was ridiculously stupid though and unnecessary especially since there were better characters at that time who didn't get touched. However in 1.1.0 he got buffed again and made Diddy much better again as well as making his moves much safer on shield which is huge for us. I agree in 1.0.8 he was much lower on the tier list due to his moves being less safe and having a weaker up/down smash which were later buffed in 1.1.0.

It would be a god send though if the Bayonetta patch rebuffed Diddy Kong to his 1.0.6 form while keeping all of his buffs from 1.1.0. It would make Diddy Top 3 imo. I know it might be a little greedy since there are much worse characters deserving of a buff but I rock the Buff Diddy tag lol.

Last edited:

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
I recently just started to pick up Diddy and am making him one of my mains. (currently a Ness main with some Fox on the side) I enjoy his play style a lot, I'd just describe it as plain old fun. I've been wondering what his placement would be on the tier list though, I see its mixed with a side saying top 15 and a side saying top 10. Imo, I think he's easily a top 10 contender. He honestly seems pretty strong and overall better than my main (Ness).

Every character has their weaknesses; but what about Diddy makes him lackluster enough to drop out of top 10? And if he's NOT in the top 10, which characters would have to be in there instead of him? Yoshi? Luigi? Ness? Villager? I see a lot of people rating all of those characters below top 10, especially Ness. So it doesn't really fit to me- unless you're putting odd characters up that high. Zero recently made a top 10 list for viable solo mains. He put Diddy relatively high on there (I know it's one of his mains). People will say "Yeah, well he's Zero - that's why he gets results." If that were the case, I think we'd see a lot of top players doing well with the weaker side of the roster. Also, Abadango's tier list (which represents a large portion of Japan's metagame) rates Diddy relatively high.. despite the odd placements (like having Luigi and Ness near the bottom)

A question I have to ask is, what does the future look like for Diddy? Is he a character that can potentially rise or fall on the tier list? I know he got nerfed and hes not the Brawl Diddy, but will he always be an imposing force?

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
I recently just started to pick up Diddy and am making him one of my mains. (currently a Ness main with some Fox on the side) I enjoy his play style a lot, I'd just describe it as plain old fun. I've been wondering what his placement would be on the tier list though, I see its mixed with a side saying top 15 and a side saying top 10. Imo, I think he's easily a top 10 contender. He honestly seems pretty strong and overall better than my main (Ness).

Every character has their weaknesses; but what about Diddy makes him lackluster enough to drop out of top 10? And if he's NOT in the top 10, which characters would have to be in there instead of him? Yoshi? Luigi? Ness? Villager? I see a lot of people rating all of those characters below top 10, especially Ness. So it doesn't really fit to me- unless you're putting odd characters up that high. Zero recently made a top 10 list for viable solo mains. He put Diddy relatively high on there (I know it's one of his mains). People will say "Yeah, well he's Zero - that's why he gets results." If that were the case, I think we'd see a lot of top players doing well with the weaker side of the roster. Also, Abadango's tier list (which represents a large portion of Japan's metagame) rates Diddy relatively high.. despite the odd placements (like having Luigi and Ness near the bottom)

A question I have to ask is, what does the future look like for Diddy? Is he a character that can potentially rise or fall on the tier list? I know he got nerfed and hes not the Brawl Diddy, but will he always be an imposing force?
I believe that Diddy is always going to remain top tier. He has many advanced techniques that haven't even been brought out to their fullest potential yet. Diddy is a great character with a top tier neutral game.

Also to the people saying Diddy isn't top 10, who is top 10 then to you?

Do you really think :4ness: and :4villager: are better than Diddy? I don't think so. Argue Ranai all you want but if you are ignoring results since you are obviously ignoring ZeRo's why is Ranai all of a sudden being considered why Villager is top 10? when Diddy Kong has not only better results but more reps.

Last edited:

Heart of Ice

Smash Cadet
I believe that Diddy is always going to remain top tier. He has many advanced techniques that haven't even been brought out to their fullest potential yet. Diddy is a great character with a top tier neutral game.

Also to the people saying Diddy isn't top 10, who is top 10 then to you?

Do you really think :4ness: and :4villager: are better than Diddy? I don't think so. Argue Ranai all you want but if you are ignoring results since you are obviously ignoring ZeRo's why is Ranai all of a sudden being considered why Villager is top 10? when Diddy Kong has not only better results but more reps.
The reason I'm in the top 15 camp is like what you just said about some techs haven't been brought to full (if any) potential yet.

ZeRo's Diddy Kong is quite impressive and gives me a lot of hope, but I'm not willing to jump to conclusions yet..

For the most part, I'm just embracing the worst case scenario.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

I am working on the boards a lot. More so the Mewtwo then the diddy, but I am still labbing and adding to the guide. If anyone wants help labbing something or wants confirmation, I can help. I am extremely technical, so few advanced techs are overly hard for me. (Not bragging, just qualifications) If anyone wants to have a tech discussion, we always have the metagame thread.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
If you think it's strange people are saying Diddy isn't top 10 why did you make the responses go all the way down to top 30?

I think he's a contender for top 5, but he's more on a :4mario::4pikachu::4fox: level than a :4fox::4sonic::4ryu: one if that makes any sense. He's probably somewhere in that 6-10 range, sometimes I feel like this character has to work too hard and sometimes I feel like he doesn't have to work hard at all. I think that's because Diddy shines in neutral, which is all about hard work, and he doesn't have any truly abusive or oppressive options in advantage or disadvantage that many other top tiers have. Played optimally he's almost certainly better than the Marios and the Nesses and the Meta Knights and he suddenly looks a lot better than even Ryu or Sonic, but nobody is really at that level except for arguably Diddy and at lower levels I'm not convinced he's a better choice than any of the characters I've just listed.

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
If you think it's strange people are saying Diddy isn't top 10 why did you make the responses go all the way down to top 30?

I think he's a contender for top 5, but he's more on a :4mario::4pikachu::4fox: level than a :4fox::4sonic::4ryu: one if that makes any sense. He's probably somewhere in that 6-10 range, sometimes I feel like this character has to work too hard and sometimes I feel like he doesn't have to work hard at all. I think that's because Diddy shines in neutral, which is all about hard work, and he doesn't have any truly abusive or oppressive options in advantage or disadvantage that many other top tiers have. Played optimally he's almost certainly better than the Marios and the Nesses and the Meta Knights and he suddenly looks a lot better than even Ryu or Sonic, but nobody is really at that level except for arguably Diddy and at lower levels I'm not convinced he's a better choice than any of the characters I've just listed.
Yeah the top tiers that I think :4diddy:is better than are :4mario::4pikachu::4fox::4ness::4villager: and maybe:4ryu: :4sonic::4metaknight:. I don't think he is better than :4sheik::4zss::rosalina: though. Diddy's kill options are really good compared to most of these top tiers because of his banana confirms and d-tilt to upsmash. Compare that to a character like :4pikachu: who really has to work hard for his kills which is why I don't really think Pikachu is top 5.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
at this moment I feel the top are (not specifically in this order, but almost) :
-Sheik and Ryu
-Rosalina
-Mario, ZSS and Pikachu
-Fox
-Villager

this was the top8. The last 2 slots in the top10 imho are contended by:
Metaknight, Ness, Sonic, Diddy, Luigi, Cloud and Yoshi

count all the characters I have listed. They are exactly 15.
So in conclusion I think that: Diddy is likely top10 but almost surely not top8; he is surely in the top15, though

ps: C.Falcon in top20, very likely he is 16th

Last edited:

PenguinStorm

Smash Rookie
If I had to make a top 15 tier list, I'd probably put Diddy in about 7th or 8th. He's definitely a top tier pick, but it's hard to put him anywhere but just outside the top 5. Characters like Sonic and Ryu are too solid in to put Diddy any higher. Here's my best attempt at a top tier list:
S: :4sheik: :4zss:
A: :rosalina: :4sonic: :4metaknight: :4ryu::4pikachu: :4diddy::4mario: :4cloud: :4fox::4villager: :4ness:

Last edited:

Mileo279

Smash Cadet
I feel DIDDY is top ten my top 15 would go
Top 5
:4sheik::4sonic::rosalina::4ryu::4pikachu:
Top ten
:4villager::4zss::4metaknight::4fox::4diddy:
Top 15
:4luigi::4mario::4ness::4cloud::4falcon:
In no particular order and :4yoshi: is a maybe

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
A month or two ago I'd have him as top 5. Not now though, now i'll have him around the 6th/7th spot.

S::4sheik::4zss::rosalina::4ryu:
A::4pikachu::4metaknight::4diddy:

I'm honestly not sure what his problems are (as opposed to Pikachu who has very obvious problems/flaws). Everyone would say it's the Sheik matchup, but I honestly find Rosalina way more threatening than Sheik, Sheik only wins because she dominates off stage and that can be worked around with mixups and smart recovery, whereas Rosalina just straight up shuts down a lot of Diddy's tools, in addition to pretty much only being able to kill Luma with side b. That, and she dominates off stage (or at least, edgeguards) better than Sheik does in the matchup.

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
A month or two ago I'd have him as top 5. Not now though, now i'll have him around the 6th/7th spot.

S::4sheik::4zss::rosalina::4ryu:
A::4pikachu::4metaknight::4diddy:

I'm honestly not sure what his problems are (as opposed to Pikachu who has very obvious problems/flaws). Everyone would say it's the Sheik matchup, but I honestly find Rosalina way more threatening than Sheik, Sheik only wins because she dominates off stage and that can be worked around with mixups and smart recovery, whereas Rosalina just straight up shuts down a lot of Diddy's tools, in addition to pretty much only being able to kill Luma with side b. That, and she dominates off stage (or at least, edgeguards) better than Sheik does in the matchup.
Sheik kinda bodies Diddy offstage but he's one of the only characters who can actually compete with her in neutral. While it's certainly in Sheik's favour I don't think I've ever heard anyone say Sheik is a super problematic matchup for Diddy. I wouldn't be surprised if Diddy was in the top five for best matchups against Sheik.

I'm getting better at the Rosa matchup but I think it's probably our worst, so I largely agree with you there.

PenguinStorm

Smash Rookie
Rosalina and Villager are the worst Diddy's matchup, imho

Cloud also gives Diddy some trouble. His insane range enables him to edgeguard quite easily. Cloud's neutral b can destroy the banana and peanut so Diddy is forced to challenge his sword. He might be one of his worst match ups, just because of how ridiculously hard it is to keep up with Cloud's punish game.

Top Bottom